Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

Early 1980's 3Rensho Specialized Allez Suntour Superbe

Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Early 1980's 3Rensho Specialized Allez Suntour Superbe

Old 07-19-19, 04:57 PM
seanallant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FS: Early 1980's 3Rensho Specialized Allez Suntour Superbe Pro

FS: Early 1980's Yoshi Konno (3Rensho) built Specialized Allez with full Suntour Superbe Pro group - TT measures about 54.5 cm c-c

Asking $1200 + shipping

This is a completely restored Konno built Specialized Allez. The frame has been powdercoated deep sparkle red. Decals from VeloCals. It was sure fun to restore! Not sure if I want to sell it! All the parts are lightly used / good to excellent condition.

Build Details:

Crankset: Suntour Superbe Pro: 170 mm crankarms, 52/42 chainrings
Freewheel: Suntour Winner Pro 6 speed
Rear Derailleur: Suntour Superbe Pro
Front Derailleur: Suntour Superbe Pro
Brakeset: Suntour Superbe Pro levers and calipers
Seatpost: Suntour Superbe Pro
Wheelset: Mavic MA40 36 spoke laced to Suntour Superbe Pro hubs
Bars: Specialized branded (SR or Nitto?) 40 cm width
Stem: SR or Nitto? 100mm
Headset: Tange Falcon NOS
Pedals: Suntour Superbe Pro (no clips or straps)
Cables: VeloOrange braided
Saddle: Not included (unless you really want the Specialized Avatar pictured)

High definition photos at:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DxHHGRM2y3th5GqL8

Early 1980s 3Rensho built Specialized Allez

Last edited by seanallant; 08-02-19 at 07:44 PM.
Likes For seanallant:
Old 07-19-19, 10:08 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '74 Campania Professional, '83 Mercian KOM Touring

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Wow, that’s gorgeous. I’m not in the market, but lavishing praise is free. Beautifully executed.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 07-20-19, 12:38 PM
seanallant

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the praise! Open to offers.
Old 07-20-19, 04:22 PM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Nice bike I am gonna guess it's well after the logo change though , as such it can't be very early in the run . Mine is an 80/81 and has the original Specialized Logo decals before the Stylized Specialized "S" came into use . The bike for sale in this ad has the much later Stylized "S" and not the early logo present on first run Specialized bikes.

OP do you have an idea of the date of production ? I am guessing late 82 or maybe 83
Old 07-20-19, 04:29 PM
seanallant

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for that info about the frame date! Perhaps an 82 or 83 based on what you are saying. It's for sure a Yoshi Konno built frame.

I tried to pinpoint the date but never could. The logo logic you are using may place it, since the original paint and logos had the stylized "S" as seen on my restoration (i.e. I made the bike look identical to the original with exception of powercoat, which is a deeper / sparklier red than original)

Also, the bike has Suntour Superbe dropouts ...another dating clue perhaps? The dropouts were originally chromed, but now covered with powdercoating.
Old 07-20-19, 04:34 PM
SamSpade1941 

Originally Posted by seanallant View Post
Thanks for that info about the frame date! Perhaps an 82 or 83 based on what you are saying. It's for sure a Yoshi Konno built frame.

I tried to pinpoint the date but never could. The logo logic you are using may place it, since the original paint and logos had the stylized "S" as seen on my restoration (i.e. I made the bike look identical to the original with exception of powercoat, which is a deeper / sparklier red than original)

Also, the bike has Suntour Superbe dropouts ...another dating clue perhaps? The dropouts were originally chromed, but now covered with powdercoating.
Definitely later production with the Suntour dropouts, mine has the Shimano dropouts which were used on the earliest bikes. So I am gonna guess 82 or later.
Old 07-20-19, 05:52 PM
seanallant

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dropped the price a bit.
Old 07-20-19, 11:23 PM
shnibop 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Never seen or heard of a Yoshi Allez with Suntour dropouts. Early models were Shimano EF and later Campagnolo. Can you post a clear picture of the drop outs front and rear?
Likes For shnibop:
Old 07-21-19, 08:39 AM
SamSpade1941 

Originally Posted by shnibop View Post
Never seen or heard of a Yoshi Allez with Suntour dropouts. Early models were Shimano EF and later Campagnolo. Can you post a clear picture of the drop outs front and rear?
Mine has the Shimano EF dropouts , but I have read on the web while doing research into the Konno Allez bikes that reportedly Suntour dropouts were used at one point. So I can't say the OP's bike is not a Konno bike, and there are too many self proclaimed experts concerning these bikes. The one thing I do know is there is NO definitive source of information and lots of conjecture about the early production. I do know they changed their logos sometime in 1982 and based on what the OP has said it is possible his bike falls into that time frame .

One individual who came to look at mine in person actually called Tim Neenan while he was examining mine to make sure it was "real" .

The one thing I know definitively about the early Allez bikes is that you can't rely on serial numbers as Specialized didn't keep good records about production history etc and they do not use serial numbers for that purpose like Trek and other manufactures do or did.

Last edited by SamSpade1941; 07-21-19 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-21-19, 04:01 PM
seanallant

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I stand corrected! After I posted about the Suntour dropouts I had thought that they weren't Suntour but indeed Shimano. I'll try and get a photo of the dropouts ...now powdercoated. But I know for sure they were not Campy. Not trying to fool anyone here. Sorry about that! From what I've read also the offset fork crown and long, thin, finely pointed lugs are an indication of Konno built Allezs.

Thanks for that correction! My apologies.

Sean

Last edited by seanallant; 07-21-19 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-21-19, 04:51 PM
seanallant

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I took some photos of the dropouts, currently powdercoated and found a photo on the internet of the exact dropouts that mine has, and the way they looked before the powdercoat. I also included some photos of the frame before I got it re-finished. These are on the linked photoalbum on my original post. It's tough to see on the current photos of my dropouts, but I could see "Shimano" coming through in just the right light.

Oh, also, I have the dropout screws ...just don't have them installed right now.

I've I also found an old post here on Bikeforums started by SamSpade1941 on this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...zed-allez.html Seems to indicate mine is an 82, like he suggested.

Funny story. I tried to have the local powdercoaters save the chromed dropouts, but they couldn't figure out how to do it. So, I remember clearly what they looked like. Just forgot they were etched "Shimano" not "Suntour".

Thanks for the help identifying!

Last edited by seanallant; 07-21-19 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-21-19, 08:08 PM
shnibop 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just to clarify, it was not my intent to imply that your Allez is not a Yoshi Allez. It clearly is. I just was curious to see Suntour dropouts as I’ve never heard of them being used during the Yoshi era.

These are “hard” to date but yours is a transitional build when the earlier “allez” seat stay caps were being phased out but Shimano dropouts we’re still in use. Ultimately they switched to Campagnolo, as previously stated, which all had the stylized S seat stay cap.

Good luck with your sale! I’m watching closely as I’ve got several Yoshi Allez’s that I will soon be putting up for sale and am curious about current market value.

Last edited by shnibop; 07-21-19 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-02-19, 07:43 PM
seanallant

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Still available, price dropped again.
Old 08-16-19, 11:04 AM
seanallant