Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Aero bars good for SART, SGRT, PCH riding?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-12, 09:26 AM
HBxRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I do a lot of riding on these trails, so mostly flat, straight stuff. Minimal climbing. Would I benefit from aero bars? I don't see very many people on these trails using em. Seems like it would be nice to have when you're headed towards the beach and getting that headwind.
Old 10-21-12, 10:00 AM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Headwind is God's workout. People pay a lot to get an ocean breeze.

I've never used aerobars, I guess it depends on your experience with them. It would make sense if one can keep control in traffic.
Old 10-21-12, 10:43 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
I would say Yes with an asterisk. And that asterisk is that you cheerfully resume an upright position with your hands near the brakes before passing anyone. Give yourself time to get used to the aerobars and focus on being loose, relaxed yet controlled on them. And riding aerobars may require a saddle adjustment.
Old 10-21-12, 11:32 AM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying Merkel
Headwind is God's workout. People pay a lot to get an ocean breeze.
I now have a better outlook when fighting one, lol.
Old 10-21-12, 12:20 PM
Flying Merkel

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Of course, on SART you're downwind of the sewage treatment plant............
Old 10-21-12, 02:10 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Aerobars and aerohelmet will save you a boatload of watts.
Old 10-21-12, 02:27 PM
spinerguy

Bikes: Litespeed Teramo, Argon 18 Road, Fuji Mt Fuji Pro MTB, Fuji Track Pro FG, & Cannondale Quick CX Cross

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a PD set but they don't fit my ergo shaped carbon bars and they are an overkill on my SS tool-around bike.

Most mornings, breeze is calm to non-existent and after PM, predominant winds blow inland (at least in the OC), I ride SART weekends and start 8ish am and be done by noon if longer path is taken but almost always get a tail(ish) wind coming back. if you are not a late starter I don't really see the need for it.
Old 10-21-12, 02:56 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Aerobars and aerohelmet will save you a boatload of watts.
Yeah, but it's probably pretty humiliating when you get passed by some guy sitting bolt-upright with no aerohelmet.
Old 10-21-12, 04:28 PM
tony2v

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Yeah, but it's probably pretty humiliating when you get passed by some guy sitting bolt-upright with no aerohelmet.
and towing a trailer with his recycling sh*t........
Old 10-21-12, 04:29 PM
JustMe
Gr8 day 4 hill repeats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use aero bars all the time, and wouldn't be without a bike setup with them. They are a distinct advantage in headwinds, on flats, and descents. The caveat, as previously mentioned, it takes a little to get used to them because when you are in the aero position, your elbows are much closer to the steering axis, so much less movement is required to alter the path of the front wheel. Practice minimizing any upper body movement, especially when around other riders, and you will want to slightly increase the tilt on your saddle. You may notice some improvement in your pedal stroke and cadence as well.
Old 10-21-12, 04:54 PM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Or that middle-aged Athena who is carrying her haul from the farmers' market in her grocery panniers and is also stopping to photograph things.
Old 10-21-12, 07:20 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,993 Times in 570 Posts
A complete essay on wind. Sometimes, I'm Doug ... sometimes I'm Neil.

I learned to use aerobars when after breaking my hand in a game of basketball ... it was aerobars or not riding at all.

Advantages: For the same effort, you can make 1-2 MPH more , and on cold mornings, they make it easier (and warmer) to duck out of the wind a bit. They also offer yet one more riding position. I had the flip-up kind (cuz I didn't want to give up the handlebar real estate). They work fine, but the little springs in them tend to break after a year or so.

Disadvantages: They take up handlebar real estate, and the flip up ones are apt to rattle. And while they are definitely helpful in the wind, you can get almost the same effect just by learning to ride on the drops.

Most of my riding is in the mountains, where they are of little use, which is why my aerobars are in the garage instead of on the bike. They came in very handy on the FC 508, though.

Old 10-21-12, 08:19 PM
vertical bob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please never ride in aero bars when in a group. Way to dangerous to others. That's why the pro peleton has outlawed them for years and they are the best riders in the world. TT only
Old 10-21-12, 08:25 PM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seriously? Look what happened to Lance...
Old 10-22-12, 01:31 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by HBxRider
I do a lot of riding on these trails, so mostly flat, straight stuff. Minimal climbing. Would I benefit from aero bars? I don't see very many people on these trails using em. Seems like it would be nice to have when you're headed towards the beach and getting that headwind.
You would be a good candidate for a brand new aero TT bike. And if you want it slightly relaxed, just have the shop fit you for triathlon type riding.
Old 10-22-12, 02:02 PM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I use aerobars on the trail quite often. Pretty nice to have, just be sure to swap back to your regular hand positions when nearing pedestrians, kids, dogs, etc that crop up here and there.

Just 2 weeks ago some dude accidentally let his leashed german shepard get loose literally 3 seconds before I got to him, and I T-boned the dog. Luckily, I'd been prepared and had my hands already on the brakes. I slowed enough to avoid damage to the dog and the bike and stayed upright. If I'd stayed in the aerobars, there's a 100% chance I woulda gone over the bars and who knows what could have happened to the poor dog. He was just so excited to see a cyclist he wanted to run out and say hi I guess.

Use aerobars safely and you'll grow to love them. Eventually they become very comfortable, and (can be) aerodynamic enough to get you an extra 1-2mph.

Last edited by jmX; 10-22-12 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-22-12, 04:15 PM
curiouskid55

Bikes: o5 Specilized roubaix Comp, 06 Tequilo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've seen aerobars at the tuesday night rose bowl ride and on the montrose ride .Nobody had any problems with them. One of the worst crashes I have ever seen involved a hybrid and a road bike on the montrose ride. Granted skill level a little higher than your average group ride. Lots of touring riders use clip ons with their road bars.
Old 10-23-12, 08:41 AM
mwandaw
Half Fast

Bikes: A road bike and a tandem road bike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I like aerobars. They have their place, but as has been said, you need to be ready to instantly move your hands to cover the brakes.

A while ago we were riding on PCH with a group of other tandem riders. The highway was busy with drivers changing lanes and turning, pedestrians and lots of traffic lights. We were moving at 20-22 mph, and we were passed like we were standing still by a guy on a serious TT/Tri bike who was completely tucked in on his aerobars. NOT A GOOD IDEA in that situation!