Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone tried the new Vittoria G2.0?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-27-19, 08:46 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts

The claims in numbers are: “the new Graphene 2.0 compound provides 40% reduced rolling resistance, 30% improved grip and 40% improved durability [over the G1.0 tires?].” - road.cc. Also double the mileage.

That combined with with the fact that Vittoria is one of the only companies to use 2 or more compounds, plus tubeless compatibility should mean that the new Corsa are one of, if not the, best race clincher on the market.

Are these claims even remotely true? I can’t find any information about them, and the tires are only available through the official Vittoria site.

Heres the graphic:

Old 03-28-19, 05:10 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Nope, haven't tried. Are these now on the shelves at the LBS? Found a pic of the new packaging, but haven't seen these (except an ebay seller) specified at the usual-suspect online shops -- i'm assuming they're trying to clear the 1.0 versions.

Old 03-28-19, 01:32 PM
floridamtb

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
I tried them, hard to fit at first, measured with digital calipers and they are true to size. I got more flats than I did with Contis so I dumped them and went back. What I saved over Contis I more than paid out on tubes and CO2
Old 03-28-19, 08:01 PM
smashndash

Originally Posted by floridamtb
I tried them, hard to fit at first, measured with digital calipers and they are true to size. I got more flats than I did with Contis so I dumped them and went back. What I saved over Contis I more than paid out on tubes and CO2
I think we’re talking about different tires here. The new Vittoria G2.0s barely came out a month ago and I’m certain you can’t get them for under $160 a pair - not much to save over the GP5k. I know the vittorias aren’t known for their puncture protection. I’m mainly asking about how good the brand new 2.0s are.
Old 03-29-19, 06:35 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by smashndash
The claims in numbers are: “the new Graphene 2.0 compound provides 40% reduced rolling resistance, 30% improved grip and 40% improved durability [over the G1.0 tires?].” - road.cc. Also double the mileage.

Are these claims even remotely true? I can’t find any information about them, and the tires are only available through the official Vittoria site.
Curiously, this linked article indicates the same extra mileage as you have, though 2 paragraphs or so later, it says the opposite somehow holds true for the off-road versions of the same tires?
https://cyclingtips.com/2019/02/vitt...ls-tyres-news/
Old 04-01-19, 03:38 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
I have a set of team issue tubulars which had the new compound a while back. Cheap at the swap because there was a mixup and they were too fat for the team bikes. The grip is phenomenal. Faster? Maybe. Any good tubular is fast and these are silk. Durability? Can't tell you yet. The grip is noticeable at times when you would not expect anything to be happening but it is there. When pushed even a little just lots of security.
Old 04-01-19, 04:07 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I haven't ridden the G 2.0s yet. This will be my third season on G+. I love 'em. I always found that tires were compromises that the components of, if well done, added up to certain number, never higher. In other words, you could make, say the grip 20% better but that improvement came out of both the rolling resistance and tendency to pick up glass and debris. Vittorias were, as a rule, better on grip than Continentals but worse on rolling, wear and cuts. Panaracer Paselas were the compromise where the components are nearly equal. Not tops at anything but not bad anywhere either. (Cost is one of those components.)

For me, the G+ tires are a big step up. A higher number. A game changer. You can still argue that this tire has better this or better that but the sum of those G+ tires is higher. (It won't be for long. All the major players will get on board and we all will win. The G+ aren't magic. I still get flats. Tiny radial wires get them, more so as the miles pile on. But compared to the Open Paves, wear is far better, they pick up a lot less debris and roll better in exchange for being slightly inferior in the wet (to an excellent wet road tire). Grip much better and roll the same as the Open Corsas.

I like that the G 2.0s I saw on the Vittoria websire use the same ribbed tread. Vittoria has brought back the tread I consider the best ever all 'rounder (and have for most of 50 years though I hadn't seen it the past 25). Fast, great cornering and is the best tread out there for climbing out of ruts and cracks or back onto the pavement. A full on racing tread with an agenda of keeping you upright. Wet or dry. In the real world. Combining that with the compound that both grips and wears well? My view - doesn't get much better.

Ben
Old 04-01-19, 04:17 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

That combined with with the fact that Vittoria is one of the only companies to use 2 or more compounds, plus tubeless compatibility should mean that the new Corsa are one of, if not the, best race clincher on the market.

