Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wool Bib Shorts With Real Leather Chamois

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wool Bib Shorts With Real Leather Chamois

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-21, 02:19 PM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Team Dream Team made these a while ago. None in stock for the moment. "Merino Wool w/ Buckskin Leather Chamois."

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwCdrSDA..._web_copy_link
Old 01-31-21, 05:56 PM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 1,869 Times in 1,065 Posts
I have a pair of the Ibex merino bibs.

I *like* them.

Like, not love.

They are comfy enough, but nowhere near modern standards. These fit snug, but are not supportive. I use them for cool weather, and trainer only.

That said, I do wish they still made them

For less money, you can get something far better.
Check out black bibs for huge bang for the buck bibs. Once you go modern, you won't go back.
Likes For Rocket-Sauce:
Old 02-02-21, 01:19 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by blinky
Many years ago I bought a pair of wool bib shorts with a real leather chamois , probably from Bike Nashbar , this was probably 40 years ago , yes I'm a senior rider , are they i.e. Bike Nashbar still around - these shorts were great and I was wondering if they are still sold by some company - what say all of you ?
Man, I sure hope not. <shudder>

I rode those for years along with cleats you nailed onto the shoe to lock you into toe clips. I’m glad both of those are gone and I hope they never come back.
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 05-09-21, 01:10 PM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Modern wool is better than the coarse fabric of yesteryear, lycra works well, and chamois leather had it's limitations,

but the idea that modern foam rubber- based chamois pads breathe well is a joke. Convenient, and what's available, but sweaty, and funk-prone, why is this the standard? Same with shoes: leather= breathable, comfortable; fabric/foam sandwich i.e. running shoes= hot, sweaty, cheap, available.

I wear wool shorts (Ibex- no longer available) quite a bit- good for cooler & mixed conditions. I also have Ibex knickers which are great for winter and well used for years.

When the company was folding, I bought a back up pair which were still in their plastic bag until recently. The main pair were in the wash, so I got out & used the new ones for one ride.

After, I spent some minutes trying to tell which was new & which was well-used and years old, & finally could only tell because the printing on the laundry tag was worn on one!

Haven't used these, but am impressed with a couple of other Nalini things:
https://nalini.cc/collections/nalini...ing-bib-shorts

Aero tech had shorts with a thin fabric pad with no foam, but sadly that seems to be lo longer offered.
I went out to the Nalini website and they have a wool bib short with what appears to be a chamois crotch pad - the price isn't as much as I thought and will order a pair - I like a thin pad and still have a pair of Pearlizumi's with lycra & synthetic pad that is flattened out - thanks for posting the link !!

Last edited by blinky; 05-09-21 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-10-21, 07:27 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
[QUOTE=merlinextraligh;21841421
As to the shorts, for the love of all that is holy, WHY? Wool shorts with real chamois were ok in 1970 when that is all we had had. Lycra and a good synthetic pad is better by several orders of magnitude.
[/QUOTE]

What he said. Unless, of course, you want them to go with your hair net helmet.
Old 03-24-22, 12:09 AM
FML123

Bikes: 2018 Focus Mares CX 105 // 1984(?) Guerciotti GLX 7600 Super Record // 2021 Giant Stance 27.5” // 2022 Poseidon Redwood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Many years ago I bought a pair of wool bib shorts with a real leather chamois , probably from Bike Nashbar , this was probably 40 years ago , yes I'm a senior rider , are they i.e. Bike Nashbar still around - these shorts were great and I was wondering if they are still sold by some company - what say all of you ?
There’s a company in Serbia, 2Velo.com, that sells on eBay. I just received a pair of merino wool shorts (not bib shorts) with a suede chamois for about US$65 + $30 for shipping. Not genuine Molteni - unmarked. Took 3 weeks to arrive in California, but I love them! Going to wear them for Eroica California in May.
https://2velo.com/product/vintage-st...ycling-shorts/

Last edited by FML123; 03-24-22 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-24-22, 12:11 AM
FML123

Bikes: 2018 Focus Mares CX 105 // 1984(?) Guerciotti GLX 7600 Super Record // 2021 Giant Stance 27.5” // 2022 Poseidon Redwood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
"Nashbar" still exists, but it's really not the company Arni Nashbar started. That company closed in 2018. Amain Sports bought the name, as they had with other defunct bike companies such as Performance, and use the Nashbar name for their web based business.

So "Nashbar" exists about the same way that "Schwinn" exists.

