Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mavic Aksium?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Mavic Aksium?

Old 06-08-19, 01:01 PM
filipw1990

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mavic Aksium?

Hey,

I am thinking about new wheelset for next season. Right now I have Shimano WH-R501. Plan is to "learn" to ride on road bike on this wheelset and change to something little better after winter.

Currently I found:

- Mavic Aksium 2019
- Vision Team 30

What do you think? Are Aksiums ok for very light person?
Old 06-08-19, 01:13 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Those 3 wheel sets are all the same.... between 1800 and 1900 grams. On the heavy side.
I would just ride the Shimano 501s until you have more $ to get lighter wheelset.... try for at least under 1600 grams.
They all have system weight of 120kg.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 06-08-19, 03:45 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
I also prefer the shimano system for everything except high dollar stuff.

Why?

well the shimano hubs are cup and cone and serviceable. and you can flush the freehub with oil while you have if off.

the rest of the cheap systems are not that servicable and adjustable. not shimano level at least.

also shimano makes maybe 10-100-1000 times as many wheels as vision and mavic combined, so its highly unlikely anything they make is actually better for a given price. they have the real mass production capability. and with mass production comes low price for a given quality.

------------

You are probably just wasting money up to maybe 500-1k€ level. then you may get better quality.
But they might not be better durability. since all expensive wheels are 20/24spoke or less. and thats not really a durable choice. 32/32 is.

I actually managed to build 200g lighter wheels than my shimano rs010 set. the shimanos were 120-130€, and they needed to be cracked open for gresing and adjustment when new. as all shimanos!

i got Archetype rims f/r
dt240 f/r
54t ratchet
28/32 spoke dt comp 2,0-1,8-2,0mm, brass nipples

and they are 200g lighter than the shimanos. AND more durable, and probably more aero. and only 700-750€ or so more expensive. (only lol)

and i have noticed absolutely nothing is speed gains. physics, unfortunately. 200g is not gonna turn you into lance.
Old 06-08-19, 04:40 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6174 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
It looks like a sideways move. You aren't losing much weight and little to none aerodynamic differences. Save your money unless you just want a spare set of wheel. If you do, then consider putting a really good race performance tire on them for the times you want to do your best and will be on a surface that you don't have to worry about road hazards that flat the tire.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-09-19 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-08-19, 06:31 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10147 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 3,144 Posts
I have a pair of Vision Team 30s, which came on a bike. They were much more than strong enough for my 145 lbs, and good enough quality for the price, but the set weighs 1900 g or something and I can’t imagine them as any sort of upgrade. They’re disc wheels or I’d offer them to you cheap. Agree with those saying to wait until you can get a set at or under under 1600 g.
Old 06-09-19, 07:00 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
If I may chime in - I think everyone is right. Saving 200-300g will make you marginally faster, and the wheels you’re currently looking at don’t even achieve that.

However, going to a *much* wider rim should deliver some tangible improvements in comfort (and therefore speed) along with grip. In theory anyway - I’ll know in a month or so. By wider I mean 20-25mm internal width. You can use 25mm tires even on 23mm rims, especially if you’re light. The wheels you’re looking at probably have a 17mm inner width, which is pretty traditional.

EDIT: Your Shimano wheels and many others are actually a very outdated 15mm.

Double EDIT: And the vision team 30s are 19mm. Which is more on the modern side. The aksiums are actually 17mm though.

Last edited by smashndash; 06-09-19 at 07:05 AM.
Old 06-12-19, 06:42 AM
OUGrad05

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by filipw1990
Hey,

I am thinking about new wheelset for next season. Right now I have Shimano WH-R501. Plan is to "learn" to ride on road bike on this wheelset and change to something little better after winter.

Currently I found:

- Mavic Aksium 2019
- Vision Team 30

What do you think? Are Aksiums ok for very light person?
Keep your Shimanos until you can buy something lighter, more aero and with wider internal rim width. I just spent $1,300 on some Reynolds wheels that were money well spent. They're light, stiff, aero and pretty affordable for a carbon rim. Yes there was a speed gain but it was marginal with the wheels and tires. Maybe .2 to .4 mph. Not small but it's not life changing. Stick with your Shimanos for now.
Old 06-15-19, 10:25 AM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
EDIT: Your Shimano wheels and many others are actually a very outdated 15mm..
you can run 45mm on 15mm inner if you want to.

i run 52mm on 19mm inner, no problem there.

but yeas yo probably want to reside on 1,5x the inner width for very good support. or optimal support.

most rims today are 19-20 or so. so a 28-30mm will be very optimal. but you can go a lot wider if needed. A LOT!

My fendered lunskey ti rain/winter bike has about 19mm and 22 or so inner rim width. and i'm running a 32 up front and a 37mm rear schwalbe marathon supreme, and i can basically lay it down until my pedals start grinding on the ground. with confidence too. and nowhere and no time does this feel sketchy nor unsafe. i can basically put that bike into the ground before it starts getting weird. and i guess thats how it works with all bikes. and all suffieciently good tires. i can vouch for this at least.
Old 06-15-19, 02:55 PM
smashndash

Originally Posted by carlos danger
you can run 45mm on 15mm inner if you want to.

i run 52mm on 19mm inner, no problem there.

but yeas yo probably want to reside on 1,5x the inner width for very good support. or optimal support.

most rims today are 19-20 or so. so a 28-30mm will be very optimal. but you can go a lot wider if needed. A LOT!

My fendered lunskey ti rain/winter bike has about 19mm and 22 or so inner rim width. and i'm running a 32 up front and a 37mm rear schwalbe marathon supreme, and i can basically lay it down until my pedals start grinding on the ground. with confidence too. and nowhere and no time does this feel sketchy nor unsafe. i can basically put that bike into the ground before it starts getting weird. and i guess thats how it works with all bikes. and all suffieciently good tires. i can vouch for this at least.
I’ll do you one better - I’ve run a 2.1 inch tire (53mm) on a 15mm rim. And taken that on black diamond trails. You’re absolutely right - there’s nothing sketchy about it.

However, my next wheels will be 23 internal and I’ll be running 25mm tires on them. The point of having a wide rim is that you get a lot of the benefits of having meatier rubber like better grip and more comfort without some of the downsides, like squirm or weight.

Also when you say “grinding pedals”.... do you mean with the inside pedal at the 12 o clock position? Because that’s quite literally laying the bike down. I’ll need to see some video evidence of that.
Old 06-16-19, 05:27 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,386 Times in 2,733 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Also when you say “grinding pedals”.... do you mean with the inside pedal at the 12 o clock position? Because that’s quite literally laying the bike down. I’ll need to see some video evidence of that.
LOL consider the source. No Marathon is going to corner like that, just more of his nattering.
Old 06-16-19, 07:27 PM
smashndash

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
LOL consider the source. No Marathon is going to corner like that, just more of his nattering.
Can’t a man dream? Cars can pull 1 lateral G pretty easily. Although that would be 45 degrees of lean - still not really close to scraping pedals.
Old 06-17-19, 07:49 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
I have two sets of Aksiums. Both came with bikes I bought. As has been said, they are not light. They have been bullet-proof. About two months ago I went with some Mavic USTs. I am not going back. They are lighter, faster and smoother than any clinchers I've ever owned. Having said that, if your choices are limited to what you have listed, I'd agree that you are going "sideways."