Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Carbon wheels on a gravel bike worth it?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Carbon wheels on a gravel bike worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-21, 06:03 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
SwampGrinder you should take a look at Spinergy wheels, which use unique, fiber spokes rather than metal. They’re claimed to damp vibrations better than conventional wheels, and you can get them in either carbon fiber or aluminum rims.
I'm looking at the Spinergy wheels right now for my new Warbird. They check all the boxes and are priced right.
Old 02-08-21, 07:02 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdslw
I'm looking at the Spinergy wheels right now for my new Warbird. They check all the boxes and are priced right.
I agree. I have a pair of GX for my new T-Lab, but the build isn’t complete and I haven’t ridden them yet. Hopefully the drivetrain arrives this week, which would allow me to get out and give the wheels a roll.

Foolishly, I didn’t do any custom spoke color; a spoke or two in purple would have looked cool.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 02-10-21, 08:30 AM
dvdslw

I have a pair of GX for my new T-Lab, but the build isn’t complete and I haven’t ridden them yet. Hopefully the drivetrain arrives this week, which would allow me to get out and give the wheels a roll.
Let me know when you finally get a chance to give some feedback on those wheels. I was quoted a 10-14 day build/delivery time on my GX's. I have some reservations about the spokes but for cost, spec, and lightweight, I couldn't pass them up.
Old 02-10-21, 09:28 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Let me know when you finally get a chance to give some feedback on those wheels. I was quoted a 10-14 day build/delivery time on my GX's. I have some reservations about the spokes but for cost, spec, and lightweight, I couldn't pass them up.
Bummer, but will-do. 2 weeks’ll fly by, mate, so no worries!

These are my first Spinergy, too, but I’ve known about them for years, so while it’s new tech to me, I’m comforted knowing it’s not really new tech, and seems to have been working for years. That I got my cycling chops during the MTB golden era in the late ‘80s/early ‘90s, when innovation was everything, has fixed in me the notion that the roadie community is always slow to embrace new and different stuff, so I’m not surprised that Spinergy is not well known. In other words, it’s a familiar narrative to me, and I actually think it’s cool that Spinergy are fringe dwellers!
Likes For chaadster:
Old 02-10-21, 09:42 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
"Strong, light, cheap: pick two."

-- Keith Bontrager

Nothing will end your ride quite as surely as a broken wheel.
Old 02-10-21, 09:51 AM
dvdslw

Originally Posted by Koyote
"Strong, light, cheap: pick two."

-- Keith Bontrager

Nothing will end your ride quite as surely as a broken wheel.
Party Pooper!!!
Old 02-10-21, 10:42 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

The meaning of cheap is often misunderstood.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 02-11-21, 11:05 AM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
carbon wheel is super nice until you get a bad pitch flat
Old 02-11-21, 02:15 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
carbon wheel is super nice until you get a bad pitch flat
The reason is not obvious to me - please explain.
Old 02-17-21, 06:28 AM
dvdslw

Change of plans for me, I ordered the Spinergy GX wheelset last week but their build time was longer than expected so of course I got impatient and cancelled the order. After digging around online yesterday I stumbled across a bunch of reviews for the new Zipp 303S wheelset and ended up ordering a set. I wasn't really in the market for carbon wheels but at full msrp they are priced right, I had a 15% off coupon, Zipp offers a lifetime warranty, and a 50% off crash replacement plan for the life of the wheels. Spec's are 1,530 grams (set), come setup tubeless with stems and tape included, xdr driver, 45mm deep, 23mm int width, and new stealthy Zipp decals. Can't wait!

Last edited by dvdslw; 02-17-21 at 06:33 AM.
Likes For dvdslw:
Old 02-17-21, 07:32 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Change of plans for me, I ordered the Spinergy GX wheelset last week but their build time was longer than expected so of course I got impatient and cancelled the order. After digging around online yesterday I stumbled across a bunch of reviews for the new Zipp 303S wheelset and ended up ordering a set. I wasn't really in the market for carbon wheels but at full msrp they are priced right, I had a 15% off coupon, Zipp offers a lifetime warranty, and a 50% off crash replacement plan for the life of the wheels. Spec's are 1,530 grams (set), come setup tubeless with stems and tape included, xdr driver, 45mm deep, 23mm int width, and new stealthy Zipp decals. Can't wait!
Deep! Nice! Gettin’ aero bennies of CF is where CF makes sense, because you can go deep and stay light.

Great grab!
Old 02-17-21, 04:49 PM
dvdslw

Deep! Nice! Gettin’ aero bennies of CF is where CF makes sense, because you can go deep and stay light.

Great grab!
Thanks, I've always wanted a set of Zipps and this was the right time and right price for me to do it. Will I see Aero benefits? Who really knows? They say the wheels are optimized for a 28mm road tire and I see swapping in a set of Pro One's every so often for the longer asphalt rides. Cost, weight, warranty, and reviews sold me on these. I hope they live up to the hype!
Old 02-17-21, 05:50 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Thanks, I've always wanted a set of Zipps and this was the right time and right price for me to do it. Will I see Aero benefits? Who really knows? They say the wheels are optimized for a 28mm road tire and I see swapping in a set of Pro One's every so often for the longer asphalt rides. Cost, weight, warranty, and reviews sold me on these. I hope they live up to the hype!
For sure! Zipp are primo; I’ve never had any either, but hope to some day!
Likes For chaadster:
Old 02-18-21, 08:54 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Nice! I've been eyeing up that same set for a while and would love to hear some reviews after you've got some miles on them. They look great.
My understanding is that you won't see much in terms of aero benefits with gravel/cx tire sizes, but this is the case with pretty much any carbon wheel.

