Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hey...no kickstand

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hey...no kickstand

Old 01-05-21, 04:00 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
it would be a shame to ruin a perfectly good road bike like that with a janky, bouncy, heavy kickstand. might as well put a flower basket and a banana seat on it. it was never meant to be used with a kickstand. I'll be a standard one would crush the chainstays. ask the manufacturer what they recommend if you really, really want to do that.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 01-05-21, 04:25 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,298 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
it would be a shame to ruin a perfectly good road bike like that with a janky, bouncy, heavy kickstand. might as well put a flower basket and a banana seat on it. it was never meant to be used with a kickstand. I'll be a standard one would crush the chainstays. ask the manufacturer what they recommend if you really, really want to do that.
Yep. Look at what happened with Surly. People were crushing frames, and those are not delicate bikes. Then when Surly blogged about it some people called the company an Anti-kickstandite.
Old 01-05-21, 04:47 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I stopped at the store on my way back the other day and the young lady from the deli was having a cig break. I asked her if she would hold onto my bike for a minute and the moment she grabbed it, I walked off (to get away from the smoke more than anything). She was still holding it up when I came back even though she's finished her cig. So yeah, who needs a kickstand when you got people.
Old 01-05-21, 05:40 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You make big fires.
Funny- I was thinking “That’s about an hour’s worth of wood at most.”
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 01-05-21, 05:46 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
I stopped at the store on my way back the other day and the young lady from the deli was having a cig break. I asked her if she would hold onto my bike for a minute and the moment she grabbed it, I walked off (to get away from the smoke more than anything). She was still holding it up when I came back even though she's finished her cig. So yeah, who needs a kickstand when you got people.
Smokers are good bike holders, as they want nothing to do with aerobic exercise, and if one absconds with your bike, well, they won’t get far...

I keep my bikes upright by pedaling them. Between rides they get hung on the garage wall with the other bikes.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 01-05-21, 06:03 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Just gotta be careful where you lean it. I was on a group ride when someone leaned their bike up against a brick pillar. The wind blew the front wheel and turned it ever so slightly, making the wheel roll and the top tube slide down the bricks as the bike fell. Put a bunch of scrapes & scratches into it.
I figured out ways to lean my bikes with reasonably good success, it's second nature now. I try to lean it where the wheels can't be pushed around, still don't always succeed. I also carry a cable lockin my seat bag and if I'm really in doubt I find something to lock it to.
Old 01-05-21, 07:20 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
I keep at least one Velcro strap on the stem and can use it to temporarily clamp a brake lever. Bikes are way more stable to lean with a wheel locked.

Otto
Old 01-05-21, 07:33 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Funny- I was thinking “That’s about an hour’s worth of wood at most.”
Maybe the photo is deceiving. There were only about 7-8 pieces in each bundle. I rode about a mile with them, and they were secured with only medium bungees and compression straps. Fires were nice on chilly Easter weekend nights. Cape Henlopen State Park in DE. Neat place. Repurposed military base that was originally created to guard the Delaware Bay from Nazi invasion. It was later donated to the state and transformed into the park.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-06-21, 07:36 AM
sloppy12

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
I am all about a wald basket. and I have totally had flowers in one a few times.
Old 01-06-21, 08:00 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
I think typically if the bike is designed to have a kickstand, there is a little gusset welded in there between the chainstays to beef up the area.
Old 01-06-21, 08:23 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I think typically if the bike is designed to have a kickstand, there is a little gusset welded in there between the chainstays to beef up the area.
Neither of my 2 bikes have that.
Old 01-06-21, 08:58 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Neither of my 2 bikes have that.
Hmmmm, it could go either way then...
Old 01-06-21, 09:08 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Dhos1
Just checked this. No this isn't a joke. I realize I could buy one, but there is a reason they don't come with them so I was curious as to what everyone is using. And I understand if you are on a long ride with no kickstand, then you can lay it down or against a tree or whatever is soft. I mean more like for storage in the garage. This is my fault for phrasing the question poorly. I was never owned a bike without a kickstand...then see other people riding and they have none. So that begged the question what are you holding you prized possession up with. You are damn sure not laying it down in the garage.
No you don’t lay it down in the garage. You hang it from a hook.

Untitled by Stuart Black, on FlickrUntitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

If you don’t want to hang them, you can buy (or make) a wheel holder but hanging them has a smaller foot print. I have 11 bikes hanging on that wall and can still park a car in there.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-06-21, 09:19 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Maybe the photo is deceiving. There were only about 7-8 pieces in each bundle. I rode about a mile with them, and they were secured with only medium bungees and compression straps. Fires were nice on chilly Easter weekend nights. Cape Henlopen State Park in DE. Neat place. Repurposed military base that was originally created to guard the Delaware Bay from Nazi invasion. It was later donated to the state and transformed into the park.
Just to be clear, I yankin’ your chain. I don’t really make fires all that often whether when camping with a car, backpacking, or bicycle touring. The main reason is that I don’t want to deal with putting a fire out at night before I go to bed nor do I want to deal with making sure I have put out a fire when I leave a campsite in the morning. Many fires have started here in the west due to unattended campfires. I often have barely enough water for me and I don’t want to spare any for a fire.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-06-21, 09:30 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Bike snobs don't like kickstands, except for maybe on dedicated touring or city bikes.

They are not too expensive, though. As mentioned above, be careful if getting one that clamps on a frame tube - it can damage a lightweight frame. If the dropouts on the frame are flat you can get one that is held in place by the rear axle. This can be a bit of a nuisance on a QR wheel but it definitely won't damage the frame.
I built what can best be described as a "city" bike out of an old Centurion Lemans last summer. I left the kickstand on and have since added a basket; then again, this bike violates many norms.

