Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need help with vintage Shimano 3 speed shifter.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-11-19, 08:57 AM
riverdrifter

Bikes: Trek 620, Jamis Satellite Sport, Raleigh Sport

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 52 Posts

I'm not sure if this shifter is missing a part, or has a piece broken off. The cable keeps popping out, it stays connected, but the barrel end slips out. I've searched and can't find one like this. I figured it would be a pretty common item. Could someone link me to a suitable replacement? Thanks!
Old 06-11-19, 09:43 AM
dweenk 

Bikes: 1971 Fuji Finest, Royale, S-10-S, 1976 Motobecane Mirage, 1989 Trek 330, 1100, 1970 Raleigh Sport, and more

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
It appears that part of the plastic housing has broken off. A coop or ebay may your best chance to find one. I think that is the "333" model.
Old 06-11-19, 12:30 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '74 Campania Professional, '83 Mercian KOM Touring

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Is it a friction shifter? If so, is that plate with the numbers and “3 speed” a separate part? Maybe you could swap out that plate with a Sunrace thumb shifter, like the one linked below and have a new shifter with the old look. I have no idea if the dimensions are same, but for $7, it may be worth a shot. At worst, you have a new Sunrace shifter that works.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Sunrace...-/362631435140
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 06-11-19, 12:47 PM
Kuromori

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts
IGH shifters are index. I would be tempted to just try to epoxy a cable ferrule in the right spot and build it up with epoxy.
Likes For Kuromori:
Old 06-11-19, 12:50 PM
dweenk 

Bikes: 1971 Fuji Finest, Royale, S-10-S, 1976 Motobecane Mirage, 1989 Trek 330, 1100, 1970 Raleigh Sport, and more

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf View Post
Is it a friction shifter? If so, is that plate with the numbers and “3 speed” a separate part? Maybe you could swap out that plate with a Sunrace thumb shifter, like the one linked below and have a new shifter with the old look. I have no idea if the dimensions are same, but for $7, it may be worth a shot. At worst, you have a new Sunrace shifter that works.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Sunrace...-/362631435140
The OP's shifter is indexed, each click moves the cable a certain distance. While a friction shifter will work in theory, it will be damned hard to locate the "sweet spot" for the gear change.
Old 06-11-19, 12:57 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '74 Campania Professional, '83 Mercian KOM Touring

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk View Post
The OP's shifter is indexed, each click moves the cable a certain distance. While a friction shifter will work in theory, it will be damned hard to locate the "sweet spot" for the gear change.
Whoops, got it - I’ve never used one of these. Yes, that complicates things.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 06-11-19, 02:33 PM
PatTheSlat 

Bikes: '63 Schwinn American, '64 DL-1, '65 Schwinn Racer, '73 Super Course, '83 Voyageur SP, '89 Miyata 914, '03 EZ-1, '13 Raleigh i8 Folder

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You can fix this temporarily by zip tying the cable to the handlebars.

I'm surprisingly not seeing much on ebay for replacements- I have a lot of 3 speed parts, I will check my parts bins when I get home and see if I have an extra one I could sell.
Likes For PatTheSlat:
Old 06-11-19, 02:37 PM
riverdrifter

Originally Posted by PatTheSlat View Post
You can fix this temporarily by zip tying the cable to the handlebars.

I'm surprisingly not seeing much on ebay for replacements- I have a lot of 3 speed parts, I will check my parts bins when I get home and see if I have an extra one I could sell.
Thank you! I've been searching ebay and other online sites for 2 days and haven't come up with much.
Old 06-11-19, 04:23 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe Frankenbike

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kuromori View Post
IGH shifters are index. I would be tempted to just try to epoxy a cable ferrule in the right spot and build it up with epoxy.
Those shifters are cheap and available from coops and recyclers. I wouldn't bother.
Old 06-11-19, 04:42 PM
JaccoW
Tinkerer

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 43 Posts
Aren't these compatible with Sturmey Archer 3-speed shifters?
Old 06-11-19, 04:48 PM
PatTheSlat 

Bikes: '63 Schwinn American, '64 DL-1, '65 Schwinn Racer, '73 Super Course, '83 Voyageur SP, '89 Miyata 914, '03 EZ-1, '13 Raleigh i8 Folder

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by riverdrifter View Post
Thank you! I've been searching ebay and other online sites for 2 days and haven't come up with much.
The good news: I have four of these shifters. The bad news: Every one of them is broken in the same way as yours.

After scouring ebay, I can find ONE listing for under $50, and it's the older style that uses a thread-in ferrule on the end of the cable: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Shi...UAAOSwWEhc4Idv

I had absolutely no idea these had become this scarce, and I'm surprised no one is doing 3d-printed replacements. Your best bet might be to go with a zip-tie for now, and hit up some co-ops or older bike shops to see what they have laying around. I believe these twist style shifters will also work on the style hub you have: https://www.ebay.com/itm/shimano-sty...0AAOSwwZtc~buh

EDIT: Regarding the above, Sturmey Archer hubs used different cables and I believe a different amount of cable pull.
Likes For PatTheSlat:
Old 06-11-19, 05:43 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe Frankenbike

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PatTheSlat View Post

I had absolutely no idea these had become this scarce, and I'm surprised no one is doing 3d-printed replacements.

EDIT: Regarding the above, Sturmey Archer hubs used different cables and I believe a different amount of cable pull.
Wow, me either. I probably have one in the garage; I'll go look. I suppose I could drop by the recycler, too.

Yes, Sturmey-Archer shifters and and hubs had different cables and different amounts of pull.

EDIT: I found this in the garage:

It seems to work, though it is very stiff. OP, send me a PM.

Last edited by gna; 06-11-19 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Pictures of Parts
Likes For gna:
Old 06-11-19, 10:18 PM
riverdrifter

Originally Posted by gna View Post
Wow, me either. I probably have one in the garage; I'll go look. I suppose I could drop by the recycler, too.

Yes, Sturmey-Archer shifters and and hubs had different cables and different amounts of pull.

EDIT: I found this in the garage:

It seems to work, though it is very stiff. OP, send me a PM.
PM sent, thanks!
Old 06-12-19, 07:16 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 459 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 111 Posts
While the plastic housing is broken, tension in the cable should keep the housing barrel seated against the internal metal bracket and allow it to function. If the barrel is "popping out", this suggests to me that there is an additional issue, likely with resistance between the cable and housing. As noted, they are indexed, with the indexing function provded by a ball bearing that nestles into one of three holes in the mounting bracket. The lever itself is very simple to overhaul (see attached). Replacement cables are getting hard to obtain but I've improvised by using a standard cable and crimping a derailleur cable cap securely onto the free end.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 06-12-19, 07:26 AM
riverdrifter

It still shifts okay, and the cable doesn't come completely dis-engaged. What happens though, is the cable sleeve slips down and out and that creates less resistance for the cable. Then it becomes impossible to access all 3 gears, you can only get to 2 of them, then you realize the cable slipped down again and you have to pull it back in place. I figure that will probably lead to a broken cable eventually.