Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Advice needed - 1986 Trek 400 Elance

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-20-19, 02:43 PM
ngsmith

Bikes: Trek 400, Trek FX 7.2 WSD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Newbie here with very little bicycle wrenching experience and no bike tools.

I have a 1986 Trek 400 Elance double that I bought new many, many years ago. Basically unchanged - swapped saddle, changed to SPD pedals. It's been in covered storage for lo these many years. Black, 19" frame. It's in very good condition appearance wise, was maintained a few years ago, and is probably very rideable.

Except, I'm 30 years older with all that goes with that. Additionally, I have relatively short arms and legs. Like having to tailor 1-1/2 off of long sleeves, and a 27" or shorter inseam. I have good, solid contact with the top tube when straddling the frame . Big problem - reaching the down tube shifters has always been problematic, and would be very difficult now.

A few days ago, I met someone with a Trek 620, black, approximately same size. He had converted the drop bars to flat, and changed to finger trigger shifters. Sweet, and much closer in configuration to my 2009 Trek 7.2 FX WSD 15" which I ride frequently. He had that done at Performance Bicycle. I've talked with my LBS, originally thinking converting to drop bar brifters, but this 620 configuration would probably be better for me.

For those better informed, what would I need beyond: flat bar, stem, shifters/brakes, longer cables. Recommendations? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-20-19, 03:14 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts

What derailleurs are currently on it? Shimano or Suntour? How many rear cogs?

If you have Shimano it shouldn't be a big deal, just sourcing the correct speed flat bar shifters and the aforementioned bars & stem.
I personally prefer separate shifters and brake levers but they aren't always as easy to find in lower speeds.

I redid a 87 with 10 speed Ultegra .

Shimano

Last edited by dedhed; 08-20-19 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-20-19, 03:50 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
If you like the drop bars, you could get some bar-end shifter pods from Rivendell and use the same shifters. You would not have to worry about shifter/derailleur compatibility since you would simply be moving the shifters.

https://www.rivbike.com/collections/...nts-pair-17068
https://www.rivbike.com/collections/...her-pair-17135

If you're set on upright bars, then I think you could get thumb shifter mounts that, with the proper washer/spacer, would be able to accommodate your existing shifters.

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...unts-22-2-23-8
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 08-20-19, 04:16 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
I guess my question before you make changes is does this bike really fit? you mention no clearance when standing over the top tube. I tend to ride bike that are a bit snug with stand over but I do that because I need the TT length (long torso) but I have some clearance . I would suggest seeing if the bike is road worthy, shifts and stops and then do some flat land riding with your hands on the top of the bars i.e not in the drops but in the general area of where flat bar would be if you convert. If you find you are really reaching even for the tops of the bars then converting to flat bars my not be worth it unless a shorter stem will bring the bars in. What I am trying to say is its all about fit you can drop some money to try to improve fit and still not have it feel right if the bike is too big to start with (ask me how I know).

I might suggest looking at some smaller framed vintage mountain bikes and see if you can find one that fits you well and either go that route or take careful measurements of the seat tube, top tube, reach from seat post to stem etc and try to find a road bike that emulates that fit.

If you decide the Trek 400 will work you might check out this video from RJ the bike guy on drop bar to flat bar conversion, you may find you can buy basic tools for less than what the shop will charge you to do the job.

Either way good luck!
Old 08-20-19, 04:41 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Here's my thoughts on flat bars- they're fine- but after about 7 miles- my hands are dying for a new position- and it's just not there. If you change to flat bars- that means different stem, different brake levers, different shifters, and grips. You could definitely do that quite stylishly. I've actually got my brake levers acquired for when I inevitably have to swap to flat bars. I'm still working out the shifting and stuff- but I think I have a few more years to figure it out.

I think if you keep the rear end at 6 speed- you can pretty easily do this with some Shimano MT-60 thumb shifters. If'n it were me, I'd get some of those "Ergon" grips- I think they make them in brown and stuff as well.

My other big thought is what @ryansu brought up- does that bike actually fit... No matter how much futzing you do with the cockpit- nothing is going to change that it's too big for you. (IMO- a bike that *just* too big or small is the worst- because it's *just* there enough to taste it- you get the idea of how awesome cool it could be)

I have a 1986 Trek 400 Elance as well- this was the first bike I lusted after- I found one, and I've been upgrading parts since I found it. It's my most beautiful bicycle and I love riding it.

1986 Trek 400 Elance by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

1986 Trek 400 Elance by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.

Last edited by The Golden Boy; 08-20-19 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-21-19, 06:54 AM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
Your choice is not limited to flat or drop.
What Bars? The Bicycle Handlebar Database

Where do you live? A member nearby may have a vast collection of bars you could look at and maybe try a few. Bike Co-op close by you?

Good luck and welcome to the gang.