Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Katakura-Silk/Nishiki Professional

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Katakura-Silk/Nishiki Professional

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-18, 12:48 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by since6

This is the 1981 Nishiki Professional with Campagnolo Nuovo Record Gruppo. I found the correct saddle, stem, handlebar, seat post and finished it off with Cateye cloth bar tape and paint matched Silca frame pump with Campagnolo head piece. I did switch the gears back from a 28T to a 12-20T freewheel. This change means no hills for me, though there are lovely trails I can ride which are built on converted railroad tracks to there's little grade, except for the over passes!

The bike rides really nice and it has given me a memory I will not forget when on an early spring ride I got caught on the way back by the rain and with no fenders earned the black stripe of mud, rotted leaves, twigs etc. down helmet and across back, plus smeared glasses, but in that misery for those last 9 miles as I pushed as hard as I could I touched those grainy black and white pictures of the hard hard men racing over cobblestones up mountain passes in the cold rain and mud. Priceless.
Ah those dirty rainy rides! Thanks for reminding me to install fenders on my commuter. The season here in the PNW is certainly near!

I’m glad to hear that later model Professional has turned out to be an enjoyable ride for you. I’m learning towards fast geared riding for mine as well. It should serve as a fair weather city sprinter. At least until plans change as they often do.

And the ‘74? What became of that lovely silver, and blue Nishiki?
Old 10-09-18, 12:49 PM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts

Here's the earlier 1970's Nishiki Professional-Katakura/Silk. I got a set of new decals and had them installed and then clear coated the frame as is. The reason for this is because the frame and fork are both completely chrome plated which you can see in the close up of the front fork drop out where the paint is missing it is shiny chrome. I upgraded to Suntour Cyclone derailleurs, added a dual Minora handlebar water bottle cage, new Velocity Atlas rims and 32mm compass tires, Grand Compe vintage center pull brakes, new brake hoods and cool stop pads and MKS New Sylvan pedals oh and a wider handlebar.
Later I found a vintage Primus bike pump and had it painted to match the frame.
This too rides really nice and with the 32mm tires you hardly notice chip seal and bridge edges.
Good luck on your restoration, post when you're done so we can all share.
Old 10-10-18, 01:27 AM
deux jambes

Here's the earlier 1970's Nishiki Professional-Katakura/Silk. I got a set of new decals and had them installed and then clear coated the frame as is. The reason for this is because the frame and fork are both completely chrome plated which you can see in the close up of the front fork drop out where the paint is missing it is shiny chrome. I upgraded to Suntour Cyclone derailleurs, added a dual Minora handlebar water bottle cage, new Velocity Atlas rims and 32mm compass tires, Grand Compe vintage center pull brakes, new brake hoods and cool stop pads and MKS New Sylvan pedals oh and a wider handlebar.
Later I found a vintage Primus bike pump and had it painted to match the frame.
This too rides really nice and with the 32mm tires you hardly notice chip seal and bridge edges.
Good luck on your restoration, post when you're done so we can all share.
Stunning bike! I really appreciate that it retains its original vintage vibe, while wearing a smart selection of upgrades. I think mine will show similar results since I already have an early Cyclone set, and a pair of barcons on hand. Wheels, gears, and breaks are yet to chosen. I’ll definitely share the project here.

By the way, the decals really added a perfect finishing touch to your bike! May I ask where you sourced them from?
Likes For deux jambes:
Old 10-10-18, 07:47 AM
since6

Velocals is who I sourced my decals from they have the entire set of Nishiki Professional decals, except the pink/silver metallic "Silk":decal on the fork legs. Luckily the originals could be saved and where clear coated over to try and retain them into the future.

[PDF]

1974 Nishiki Brochure - VeloBase.com

velobase.com/CatalogScans/nishiki-1974.pdfYou may want to find this online as it has the entire Nishiki line of bikes for 1974 including the Professional and lists the components for this model.
Old 10-10-18, 10:35 AM
deux jambes

Velocals is who I sourced my decals from they have the entire set of Nishiki Professional decals, except the pink/silver metallic "Silk":decal on the fork legs. Luckily the originals could be saved and where clear coated over to try and retain them into the future.

[PDF]

1974 Nishiki Brochure - VeloBase.com

velobase.com/CatalogScans/nishiki-1974.pdfYou may want to find this online as it has the entire Nishiki line of bikes for 1974 including the Professional and lists the components for this model.
I’m disappointed that the fork decals appear unavailable, as mine are missing. You’re very fortunate to have them, and that they’re in good shape too! I see them as a very interesting detail for this particular bike.

Anyhow, thank you for sharing your lovely project. It’s a true source of inspiration!
Old 10-10-18, 12:19 PM
since6

Here's a thought, you can copy either of these pictures of the decal on my fork and then mail copies of these photos to Velocals and ask if they can reproduce them. I had to do that on a one of a kind bike to have decals made from photos and they made exact and excellent reproductions from the photos I supplied. There will be cost as they are doing a one of run of decals, but if they can do it you will receive great decals.
Old 10-10-18, 12:28 PM
since6

This "Silk" decal is approx. 12mm wide by 12mm high.

Another unique part to the Nishiki Professional-Katakura/Silk bike are the handlebars, "Nishiki Road Silk":

Old 10-11-18, 07:01 PM
deux jambes

Here's a thought, you can copy either of these pictures of the decal on my fork and then mail copies of these photos to Velocals and ask if they can reproduce them. I had to do that on a one of a kind bike to have decals made from photos and they made exact and excellent reproductions from the photos I supplied. There will be cost as they are doing a one of run of decals, but if they can do it you will receive great decals...

