Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What happens during bike on ped/bike crash

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What happens during bike on ped/bike crash

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-20, 05:26 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid
If they don't acknowledge my bell, I give 'em the buzzing they deserve. If I hit 'em, so what? Don't stand on the tracks when the train's comin' through!
Why do I find a comment like that from you not surprising?
Likes For spelger:
Old 08-19-20, 05:54 PM
BoraxKid

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
Why do I find a comment like that from you not surprising?
because your sense of humor is not as robust as mine?
Old 08-19-20, 05:55 PM
hammond9705

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
+1

The only times I'll use them is for commuting after dark, or a slow cool down after a ride.
+1

MUPs have too many kids, runners, dogs on those long leashes, ....etc. I avoid them almost all the time, and if I can’t I go slow and give plenty of warning
Old 08-19-20, 09:48 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
IANAL of course, but reading the law in my state it looks like "bicycle is a vehicle unless exempted" applies and there are numerous requirements for a vehicle user in an accident, so for example leaving the scene if there is personal injury could be felony hit and run.

scott s.
Old 08-20-20, 03:16 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by UsedToBeFaster
I have been riding my local MUP.
Most people ride or walk with head phones so crashes will 'be inevitable.
You use your bell and pass them at not much more than walking speed if you don't have much room.
Old 08-20-20, 04:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Some of you non-lawyers must have stayed at Holiday Inn Exprsses last night.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-20-20, 05:04 AM
skier

Bikes: Performer X-Low, Catrike Trail, Windcheetah Club Sport, HPV Grasshopper, FAW+ Velomobile (under construction)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 17 Posts

Get a fog horn? That should be loud enough for them to hear.

I find while riding MUPs that I’m frequently decelerating/accelerating as I come up on other trail users. I warn others (especially those walking dogs) when I’m coming up on them. I slow down to pass when necessary. I make sure the coast is clear and I don’t cut off people heading the other direction when I pass.

there are still times when people don’t hear me because of their music or conversations with friends. There are still times when people are looking elsewhere and will walk right into you, even when they’re walking towards you.

It’s just like driving on the road, keep up your situational awareness and go a safe speed. Unlike the road though, you can go faster when others aren’t around.
Old 08-20-20, 10:48 AM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Try to avoid MUP’s but there’s one that’s lightly traveled just off a regular route. Saw a rider ahead who was kind of in la la land, weaving a bit so when I approached I loudly said I was on his left. He apparently didn’t hear so as I was about to pass I screamed which startled him but he moved. Later he caught me on my purpose and was pissed that I yelled at him. What was I supposed to do? (Rhetorical question, just venting).
Old 08-20-20, 11:17 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by skier
Get a fog horn? That should be loud enough for them to hear.
Even better:
https://www.hammacher.com/product/wo...t-bicycle-horn
Old 08-20-20, 11:40 AM
sanmateoclimber

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
If you saw the sprinter up ahead, why didn't you slow down as you approached? It seems like you made things worse by not respecting other trail users.
The entire point of my anecdote was that the move was very abrupt and I had no way to anticipate it. The entire point of my post was that because of situations like this, I'm done using the MUP. Your expectation that every "respectful" cyclist will always overtake every pedestrian so slowly as to account for the possibility that the pedestrian might just suddenly shift all of their momentum a full 90 degrees to their left is not realistic. I am always vigilant to mitigate such risks; the fact that I have an anecdote about a time where the situation was so sudden that my vigilance failed me is a pretty lame reason to assume I'm not a respectful trail user. Thanks for sharing.
Likes For sanmateoclimber:
Old 08-20-20, 02:26 PM
BoraxKid

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by sanmateoclimber
Your expectation that every "respectful" cyclist will always overtake every pedestrian so slowly as to account for the possibility that the pedestrian might just suddenly shift all of their momentum a full 90 degrees to their left is not realistic.
Well actually, my expectation that cyclists will respect other MUP users is the very definition of realistic. If you won't respect other trail users, stay off the trail.
Likes For BoraxKid:
Old 08-20-20, 07:13 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
That looks like the Hornit I have. It is a higher pitch and doesn’t seem to command the attention as well as the lower pitched AirZound I used to have.

