Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do I need a special tool to removing a crank arm from a Shimano FC-9100P power-meter

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do I need a special tool to removing a crank arm from a Shimano FC-9100P power-meter

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-20, 06:38 PM
JoeO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Do I need a special tool to remove a crank arm from a Shimano FC-9100P power-meter

I just got a new bike with a Shimano FC-9100 P crank. It's the one with their power meter. I was about to remove the crank and put on a different chainring -- something I've done many times before with DA 9000 and 9100 cranks -- when I noticed that it's quite different from my another FC-9100 that I own (one without power). Apparently there is a new, special Shimano tool involved in installing the thing called the "TL-FC40 Crank Arm Tool" Universal Cycles -- Shimano TL-FC40 Dura Ace Power Meter Crank Tool [YEZY00017]

Even after reading the Shimano Dealer's manual it's still not clear to me: Do I need this tool to just take the crank arm off/put it back on? Or is that just something that's used for one-time power-meter installation? I don't want to try to force anything if I need the tool

(Normally I'm used to just undoing the bolts and sliding the crank arm off but I'm not sure if that will work here.)

Last edited by JoeO; 12-01-20 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Type in the title
Old 12-01-20, 07:30 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
  • When using the Shimano original tool, make sure that the electric wire of the connector is not pinched
Is this to remove the tensioning bolt?

If so, the above makes it sound like you don't need the tool, but it may make it easier to avoid mangling the wire.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 12-01-20, 09:16 PM
JoeO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Finally just said, the hell with it and monkeyed around with it Turns out my bike shop had given the me the tool (didn't realize that, almost bought one). Apparently the tool -- along with the spider-ring that it removes -- is basically the new version of the previous crank pre-tensioning cap on many, many previous DA/Ultegra/105 cranks.. It's just that in the 9100P, it is now more internal, hidden under a little aero--cap that you basically pry off.. So you 1. pry off the little aero cap, 2. unplug the power-meter wire, then 3. Hold the wire out of the way while you use the tool to unscrew the little plastic pre-tensioning spider. After that it's business as usual.
Likes For JoeO: