Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Pets of Foosters

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.
View Poll Results:
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Pets of Foosters

Old 10-29-14, 12:57 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 393 Posts
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Bella enjoying the sun.

Dawwwww....
Old 11-01-14, 05:43 PM
Ed.

Bikes: 1938 Raleigh Record Ace (2), 1938 Schwinn Paramount, 1961 Torpado, 1964? Frejus, 1980 Raleigh 753 Team Pro, Moulton, other stuff...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Tucker - rescue dog. He's about 5, and has come a long way from "Long on enthusiasm and short on training" to be a therapy dog.
Old 11-01-14, 05:46 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 222 Posts
Handsome fellow. Good on you for rescuing. And he has a ghost on his chest...good timing
Old 11-01-14, 09:50 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Marshall... a 2 year old Meyer's parrot that has come home. He is by far one of the sweetest little guys who loves pretty much everyone.

Old 11-04-14, 08:06 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Pence... getting his tan on.

He is as sweet as a kitten too.
Old 12-08-14, 09:51 PM
gitarzan
Lost Again

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gitarzan View Post

This is Chauncey. It's an old picture, about 11 years old. I've got newer pictures, but they aren't handy online like that one. Chauncey is about 16 years old, now. We got her in 2000 from a couple girls that lived across the street. They were moving into an apartment and could only take one dog. They chose their older dog. I can't blame them. Chauncey was a day away of going to the shelter when I said I'd take her. The girls told me that Chauncey was two years old, they were driving thru WV and a sign said free puppies and they stopped and took one home. Chauncey has a bear like face and her nick name is Chauncey Bear or CB.

We don't know what she is, she looks like a Schipperke mix, and so we go with that notion.

She was so dirty when I got her I thought she was brown, I washed her that night and found a beautiful black dog. I took her outside the first night I got her, post bath, and she wriggled out of her collar and leash and ran off. I was running all around the neighborhood just a week after pituitary surgery, I wasn't even able to drive yet. The girls had given me their phone number, I called them and they came back and were able to round her up right away. After that night CB settled in and has been a loyal sweetheart since. She was a backyard dog when we got her, she's been an inside dog since. I don't believe in leaving pets outside unattended.

About 7 years ago, we got a couple Pomeranians that decided to run the show and hog all the attention. Chauncey was good about it and took a back seat for quite a while. That was our mistake, letting the little ones steal her time. I feel bad about letting that happen. The last year or so, I've been working with her making sure shes getting her share of affection and attention.

She been getting slow in her old age and she's been propped up with prednisone, per the vets instructions for the last several months.

She's very grayed now the last few weeks has been having problems. She's been too weak to get up on the wooden floor in the bedroom and so lays there and messes on herself. The last day or too even getting up on the carpet has been tough for her. Today I had to carry her outside where, and while she didn't go far, she was a good dog, if you know what I mean. She made it onto the patio and I had to carry her back in. Shes moving around a little, and does not seem to be in pain, just weak. She just sat there bright and alert with that hi there look on her face.

Anyway, I hate to do it, but I think she's gonna need to see the vet one last time in a few days. I done that before two two other dogs and few of our kitties, but it's never been easy.

I'm feeling bad about this, but thatS the deal we make when we take on our pets.
Well Hecks-A-Fire, Chauncey is hanging in there just fine. 10 mg of Prednisone and a couple baby aspirins are doing the trick.

Sad news is she has now outlived my sweetheart Hollie. Hollie was a 8.5 year old white pomeranian, that was the joy of my life. She was a little busy-body, always there, but never underfoot. She had a cache of toys that she constantly moved from one nest to another. She greeted me home every day, waggled her tail so hard it shook her entire back half. She was friends with everyone and everyone that met her loved her from first sight.

Saturday AM, about 2am I was going to bed. I heard Holie suddenly snarl, and so I got up to take a look. I knew the other dogs were in the bedroom, while Hollie was in the front room. I was tempted to let it ride, but I got up. I looked at her and she was staggering and falling. I moved her onto the bed thinking she was having a seizure, I've had dogs that seized before. Well, it didn't look like a that upon examination. She was not tense, and her paws were not curled in. I got dressed, caged and headed out to a local 24 hour animal hospital / ER called MedVet. I got there, and she came out of her cage acting the same.