I will admit, with a 4lb sack of sugar and 6 pack of beer in the basket, the steering gets a little sketchy!

Old 01-06-21, 09:30 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Dhos1
Just checked this. No this isn't a joke. I realize I could buy one, but there is a reason they don't come with them so I was curious as to what everyone is using. And I understand if you are on a long ride with no kickstand, then you can lay it down or against a tree or whatever is soft. I mean more like for storage in the garage. This is my fault for phrasing the question poorly. I was never owned a bike without a kickstand...then see other people riding and they have none. So that begged the question what are you holding you prized possession up with. You are damn sure not laying it down in the garage.
Yeah, don't put a kickstand on that! Simplest thing to do might be to get a couple of these - do a search for bike trainer wheel riser
For in the garage/outside parking so stuff doesn't fall over, we have a small rack like THIS

Or for check out this list for larger-scale ideas: https://bicycletouringpro.com/bike-racks-for-garage/
Old 01-06-21, 06:19 PM
niswanger

Bikes: About 5, maybe 6?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I used a rear chainstay kick stand. I can't "stand" to lay my bike on the ground or against things.
Old 01-10-21, 04:33 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
Hey now!!! The OP evidently wants a doohickey that keeps his ride vertical when stationary. The "lean it against something" and the "buy a heavy metal bolt-on" options were obvious, and I'm disappointed in those who could think of nothing better.

My lightweight, high tech suggestion is the Click Stand. I use it when I'm touring, but not when doing the regular riding I do. For regular rides I just lean it against something. I'm not affiliated with Click Stand. I just like the product.
Click-Stand Home Page
I have “Click-Stands” on a couple of my bikes. They only do two things: 1) keeps the front wheel aligned with frame and 2) keeps the front wheel from turning! You still have to lean the bike against something .
Old 01-10-21, 05:42 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I have bikes with no kickstands. Also have a couple with kickstands

Just put this one on my ebike. Works fantastic

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In case you haven't notice kickstands are an admission of a limp dick on this site.

BUT I have an ebike so no respect here to begin with....
Old 01-10-21, 06:00 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
In case you haven't notice kickstands are an admission of a limp dick on this site.
My wife's bike has a kickstand while mine doesn't and she has no complaints

Her's also has a spoke protector and valve caps that indicate the tire pressure... and a handle bar bag... and a ultra wide padded Cloud 9 "seat".

Last edited by GlennR; 01-10-21 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-10-21, 06:03 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Oh, to have a garage.

My more frequently used commuter/tourer leans against a wall in my house. My road bike can be stored on a floor to ceiling mount that accommodates two bikes.

A friend has hooks screwed into the ceiling of her garage to hang her bikes upside down by the wheels.
The moral protestations about kickstands are just one of the amusing quirks of cycling culture -- an antidote lest we ever take ourselves too seriously.

I remember when I was in middle school, one day the message came from somewhere, that we had to strip our bikes of every single attachment. Off came our fenders, baskets, kickstands, and so forth. Attachments were suddenly anathema. Some kid would try to remove the built-in Schwinn kickstand, and end up either injuring themselves or being left with a stand that was still attached but had to be held up by a piece of string. Ah, the days of my youth.

Oddly enough, the garage is the place where kick stands seem to be the most useful. There are enough bikes with kickstands that the ones without can be kept out of the way, held up by stands that I made out of plywood. Outside of the house, one can always find a wall, tree, mud pit, grassy knoll, or stonework cistern out in the middle of nowhere. Or, you can also declare that your bike would never be left by itself for more than 50 seconds, thus obviating the need for parking it.
Old 01-10-21, 07:45 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by sovende
I have “Click-Stands” on a couple of my bikes. They only do two things: 1) keeps the front wheel aligned with frame and 2) keeps the front wheel from turning! You still have to lean the bike against something .
Apparently, you're doing something different from what I do. The included bungees allow me to set the brakes, front and rear, and the Click Stand staff holds the bike at near vertical. Nothing else is needed. Works every time, even when the bike is loaded with a single wheel trailer attached, no problem at all.

Edit: I think we're talking about two different products. The Click Stand I use does not affect the front wheel except to keep it from rolling.

Last edited by DeadGrandpa; 01-10-21 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-10-21, 08:19 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
There was a product called a Flick Stand, which was a little wire leg that would stabilize the front wheel, and would fold out of the way when not in use. I still have the one that I got for my first decent bike in the early 80s. Just locking the front wheel was enough to keep a bike from going caddywampus when leaned against something. It was handy.
Old 01-10-21, 08:44 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
The moral protestations about kickstands are just one of the amusing quirks of cycling culture -- an antidote lest we ever take ourselves too seriously.

I remember when I was in middle school, one day the message came from somewhere, that we had to strip our bikes of every single attachment. Off came our fenders, baskets, kickstands, and so forth. Attachments were suddenly anathema. Some kid would try to remove the built-in Schwinn kickstand, and end up either injuring themselves or being left with a stand that was still attached but had to be held up by a piece of string. Ah, the days of my youth.

Oddly enough, the garage is the place where kick stands seem to be the most useful. There are enough bikes with kickstands that the ones without can be kept out of the way, held up by stands that I made out of plywood. Outside of the house, one can always find a wall, tree, mud pit, grassy knoll, or stonework cistern out in the middle of nowhere. Or, you can also declare that your bike would never be left by itself for more than 50 seconds, thus obviating the need for parking it.
I tour with camping. I’d be pretty tired if I didn’t leave my bike alone for more than 50 seconds. Picnic tables, trees and even the ground work fine, and I don’t have to tote them every day. And I certainly don’t want or need one on the custom ti road bike. I couldn’t care less what others do.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-11-21, 06:36 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You make big fires.
Small fire is Ranger policy.

Likes For Phil_gretz:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.