Neither is appropriate on a MUP IMO. Both too loud.

I have up close and personal foghorn experience. In my youth I had to test an installation’s performance for Coast Guard requirements. I had earplugs, earmuff hearing protection and towels wrapped around my head. I stood something like 10-20’ away with the decibel meter and they let it loose. I could feel the bones in my body vibrate.

Aha! I found it. Kahlenberg in Two Rivers WI are the go-to guys for foghorns. About 140 dB with 110 Hz.

I’m no sound expert but I know there’s no comparison between a Hornit and a Kahlenberg.. BB gun to a 155 howitzer....
Old 08-20-20, 11:00 PM
UsedToBeFaster

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
What abour bike on bike crashes

Thanks, lots of good advice for bike on pedestrian crashes but what about bike on bike crashes what happens then

So what happens when it does. Is it like a car crash? Exchange numbers? Decide whose at fault? Or does everyone just pay for your own property and medical damage.
Old 08-21-20, 05:41 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 330 Posts
Thanks, lots of good advice for bike on pedestrian crashes but what about bike on bike crashes what happens then
And rollerbladers and skateboarders and wheelchair athletes and trikes and.....

Pay attention, maintain a space cushion, avoid almost all crashes and limit damage in the OP’s “inevitable” case. If required, lawyers for civil claims.

I believe skydivers and hot air balloons should be addressed in another thread.
Old 08-21-20, 08:26 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
That looks like the Hornit I have. It is a higher pitch and doesn’t seem to command the attention as well as the lower pitched AirZound I used to have.

Neither is appropriate on a MUP IMO. Both too loud.

... Kahlenberg in Two Rivers WI are the go-to guys for foghorns. About 140 dB with 110 Hz ...
Yeah, that's just what we cyclists need. A 43" long, 20" wide, 148dB horn. Kahlenberg KM-135: click. Would have to find the right way to mount it. Probably an over-the-shoulder-Kahlenberg holder of some sort; that, or a BOB trailer. Boggles the mind.

You're probably right. The AirZound is about max, on a bike.
Old 08-21-20, 09:18 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
Since the whole virus thing and being aware of social distancing , I decided that my self imposed 10 meter rule was not possible on a multi use path. I have quit using them and have found that it is much safer for me not dealing with pedestrians with headphones or ear buds walking right in the middle of the path or people walking 3 abreast and not wanting to move. The other hazard that I found was dog walkers with thin retractable leashes(usually dark colored) extended out across the width of the lane. These were just major frustrations on an otherwise enjoyable ride that I just don't need. Multi use paths are for everyone except a cyclist. Even though here in Ventura, on some, the city has gone to the trouble of painting lanes depicting pedestrian or cyclist, with signs. Very rare anyone pays attention.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 08-21-20, 12:29 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Since the whole virus thing and being aware of social distancing , I decided that my self imposed 10 meter rule was not possible on a multi use path. I have quit using them and have found that it is much safer for me not dealing with pedestrians with headphones or ear buds walking right in the middle of the path or people walking 3 abreast and not wanting to move. The other hazard that I found was dog walkers with thin retractable leashes(usually dark colored) extended out across the width of the lane. These were just major frustrations on an otherwise enjoyable ride that I just don't need. Multi use paths are for everyone except a cyclist. Even though here in Ventura, on some, the city has gone to the trouble of painting lanes depicting pedestrian or cyclist, with signs. Very rare anyone pays attention.
I limit my MUP/trail usage, but I'll often jump on one when convenient and I'm not in a hurry. One thing that I've seen since the pandemic is peds spilling over to the bike paths (we typically have separate bike/ped paths in the Twin Cities) and, even worse, peds social distance walking with each other on the bike path... IOW, two people will be walking, one on either side of the path, with 5-6' between them and no real room to the sides, forcing you to split them. Ugh.
Old 08-21-20, 01:48 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
If overtaking someone and also having on coming traffic on any path or road, I'd hope you wait till the opposite lane is clear until passing. No sense going up the middle when you can just slow down to the 3 mph that many walk at.
Old 08-21-20, 02:02 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If overtaking someone and also having on coming traffic on any path or road, I'd hope you wait till the opposite lane is clear until passing. No sense going up the middle when you can just slow down to the 3 mph that many walk at.
If you're referring to my post, you misunderstand - I'm talking about people walking together, in the same direction, but purposely taking up the entire path so as to leave 5-6' between the two of them.
Old 08-21-20, 02:07 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by WhyFi
If you're referring to my post, you misunderstand - I'm talking about people walking together, in the same direction, but purposely taking up the entire path so as to leave 5-6' between the two of them.
Oh................ yes that is very annoying. On yesterday's ride there were three or four times I encountered that and slowed way down hoping they'd get to the same side.

