Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Official BF Eroica California 2020 Roll Call!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Official BF Eroica California 2020 Roll Call!

Old 03-14-20, 09:33 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
I did a Lighthouse Century up there a few years ago, and the SAG stop had special Linn's ollaliberry (SP?) - apple pie for the riders. They said they were testing it out before making it a regular product. It got my vote, but have never seen it for sale anywhere. Too much good stuff!

Last edited by Slightspeed; 03-14-20 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-15-20, 01:37 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I did a Lighthouse Century up there a few years ago, and the SAG stop had special Linn's ollaliberry (SP?) - apple pie for the riders. They said they were testing it out before making it a regular product. It got my vote, but have never seen it for sale anywhere. Too much good stuff!
Steve, the bottom catalog link and pages 4-5 and 6-7 detail small and large pies, premade and ready to thaw and eat, or frozen and ready to bake. They even have pot pies! The entire mail order catalog looks scrumptious and of course, energy packed for those long rides or for putting inches on that you have to ride off!

https://www.linnsfruitbin.com/conten...t-catalog/4-5/

https://www.linnsfruitbin.com/conten...t-catalog/6-7/

Linn’s Olallieberry Pie, mmmmm!

not inexpensive as most good things are, but if you’ve a hankering, this is your fix. $70 incl. shipping 2nd day air frozen, 9”, 8(!) pounds.

oh, and if in the LA / Buena Park Area, Linn’s products are available at Knotts Berry Farm, or so I’ve been told.

Last edited by mech986; 03-15-20 at 01:44 AM.
Old 03-15-20, 10:57 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Originally Posted by mech986
Steve, the bottom catalog link and pages 4-5 and 6-7 detail small and large pies, premade and ready to thaw and eat, or frozen and ready to bake. They even have pot pies! The entire mail order catalog looks scrumptious and of course, energy packed for those long rides or for putting inches on that you have to ride off!

https://www.linnsfruitbin.com/conten...t-catalog/4-5/

https://www.linnsfruitbin.com/conten...t-catalog/6-7/

Linn’s Olallieberry Pie, mmmmm!

not inexpensive as most good things are, but if you’ve a hankering, this is your fix. $70 incl. shipping 2nd day air frozen, 9”, 8(!) pounds.

oh, and if in the LA / Buena Park Area, Linn’s products are available at Knotts Berry Farm, or so I’ve been told.
Thanks, Bart. We have a long history with Linn's, and the waistlines to prove it. Didn't know about Knott's having the product locally, but some days it takes as long to get there as Cambria. Every trip to Cambria, we bring back a cooler packed with frozen pie products. My favorite Linn's memory, is, years ago, we were both sick, and missed the family Christmas gathering. My brother sent us a Linn's mail order cooler packed with dry ice, a large dinner size meat pot pie, and a couple of frozen fruit pies. I cried, out of frustration at being sick, but so thankful for the kind thoughts, and, of course, the great pies. Stay healthy my friend, and ride on!
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 03-15-20, 12:05 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 315 Posts
I suspect by now most everyone has received an email from Eroica California
I've still not received the email from them, and yes, I've checked my junk mail folder. Either way, I know that it's been postponed. I'll be watching here for news of a new date as I apparently won't be getting word directly from Eroica.
Old 03-15-20, 12:21 PM
Slightspeed

Originally Posted by Brad L
I've still not received the email from them, and yes, I've checked my junk mail folder. Either way, I know that it's been postponed. I'll be watching here for news of a new date as I apparently won't be getting word directly from Eroica.
Same here.
Old 03-15-20, 12:25 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 269 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad L
I've still not received the email from them, and yes, I've checked my junk mail folder.
Same here.
Old 03-15-20, 06:12 PM
mech986 

Until your emails arrive, the other official announcements are here on Eroica California Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/eroicacalif...GruonDwLY2SVmh

They still have not yet updated their website but I suspect it will come by Tuesday. The Italians are probably quite busy with their own issues and the L’Eroica event in the fall.
Old 03-16-20, 02:23 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 421 Times in 205 Posts
I got an email today from Eroica.CC, in Italian and English. here is the pertinent (English) part:

New Dates for April Events:
Eroica California, NOVA Eroica California,
and NOVA Eroica Buonconvento

This is a message to remind our dear Eroici that we are here, and that sometimes being heroic also means facing difficult moments and taking responsibility. This health emergency that we are experiencing obliges everyone to be aware and respect the common good, obviously putting public health and civic duty first over all other matters. Even more so in these moments of restrictions and difficulties, it is precisely the opportunities to gather in a joyful atmosphere that we miss most.

For the known reasons of force majeure we had to stop the organization of our April events, and it is with great sadness that we have decided to postpone Eroica California, NOVA Eroica California and NOVA Eroica Buonconvento until later in the year.