They took her back and after a fist look the Vet came back and asked me if she could have been poisoned. We went over my wife's and my meds, nothing there. I have been eating grapes and got some seeds on the floor, but it's the skins not seeds that poison dogs. He went back to look at her again. He came back and said she was worse. her BP was 188 over something. He got a call to come back. This time when he came back to me, he said she had stopped breathing and was on a respirator. He said she had been responding to hearing her name but not now, I asked to go back. I called her name and she began to wag it and tried to get up. They too the tube out and put a O2 cane over her nose. In a few she needed intubated again.

They sent me back to the room. I called my wife, and talked it over with the doctor. He said we could hold her over and let the medical dept look at her in the am, but it was his opinion that she had had some cerebral accident and it was severe enough to bring her body to the point of shutdown. the casue may have been her high BP. Her eyes were not dilated, the did an ultrasound, there was no sign of damage, the could determine nothing but she was dying. I called my wife again. She agreed on what we had to do. I told the doctor we cant let her go on like this. I went back in the room, rubbed the side of her neck as the Vet gave her that shot. I felt her life leave her.

I've been a wreck that last couple days. Typically, when this happens, our pet has been so old it was a mercy. This was a mercy, but she wasn't old. 30 minutes before she want out, came in, was dancing around, being a sweetheart. Since my wife and I have been married, we've had 5 dogs (2 living now) and 9 cats (2 now). It's never easy a the end. One cat name Ledo had to be put down some 14 years ago, he was very special, Hollie was like that. Special. They are all special but Hollie stood out.

For the first couple day, I keep wondering how God could let this happen. Today I realized that maybe God made get get up, so I could take her in, and be with her at the end. If I had not, I would have found her dead on the floor. You never know.

Hollie:

Oddly, after she was gone, I had gone home about 5:30 am and I fell asleep for a few hours. I had this dream that a large very dark brindle dog was coming out of the dark, bringing me things.

Last edited by gitarzan; 12-08-14 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-08-14, 10:39 PM
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 217 Posts
Her disposition sounds much like my current dog. She is also very different from my previous, larger dogs.

I hope you find a way to fill the void in your heart which was just created.
Old 12-08-14, 11:14 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

He is a killer.

(video)

https://www.ravingbikefiend.com/videos/marshallthekiller.mp4
Old 12-09-14, 07:07 AM
gitarzan
Lost Again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StupidlyBrave View Post
Her disposition sounds much like my current dog. She is also very different from my previous, larger dogs.

I hope you find a way to fill the void in your heart which was just created.
Thanks. I'm still choking up a half dozen times a day with disbelief. I'm lavishing the other dogs with her attention.
Old 12-09-14, 08:19 AM
spoiledrotten

Bikes: 2015 Scott Speedster XL Frame, 2014 Diamondback hybrid, and a 20" Schwinn Unicycle (does that count?)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bella the wonder dog.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2076.jpg (97.6 KB, 147 views)
Old 12-09-14, 12:37 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 276 Posts
Thanks. I'm still choking up a half dozen times a day with disbelief. I'm lavishing the other dogs with her attention.
I'm sorry to hear this. I'm going to give my girls some extra attention when I get home tonight.
Old 12-09-14, 09:40 PM
sevenmag

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm so sorry to see this. My deepest heartfelt sympathies. Sadly it's the part of the bargain we make with them, but we love and enjoy their company when they are with us. They make us better people.

My first wife brought home mix breed black and tan dog that at the time I did not want. I knew it wouldn't be long before she was going to be gone from my life, and I didn't need a dog to complicate things. Once she was gone, it became me and the dog. Slowly, he became the proverbial mans' best friend. I found out rather quickly that "my" friends were really "our" friends and I had none left.

A single man with mostly married friends is a man on an island. I had no idea at the time just how big a part that goofy black and tan mutt would play in my finding myself again after a messy divorce. I was broke, had few friends, and not much to do. So I hung out with Dillon. Slowly I found things we could do together that essentially were cost free, and most importantly separated me from the misery and the feelings of failure I was plowing through every day. I began to look forward to the weekends again so we could go to the river and spend the day swimming, or visit my folks who he seemed to really love. Over time we just became Todd and Dillon. That guy and his huge dog that loves everyone. I didn't realize it at the time but he gave me a reason to look forward to life outside of work. I also didn't realize then just how important that was. As the years past I grew up, and he grew older. I remarried.

