Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Slit in rear tire - patch or replace?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-21-20, 08:10 PM
jawchops

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello: I am riding a 2010 Trek 1.2 with the original tires. I just noticed a small slit in the rear tire, maybe half an inch in length, runs perpendicular to the tire. Can't see anything poking out, it's like a paper cut. Seems to inflate fine and stay inflated. Just not sure if it's a disaster waiting to happen. Any suggestions on patching it or replacing it?

I tried posting a picture but wasn't able to (first post).

Thanks!
Old 04-21-20, 08:13 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
I'm surprised you haven't had other problems with the tires after being so old, almost 10 years. If there's a big hole in your tire, you should probably replace it. $12
Old 04-21-20, 08:14 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,899 Times in 2,536 Posts
Is it just in the tread or does it cut into the cord? Cord matters. With the tread, perhaps a small something will get stuck in there but the odds are small. For a cord cut, I'd repair or replace. Tread? I'd just ride it.

Ben
Old 04-21-20, 08:15 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
The first thing I take away is10 year old tires and you wonder about the need to replace them? What are you waiting for? If you do patch the tire what do you end up with? Ten year old rubber and casing cords that most will agree have long outlived their intended life span and will likely need replacement soon enough anyway. Andy
Old 04-21-20, 09:07 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
It's better to replace the tire but you can use Gorilla Glue Super Glue (flexible). Remove the tire, pinch the tire to open the cut, fill with super glue, remount tire and inflate. Once cured, dribble more glue over the cut and let dry. It should hold for a while but I agree with the others, buy a new tire. As an added precaution, it might be a good idea to glue a long patch on the inside of the tire, let dry, then dust with talcum powder to keep it from sticking to the tube.
Old 04-21-20, 09:27 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The first thing I take away is10 year old tires and you wonder about the need to replace them? What are you waiting for? If you do patch the tire what do you end up with? Ten year old rubber and casing cords that most will agree have long outlived their intended life span and will likely need replacement soon enough anyway. Andy
On paper I agree with you but I have some 20+ year old tires that are still very rideable. Perhaps they will be more prone to flats, be less supple, and wear faster, but overall seem to hold up pretty well 🤷‍♂️
Old 04-21-20, 09:30 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
A cut tire is another failure waiting to happen. Even repaired with a boot or Gorilla Glue it's going to find some way to let you down. When I find a cut through the casing I replace the tire.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 04-21-20, 10:24 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Originally Posted by tFUnK
On paper I agree with you but I have some 20+ year old tires that are still very rideable. Perhaps they will be more prone to flats, be less supple, and wear faster, but overall seem to hold up pretty well 🤷‍♂️

And if your tires have been good storage I agree that using the last of their lives is not wrong. But the Op seemed to suggest that their tires have been mounted and in use for the entire time. Andy (who has his last pair of Avocet Fast Grip tires on new wheels awaiting the frame from the painter right now)
Old 04-22-20, 04:54 AM
jawchops

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, all. Appreciate the advice. Sounds like it's time for one (or two) new tires.
Old 04-22-20, 08:27 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

We have customers who are rather penny wise and have had them comment after being convinced that fresh tires are a good choice that their bike feels nicer to ride. I have always said this, fresh rubber feels nicer, smoother, more resilient and feel more sure footed. I also am of the opinion that most tire "rubber" these days is formulated to work as intended for only a few thousand miles or a few years at best. I would be interested in more expert (in tire design or manufacturing) people's thoughts. My opinions are formed from the thousands of tires sold/repaired/replaced on customer bikes, what I read in brands' published info and the dozens I've personally used over the years. All not expert understanding stuff, although a large data pool just the same. Andy
Old 04-22-20, 01:47 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
After 10 years, it is likely there is significant wear that has happened gradually and is barely noticed. And a cut in the tire after ten years? Continue using that tire, but only to ride to the bike shop to buy a new tire.

A penny-pinching cyclist would take the much less worn front tire and swap it to the back, then install the new tire on the front. This is the bicycle equivalent of 'rotating your tires'. If you want to get matching tires or new tires front and rear just to start fresh, your old front tire likely has a lot of life left and can be kept as a spare in case some damage happens to the new tires, or for use on an indoor trainer, if you do that sort of thing.