However, we want to underline that we are well aware of the difficulties of this situation and when we make a decision regarding their postponement, we will certainly decide everything taking into account all involved: the institutions, event organisers and, of course, you all.

The new dates of Eroica California and NOVA Eroica California will be communicated as soon as possible by our American friends in charge of these events.
The date of NOVA Eroica Buonconvento will be announced after April 3 and/or as soon as the picture of the health emergency is clearer.

And when we’re able to meet again, it will be for an even bigger party!

Until then, we sincerely wish the best for everyone caught up by this situation, and we pray for a speedy end to this difficult time. EVENTS CALENDAR
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 03-16-20, 08:46 PM
Slightspeed

Originally Posted by mgopack42
I got an email today from Eroica.CC, in Italian and English. here is the pertinent (English) part:

New Dates for April Events:
Eroica California, NOVA Eroica California,
and NOVA Eroica Buonconvento

This is a message to remind our dear Eroici that we are here, and that sometimes being heroic also means facing difficult moments and taking responsibility. This health emergency that we are experiencing obliges everyone to be aware and respect the common good, obviously putting public health and civic duty first over all other matters. Even more so in these moments of restrictions and difficulties, it is precisely the opportunities to gather in a joyful atmosphere that we miss most.

For the known reasons of force majeure we had to stop the organization of our April events, and it is with great sadness that we have decided to postpone Eroica California, NOVA Eroica California and NOVA Eroica Buonconvento until later in the year.

However, we want to underline that we are well aware of the difficulties of this situation and when we make a decision regarding their postponement, we will certainly decide everything taking into account all involved: the institutions, event organisers and, of course, you all.

The new dates of Eroica California and NOVA Eroica California will be communicated as soon as possible by our American friends in charge of these events.
The date of NOVA Eroica Buonconvento will be announced after April 3 and/or as soon as the picture of the health emergency is clearer.

And when we’re able to meet again, it will be for an even bigger party!

Until then, we sincerely wish the best for everyone caught up by this situation, and we pray for a speedy end to this difficult time. EVENTS CALENDAR
Thanks, I finally found mine in my Spam folder.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 03-18-20, 11:14 PM
mech986 

My email notification also ended up in my spam folder for some reason.

we’ll just have to wait till EC organizers give us new dates. If in the fall,wonder how that may affect attendance for another even just 6-7 months later.

In Italy, there’s a few positives from all this.

https://twitter.com/rexchapman/statu...115846149?s=21

Last edited by mech986; 03-19-20 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-19-20, 12:47 AM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 315 Posts
Still no notification. Oh, well.
Old 03-19-20, 03:39 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 104 Posts
In Italy, there’s a few positives from all this.

https://twitter.com/rexchapman/statu...115846149?s=21

That type of thing is happening all over, It is great to see for sure. It is sad to say but many cities of Europe are huge toilets with only the touristy spots cleaned up. I have no trouble believing how fast the disease spread over there.

Last edited by daviddavieboy; 03-19-20 at 03:41 AM. Reason: changed wording
Old 04-01-20, 07:53 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts
I'm thinking that in hindsight the Eroica CA cancellation may be a good thing. It' going to rain here on Sunday and it would have been miserable riding conditions.
Likes For keithdunlop:
Old 04-01-20, 10:44 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 269 Posts
Misery and rain makes it memorable!
Old 04-04-20, 01:09 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Almost ready for Cypress Mountain

I am almost ready for that beast...

28 -30 less than 1 to 1 ratio (more than? I always forget!).
TA 48/38/28 chain rings on the DA crank, with a new 14 - 30 Shimano freewheel. Lost a lot of top end but the purpose here is to ride UP, not walk up. A Peps can had to die to shim the BB tapers when the 119 axle didn't quite cut it. I hope it goes off in September!
​​​​​​

Last edited by mgopack42; 04-04-20 at 01:32 PM.
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 04-04-20, 03:00 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
I am almost ready for that beast...

​​​​​​
I'm surprised that derailleur will handle so much wrap.
And you're not ready YET -
Old 04-04-20, 05:02 PM
mech986 

As mentioned above, the weather in Cambria for Sunday’s ride would have been a challenge.

Well, maybe we lucked out with the Eroica California postponement in Cambria.

Weather Saturday today, 58* high, 47* overnight low, partly cloudy, so the NOVA riders probably would have had a great ride.

But rain forecast to start by 10pm Saturday and continuing to 90-100% by 6am Sunday, then throughout the day.

That would have been very challenging no matter which route, plus for all the rest stops.

I had decent clearance on my Italvega for 700C x 35 tires but probably would have a lot of mud and road debris to clear out every few miles. Not to mention trying to stay reasonably dry while wearing 2-3 layers. I would have hoped a lot of folks would have brought some rain gear just in case. I’m pretty sure a lot of people would still have rode but some of those concours level bikes would have stayed inside as would their riders.