Heres the graphic:

Ahh, that graph, I wish! Telling me I can go 3 times as fast using the G2.0s. Pretty soon we are going to see the Tour de France done at 40, 50 mph! G 2.0 is the real drug. EPO was just a plaything.
Old 04-02-19, 12:33 PM
bikebreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney

For me, the G+ tires are a big step up. A higher number. A game changer. You can still argue that this tire has better this or better that but the sum of those G+ tires is higher. (It won't be for long. All the major players will get on board and we all will win. The G+ aren't magic. I still get flats. Tiny radial wires get them, more so as the miles pile on. But compared to the Open Paves, wear is far better, they pick up a lot less debris and roll better in exchange for being slightly inferior in the wet (to an excellent wet road tire). Grip much better and roll the same as the Open Corsas.

Ben
same story with the tubular, the tubular G+ seem faster and more durable than old corsa but I notice less grip than the old Pave. even in dry.

I have killed a G+ tire by skid, making an emergency stop on a fast downhill and locking up the wheel. (don't assume a car will not suddenly decide to stop and turn left just because they are not signaling...)

other than that they last a long time, 25mm corsa G in back and 23mm Corsa Speed front (200 gram)
Old 04-02-19, 01:34 PM
Peter2290

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi-MOD

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahh, that graph, I wish! Telling me I can go 3 times as fast using the G2.0s. Pretty soon we are going to see the Tour de France done at 40, 50 mph! G 2.0 is the real drug. EPO was just a plaything.
I know you're being sarcastic, but of course the graph means nothing without a scale on the y-axis. It also doesn't mean anything since it's talking about the graphene 2.0 compound that's in the rubber and not the actual tire itself.

Just the usual misleading marketing for brand new tech.
Old 04-02-19, 06:07 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by bikebreak
same story with the tubular, the tubular G+ seem faster and more durable than old corsa but I notice less grip than the old Pave. even in dry.

I have killed a G+ tire by skid, making an emergency stop on a fast downhill and locking up the wheel. (don't assume a car will not suddenly decide to stop and turn left just because they are not signaling...)

other than that they last a long time, 25mm corsa G in back and 23mm Corsa Speed front (200 gram)
Am I mistaken, but I think the successor to the Pave is the Corsa Control G+, not the standard Corsa?
Old 04-02-19, 06:31 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Am I mistaken, but I think the successor to the Pave is the Corsa Control G+, not the standard Corsa?
That's the way I saw it. I'll probably stick with the straight Corsas as the grip is quite decent and I will not be racing in the rain, The older Corsa scared me in the wet and I wouldn't ride them, just the Paves (and Paselas - a real step down in performance and a real step up in not picking up debris). The Paselas now rarely see my good bikes.

Ben
Old 04-02-19, 11:23 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
just the Paves (and Paselas - a real step down in performance and a real step up in not picking up debris). The Paselas now rarely see my good bikes.

Ben
Which Pasela variety were you using? I've been using the non-PT ones on a vintage bike because it has 27" wheels, and I've actually been pleasantly surprised by their performance.
I avoided the blue-label PT Paselas because Panaracer doesn't seem to do half-measures with puncture protection layers, and so I was worried that they'd be very slow. I had a friend using T-Servs on his gravel bike for a while... we were equals in a road group at the time, but when we were both on our gravel bikes (mine using 53mm Rat Trap Pass ELs) he had a hard time even clinging to my draft when I was cruising along.
Old 04-03-19, 01:27 AM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by HTupolev
Which Pasela variety were you using? I've been using the non-PT ones on a vintage bike because it has 27" wheels, and I've actually been pleasantly surprised by their performance.
I avoided the blue-label PT Paselas because Panaracer doesn't seem to do half-measures with puncture protection layers, and so I was worried that they'd be very slow. I had a friend using T-Servs on his gravel bike for a while... we were equals in a road group at the time, but when we were both on our gravel bikes (mine using 53mm Rat Trap Pass ELs) he had a hard time even clinging to my draft when I was cruising along.
I use wired on (except the big 37c which only comes in folding). The cheapest have served me well. I don't think I hvae ridden many PTs.

Ben
Old 04-04-19, 09:54 AM
bikebreak

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Yes, but when I bought mine the Control was not out yet. caveat is the Corsa Control is much much heavier than the old Pave, especially in tubular.
The Corsa G is only a bit heaver than the old Corsa, and similar in clincher
Old 04-04-19, 05:57 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts

Heres the graphic:

Oh sure, that's legit.

