Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A very informative discussion of CF as a bike material.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

A very informative discussion of CF as a bike material.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-21, 04:06 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by facorsig
I have a degree in materials engineering and a Professional Engineering license in metallurgical engineering. For what it's worth, my road and gravel bikes are titanium frames. There is confusion between stiffness (modulus) and yield or tensile strength. At the end of the day, you ride what you prefer, not something to impress other people.

Fred
The nice thing then about carbon is that when you tap it, it doesn't ring, it just goes Thunk. Doesn't matter what you tap it with, just Thunk.
Old 02-22-21, 04:09 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
What makes the different grades of CF different? And, does it get down to the point where a "lower" level of CF frame is less desirable than say a good AL frame? From a materials science perspective.
Good question. It's not just the grades but also how shonkily they're planning on building it.

I heard an interview with the guy who makes Starling MTBs (fillet brazed steel in his shed) and his day job is an aerospace engineer. He said most bike grade CF was over-specified because it's full of voids and other jank. Some of the high end frames will be better no doubt.

Certainly it used to be the case that very cheap CF frames were actually no lighter than good aluminium frames. I don't know if this is still true.
Old 02-22-21, 05:45 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
The nice thing then about carbon is that when you tap it, it doesn't ring, it just goes Thunk. Doesn't matter what you tap it with, just Thunk.
This is interesting. I have a very short experience with a mid-range Bianch CF bike. And, it was that "thunk" that I interpreted as dead and hollow. I suspect, but don't know, that I would get used to that over time. I do like some of the CF designs. Aside from the "thunk" the thing that has kept off a CF bike is the cost.
Old 02-22-21, 06:11 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,041 Times in 4,475 Posts
Originally Posted by edmguirk
I am new to this forum so this is a bit of a hot take but I thought this was all thrashed out back when people were comparing steel, aluminum, and titanium.
Oh, no. Material threads are a constant on the forum, although the disk/rim brake argument has taken over lately.
Old 02-22-21, 06:24 PM
big john

My road rides are endurance rides of 100km and 200km mostly over chip seal roads. I like the vibration attenuation associated with titanium. I do have an aluminum frame bike which I use on my trainer. I have limited riding experience on carbon frame bikes, mostly rentals.

Fred
Funny, I have a titanium framed bike and it is quite stiff, bordering on brutal on rough roads. My steel framed bike rides smoother. I rode a friend's titanium Moots and it was springy and soft.
The stiffest, most jarring ride I ever had was steel. The softest, most noodly ride I ever had was also steel.

It's not the material as much as it is how it's built.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-22-21, 06:27 PM
big john

. Aside from the "thunk" the thing that has kept off a CF bike is the cost.
They're cheap now, in line with other materials.
Old 02-22-21, 06:52 PM
bruce19

Originally Posted by big john
They're cheap now, in line with other materials.
I don't think top level CF is as inexpensive as equivalent AL. But I'm happy to be wrong. Which CF frames did you have in mind?
Old 02-22-21, 07:07 PM
facorsig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A friend was looking at a titanium Lynskey Helix and it was very stiff. My bike is a titanium VaMoots Moots. In addition to material of construction design would be important.

What I dont understand about carbon frame bikes is frame repairs. I really struggle with repairs restoring original properties. Load transfer through the fibers simply cant be the same when there is a discontinuity of matrix. I see people citing expert repairs. It just cant be the same.
Old 02-22-21, 07:13 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
What I dont understand about carbon frame bikes is frame repairs. I really struggle with repairs restoring original properties. Load transfer through the fibers simply cant be the same when there is a discontinuity of matrix. I see people citing expert repairs. It just cant be the same.
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcas...=1000474359104
Old 02-22-21, 07:16 PM
big john

I don't think top level CF is as inexpensive as equivalent AL. But I'm happy to be wrong. Which CF frames did you have in mind?
It's tough to say what the "equivalent" CF frame is to a given aluminum frame, but there are CF bikes now that seem to be a pretty good deal. $2200 for a 105 bike.
Viathon Bicycles | R.1 Road Bike | Shimano 105 Equipped

I was looking at a BMC with 105 for about $2700. I suppose a CAAD12 is cheaper, but I'm sure there are other CF bikes out there in a similar price range.

