Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Which new wheel do I need?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-16-20, 06:53 AM
milomcc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I hit a tractor recently and bent my front wheel, and need to fit a new one, it is a Mavic CXP 22. And the tires I use are a 700x23c. Can you recommend any good value front wheels that will work with this size?
thanks again!
Old 09-16-20, 07:31 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 137 Posts
If you've been happy with the Mavics, why not replace with the same wheel?
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 09-16-20, 07:57 AM
milomcc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Outrider1
If you've been happy with the Mavics, why not replace with the same wheel?
I’m wondering if there are cheaper alternatives that would work.
Old 09-16-20, 08:21 AM
apollodriver

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
hi there milomcc

many thanks for this great idea.

Originally Posted by milomcc
I hit a tractor recently and bent my front wheel, and need to fit a new one, it is a Mavic CXP 22. And the tires I use are a 700x23c. Can you recommend any good value front wheels that will work with this size?
thanks again!
food for thoughts - i am happy to read this
Likes For apollodriver:
Old 09-16-20, 09:45 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Mavic Aksiums are not expensive and bullet-proof.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 09-16-20, 11:37 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
You want to intentionally ride a bike with mismatched wheels. For what? A savings of $20. I would never do that. Find other places to save the $20. Skip beer for a week. Mow someone's lawn. Anything.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 09-16-20, 09:58 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Is there a problem with mismatched wheels or similar size? Isn't the point of a bike to be ridden?
Old 09-17-20, 05:40 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
Is there a problem with mismatched wheels or similar size? Isn't the point of a bike to be ridden?
What is you're recommendation to the OP?
Old 09-17-20, 06:44 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Originally Posted by philbob57
Would you put mismatched wheels on your car?

Would your wife allow you to put mismatched faucets in a dual sink bathroom?

You get the point, I hope.
Old 09-17-20, 10:14 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
As for a recommendation, the OP asked for a 'value' wheel, which indicates a limited budget. That, in turn, indicates a probable unwillingness to replace a rear wheel that is functioning well. A desire for value also probably means the OP won't be interested in buying a used or NOS CXP22 wheel or rim from ebay or having his LBS rebuild his wheel with new rim and spokes.

Before making a recommendation, though, I'd verify some things like budget, how much time the OP is willing to stay off his bike, whether he can build his own wheel.... I'd verify rear DO spacing. I'd probably mention Craigslist for local used wheels and Velomine.com for Mavic and Sun wheels - and I apologize to OP for not doing that in my first post. Craigslist may even offer a wheel with the right hub and a CXP22.

Velomine has some low cost Mavic wheelsets. They may be willing to sell a front wheel, especially one of their low-priced wheels with Sun rims. If budget is really tight and he can't build his own wheel, his LBS may be his best bet for lowest cash outlay.

Biking has always been a low-medium budget priority for me, and I've never had a lot of disposable income. My wheels match now, but I rode for 30 years with different rims on front and back. Obviously I enjoyed the ride.

I'll assume you don't think I should have retired from biking until my budget allowed me to discard a perfectly good rear rim or, worse, wheel.

Bikes are for riding.

Yes, I'd replace one wheel on my car if the specs were right, if I needed only one wheel. I don't have a dual sink bathroom, but I would want to keep the faucets the same, even if I had to replace only one, but if the budget were tight and I didn't contemplate selling the house in the near future, I might argue for mismatched faucets.

If I have to choose between function and appearance, I've almost always chosen function. I think that's almost always the better choice.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 09-17-20, 10:44 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Making sure your wheels are matched is an act of slavish obedience to style over substance. For every one second you waste concerning yourself about matching parts you are missing two seconds of riding.

To the OP:

There are many many wheels available with the correct 700C rims. You probably want a narrower one (like ~13-18 mm inside width) if you are using 23mm tires.

You can either visit an LBS and see what they have, look on craigslist/kijiji/facebook for people selling wheels, or order something online. Or you can order another rim and swap the hub and spokes over. If you get one that is dimensionally similar to the original Mavic rim, you can tape the rims together and move the spokes over one at a time.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 09-17-20, 11:04 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Would you put mismatched wheels on your car?.

Would and have, both on my hybrid bike and plow truck. Personal choices of function or value over form.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 09-17-20, 12:02 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Yes. i've done this before, once because I needed a functional wheel to be able to drive my car, and another time as a stylistic choice.

