Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Non-Branded Decals for a re-sprayed frame?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-21, 03:30 AM
oj.

Bikes: 2013 trek 4700d, 60's BSA, United Dinero BMX, 1980 BSA Prima

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I've just finished building up an old (and not common) Alpinestars mountain bike, that I've had powder coated. The only decals I can get for it are those for the somewhat famous and a lot more high end Alpinestars Cro-mega. Obviously this isn't a Cro-mega and those stickers are a PIA to get hold of so I'm looking for some inspiration for non branded decals I could apply to the frame. Thinking things like stripes, something subtle but makes the bike a bit more interesting.

Alpinestars CR100 resprayed from silver to holographic blue/purple.

Rather tired CR100 before coating

TIA for any suggestions
Old 02-25-21, 05:38 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
Do you know anyone with a Cricut type vinyl cutter? They could cut you a negative space decal like this one https://anydecals.com/alpinestars-car-decal/ If you were in the US, I would cut them for you.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 02-25-21, 05:48 AM
oj.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
Do you know anyone with a Cricut type vinyl cutter? They could cut you a negative space decal like this one https://anydecals.com/alpinestars-car-decal/ If you were in the US, I would cut them for you.
I used to have access to one in high school, and I could probably get one of my friends who's an art student to get them cut for me. Unfortunately the Scottish First Minister has placed us all under lockdown until may. I might see if I can find an online service who's willing to do one off cut decals. Cheers
Likes For oj.:
Old 02-25-21, 07:26 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
There's always Rivendell's "Resurrectio" decal set:

https://www.rivbike.com/products/resurrectio-decals
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
m11-2_590x.jpg (19.7 KB, 109 views)
m11-3_590x.jpg (39.3 KB, 108 views)
m11-4_590x.jpg (48.9 KB, 108 views)
m11-5_590x.jpg (21.1 KB, 106 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 02-25-21, 08:18 AM
oj.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
There's always Rivendell's "Resurrectio" decal set:
oof $35 plus shipping, bit much for me to swallow
Old 02-25-21, 08:40 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
I have never used this place but had it in my bookmarks for some reason and somewhat near Scotland for shipping. Prices seem reasonable and they have at least one example of a different model Alpinestars MTB about 3/5 down the page. (20+) retrodecals | Facebook
Old 02-25-21, 10:01 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Dry apply letter transfers use to be pretty common. Make up your own name with them. Amazon.com : dry transfer lettering Andy
Old 02-25-21, 10:12 AM
oj.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
I have never used this place but had it in my bookmarks for some reason and somewhat near Scotland for shipping. Prices seem reasonable and they have at least one example of a different model Alpinestars MTB about 3/5 down the page. (20+) retrodecals | Facebook
I've sent them a PM, but I can't get on their website. Hoping their still in business.
Old 02-25-21, 02:59 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Look for a local shop that does custom stripes, logos, decals etc. for private and commercial vehicles. They're pretty common and exist in most cities of any size. They can create anything you want. They have suitable materials, cutting capability, ink and design software. I've had my local shop create near-perfect facsimiles for a somewhat obscure brand of bike I "restored". I brought them photos from the internet, some rough dimensions and they were able to identify the font and we worked together tweaking the colors. This would be even easier if you just want some generic or self-designed stuff for your frame.
Old 02-25-21, 03:52 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26413 Post(s)
Liked 10,379 Times in 7,207 Posts
https://doityourselflettering.com/

...ask up front about the across the Atlantic thing, but I can't imagine it's a problem.
Old 02-25-21, 03:57 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Have you checked with these folks? https://velocals.com/

Although they are in USA. Don't know if they do international. Nor do I know if they make custom stuff. Mostly vintage.

If $35 plus shipping bothered you, then they probably aren't for you either.

Find someone that does car art or airbrush work. Then clear coat it..... but then again there is that 35 dollar thing you'll probably exceed.

I'm not meaning to sound rude or cruel, but just trying to wake you up to the fact there aren't any 10 cent decals around any more.

Last edited by Iride01; 02-25-21 at 04:04 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-26-21, 02:20 AM
oj.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I'm not meaning to sound rude or cruel, but just trying to wake you up to the fact there aren't any 10 cent decals around any more.
I'm not opposed to spending the money to get the right product, more that I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on something that could be considered a compromise. I probably should have been more clear on this, but unless it's a period correct set of alpinestars decals I'd rather not spend the money. This bike is for my mum, and whilst I'd appreciate good decals it's neither here nor there for her. I seem to be getting somewhere with the guy on Facebook and he claims to have 'many' alpinestars decal files available.
Likes For oj.:
Old 02-26-21, 04:56 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Have you tried H Lloyd Cycles? They have a pretty vast range. You may have trouble getting certain decals to stick to powder coating; were you planning to put a clear coat over them?
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 02-26-21, 05:05 AM
oj.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
Have you tried H Lloyd Cycles? They have a pretty vast range. You may have trouble getting certain decals to stick to powder coating; were you planning to put a clear coat over them?
I'm actually planning on purchasing the decals for my old BSA which I had coated at the same time from H Lloyd's. No alpinestars from them I'm afraid. My friends who've had frames powder coated have never had issues with vinyl stickers, so I'm hoping that I'll be the same. I think I'll ask for a sample to be safe though. If I do applied decals permanently I'll be putting some clear coat on the top, but only for expensive decals. I can't imagine the finish with a can of clear coat could match the professional powder coat, so for cheap options it would be easier just to apply some different decals when they wear out, or just rock the patina
Old 02-26-21, 07:56 AM
denaffen

Bikes: Bianchi Nyala, Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Trek 640, Luxus folding bike, Schwinn Speedster, Bianchi Torino, KHS Aero Sport, probably something else around here somewhere

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 100 Posts
You can buy waterslide decal sheets for your home printer. Put something together you like, print it, and put it on. They come out beautifully.

Old 02-26-21, 08:03 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
You could try Colour-Tech in Dartford, Kent. I enquired about getting one of my bike re-enamelled and mentioned that there were a couple of decals that I couldn't get. They seemed quite happy to laser-cut the decals for me and, from memory, I think the price was very reasonable. They would have been handling the whole job, of course, which may make a difference. Sadly I never have managed to scrape together the money to get that bike done; there always seems to be something with a higher priority.
Old 02-26-21, 08:16 AM
oj.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by denaffen
You can buy waterslide decal sheets for your home printer.
If only I hadn't chucked out the consumer level inkjet that I was sick of buying ink for, in favour of an ex-office laser jet. Maybe an excuse to buy myself a photo printer?
Old 02-26-21, 09:27 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Chiming in to say that is not a site I'd visited before, and WOW!
Old 02-26-21, 09:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4352 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
There are bike brands I want that I hadn't heard of any am only seeing logos for. I like the stuff I don't have anything on that list that I need decals for but I will keep it in the back of the head because it might be just what I need.