Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What should I do with my tires?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-21, 07:28 AM
djdelarosa25

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

My Giant road bike's stock tires were 28 mm which I think are the sweet spot for the kind of roads I ride on but they're pretty **** in my opinion. They're heavy (wire bead) and I notice some wheelspin when putting out some power even in dry conditions. Luckily, I got a relatively new pair of Continental Ultra Sport IIIs (folding) from another bike here in our house and transferred it to my bike. While not a top model, it's certainly a much better tire than the Giants. The Bicycle Rolling Resistance website says it's the best budget tire they tested, etc. but the problem is it's in 25 mm. I have the money right now to buy another pair of Ultra Sport IIIs in 28 mm if I wanted since it's pretty affordable and our scholarship allowance just landed, but of course I want to keep spending to a minimum, if possible.

I am planning on selling one or both pairs, and just using the money I get from there to buy the 28 mm Conti pair. The question is, which tires should go? Also, I'm beginning to wonder if I should keep the 25 mm Contis instead since I'm a pretty light guy anyway (I weigh around 55-60 kg) but on some rides where we come across really bad roads, the vibrations are pretty bad at speed and I'm worried something on my bike would break.

Apologies for the stupid thread. Being a student cyclist sucks lol. Thanks in advance
Old 02-22-21, 07:40 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
You're light, broke and new to road cycling - ride the 25s, at appropriate pressure, and get your moneys worth out of them. Your bike isn't going to break because you're riding 25s instead of 28s.
Old 02-22-21, 07:49 AM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
I've seen people selling used tires, so maybe someone will buy them, but I agree with the above - ride them and replace when worn.
As for the Ultra Sports, they do have a fairly low rr for a cheap tire, but the trade off is that they don't last very long.
Old 02-22-21, 08:32 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
When I think of all the dirt, gravel, washboard, and just plain crap we rode on year after year on 20 mm tires...

Think of the aero penalty of 28s over 25s and be happy.
Old 02-22-21, 02:19 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by djdelarosa25
My Giant road bike's stock tires were 28 mm which I think are the sweet spot for the kind of roads I ride on but they're pretty **** in my opinion. They're heavy (wire bead) and I notice some wheelspin when putting out some power even in dry conditions. Luckily, I got a relatively new pair of Continental Ultra Sport IIIs (folding) from another bike here in our house and transferred it to my bike. While not a top model, it's certainly a much better tire than the Giants. The Bicycle Rolling Resistance website says it's the best budget tire they tested, etc. but the problem is it's in 25 mm. I have the money right now to buy another pair of Ultra Sport IIIs in 28 mm if I wanted since it's pretty affordable and our scholarship allowance just landed, but of course I want to keep spending to a minimum, if possible.

I am planning on selling one or both pairs, and just using the money I get from there to buy the 28 mm Conti pair. The question is, which tires should go? Also, I'm beginning to wonder if I should keep the 25 mm Contis instead since I'm a pretty light guy anyway (I weigh around 55-60 kg) but on some rides where we come across really bad roads, the vibrations are pretty bad at speed and I'm worried something on my bike would break.

Apologies for the stupid thread. Being a student cyclist sucks lol. Thanks in advance
So, apparently my previous response to this was offensive to an administrator, so let me try this again: are you really claiming that you can spin your rear wheel? Because that doesn't seem right, unless you have ungodly power output -- or there is some other issue here.

Anyway, the difference between 25mm and 28mm tires is not that large. Even if you could easily afford to swap over to 28s, I would recommend that you keep the 25s 'til they are worn out.
Old 02-22-21, 02:43 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by djdelarosa25

What PSI are you pumping your tires to?
Old 02-22-21, 03:31 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
So, apparently my previous response to this was offensive to an administrator, so let me try this again: are you really claiming that you can spin your rear wheel? Because that doesn't seem right, unless you have ungodly power output -- or there is some other issue here.

Anyway, the difference between 25mm and 28mm tires is not that large. Even if you could easily afford to swap over to 28s, I would recommend that you keep the 25s 'til they are worn out.
I spin my rear wheel heading up the drive to the highway every time I go for a ride and it really doesn't take much effort. On my MTB, I'm constantly spinning my rear wheel and it's much larger at 2.5" than the 25C I have on the road bike. It also has some serious knobs while the road is almost slick. I know I don't have unGodly strength. And I find it really hard to believe that you offended an administrator.
Old 02-22-21, 03:36 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
I spin my rear wheel heading up the drive to the highway every time I go for a ride and it really doesn't take much effort. On my MTB, I'm constantly spinning my rear wheel and it's much larger at 2.5" than the 25C I have on the road bike. It also has some serious knobs while the road is almost slick. I know I don't have unGodly strength. And I find it really hard to believe that you offended an administrator.
Oh, I'm very offensive.