No graph axis.
Blue bars are all exactly the same.
Orange bars are all exactly the same.
Old 04-08-19, 01:46 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Been trying to find the Rubino G+ Pro tires . . . seem out of stock (except limited sizes) . . . I guess the turnover to a new product explains that?
Old 04-08-19, 02:05 PM
ddub

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Alexander Kristoff (professional) has used the Graphene 2.0's tubeless for the last two races on the cobbles. No problems reported and he likes the feel over the tubulars, Or so the story says. Cycling News.
Old 04-08-19, 02:42 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
If the 1.0 version is any indication then the 2.0 Rubino Speed will be 20% lighter, have less rolling resistance, more grip, get less flats and cost half as much as the 2.0 Corsa.

The Rubino Speed is also not on ENVE's list of banned tires.

-Tim-
Old 05-21-19, 11:32 PM
smashndash

So I have a pair of G2.0 TLRs in hand, but have yet to burn through my stockpile of tires, and don't have a scale either, so I can't really post anything useful about them yet. I'll definitely post something once I have em on.

In other news: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...orsa-graphene2

Looks like something is seriously wrong. Not sure if this has anything to do with the ENVE debacle, but the 2.0 clincher Jarno tested was slightly beefier than the G+ he tested. It also tested significantly slower than the G+ and even the older CX. The rolling resistance really diverges at lower pressures, which indicates that the tire isn't very supple at all. Eagerly awaiting the Speed 2.0 and the TLR tests.

EDIT: Compared to the Pirelli P Zeros I'm running now (an excellent tire, by the way), the 2.0 clincher is 50g heavier and 1W slower (per tire, I presume?) at 80psi, which is the end of the spectrum I'm interested in. In other words, unless these tires stick to asphalt like velcro, it could spell trouble. Especially considering Vittoria's earth-shaking marketing claims.

Last edited by smashndash; 05-21-19 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-21-19, 11:39 PM
smashndash

https://www.thegeekycyclist.com/prod...oria-corsa-g2/

Here's a review that's nearly devoid of usable information about the tire.
Old 05-22-19, 05:44 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by ddub
Alexander Kristoff (professional) has used the Graphene 2.0's tubeless for the last two races on the cobbles. No problems reported and he likes the feel over the tubulars, Or so the story says. Cycling News.
Well...a week after your post....he lost Paris-Roubaix because of tire problems, and regretted his choice:

Kristoff regrets 'big risk' after using tubeless tyres in Paris-Roubaix | Cyclingnews.com

Originally Posted by f4rrest
Oh sure, that's legit.

No graph axis.
Blue bars are all exactly the same.
Orange bars are all exactly the same.
Classic marketing....just like you see for vitamin supplement commercials

Of course...in that case, the company selling that snakeoil got a lawsuit for their shenanigans. They still use that graphic though, and the woo is still up for sale.
Old 05-22-19, 06:52 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Well...a week after your post....he lost Paris-Roubaix because of tire problems, and regretted his choice:

Kristoff regrets 'big risk' after using tubeless tyres in Paris-Roubaix | Cyclingnews.com
And everyone who understands what went on knows the problem had nothing to do with the particular tire or tubeless vs. clincher, vs. tubular. His tires were simply too narrow for the conditions given his size. He would have had the same problems with any 25 mm tire.
Old 05-22-19, 07:21 AM
waters60

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
I bought a pair of Corsa G+ tubulars, deciding to “ upgrade “ from Rallys. Bought from Probikekit, rear one had a valve stem leak in less than 200 miles. Took them both off and put the Rallys back on, as I was not about to waste more money on another Corsa. 20 + years on Rallys and never a valve stem leak. I will be trying Veloflex Vlanderen next. Crossing my fingers!
Old 05-22-19, 07:53 AM
smashndash

Originally Posted by asgelle
And everyone who understands what went on knows the problem had nothing to do with the particular tire or tubeless vs. clincher, vs. tubular. His tires were simply too narrow for the conditions given his size. He would have had the same problems with any 25 mm tire.
Perhaps more pertinently, he used what is known to be an extremely delicate TT tire (not even crit race, due to its lack of grip) on one of the most demanding courses imaginable. Vittoria makes the Corsa, which is an allrounder, and the Corsa Control, which is specifically marketed towards cobbles and such.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.