Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Special ferrules for original Vuka aero bar

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-24, 10:03 AM
rcommbikes 

Bikes: Dahon folder, Santana tandem, Trek triathlon, Haro MTB, Bike Friday

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts

We have had this original Zipp Vuka aero bar donated to us. It requires special steel ferrules for the brake housing and cables where they pass through the carbon near the brake handles. SRAM says the parts are obsolete and I have not been able to locate any. The part numbers are 11.6600.024.010-Vuka Shift 4mm Ferrules Qty 2
11.6600.025.010-Vuka Shift 5mm Ferrules Qty 2 I am including an image of the bars and the ferrules.
Does anyone know where I can get these ferrules?

Thank you in advance.

Fred

Old 04-24-24, 10:54 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5813 Post(s)
Liked 2,642 Times in 1,466 Posts
Visit a bike co-op or a shop that does tons of repairs. They probably have a drawer full of a wide variety of ferrules.

Bring the bar and sample of the cable with you. Odds are you won't find an exact match, but should find one that meets the needs.

Also dsome complete cable kits come with various ferrules, 2 of which may be suited. Hopefully clear packaging will let you look before you buy.
Old 04-24-24, 12:32 PM
rcommbikes 

Bikes: Dahon folder, Santana tandem, Trek triathlon, Haro MTB, Bike Friday

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks. We do 3-4000 free repairs a year and shop manager has never seen ferrules like this.I think the thin part has to be about the diameter of a cable crimp. Large end just fits over standard cable housing. I will look at your suggestions.
Old 04-24-24, 12:44 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2157 Post(s)
Liked 3,425 Times in 1,211 Posts
I have a couple that might work. Stem on one pair is 4.86mm, the other is 2.4mm.
Old 04-24-24, 02:00 PM
grumpus

Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 345 Posts
Originally Posted by rcommbikes
We have had this original Zipp Vuka aero bar donated to us. It requires special steel ferrules for the brake housing and cables where they pass through the carbon near the brake handles. SRAM says the parts are obsolete and I have not been able to locate any. The part numbers are 11.6600.024.010-Vuka Shift 4mm Ferrules Qty 2
11.6600.025.010-Vuka Shift 5mm Ferrules Qty 2 I am including an image of the bars and the ferrules.
Does anyone know where I can get these ferrules?
I wonder if a good quality V-brake noodle could be cut down to do the job. Otherwise anyone with a mini lathe should be able to make a few.
Old 04-25-24, 12:49 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 347 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
I wonder if a good quality V-brake noodle could be cut down to do the job. Otherwise anyone with a mini lathe should be able to make a few.
Noodle suggestion sounds brilliant.
Old 04-25-24, 06:47 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4459 Post(s)
Liked 1,592 Times in 1,048 Posts

Chuck a steel barrel adjuster in the drill press and turn down the head with a file. Flip over and turn the threads down.

I made some 600EX internal lever ferrules in the same manner in about 10 minutes.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 04-25-24, 10:56 AM
grumpus

Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 345 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Chuck a steel barrel adjuster in the drill press and turn down the head with a file. Flip over and turn the threads down.

I made some 600EX internal lever ferrules in the same manner in about 10 minutes.
This was going to be my suggestion before I thought of noodles, but I'd use a grinder rather than a file - you can use a lighter touch so less risk of de-chucking. Having thought of noodles (again) I think dinner today will be Chinese.
Old 04-25-24, 02:37 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

FWIW this seems like a problematic design, or maybe some other parts are missing. "Ramped" cable holes like this are usually used where the enclosed cable enters, with the fulcrum (housing stop) at the other end.

A stepped ferrule like the one pictured won't sit properly. The head has no hard stop to rest squarely against, so cable tension will have it trying to slide down the ram, resisted only by the head not fitting. That will create tendency to creep, and/or a bending moment, possibly leading to a fracture. Something more like a noodle with a curve to create a fair lead seems more like what's called for.

If I were going to work to make a part, I'd start with Brass or SS fuel line tubing. Curve it for nice fair lead, and bond or silver solder an angled stop to sit against the bar, (picture the structures where tunnels ramp down into the earth), then devise a ferrule or adaptor to transition from the part to the housing.

I'd provide a sketch, but don't know how to upload it. However if the OP wants to see what I'm describing, he can PM me with his email address and I'll send something along.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-25-24, 06:11 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by FBinNY
FWIW this seems like a problematic design, or maybe some other parts are missing. "Ramped" cable holes like this are usually used where the enclosed cable enters, with the fulcrum (housing stop) at the other end.

A stepped ferrule like the one pictured won't sit properly. The head has no hard stop to rest squarely against, so cable tension will have it trying to slide down the ram, resisted only by the head not fitting. That will create tendency to creep, and/or a bending moment, possibly leading to a fracture. Something more like a noodle with a curve to create a fair lead seems more like what's called for.

If I were going to work to make a part, I'd start with Brass or SS fuel line tubing. Curve it for nice fair lead, and bond or silver solder an angled stop to sit against the bar, (picture the structures where tunnels ramp down into the earth), then devise a ferrule or adaptor to transition from the part to the housing.

I'd provide a sketch, but don't know how to upload it. However if the OP wants to see what I'm describing, he can PM me with his email address and I'll send something along.
You're aware these go way inside the bars up at the end where the brake levers go? They can't be curved because they go straight into a straight hole.
Old 04-25-24, 07:00 PM
FBinNY 

You're aware these go way inside the bars up at the end where the brake levers go? They can't be curved because they go straight into a straight hole.
Yes, I'm aware. The curve I'm speaking of is at the entry area only, and in a plane normal to the bar. If you sketch a side view you'll see the issue I described.

As I said, the maker didn't build in a proper seat for the intended ferrule. IMO, it's either poor design, or poor execution, but what's done is done, and the OP can either try to improve it, or leave it as is.

BTW - I'd love to see what's inside and how the maker provided for the 90 degree turn from cross piece to lever.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 04-25-24, 07:06 PM
Kontact

Yes, I'm aware. The curve I'm speaking of is at the entry area only, and in a plane normal to the bar. If you sketch a side view you'll see the issue I described.

As I said, the maker didn't build in a proper seat for the intended ferrule. IMO, it's either poor design, or poor execution, but what's done is done, and the OP can either try to improve it, or leave it as is.

BTW - I'd love to see what's inside and how the maker provided for the 90 degree turn from cross piece to lever.
Huh? There is no 90 degree turn. The cable goes straight into the front of the lever, straight through the narrow end of the ferrule and straight into the housing. The only bend is the housing curving though the inside of the bar to the exits.

Again, the ferrules are part of the brake lever, not the entry to the bar. Have you seen one of these bars, or looked at pictures of the lever fronts?
Old 04-25-24, 07:56 PM
FBinNY 

....Have you seen one of these bars, or looked at pictures of the lever fronts?
Mia culpa. No I haven't seen the bars in the flesh. I saw the image on a cell phone, so obviously, and took the slots on the bottom as the cable exits.

So, feel free to disregard my post.

Old 04-25-24, 07:58 PM
Kontact

Mia culpa. No I haven't seen the bars in the flesh. I saw the image on a cell phone, so obviously, and took the slots on the bottom as the cable exits.

So, feel free to disregard my post.
Those are the housing exits. That is what I pointed out to you, twice. The ferrules go nowhere close to them.