Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Local Performance Cycling Shop Going Out of Business Sale

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Local Performance Cycling Shop Going Out of Business Sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-18, 04:26 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
They are crossing out the "original" MSRP with permanent marker and hand writing in the "new" MSRP. For example, $100 helmet is now $130 helmet with 20% off.
If this is truly happening, your state's Attorney General office would likely be happy to hear about it.
Old 12-10-18, 04:35 PM
tdonline

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Was at my local Performance store less than a month ago and associate was telling me he wasn't worried as his store was one of the best performing stores for the company. I called today as I was confused by the emails stating my local store was closing. Performance associate responded that yes, initially, it was only some stores were going to close but that..."things change."

The initial conversation started because I was considering a bike but was concerned about post-purchase service if the store wasn't going to be around anymore. If that bike is still available, wonder what the sweet spot will be when the fire-sale price is low enough to not care about life-time service tune-ups. In my case with the caveat that I'm no mechanic at all.
Old 12-10-18, 04:41 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 147 Posts
I was told that all stores are closing, and that there will be an auction of the entire company in Mid January.
Old 12-11-18, 08:35 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds 531
I was told that all stores are closing, and that there will be an auction of the entire company in Mid January.
If they are auctioning off the company, then hopefully Fuji and Marin bikes as well as others will still be around. I wonder if Nashbar will still be around as well?
Old 12-11-18, 10:33 AM
musicmaster

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bummed. My local store was closing, but there was another one about 30 minutes away. Just bought a Fuji too from them. Oh well. Guess I'll just do my own adjustments on that bike then. I was enjoying being lazy.

Wonder if I should do a Chargeback for the Team membership I got last month. Clearly it's not going to benefit me at all.

Last edited by musicmaster; 12-11-18 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-11-18, 10:51 AM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
The store associate told me that Nashbar is going down too.
Old 12-12-18, 08:19 AM
mtbiker99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by musicmaster
Bummed. My local store was closing, but there was another one about 30 minutes away. Just bought a Fuji too from them. Oh well. Guess I'll just do my own adjustments on that bike then. I was enjoying being lazy.

Wonder if I should do a Chargeback for the Team membership I got last month. Clearly it's not going to benefit me at all.
I just purchased Team Membership in October. I got the membership because of the local store. With that closing, membership is useless to me. I doubt the online store will exist after January 2019. I just called their 800 number to ask for a refund. They are giving me $24.99 back on my credit card (10 months left @ $2.50 per month). If in a few days, the credit doesn't show up, I will then do a chargeback with my credit card company.
Old 12-22-18, 08:31 AM
monstorr

Bikes: Trek Crockett 7 and a bunch of projects =)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
FYI for anyone in MD, the Rockville location is closing and they have 20 - 40% off the whole store and are adding another 10% to the total price!
Old 12-22-18, 12:59 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by The Quiet One
Going out of business sales are handled by liquidators, not the stores themselves. Their 30% off is calculated from the the manufacturer's full retail price and have no relation to the price the items sold for when the original owner ran the show. You can find bargains, but like every other thing in this world it's buyer beware.
Yep, this is how it works. Depending on the liquidator, they will start with full MSRP (even on NOS items). They "may" retag all items and then apply the markdown, or do as some have said and just remark it. That will discourage some sales. Often the liquidators are NOT experts in the store's contents, so there may be some deals early on, but you have to know your prices as a smart buyer and be willing to jump as it will not last. Near the end there will be some big drops, but that may take a while. Usually that will not be the desirable stuff.

Often a liquidator rep is on site. After the first markdown they may be amenable to offers, but not lowballs. They will also work out offers for a whole set of items, but will not go below a certain price point. This is where some deals can exist, as you can often negotiate and add 'smalls', or smaller items. If you have a friend with a business who wants some of the inventory, this is where real deals can happen.

A friend of mine worked in a sporting good store that was liquidated. He would call me with deals and I could get down and buy certain items, but they were never fire sale prices. They often did beat the lowest price I could find. What was interesting was most of the high value stuff was not particularly popular until the last days, but certain items, in this case the Zeiss and Leica optics (German made) were screaming deals as even the initial pricing beat all the online pricing of USA warranteed items. Some of the accessories were good deals, as this store had been in that location for 30+ years and some of the classic items were still there in their original packaging and 'original dust' covered. It was a nice find if you were after that type of item. One real treasure can be repair parts and spares. As Performance was a large commercial shop, the hard to find vintage stuff will most likely not be present, but some hard to find repair parts (not current Shimano come to mind) might be.

WIth the sporting goods example I am talking about, after the final closing, the remainder went to auction and wholesalers.

I am not sure how house brands would be handled. I will miss some of the low cost Performance house brands. The Performance Transit racktop pack was the only small racktop pack I could find, at any price.

Last edited by Bill in VA; 12-22-18 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-22-18, 01:55 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Was in one yesterday, wound up with a set of Deore/Rhynolite wheels for my 26" touring bike for under $70.

Do note they are restocking as they clear out inventory, the warehouses are also cleaning out and dumping goods on stores that have the floor space. Nashbar stuff was showing up in the sale too.
Old 12-22-18, 02:17 PM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by restlessswind
The store associate told me that Nashbar is going down too.
No surprise. Nashbar and Performance are owned by the same entity.