As to the shorts, for the love of all that is holy, WHY? Wool shorts with real chamois were ok in 1970 when that is all we had had. Lycra and a good synthetic pad is better by several orders of magnitude.
Oh, how I miss Palo Alto Bike Shop and Avocet… 😢
Old 03-24-22, 12:38 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Have you looked for Nashbar online? Yes they exist.
Old 03-24-22, 12:41 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Modern wool is better than the coarse fabric of yesteryear, lycra works well, and chamois leather had it's limitations,

but the idea that modern foam rubber- based chamois pads breathe well is a joke. Convenient, and what's available, but sweaty, and funk-prone, why is this the standard? Same with shoes: leather= breathable, comfortable; fabric/foam sandwich i.e. running shoes= hot, sweaty, cheap, available.

I wear wool shorts (Ibex- no longer available) quite a bit- good for cooler & mixed conditions. I also have Ibex knickers which are great for winter and well used for years.
You and I live in different realities, I guess.
Old 03-24-22, 12:01 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by FML123
Oh, how I miss Palo Alto Bike Shop and Avocet… 😢
I had two bikes (racing and touring) that had Avocet saddles. Most comfortable saddles I had ever used.
I actually have a pair of Kucharik shorts (lycra, not wool, although I used to have -and loved- their Merino wool) with a genuine chamois pad. I still think chamois is more comfortable than the synthetic pads. Some of those make me feel like I'm wearing a diaper. I also have a pair of Kucharik bib shorts that have the "privacy flap" in them that make rest room stops a lot easier.
Sadly, Kucharik closed at the start of 2022. They still sell, but only what they have left in stock.
Old 03-25-22, 01:43 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I have two pair of bike shorts that were made in Italy and I used them for more than 20 years. Wool is naturally wicking and is only smelly if never washed or the rider goes commando (and does not mind saddle sores from the buildup of bacteria). I first started lycra dive skins and any diver knows how quickly these start to stink. I need to use liquid soap with bactericide for the lycra skins.

With bib shorts there is no consistency of sizing and the manufacturers have no idea of how a person's height related to the distance from their waist to their shoulders and have the straps the correct length. They try to compensate by having elastic straps but that does not work at all well. Most are not sized to accommodate the larger legs of a cyclist and the makers talk about how good the compression is which is side stepping the problem of the pants sizing.

I have found no correlation between where the bib shorts are made or the price and the fit. I was successful with one pair of Baleaf bib tights but the fit was completely different for their bib shorts. They need to be making the straps adjustable and not rely 100% on using elastic material as they all are now doing.
Old 03-25-22, 07:08 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Thanks for the honest answer and I agree , I'll retract the question - let me ask a question though , what brand would you recommend for a good high end bib short - I've got a pair of Pearls and they're a large but run very tight and so I'm looking for a better alternative .
Specialized makes excellent bibshorts.
Old 03-25-22, 09:55 PM
Chrisyang

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Yes there are few companies now produce real wool bib shorts. Most of their pads are made of memory foam.
Old 03-25-22, 09:57 PM
Chrisyang

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Nobody can answer that for you. There's no alternative to at least trying them on or better yet, riding with them. Some like a minimal pad, some like more substantial. The shape of the pad, regardless of thickness, can affect comfort greatly. I like a fairly thin pad, that's fairly small. The same thickness of pad with a different shape can be uncomfortable to me. Then there's the fit of the bibs themselves. Some companies are extra tight, some more relaxed. With the tight ones, sometimes you can be happy going a size larger. Sometimes going a size larger makes the tightness OK, but the length too long.

All this is to say: Either find some locally to try or order several from a mail order with a good return policy. When I have to try to figure out a new pair, I will often order 6 pair: three different brands in a medium and large each, figure what works, return the rest. If shipping is free both ways, it's a no brainer, Even if you have to pay return shipping, it's not a big deal - you can fit quite a bit into a medium or large flat rate USPS box.

When you find some you really like, buy a couple more.
That really helps.
Old 03-26-22, 12:47 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
I used Protogs and Vigorelli shorts with leather chamois and never had issues with chaffing or the chamois drying out. The Protogs were wool and lasted 6 years, the Vgorelli shorts were lycra and lasted 6 years, but I kept them in service for indoor training days for an additional 5 years.

Currently I use Boure' shorts with a synthetic chamois that mimics the thinness of the leather chamois. The first set of Boure' were bibs and I still have them and use when my other Boure's shorts are in the wash. Those bibs are from 1998! Yep, worn thin, but still serviceable. I also have Pearl Izumi pro shorts and Sugoi top shelf shorts. Both these have thick padding, but are not to my liking. I only use them if both Boure' are not available.

Kurcharik has wool shorts with leather chamois available. In the near future I will order a set to give them a try.

Some of us just have a durable arse.