Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Small hatchbacks for hauling a bike or two..

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-08-19, 06:27 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 192 Posts

A friend of mine is looking, not a planned purchase....isn't that how it always goes?

With a small SUV and a truck, I cannot advise on this.

Any thoughts, folks?

Old 08-08-19, 07:16 PM
jamesdak

Bikes: G.L. Maillot Juane & Ventoux,Schwinn Circuit, Prologue,PDG Paramount,Paramount,Tempo,Jake The Snake,LeMond Zurich & Tourmelet,Giordana XL Super & Antares,Puegeot U08,Bob Jackson,Fuji S12-S,Opus III,Orbea Cabestany,Bianchi Campione,Basso Gap

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 97 Posts
Well I had a 2017 VW GTI that would carry a bike inside with no problem. You could leave the front wheel on even if you pushed the front passenger seat all the way forward and then just lay the back seats down flat. Even easier to fit if you pulled the front wheel. It actually had as much space inside as my Jeep Patriot. The GTI usually got me around 33 mpg commuting even with getting on it some. Fun to drive but pretty practical too.

Prices were real good for awhile there as VW struggled to recover from the emissions cheat scandal. Not sure how willing to deal they are now.

Mine was trouble free for the two years I had it. Traded it in only because my bad knees could not find a comfortable seat position in it. Totally an issue with my beat up body.

Last edited by jamesdak; 08-08-19 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-08-19, 07:23 PM
iab

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 81 Posts
2008 Mazda3 hatch. Remove pedals and front wheels.

2 passengers, weekend luggage, 4 complete bikes and 1 frame on the inside. 3 bikes on the outside. 1800 miles round trip Chicago-High Point-Chicago.

BAMF 001 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Likes For iab:
Old 08-08-19, 07:37 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Bikes: Lots. Just...lots.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Ditto on the GTI. I drove my 2 door MkIV for 70,000 miles without a major problem. Take off the front wheels and two bikes fit easily with a few bags and two passengers.

Even better, tho, is the Golf Sportwagen I've been driving since 2016. No need to take the front wheels off.
Everything you need (Apple play, AC, Tex interior, pano sumroof), nothing you don't.
Old 08-08-19, 08:36 PM
ThermionicScott 
hungry

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 2210 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 160 Posts
Love my Subaru Outback. **** taking off wheels, I can put down the rear seat backs and throw the bike in whole.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-08-19, 08:43 PM
verktyg
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1990 Bianchi Mondiale, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA Team Pro, 1973 Holdsworth

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 71 Posts
1999 Subaru Forester

I have a 1999 Subaru Forester that I bought a few years back just for hauling my bike/bikes around.

With the rear seats down, I can easily slide a bike with the wheels on into the "cargo space".

For 2 bikes, I place moving company packing blankets between them. It has a roof rack that Yakima made kits for. If I find one of the kits I'll probably buy it.

verktyg

Last edited by verktyg; 08-08-19 at 09:24 PM.
Likes For verktyg:
Old 08-08-19, 08:50 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Honda Fits have a lot of cargo room for how small they are.
Likes For due ruote:
Old 08-08-19, 08:51 PM
crank_addict

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 40 Posts
Non hatch but rather barn door and three on the sides. So far I'm liking the Clubman S. If traveling solo, could easily haul a few inside.

This car came with a factory roof rack and I've since added another. The BMW bike rack attachment holds virtually all bikes with front wheels, including our odd recumbents. The crossbars are pretty much standard with optional T-bolt mounts. I'm able to mount my tandem rack (sans front wheel / fork mount type).

Lastly, there is a company called Free2go that makes a very simple rear mount and without the need for a trailer hitch. Resembles a highly designed pair of eyebolts that thread into the tow holes. Personally, I'm not into the rear mounts but could see having as a redundant setup.

Old 08-08-19, 08:52 PM
FiftySix
where's the gas tank?

Bikes: Norco CityGlide, Schwinn Willy

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 139 Posts
If looking for a used car, a Mazda 5 minivan will hold a bike inside with the rear seats folded down. It's a Japanese/Euro sized minivan with 4 cylinder engine, not an American sized minivan.

I have a 2013 model and have carried 4 different bicycles inside of it one at a time. You could lay two inside by removing front wheels, etc. and separating them with padded moving blankets.

