Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Road Test/Bike Review (1986) ECLIPSE Carbon 7

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-08-21, 01:31 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 994 Posts

Here's some extra information I found in a cycling forum thread from 2014 that adds some interesting information.
The writer claimed to be the last dealer to receive a Carbon 7 frame.

"The frame was made by TVT of France.
A 7-layer TVT carbon/kevlar tubes bonded to Vitus 979 aluminum lugs
included was Fork Vitus Aluminum 979 or for an additional $600 (1200 retail) a matching carbon fork. Frame was $750 (1500 retail) wholesale. It was the most responsive frame I ever owned.

The bike was also sold as the Look Carbon which is the one Greg Lemond road to win the TDF. The sole difference in these frames were the decals placed on them by Look or Eclipse. Whether Look or Eclipse, the frame was the top Carbon, thus, hard to find and sold for list.

The challenge was the adhesive at the lugs or the tubes at the lugs. Over time the epoxy would break down and the frame would lose integrity. Sometimes stress fractures would appear in the carbon, thus, its life was over. Mine showed some discoloration at the end of the carbon as it goes to the lugs. Possibly, oxidation? Rode the frame from 86' to 2011. Very light and stiff. Twitchy like a high end sports car or Ducati. If you can handle it, it can do amazing things. Alternatively, one second in control and the next not. It was above me and I was a solid Cat 3.

Not sure I would buy and old Eclipse or old carbon given structural aging and no real gain in weight over newer steel frames which sell cheap after a couple years. Was offered 3k a couple months back because the guy knew Lemond. It was my baby, built piece by piece and later appeared as the centerfold "dream cycle" in Bicycle magazine. Could not part with it."
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 01-08-21, 08:04 PM
dolbydj 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you for the post! I was in France a few times over the last couple of years and now look for TVT's and Looks on Leboincoin. I have been a big fan of these since the mid - 80's and have 3 modern carbon and 2 Giant Cadex's that are actually the newest purchases. I always loved the aesthetic of the lugged carbon and am a member of a few retro groups. The Cadex's are about 5-7 years newer in design and manufacture with a similar bonded carbon frame. So far, a black flat bar Dura Ace for daily commutes and a purple one for Sundays. I will look out for an Eclipse now. Lol!

Thanks,
Frankie
Old 04-22-21, 05:14 PM
BearEng

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carbon 7 Bike

I inherited my brother's Carbon 7 bike that is small for me. What would be a good price to sell this bike?

​​​​​​<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->

Make: TVT Carbon 7 TVT 081285097 52.7 cm Shifters: DA HP-7400 Shimano DA FC-7400 Shimano 54/42 Shimano DA RD-7400 Shimano DA BR-7400 Shimano DA M5 Front Fork:<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->Vitus 979 Alum Rims: Aero Max Hubs:<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->Vuelta, Pedals: Campanolo.

I will send photos if interested.
Old 04-22-21, 08:36 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 994 Posts
Welcome.
Typically you'll have to post 10 times before you can upload photos. You have 9 to go. Just explore the various sub-forums, ask questions, or make replies.
Even something as short as "I agree" is sufficient, so it won't take you an hour.
Then post your "What's it Worth?" request in the sub-forum specific for that type of post: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...th-appraisals/
We're eager to see your inheritance!
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.