I tried several months ago to explain the dislike of having to go up the middle, but they just took me as a grouchy old man and out of my mind. While stating that they had the right to do what they wanted anytime.

So I'm a little skittish of talking to other's on the trail now.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-21-20 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-21-20, 02:23 PM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
I consider myself an avid cyclist. MUP's are not for avid cyclists when they're being avid.
I will ride on MUP's, but I consider them to be primarily for pedestrians. That means I'm down to just about a walking pace when there are pedestrians around and I always defer to them, call out my intentions (such as "on your left") and pass slowly. I don't even trust that they will understand "on your left" as I've seen too many people actually move to their left upon hearing it.

Again, MUP's are mostly for pedestrians and cyclists need to extra considerate when using them.
Likes For fujidon:
Old 08-21-20, 02:57 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

fujidon

Yes, but don't think all MUP's are the same. Here ours is entirely for those out for fitness and leisure. It really isn't effective for those commuting to stores and work.

The first months of Covid did push me off of it entirely. But now that people are back to their old ways (even though Covid is still infecting at a high rate here) I've been riding the MUP more as there are some more crazy people on the road than prior to Covid. Mostly people looking at their phones instead of the road.

Since I'm pretty much on the retired side of any career or work, then there are certain times of the day I can ride and encounter very few joggers, walkers, runners or other cyclists. And it's nearly eleven miles end to end with a six mile stretch with no crossings or intersections that is on the end that few ever go to. Which gives a good section to go at it hard.

And most of the people that are problems are only seen one or two times, then there'll be a several weeks of people that have common sense and experience on the trail. But then other newbs will replace the previous eventually. Some learn and stay, others thankfully go away.

Hey... welcome to BF. Sometimes we get a little wrapped up in our personal viewpoint. But.... If you can take some heat now and then and don't take anything any of us say as a personal attack, then enjoy!
Old 08-21-20, 06:59 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
Well actually, my expectation that cyclists will respect other MUP users is the very definition of realistic. If you won't respect other trail users, stay off the trail.
I think most humans can be unpredictable at any given time. My experience is that areas like here in Southern California where a lot of us share a limited space it can be dangerous even if I am pedaling slowly. Which is why I no longer use multi use paths. I respect others and at times that is a one way deal. Not all humans are respectful and it only takes one to ruin a day of cycling. I have nearly been in a serious crash and it is not because I wasn’t being “respectful”.
Old 08-21-20, 09:27 PM
CoogansBluff

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Not saying my experience trumps all, but having biked frequently on MUP's, I cannot recall a single dangerous incident that I would attribute to someone wearing headphones while walking or biking. About 95% of the time, it's a biker going too fast, taking risky passes, being reckless, staying two abreast on a narrow trail, etc.
Old 08-21-20, 10:19 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
I don't understand why peds aren't required to have licences to walk on the MUP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.