EDIT:
(Interior view with rear 4 seats folded down and homemade cargo board added)

Last edited by FiftySix; 08-08-19 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-08-19, 09:10 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 46 Posts
1967 MGB GT. Sure, youíll have to get a roof rack to haul bikes, but just look at that thing. Dang.

Runner-up: 1973 Volvo P1800 ES ďSport Wagon.Ē
Old 08-08-19, 09:41 PM
gugie 
Crapmaster Emeritus

Bikes: JP Weigle'd Raleigh Competition reconstruct, 73 Raleigh Competition 650b'ed, 96 Bike Friday NWT, 83 Lotus Classique, 78 Centurion ProTour, 73 Raleigh Grand Sports

Mentioned: 813 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 63 Posts
calling @northbend
Old 08-08-19, 09:55 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
I had a 2015 Mazda3 ST, 5 door, HB, previous to my present car.
Never mounted my Thule 3 bike rear hanging rack on it because I was afraid that the weight could damage the ABS rear top spoiler the main straps for the rack will rest on and end up with the rack, falling off the car at the worst time

I noticed that many small modern hatchbacks have similar top mounted rear spoilers. Shouldn't it also be a concern with these cars when mounting rear hanging racks??
I suspect that those mostly decorative rear spoilers were never meant to carry the weight from loaded rear hanging bicycle racks.

Last edited by Chombi1; 08-08-19 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-08-19, 10:11 PM
Ex Pres

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I had a VW Passat and could carry 3 bikes (broken down) + travel luggage for trips. One would slide in easily, wheels on, for normal use.

My daughter just got a Prius, and I'm guessing you could fit two in under that hatch if you took the front wheels off. One goes in easily wheels on.
Old 08-09-19, 01:14 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 41 Posts
Have a Ford Focus - Ti edition with the extra sound system. Bike almost fit perfectly, even though I left a bunch of crap in the trunk. It was about an inch from closing, so I used a bungee for the hatch. I didn't feel like trying harder that day to shut the hatch, The normal focuses don't have the subwoofer and such and have more trunk space. Obvi it would have been fine if I had removed a wheel. I also had a porteur rack and rear rack on said bike.

I'll second the Fit though - those are giant in terms of cargo. I also had the older Hyundai Elantra GT that looked like a Saab. That fit a bike no problem. The trunck/hatch was ginormous.
Old 08-09-19, 02:07 AM
Brad L

Bikes: 1960 Fiorelli, 1969 Colnago Super, 1983 Gitane Interclub, 1990 Specialized Sirrus, 1996 Litespeed Catalyst, 2001 Colnago Dream B-Stay, 2007 Trek 1000 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not exactly a hatchback, but you can pick up a Volvo 240 Wagon for a reasonable amount and they're extremely reliable. This is my 92 Wagon and there's plenty of room with the rear seat down for my bike without taking the wheels off. Two bikes would fit without the wheels and, if needed, I could put three bars on the long roof and carry four bikes and four riders.

Last edited by Brad L; 08-09-19 at 02:11 AM.
Likes For Brad L:
Old 08-09-19, 04:13 AM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 192 Posts
I'm with you, keep the tunes.
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Have a Ford Focus - Ti edition with the extra sound system. Bike almost fit perfectly, even though I left a bunch of crap in the trunk. It was about an inch from closing, so I used a bungee for the hatch. I didn't feel like trying harder that day to shut the hatch, The normal focuses don't have the subwoofer and such and have more trunk space. Obvi it would have been fine if I had removed a wheel. I also had a porteur rack and rear rack on said bike.

I'll second the Fit though - those are giant in terms of cargo. I also had the older Hyundai Elantra GT that looked like a Saab. That fit a bike no problem. The trunck/hatch was ginormous.

Old 08-09-19, 04:44 AM
tacreamer
Go Ride

Bikes: Enough +1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Iíll second the Honda Fit for fitting a bicycle or two in the back with the seats folded down. I actually brought a bicycle with me when shopping for a car to insure that a bike will fit as thatís its main function for me.

Iíve been very happy with my 2009 Honda Fit in this regard.
Old 08-09-19, 04:57 AM
gomango 

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by tacreamer View Post
Iíll second the Honda Fit for fitting a bicycle or two in the back with the seats folded down. I actually brought a bicycle with me when shopping for a car to insure that a bike will fit as thatís its main function for me.

Iíve been very happy with my 2009 Honda Fit in this regard.
That's our city car, our Honda Fit.

Twelve years old, runs like a champ, rear seats fold up and we can "fit" two bikes without taking the front wheels off.

