Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Favorite tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-18, 09:53 PM
CBee

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Favorite tires?

It’s almost time for some new tires. What’re your favorite road tires for SS/FG bikes? Looking for 700x25.
Old 09-01-18, 10:36 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Vittoria Rubino Pros.
Old 09-01-18, 11:04 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Vittoria Rubino G+ Speed.
Old 09-01-18, 11:51 PM
StirFry

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts
I run a Continental GP4000 in the front, and Continental GP 4 Season in the rear.
Old 09-02-18, 12:32 AM
czr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nvm
Old 09-02-18, 08:14 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Another vote for Rubino Pro. Nice ride, look and price point.
Old 09-02-18, 05:56 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Depends if you skid or not.

Vittoria Corsa have been my go to tires for anything primarily hitting the pavement.
They can be found for practically almost half-off online vs in-store. They will not last very long at all if you are brakeless and skid a lot.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 09-02-18, 10:44 PM
CBee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m not much of a skidder. To many distracted drivers in my area to not run a break.
Old 09-03-18, 07:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Vittoria Corsa G+ for ride quality and looks.

Continental Gatorskins or Gatorhardshells for heavy urban riding.
Old 09-03-18, 08:28 PM
ryan_rides

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Cordoba 2021 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
Gatorskin hardshell tires are my favorite. I also just started running tire liners a little over a month ago. Bomb proof!
Old 09-03-18, 11:10 PM
CBee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve been running these Serfas Seca tires for awhile now. They seem fine, no real problems to report, but they make the bike ride like a horse, and they seem a little slippery around corners at times. I think I’ll try the Vittoria tires based on the feedback. Thanks, folks.
Old 09-04-18, 09:22 AM
nightfly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Do you want good ride feel, durability or cost?

Some people swear by Gatorkins. I think they ride like sh*t. Personally as a good, inexpensive, decent riding and durable all around tire I like Paselas. But I will probably sacrifice a little durability for road feel next time and go with something like Vittoria Corsas or Challenge Strada Biancas or something from Compass that comes in around 28.
Old 09-04-18, 10:47 AM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
Folding gators. I think they ride fine and wear like iron. Never get flats anymore, even when I skid them down to the cords. Cheap tires don't last so you end up paying the same in the long run. Want to try out a GP4000 on the front wheel though.
Old 09-04-18, 11:06 AM
CBee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nightfly
Do you want good ride feel, durability or cost?

Some people swear by Gatorkins. I think they ride like sh*t. Personally as a good, inexpensive, decent riding and durable all around tire I like Paselas. But I will probably sacrifice a little durability for road feel next time and go with something like Vittoria Corsas or Challenge Strada Biancas or something from Compass that comes in around 28.
Cost isn’t really an issue, I know you get what you pay for. I prefer a little more road feel over durability. I don’t ride too crazy.
Old 09-04-18, 11:33 AM
hay
tumbleweed

Bikes: stumpy,bianchi,Wabi classic

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Panaracer Gravelkings do it for me. Full confidence on the street and wide enough for off the path.
Rubino g+ are nice too for road use
Old 09-04-18, 02:37 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

FYI...

Vittoria Rubino Pro 3 - 23mm - $14.07

https://www.merlincycles.com/vittori...yre-47115.html
Old 09-04-18, 02:47 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2638 Post(s)
Liked 3,151 Times in 1,658 Posts
Depends on what you want in a tire. For value/affordability, any of the Vittoria Rubino series are a good choice - see Tim's link above. The Serfas Seca posted by @CBee is also a smart buy. For durability you can go w Conti Gatorskins, but they ride like bricks. For a soft, fast, high end tire check the Corsa G+'s, or the older model Corsa Evo CX are also very nice. A lot of people swear by Conti GP4000's but the sidewalls are weak and they've torn on me one too many times. Lastly, the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance seems to be a nice balance IME between a fast tire and a bullet proof tire
Old 09-04-18, 02:53 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Depends on what you want in a tire. For value/affordability, any of the Vittoria Rubino series are a good choice - see Tim's link above. The Serfas Seca posted by @CBee is also a smart buy. For durability you can go w Conti Gatorskins, but they ride like bricks. For a soft, fast, high end tire check the Corsa G+'s, or the older model Corsa Evo CX are also very nice. A lot of people swear by Conti GP4000's but the sidewalls are weak and they've torn on me one too many times. Lastly, the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance seems to be a nice balance IME between a fast tire and a bullet proof tire
I am a big fan of the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance. I think of them as commute/training tires you can race on. Also the Krylion 2's are almost as good and pretty inexpensive. Great bang for the buck.
Old 09-04-18, 03:14 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Vittoria Corsa G+ for ride quality and looks.