Here is one for $1600.
2020 Polygon Strattos S7 Road Bike - Size: Large | Bikes Online (USA)

Here is one for $1100.
Save Up To 60% Off Shimano NEW Carbon Aero Road Bikes Motobecane Immortal Spirit with Shimano 22 Speed (bikesdirect.com)

Last edited by big john; 02-22-21 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-22-21, 07:19 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I don't think top level CF is as inexpensive as equivalent AL.
I don't think that top level CF has an AL equivalent.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-22-21, 07:39 PM
big john

A friend was looking at a titanium Lynskey Helix and it was very stiff. My bike is a titanium VaMoots Moots. In addition to material of construction design would be important.

It may not be exactly the same, but, depending on the repair, it's doubtful anyone could feel the difference. And if they could, the repair is probably preferable to tossing the frame into the trash. I also think frame repairs are rare. Most of the people I know who have cracked frames, CF or other materials, have had their frames replaced under warranty. I've broken 2 steel frames and 2 aluminum frames.
Old 02-22-21, 08:23 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
It may not be exactly the same, but, depending on the repair, it's doubtful anyone could feel the difference. And if they could, the repair is probably preferable to tossing the frame into the trash.
I take that line of thinking further: I don't believe that there are significant differences in shock absorption or vibration damping among steel, carbon, and aluminum forks. I have bikes with all three, and all ride exactly the way I expect a bike with the given wheelbase to ride. On the other hand, I understand that there are those who believe they can detect meaningful shock absorption in aluminum or steel bikes built with a section of carbon fiber in the seat stays. Puzzling.

In any event, that particular design feature disappeared quickly for some reason, just as dark anodized rims had, a decade earlier.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-22-21, 08:37 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

This is interesting. I have a very short experience with a mid-range Bianch CF bike. And, it was that "thunk" that I interpreted as dead and hollow. I suspect, but don't know, that I would get used to that over time. I do like some of the CF designs. Aside from the "thunk" the thing that has kept off a CF bike is the cost.
The reason I brought that up is that the Thunk is what makes carbon special - vibration damping. You can get the same stiffness in metal, but without the vibration damping. That's a product of the fiber/resin interface. A metal bike rings like a steel guitar string. Carbon is like you plucked household twine - thwunk - and for a similar reason, because of the fibers. Vibration is turned into heat energy. That's not a great analogy, but you get the idea.
Old 02-22-21, 08:48 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I supposed that's why you'll find carbon forks on otherwise aluminum bikes? For the vibration dampening?
Old 02-22-21, 09:12 PM
big john

Originally Posted by guachi
I supposed that's why you'll find carbon forks on otherwise aluminum bikes? For the vibration dampening?
I think aluminum is a bad material for a fork.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-23-21, 12:03 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
It's not the material as much as it is how it's built.
Girlfriend says she used to hear something a lot like that.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 02-23-21, 03:22 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
I think aluminum is a bad material for a fork.
Of the two of my bikes with aluminum forks, I bought one in 1995 and the other in 2005. Many tens of thousands of miles on both, and they're two of my favorite bikes. I suppose it's possible that the vibration-damping characteristics of aluminum forks, being between steel and carbon in that regard, might account for the enjoyable ride of those bikes, but I've always found tire pressure and wheelbase to be by far the major determinants of how bikes ride, nearly to the exclusion of other factors such as frame or fork material. (Although, come to think of it, I always disliked the way heavily loaded long-wheelbase steel touring frames tended to wallow around when standing and climbing.)
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-23-21, 06:20 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I don't think that top level CF has an AL equivalent.
I think this would depend on your definition of "equivalent" but point taken. As soon as I win Powerball I will give an in-depth report to BF. Should be any day now.
Old 02-23-21, 07:23 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I think this would depend on your definition of "equivalent" but point taken. As soon as I win Powerball I will give an in-depth report to BF. Should be any day now.
It's certainly the case from any of the major manufacturers. I wouldn't be surprised if you could spend more on a bespoke frame from a builder, but I'd question if they were able to meaningfully improve upon the performance characteristics of the leading AL manufacturers with their hydroforming and alloys, etc.
Old 02-25-21, 09:13 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi

I'd say it's because it's much easier to mold CF into a tapered shape than it is to form aluminum that way.
Old 02-25-21, 10:08 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
The problem is that you didn't go to engineering school and take materials science and statics...