The premise of this question is flawed, as it assumes a power dynamic that does not exist in my marriage. My wife and I take time to hear each other out on all matters. So in the event that I wanted to install non-matching sinks, as long as she understood my POV and it was well reasoned, she would most likely support my decision. Otherwise, she would voice her concerns and we would talk about it, as people in a healthy relationship do.

That some people are vain and overly fixated on appearances, to the point that they put form over function? Yes, I have met Apple, Rapha, and Cervelo fans in the wild.
Likes For BoraxKid:
Old 09-17-20, 12:06 PM
BoraxKid

Originally Posted by milomcc
thanks again!
Since you're only replacing the front, if you want something basic and cheap, this should work:

https://www.amazon.com/WheelMaster-7.../dp/B000AO7DBA

At 36 spokes, it's probably over-built, but it should work.
Old 09-17-20, 01:38 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Originally Posted by BoraxKid
The premise of this question is flawed, as it assumes a power dynamic that does not exist in my marriage. My wife and I take time to hear each other out on all matters. So in the event that I wanted to install non-matching sinks, as long as she understood my POV and it was well reasoned, she would most likely support my decision. Otherwise, she would voice her concerns and we would talk about it, as people in a healthy relationship do.

That some people are vain and overly fixated on appearances, to the point that they put form over function? Yes, I have met Apple, Rapha, and Cervelo fans in the wild.
Okay. So you consider wanting matching wheels to be "vain and overly fixated on appearances" to the point of form over function. Wait, in both of my examples, wheels for a car and faucets for a vanity, either option would function. Form can enhance function, and it has a cost.

As for power dynamics, or whatever nonsense you've been taught...pfft. Real men don't deal in that. At all.

I cannot imagine a scenario where I would have any input on faucets unless it would be concerning durability, serviceability, or some nuance of the plumbing or some such. If my wife wants gold leaf on the master vanity, well, then we'll have a sensitive conversation sharing our points of view and then hugging it out. Sheesh.

My wife and I have the sense not to debate trivial things. She has her domain expertise, and I have mine. We're complementary, as God made us.

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 09-17-20 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-17-20, 01:49 PM
BoraxKid

As for power dynamics, or whatever nonsense you've been taught...pfft. Real men don't deal in that. At all.
Wow, you sound extremely secure in yourself and not at all like someone that is projecting false machismo as a compensating mechanism. I applaud your resolve. Let us know if you can get permission for a bike ride weekend, mmkay?
Likes For BoraxKid:
Old 10-31-20, 06:51 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts

I think the question may be...is it a matter of function or aesthetics? I have been riding for over 40 yrs and, although I generally ride matched wheels, I have ridden mismatched wheels with no issues.
Old 10-31-20, 10:22 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
It comes down to hubs. You will have to decide if your current hubs are a lot better than the hub in the cheap wheel; most likely it is. That would be the determining factor for me.

If I had a decent damaged front wheel, and was budget minded, I would look for a cheap used wheel that would get me by until I found a replacement rim and lace it to my existing hub.

I have always run matched wheels, but have no issue running an interim mis-match.

On the matched/mis-matched discussion. There is probably an argument to purposefully run mis-matched rims especially if different size tires are being used; front to back. It is readily accepted to have different spoke count, why not a narrower rim in front for a narrower tire.

John
Old 10-31-20, 10:26 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,826 Posts
Don’t care to enter into the form vs function, vain vs practical debate, but want to know the backstory about hitting a tractor.

Old 10-31-20, 11:07 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 158 Posts
Don't ride with mismatched wheels. If you do it will suddenly become very quiet, the clouds will open up, and a bolt of lightening will come down and blow you to kingdom come.
Old 11-02-20, 10:13 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 955 Posts
Any 700c Non disk brake front wheel made in the last 50 years will do. Start by cruising your local Craigslist.
Old 11-03-20, 07:50 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
As far an form and function .... its a freaking bike wheel. ALL bike wheels have approximately the same form ..... a few more spokes or fewer, except for those all-carbon- tri-spoke wheels from Spinergy (are they still around?) Oddly, every serious time-trial bike i see has mismatched wheels ... what do the pros, know, right?

I just realized last night that my Cervelo clone (and be careful talking about Cervelos---they Are special ) has different wheels front and rear---both Vueltas, but different models.

However ---- the bike Always had "mismatched" wheels because (as with most of my bikes) it has a 20- or 24-spoke front and a 24- or 28-spoke rear wheel. Oh, noes!! Mismatch? The form varies, so they will not function!!!!

And any one who uses the phrase "real men" in any sort of an unironic way ... I pity that person and hope for his eventual enlightenment.