Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cannondale RT2 - Bottom Bracket

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 01-17-21, 12:43 PM
kmulder

Bikes: Cannondale RT2 Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am in the process of refreshing our RT2 tandem this winter and I am having trouble knowing what bottom bracket standard it uses. The stock bottom brackets are FSA Mega Exo BB-7000/TD.

The exact component is available on Amazon for $56 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017YY4JLU) but I'm interested in exploring other options for replacement if this is a standard size I could get from a different brand. For example, most Shimano Ultegra BBs are ~$30, so quite a bit cheaper.

Any ideas what size standard this is? Thank you!
Old 01-19-21, 10:26 AM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
This is a very common size. Look for an English thread 68/73mm that supports a 24mm spindle. There are many 68mm offerings, but if your bike requires 73 you need that make sure yours will support 73. The differences are made up with washers so unless you know for sure, look for one that supports 68/73.

Shimano has a few options with smaller diameter bearings and requires an adapter tool to use a standard bottom bracket tool (the new BB usually includes the adapter), anyway, I would stay away from these as the bearings use smaller balls and the radial loads you get from pedaling will destroy those bearings much quicker than the larger size. There is nothing more annoying than the constant click click click on an otherwise silent bike.
Likes For Alcanbrad:
Old 01-19-21, 06:37 PM
kmulder

Bikes: Cannondale RT2 Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, Alcanbrad, for the very thorough and informative response! Very helpful!