With metal, the builder is limited to what is made commercially, diameter, wall thickness, and alloy. Not so with carbon/epoxy. Pretty easy to see why carbon is such a popular material.
I started out in Mechanical Engineering probably a few years after you did, back when drawings were made with a drafting machine and a pencil. And mine were just plain ugly. But what I remember best was the "Materials and Processes" class where the instructor spent one day telling us why welding was a bad idea. Soon after I took that class I switched majors.

I discovered that there were people doing some really fun stuff using software to control machines, and that I didn't have to study or anything even remotely like it; just be clever. I have had to use vision systems to correct for the (very small) changes in shape of welded aluminum tooling fixtures over time in one very high precision manufacturing system. They should have been carved from a forged billet but even custom high dollar automation systems have a budget.

So, for the most part I agree with you 100% about metal. In spite of that, most of my bicycles are made of welded metal. However, not all of them are made from constant wall thickness drawn tubing. I believe that Lynskey forms some of their frame elements from sheets of Titanium, and I suspect that if they want to they can use variable thicknesses by working the sheet before it is welded into the frame element.

Another example in the bicycle world, the Finnish company Pole is machining some of their frames from a billet which allows them to use variable element thickness and an alloy which is not weldable, but those bikes cost as much as carbon fiber. They machine the main frame assembly in two pieces, then use an adhesive to bond them into the final assembly. I believe they do the same thing for the swing arm. I suspect that they chose this process because it was easier than low volume carbon fiber manufacturing in Finland.

Also, there are now processes which get lumped into the category of "additive manufacturing" which allow the mechanical designer to specify variable element thickness. Again they are not the cheapest. Atherton (formerly Robot) Bicycles is using additive technology to build custom frame lugs to which they bond carbon fiber tubes. My guess is that they could use steel or Titanium for the tubes if they wanted and that the use of carbon fiber tubes was to reduce weight and have a vibration damping material. Or maybe it was marketing.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 02-26-21, 09:14 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Another example in the bicycle world, the Finnish company Pole is machining some of their frames from a billet which allows them to use variable element thickness and an alloy which is not weldable, but those bikes cost as much as carbon fiber. They machine the main frame assembly in two pieces, then use an adhesive to bond them into the final assembly. I believe they do the same thing for the swing arm. I suspect that they chose this process because it was easier than low volume carbon fiber manufacturing in Finland.
Seems like a very wasteful process.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-26-21, 09:16 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
I started out in Mechanical Engineering probably a few years after you did, back when drawings were made with a drafting machine and a pencil. And mine were just plain ugly. But what I remember best was the "Materials and Processes" class where the instructor spent one day telling us why welding was a bad idea. Soon after I took that class I switched majors.

I discovered that there were people doing some really fun stuff using software to control machines, and that I didn't have to study or anything even remotely like it; just be clever. I have had to use vision systems to correct for the (very small) changes in shape of welded aluminum tooling fixtures over time in one very high precision manufacturing system. They should have been carved from a forged billet but even custom high dollar automation systems have a budget.

So, for the most part I agree with you 100% about metal. In spite of that, most of my bicycles are made of welded metal. However, not all of them are made from constant wall thickness drawn tubing. I believe that Lynskey forms some of their frame elements from sheets of Titanium, and I suspect that if they want to they can use variable thicknesses by working the sheet before it is welded into the frame element.

Also, there are now processes which get lumped into the category of "additive manufacturing" which allow the mechanical designer to specify variable element thickness. Again they are not the cheapest. Atherton (formerly Robot) Bicycles is using additive technology to build custom frame lugs to which they bond carbon fiber tubes. My guess is that they could use steel or Titanium for the tubes if they wanted and that the use of carbon fiber tubes was to reduce weight and have a vibration damping material. Or maybe it was marketing.
Still, metal is an isotropic material and so will always be at a disadvantage w/r to anisotropic materials when trying to create an object with very specific properties.
Old 02-26-21, 02:58 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
Still, metal is an isotropic material and so will always be at a disadvantage w/r to anisotropic materials when trying to create an object with very specific properties.
Again, in the normal case I completely agree. Carbon fiber has lots of great properties and I don't understand why people disparage "plastic" as a material.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.