Congrats on the purchase.
Old 02-18-21, 12:54 PM
dvdslw

Originally Posted by msu2001la
Nice! I've been eyeing up that same set for a while and would love to hear some reviews after you've got some miles on them. They look great.
My understanding is that you won't see much in terms of aero benefits with gravel/cx tire sizes, but this is the case with pretty much any carbon wheel.
Congrats on the purchase.
Thanks, and I'll be sure to keep you guys updated. I have high hopes for them and really want to throw some 28mm road tires on them to see what my bike is capable of on the tarmac. I took it out on a 52mi ride yesterday and while the bike felt great and had a smooth ride, I could feel the sluggish weight of those stock WTB i23 wheels and low end 42mm tires.
Old 02-18-21, 07:00 PM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
Thanks, and I'll be sure to keep you guys updated. I have high hopes for them and really want to throw some 28mm road tires on them to see what my bike is capable of on the tarmac. I took it out on a 52mi ride yesterday and while the bike felt great and had a smooth ride, I could feel the sluggish weight of those stock WTB i23 wheels and low end 42mm tires.
I feel that sluggishness of my stock i23 wheels too and am looking forward to getting my carbon 650b set, hopefully shipping next week.
Likes For franswa:
Old 02-19-21, 03:20 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Don’t know about Carbon Wheels on a Gravel Bike, but I love Car Wheels on a Gravel Road.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 02-19-21, 03:53 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Don’t know about Carbon Wheels on a Gravel Bike, but I love Car Wheels on a Gravel Road.
Great album! I saw her on that tour… At a club in Denver. I think they had booked it before the album blew up and was nominated for a Grammy. Great show.
Old 02-20-21, 11:18 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by tdilf
The reason is not obvious to me - please explain.

I'm guessing that he is referring to the possibility of damaging the hook bead edge of the rim from bottoming out on a rock, etc..

What might dent aluminum in that case could fracture CF & make the wheel less rideable.
Old 02-23-21, 12:26 AM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I'm guessing that he is referring to the possibility of damaging the hook bead edge of the rim from bottoming out on a rock, etc..

What might dent aluminum in that case could fracture CF & make the wheel less rideable.
indeed, cracked a zipp 303 firecrest from a pothole pitch flat, and that was rim brake version with much thicker sidewall, disc version will be even more fragile
Old 02-24-21, 06:28 AM
dvdslw

Just a partial follow up on my Zipp's, only the rear has arrived so far which is disappointing but I understand that FedEx is having problems right now due to the winter weather that rolled through the country last week. I also found out that FedEx is prioritizing Covid19 vaccines over regular and priority mail so until they get caught up with that all of our parcels sit in either their Memphis or Indy hubs. Bummer!!!

Anyway, I did get the rear wheel and it came with the tubeless tape already installed so I just had to install the included 60mm tubeless valve and mount the tire. I haven't decided on which size or brand gravel tire I want to use permanently but as of now I'm thinking about the Challenge Gravel Grinder pro tlr's as a go to for versatility on and off road plus they are some of the lightest 42mm tires out there that actually have a protection belt @ 408g per tire. I did mount up one of the Travail Cannonball (protection) tires that came stock on my Warbird to see how that performs for now until I decide on a new set. They are 42mm wide and 540g ea.

Weight difference is huge, on the scale my new setup weighs 1,792g for the Zipp 303s wheel, XX1 10-42 cassette, valve, tape, trp 160mm rotor, tire, and sealant.

The old setup weighed 2,535g for the WTB 123 wheel, Sram PG1130 10-42 cassette, trp 160mm rotor, tube, same tire.

That's 1.6lbs of rotational weight just in the back so far!

I still have yet to ride it with the new wheel, I'm hoping the front will finally show up soon and I will post some ride impressions and pics as well.
Old 02-24-21, 01:28 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Hot damn, dvdslw ! Knocking off over 1.5lbs on wheels gotta feel good!
Old 02-25-21, 06:13 AM
dvdslw

Hot damn, dvdslw ! Knocking off over 1.5lbs on wheels gotta feel good!
Feels Good is an understatement, the front wheel showed up yesterday and after getting it mounted up I went for a quick spin around the hood and all I can say is Holy S***, what a difference!!! These wheels have completely changed the bike. All said and done after adding 100oz of sealant to each tire for the 1st time tubeless setup the total weight lost was 2.25lbs. I plan to get a new set of tires like the 42mm Challenge Gravel Grinder's that will shave another 1/2 pound compared to these Travail Cannonballs I have on there now but to be honest, if the bike feels as good as I think its going to feel out in the hills today I might just wear these tires out and not worry about them for now. I just so happen to be off work today and its going to be a nice sunny day in the mid 80's here in Central Florida so I'm headed out to ride. I'll let you know how it goes and probably start a new thread later on with my post ride impressions and average Joe review of the Zipps.
Old 02-25-21, 08:19 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of weight that has been dropped. Nicely done. The downside of course is that you've committed yourself to riding fancy wheels forever, because after this stock wheels will feel like absolute garbage!

What kind of tires are you running?
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 02-25-21, 12:56 PM
dvdslw

Originally Posted by msu2001la
Wow, that's a lot of weight that has been dropped. Nicely done. The downside of course is that you've committed yourself to riding fancy wheels forever, because after this stock wheels will feel like absolute garbage!

What kind of tires are you running?
Bike came with a set of 42mm Travail Cannonballs (protection model) that weigh 540g ea installed. I ditched the tubes and put them on the Zipps tubeless. Just got home from a 30 mile shakedown ride and the bike felt great. So much easier to get up to speed and they upped the compliance a bit too. I took it down a brick road that I went down last week with the other wheels and it was immediately apparent that there was some added comfort with the new wheels as well. Very happy with my purchase so far!
Likes For dvdslw:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.