This "Silk" decal is approx. 12mm wide by 12mm high.

Great idea, and well worth trying I think. I really appreciate that you thought of sharing the dimensions! The framset is due to arrive tomorrow, and I’ll have a better idea what I’m working with once its delivered. Handlebars were included, but not pictured, or specified if they’re original or not. Of course I’m hoping they are, but I’ll be ecstatic none the less just to have such a killer frame to build, and in the mean time yours will continue to be an inspiration!
Old 10-11-18, 10:06 PM
since6

When the dust settles do post pictures of what you receive. Also check out the stamped frame number on the bottom bracket as you can learn a lot about the date of manufacture, etc. You should also check out the fork legs in that if they are like my bike then they will not be oval like more modern fork legs but instead will be round in profile.
Old 10-18-18, 11:18 AM
noahwayout

Bikes: Velo Orange Pass Hunter, 72 Nishiki Competition, 72 Nishiki Road Compe, Proteus road bike,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's my fairly unaltered Professional. I'm not totally sure about the skip-tooth rear cluster but the bike also came with it's original tubular wheels and a set of clinchers. I don't recall which set of wheels is in the pictures. The saddle is the original which I posted about a while back.

Likes For noahwayout:
Old 10-22-18, 08:00 AM
since6

Very nice noahwayout. How does that saddle ride, it looks like it is a little broader in the back? Which would be a plus for my sit bones.

If you want an OMG moment check out ebay which has a black stitched Elina Super Pro for.....(drum roll)....$650.00. Maybe a typo??? Take good care of your saddle.

Last edited by since6; 10-22-18 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-22-18, 09:53 AM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
@noahwayout Very cool bike.
Old 10-25-18, 02:24 PM
classicjapanese

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This all happened because of what happened over a year ago when I found and purchased a Nishiki Professional, see prior post: “Nishiki Professional with Campagnolo Nuvo Record Gruppo”.

The seat tube of the Nishiki Professional has a set of bands painted on it, which I learned from William Bevington is a paint design unique to the Nishiki top of the line bikes: “That look with the bands runs across the pros, the ultimate, and the superb as well.”

And so it was while grazing through bikes on eBay, you know auto pilot, that I came across this bike, why? Because it has the same pattern of bands on its seat tube that my Nishiki Professional does, as well as the Nishiki Ultimate and Nishiki Superb.

Attachment 584984

There was also the stamping on the bottom bracket: KI20151. Which tell us that this bike is a Katakura frame, which was the 151st made in September of 1972.

Yes, it had happened again, I had found another, older, and in some ways perhaps rarer Nishiki Professional.
Greetings to all ! — think that any bicycle you can procure with that happy little "silk" insignia is a real find — Katakura was a "converted" manufacturer after the war — and they had a hand in some of the machines built for the Tokyo Olympics in 1964 — so quality was a central issue for them — https://www.rizzoliusa.com/book/9780847861705/ — I cover them briefly, under the Nishiki section of the book because they did build some of their earlier machines -- although the brand name kind of continues in Japan -- they did not quite make it out of the 20th Century — Also I hope some of you are enjoying the book — cheers!
Old 10-25-18, 03:49 PM
since6

classicjapanese: I have really enjoyed the book and was surprised to learn that I own two of the bikes discussed in it, one a 1972 Nishiki Professional - Katakura Silk and the other a 1981 Nishiki Professional - Campagnolo Gruppo. Thanks for all the research that went into this book which is a real reference for vintage Japanese collectors.
In your research for "Japanese Steel" did you ever come across the Erba bicycle? I have a "H. Hagiwara" signature decaled Erba that is both my grail and mystery bike. It is made with Champion Pro tubing and is the lightest frame I have ever held in hand with internal routing of the shift cables. It was originally sourced with either Nuovo Record or Super Record components, but I found it as only a frame and a fork.. You can see the before and after pictures of the restoration if you search H. Hagiwara and/or Erba in Bike Forums. A master builder made this frame, a pure race bike, and I choose to restore it with a mix of top line Suntour components, but I have never been able to discover who "H. Hagiwara" was and/or who made this Erba. Short of flying to Japan and undertaking a search there I will probably just have to live with the mystery, but thought to ask if you might know more. My thanks.
Old 10-30-18, 12:57 PM
noahwayout

Bikes: Velo Orange Pass Hunter, 72 Nishiki Competition, 72 Nishiki Road Compe, Proteus road bike,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very nice noahwayout. How does that saddle ride, it looks like it is a little broader in the back? Which would be a plus for my sit bones.

If you want an OMG moment check out ebay which has a black stitched Elina Super Pro for.....(drum roll)....$650.00. Maybe a typo??? Take good care of your saddle.
I know! It's always something to realize the saddle is worth more than you paid for the bike. I'm not sure how the saddle rides since I never got around to getting the bike into riding order. It was one of those too-cheap-to-pass-up Craigslist impulse buys and it's just been hanging around ever since. I'm purging most of my bicycles so I'll probably post to bike to ebay or perhaps here in the next couple of months.
Old 02-25-21, 06:17 AM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 129 Posts
Recently picked up a silver/blue example just like since6 's one here, only in more battered shape. Seems to have grown old with its owner, before being put out to (damp) pasture... it gained an 80s era Sugino triple, 90s era Brooks B17 and some upright bars with thumbies - I reckon the only original bits left might be the centerpulls, headset and maybe BB once I get that far.

S/n is KE22926. That very special seat bolt had rusted into a solid nugget, has now come free after a long marinating in PBblaster but the threads are too far gone to ever work again - I will need to find an alternative for this one!