+1 And Vittoria brought back ribbed thread! (Why it disappeared for 30 years I'll never understand. Probably the best all around thread ever. NOt the best but very good for rolling resistance, corning and no surprises in the wet. And they are the best for that rare event when you drop your tire into a crack or rut and have to climb out.)

I'd started thinking my love of the most common tread on sewups in the day was just my imagination; that I only thought it was that nice. I always like the high end Vittorias. Bought a pair of the 28c Corsa G+. Went for a ride. Wow! But that could just nice tires and 28c, Then I did the rut climb, Oh yeah! Ribbed tread! Put 25c G+ on my good bike. Wow! again. Ant that rut climbing ability, My ribbed tread love is back!

For city/rain/winter (except snow and ice), I love the Paselas. Not great at anything but a really nice compromise with a very decent ride. Not great glass protection but a tread and pattern that picks up very little. The larger Paselas work quite well off road. I wouldn't use them for serious off-road riding but for the occasional they work quite well.

Ben
Old 09-04-18, 03:24 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I am a big fan of the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance. I think of them as commute/training tires you can race on. Also the Krylion 2's are almost as good and pretty inexpensive. Great bang for the buck.
I read on another thread that the Krylion 2 Endurance is replacing the Pro 4 Endurance, which has been my choice for high-mileage training tires for the last several years.
Old 09-04-18, 04:58 PM
CBee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
FYI...

Vittoria Rubino Pro 3 - 23mm - $14.07

https://www.merlincycles.com/vittori...yre-47115.html
Nice deal! Thanks for the link.
Old 09-04-18, 07:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
+1 And Vittoria brought back ribbed thread! (Why it disappeared for 30 years I'll never understand. Probably the best all around thread ever. NOt the best but very good for rolling resistance, corning and no surprises in the wet. And they are the best for that rare event when you drop your tire into a crack or rut and have to climb out.)

I'd started thinking my love of the most common tread on sewups in the day was just my imagination; that I only thought it was that nice. I always like the high end Vittorias. Bought a pair of the 28c Corsa G+. Went for a ride. Wow! But that could just nice tires and 28c, Then I did the rut climb, Oh yeah! Ribbed tread! Put 25c G+ on my good bike. Wow! again. Ant that rut climbing ability, My ribbed tread love is back!

For city/rain/winter (except snow and ice), I love the Paselas. Not great at anything but a really nice compromise with a very decent ride. Not great glass protection but a tread and pattern that picks up very little. The larger Paselas work quite well off road. I wouldn't use them for serious off-road riding but for the occasional they work quite well.

Ben
It's ribbed for her...nevermind. I saw the tires and for some reason just had to have them on my new bike and couldn't be happier. The ride quality is so excellent and it can handle a wide range of surfaces as you were saying even in such a narrow width (granted 28 is not narrow for some). I do a ride every year that is about 180 miles and there is sometimes bad weather or some mixed surfaces and this year was no let down on that front but I felt a lot better on those tires than I would have on something lesser. Sure being in a down pour going down hill on a busy road that is almost like a highway will never be not scary but a least my tires stayed gripped to the ground so I could ride those brakes down for dear life.
Old 09-05-18, 08:31 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

I found the Michelin products to be twitchy, nervous when pushed near the limits during hard cornering. They would not slide until the limit was reached and then they would just let go without warning. They roll like billiard balls and have tons of grip but will bite you if pushed past their limits.

The Vittoria products seem to be a little more forgiving and predictable. They will start to slide gently, letting you know that you are near the limit, and if you let off then they will gently start to grip again. Very supple and easier to push hard.

The Corsa G+ is 252 grams. The Rubino G+ Speed is 198 grams and I believe it is superior to the Corsa G+ in terms of grip in corners, how it accelerates due to light weight and rolling resistance especially at pressures >100 PSI. The Corsa G+ pick up every pebble, leaf and grain of sand or glass and will be coming off my bike as soon as they wear out in favor of the Rubino G+ Speed.

Rubino G+ Speed wear out fast though, and are probably not a good choice for areas with nasty roads and lots of debris.

The Corsa G+ Speed is interesting but at $80 each I'm in no rush to find out.

I'm thinking of a townie bike and those Compass jobbers look really nice.

-Tim-
Old 09-05-18, 08:33 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
I would never ride 25mm personally. That being said, my favourite all around/do it all tyres would be the schwalbe g-one speed.
Old 09-05-18, 08:42 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
If you like to skid, and / or have a lot of goatheads in your area, these are ideal, and come in 700 x 26:

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...ave-found.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.