Would not want to do a long road trip though.

Engine is buzzy, gearing runs the engine at higher rpms on the road.

Still an amazing value for city driving and is super reliable.

Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
Old 08-09-19, 06:05 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 49 Posts
Honda CRV, 2018 model here. Traded in my 2007 Chevrolet K1500 extended cab on it, first time since 1986 that I haven't had to push around a full sized pick up truck. Easily take two bikes inside with the back seat folded, with front wheels removed and placed on the sides of the cargo area. Going to get the roof rails, cross bars and bike carriers on this fall.

Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
Old 08-09-19, 06:19 AM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Ford Transit Connect minivan. Basically a tall small car. Enough room with a first generation to haul several bikes without issues, no removal of front wheels needed, and plenty of front seat room. Can be had with a tall enough roof easily.
Likes For Kent T:
Old 08-09-19, 06:26 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Bikes: Lots. Just...lots.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1 View Post
I had a 2015 Mazda3 ST, 5 door, HB, previous to my present car.
Never mounted my Thule 3 bike rear hanging rack on it because I was afraid that the weight could damage the ABS rear top spoiler the main straps for the rack will rest on and end up with the rack, falling off the car at the worst time. I noticed that many small modern hatchbacks have similar top mounted rear spoilers. Shouldn't it also be a concern with these cars when mounting rear hanging racks??
I suspect that those mostly decorative rear spoilers were never meant to carry the weight from loaded rear hanging bicycle racks.
There's actually a special kind of strap base that you use for that. Looks like a toilet paper roll wrapped in rubber. Strap loops around the end and it goes inside the hatch; strap then goes up through the gap and outside the car. When pulled tight, the roll snugs up against the inside of the hatch, so no pull on the aero bit.

That's what we use on Mrs. Doc's prized Lexus RX330. Carries a pair of bikes at speeds up to 80mph without any problems. As a side note, it will also carry two bikes with the rear seat folded down.
Old 08-09-19, 06:27 AM
BFisher

Bikes: '61 Schwinn Klunker, '68 Hercules Klapprad, '71 Peugeot UO8, '78 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '79 Motobecane Grand Sprint, '87 Ironman Expert, '89 Puch Mistral Leader, '92 Trek 930

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 60 Posts
I have only owned two small hatchbacks, both VW Golfs - a '97 and an '02.
The cargo capacity in those cars is surprisingly huge. Bikes, appliances, no problem. Both had electrical quirks. Sometimes the delay wiper worked, sometimes not. Same with dash lights.

But carrying capacity to rival some SUVs.
Old 08-09-19, 06:48 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman View Post
1967 MGB GT. Sure, youíll have to get a roof rack to haul bikes, but just look at that thing. Dang.

Runner-up: 1973 Volvo P1800 ES ďSport Wagon.Ē
Sweet choices and I'd add the Reliant Scimitar GTE and the Gilbern Invader Estate - but good luck finding any of them.

Maybe they've gotten better over the years, but both of our VW GTI's left us stranded on the side of the road far too often to recommend them (and my brother retired from VWoA, I got the cars straight from the importer at cost). 'Tis a shame the Japanese or Koreans haven't jumped on board the sporty-hatchback theme like the GTI, Mini Copper, etc. Subaru showed a concept sport wagon based on the BRZ coupe in 2013... never made it to production.
Old 08-09-19, 06:58 AM
gomango 

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman View Post
Yes, they are cool.

I went through a string of these in the late 70's, as well as TR-6s.

In fact, our neighbor owns one of my GTs. Pale yellow, wire wheels etc.

However, I must also note that these were among the least reliable autos I've yet to own.

Just miserable little beasts. They loved to strand me in the middle of nowhere on a regular basis.

Luckily they were light and easy to push start. I always tried to park on hills where possible.

Bikes and stuff

Old 08-09-19, 07:03 AM
gomango 

Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
Honda CRV, 2018 model here.
We've owned three of these over the last decade or two.

Super reliable, tons of storage and great in the snow with Nokians.

We used a Rigid Hitch and a four place Thule rack on the back. Works great.

I can carry two of our kayaks on the roof and the bikes on the back on the way to the cabin or around the midwest.

Just a splendid car, although they are getting a little too large for my tastes. The older models were more compact in size, with similar capabilities.

Maybe I'll check into a HRV next....

Bikes and stuff

Likes For gomango:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.