I don't think going from 25 to 28 will help with wheelspin, and I'll even bet that it'll be unnoticeable in other regards. I'm basing this on my own experience in going up one size on a couple road bikes. So if you are short on cash, and the 25s are otherwise good tires, I'd recommend sticking with them. And shift your weight back a bit when riding up that hill.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-22-21, 03:38 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by cubewheels
In that poor country of his, the uphill side of the road is badly messed up with cement spilling from cement trucks which by now has become a permanent feature of the road and never gets repaired.

I got videos of it, it resembles ill-maintained gravel road or a gravel road after a flood, it's horrendous! If climbs are hard enough, the roads give you dried spilled cement to make it even more challenging!

Moving out of the country to have decent, safe, and healthy riding experience is a very good option.
Sounds like time for a Fat Tire bike.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 02-22-21, 08:59 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I had a set of 25mm Bontrager tires and replaced them with Bontrager 28mm tires to get a bit bigger tire. I swear they used the same casing
Old 02-22-21, 09:36 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I can't believe that no one else has suggested this, but my warped advice is to put a 28mm tire on the rear, and a 25 on the front. That's what I put on my fiancee's bike, and she hasn't noticed. Or at least, she hasn't complained. A little wider is a little more cushion, and that's a good thing on rough roads. Moderate the pressure to get the most advantage.

Myself, I run 40 on the rear and 35 in front. Trying to wear out a previous purchase of durable but heavier tires, and next time I'll get lighter, more supple tires.
Old 02-23-21, 06:18 AM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
It should be the opposite in poor road conditions. Not for improving traction but for safety. Skinny tires have higher chance of pinch flat. If you're going to pinch flat, better that happen in the back wheel than front.
Strongly disagree. Maybe "poor road conditions" are different for you than for me, because on her bike, 25/28mm front/rear, I pump weekly to 80/85 psi or slightly higher. Might lose ~10 pounds each maximum over a week, probably less. Not enough to pinch on the roads we ride, even on the occasional 1 inch bump where the road meets the bridge. There's more weight on the rear wheel, so a wider tire is more cushion on the rear, where it's needed.
Old 02-23-21, 07:03 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
It should be the opposite in poor road conditions. Not for improving traction but for safety. Skinny tires have higher chance of pinch flat. If you're going to pinch flat, better that happen in the back wheel than front.
Uh, no.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-23-21, 08:28 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

I never had pinch flat on the rear tire even if the front tire is only slightly less psi than rear. Pinch flat on the front, very scary experience. Getting flat on the back is of much less danger, I still have good control and braking.

So if I only have two different size tires, I'll put wider one in front.

Besides, if you have enough seatpost exposed, it will flex a bit to absorb bumps.
On my road bikes I would never consider putting different sized tires frt and rr. but on my MTB I have a much softer Bontrager and a much harder, gnarlier and heavier tire on the rear. The softer tire up frt gives me much more control and overall comfort when shredding down a trail at high speed.
Old 02-24-21, 02:26 AM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
i ride 23s on road because i can take my race tires over to my commute bike , but i would suggest just getting some gp5000s if you are going to run US3s , for me , tires are all about the price , i can get US3s on amazon for 50 usd or wait for a sale on gp5000s for less than 80 a pair , and thats usually how i shop , always get the tire thats on sale , shwables lower lines are pretty affordable too , where as the Pro1s can be about 90 bucks a pair , and i guess BREXIT is official because MERLINCYCLE doesn't seem to have the same deals and their shipping seems to be up to 25 bucks no matter what , they used to be my go-to for gp4000s for 68 bucks usd .
but really i just wish conti would bring back the gp4000s and just sell them for 30 bucks , id still ride them exclusively , and maybe just race on gp5000s , but NOOOOO stupid cont has to push these new tires out with every shill on youtube telling us how much better they are , REALLY GCN , the tires we road for almost a decade are not obsolete , give me a marketing BS break LOL !!!!
but my price points in the USA re around these marks

gp5000 85 and under
ultrasport 3 60
shwalbe pro1 addix clincher non tubeless 70
vittoria corsa g 80

thats all ive tried , dont trust any other tires really good luck !
Old 02-24-21, 07:36 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 366 Posts
1)Tires are wear items wear them out, then consider the best replacement.

2) you’re delusional if you think you’ll see any real money from selling the tires you think are crappy. The market for used bike tires is only slightly better than that for used condoms.

3) if you’re spinning your rear tire on dry pavement, it’s like more your technique( i.e. weight balance, pedal stroke and gear choice) than your tires.

You’re a broke college student; run the tires to the cords, and save money for beer.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 02-25-21, 01:35 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Oh, I'm very offensive.

I don't think going from 25 to 28 will help with wheelspin, and I'll even bet that it'll be unnoticeable in other regards. I'm basing this on my own experience in going up one size on a couple road bikes. So if you are short on cash, and the 25s are otherwise good tires, I'd recommend sticking with them. And shift your weight back a bit when riding up that hill.
​​​​​​When I went from 23 to 28 my arm grew back so...