The risk for accidents and falls would certainly have given many great pause. The slogs up Santa Rosa, Santa Rita and Kiler would have been doubly interesting. But the sound of the Santa Rita creek alongside the climb would have been fantastic.

Anyone riding and finishing would have been Eroica/Eroico in my book!

PS: rain Monday as well for anyone staying the next day.

I was in touch today with a friend in Cambria, they said the weather today was fine but Cambria is a ghost town due to no tourists or visitors. A few folks mentioned they would go individually but we haven’t seen any reports yet from them.

Here’s hoping everyone stays safe and reasonably dry. Also hoping that whenever a date for the reschedule or next year’s Eroica California is determined, we can go safely.

Regards,

Bartley Yee

La Habra, California, United States, Earth, Alpha Quadrant, United Federation of Planets, currently under planetary quarantine.

Last edited by mech986; 04-04-20 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-04-20, 05:37 PM
mgopack42 

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I'm surprised that derailleur will handle so much wrap.
And you're not ready YET -

Couldn't see what you attached. Oh, it will be fine as long as I don't use any of those silly cross over gears... too much chain in small-small, and not nearly enough in big-big! If I forget and go big-big, (I tend to get lazy after years of riding modern compact gearing), I will likely need SAG to get home. I have a few months to fettle it, and I have a Crane GS and a Suntour AR long cage on stand by if needed!

EDIT: I should never have looked at the pictures i took. now it will bother me that the "made in France" is "clocked" I need them to all line up! Must resist senseless changes for cosmetics... no one care how it looks!

EDIT #2 : Hey do you suppose I could Frankenstein the Crane cage onto the DA mech? HMMMM!

Last edited by mgopack42; 04-04-20 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-04-20, 10:24 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
Couldn't see what you attached.
les toe clips
Old 04-05-20, 12:45 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 104 Posts
Well, maybe we lucked out with the Eroica California postponement in Cambria.

Weather Saturday today, 58* high, 47* overnight low, partly cloudy, so the NOVA riders probably would have had a great ride.

But rain forecast to start by 10pm Saturday and continuing to 90-100% by 6am Sunday, then throughout the day

Anyone riding and finishing would have been Eroica/Eroico in my book!

PS: rain Monday as well for anyone staying the next day.
I was planning to still come until they closed the Canada/USA border but would not have ridden in the rain, even with the multi day drive to get there. It would have been great to meet new people and take in the indoor activities though. At least I will have the time til next year to mod a crank for a granny gear.
Likes For daviddavieboy:
Old 04-10-20, 03:46 PM
mech986 

New rescheduled dates announced!!

Per Eroica California’s Facebook page:

We are delighted to announce the new dates for the 2020 Eroica California, September 25-27, in beautiful, sunny Cambria and we look forward to greeting everyone for another Eroica weekend, with Nova on Saturday and Classic Sunday.

See you there!

#EroicaCalifornia
#VisitCambria

Hope we will be virus free for sure by then

Bart
Old 04-10-20, 04:57 PM
Kabuki12

Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
I am so looking forward to it. I hope the optimism is warranted. Fall is great on the central coast.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 04-15-20, 05:24 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts
I'm not 100% confident that Eroica CA will actually take place in September. In California we are now talking about banning mass gathering events for the balance of the year.
Old 04-15-20, 07:06 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 545 Posts
Oh, it will be fine as long as I don't use any of those silly cross over gears... too much chain in small-small, and not nearly enough in big-big! If I forget and go big-big, (I tend to get lazy after years of riding modern compact gearing), I will likely need SAG to get home. I have a few months to fettle it, and I have a Crane GS and a Suntour AR long cage on stand by if needed!
Man, I wouldn't take that chance, especially not with that nice looking Masi. At least I wouldn't trust myself to always remember which gear is one too many. I very much doubt you can swap a cage from a Crane RD, but here's an example of someone who transplanted a 6200 long cage onto a 7402 RD.

Facebook Post " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
Facebook Post " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post

Edit: For whatever reason the Facebook link isn't showing up above. (A forum policy?) If you do a Google search using the terms "Here's something you don't see everyday,... - Shimano STI long cage DA 7400 RD" you will hopefully be able to see the example.

Last edited by gaucho777; 04-15-20 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-15-20, 08:30 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by keithdunlop
I'm not 100% confident that Eroica CA will actually take place in September. In California we are now talking about banning mass gathering events for the balance of the year.
I'm here in California as well, and I sincerely doubt any large events will happen either. The state will relax quarantine for regular desk jobs surely before the end of the year, but I can't imagine they'd start allowing events where close contact with hundreds of people is unavoidable. Not before antibody testing is happening in the millions.

Not to mention that the demographics (old/male) for Eroica could mean that a breakout would be devastating if a carrier attended.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.