I told my wife one day I did not want to be selfish and drag Dillon along when he reached the point that his quality of life began to suffer. I made her promise to remind me of that statement. One day she did.

That was over 15 years ago and as much as I hate to admit it, if i have time to myself and my mind wanders I'll still fog up.

A man I admired once told me that every man should have (in no particular order) one good beard, and good wife and one good dog. I guess I'm destined to never know the joy of a good beard.
Old 12-09-14, 09:53 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm sorry.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 12-09-14, 11:26 PM
gitarzan
Lost Again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spoiledrotten View Post
Bella the wonder dog.

A regal looking dog, that Bella.
Old 12-17-14, 04:47 PM
Lazyass

Bikes: Vintage steel, aluminum, modern carbon disc, single speed, MTB's, the works

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2006 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 48 Posts
Chubby is an 11 week old Sharpei/Lab mix. 25lbs so far. This is the only position he sleeps in.

Old 04-19-17, 08:26 AM
bikecrate

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 132 Posts
This thread has been dormant for a while, so I thought I'd add my pet.

First off, I had to say goodbye to my 12 year old Schnoodle, Winnie, back in December. She was a great dog. Never stopped being a puppy until the last month when she got sick. She was kind of a clown and didn't know how to do unhappy.

Well, I was sure I needed a long break until I got another dog again. However, the house seemed too empty and I decided to take the plunge (what was I thinking ). We found a 1 1/2 year old rescue pit mix named Cookie. She is very low key compared to Winnie. We are working on some separation anxiety and starting her training soon.

One of her favorite activities...taking a nap.

Another favorite is hunting for lizards.
Old 04-19-17, 11:06 AM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 222 Posts
Thanks for reviving a great thread. Sorry for your loss of Winnie. I've only heard good things of doodles (Golden doodles, Labradoodles, etc). I have a now eleven year old labradoodle that had an ACL repaired a year ago.
And good on you for rescuing Cookie. I had the same separation anxiety thing with the labradoodle. I solved it with...another dog! And it's been doggie bliss for the last six years.
Old 04-19-17, 12:50 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 2701 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 377 Posts

Isaac loves everybody. He has a full-sized black poodle girlfriend a few blocks from home, every time we walk by Zoe's house he stops and looks in the window, then Zoe barks for her dad to come get her, and then Isaac and Zoe do a little doggie tango dance on leash.
Old 04-19-17, 01:49 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 87 Posts
Here's Chainsaw. He's 17 this year.

Here's Rayleigh on the catio

And here's Love on the catio

they're littermaters which is why they look almost identical
Old 04-20-17, 07:16 AM
bikecrate

Originally Posted by skijor View Post
Thanks for reviving a great thread. Sorry for your loss of Winnie. I've only heard good things of doodles (Golden doodles, Labradoodles, etc). I have a now eleven year old labradoodle that had an ACL repaired a year ago.
And good on you for rescuing Cookie. I had the same separation anxiety thing with the labradoodle. I solved it with...another dog! And it's been doggie bliss for the last six years.
The separation anxiety is getting much better. We are doing the low key departing and arrivals. Also keeping the TV on seems to help. The last few days I've come home from work she was fast asleep. Don't think I haven't been tempted to add another dog. I might spend the next couple of months concentrating on Cookie's needs and then consider it.
Old 04-22-17, 01:15 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 87 Posts
sunny_06.jpg

My pooch

Somebody else's kid.
Old 08-21-20, 11:44 AM
bikecrate

Time to bring back this old thread with a new dog. The last time I posted in here we had just gotten a rescue named Cookie back in 2017. We decided she wouldn't mind having a new rescue buddy named Bella. She has just turned one year old. So far everything is going well. She is very well housebroken and we are working on crate training etc. We had to puppy proof the house again though. She has not been too destructive so far.

Likes For bikecrate:
Old 08-22-20, 11:04 AM
ahsposo 
Pounding Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 5076 Post(s)
Liked 2,121 Times in 1,286 Posts
One of the "good" zombies!

A recent shot of Scooter

Likes For ahsposo:
Old 08-22-20, 02:48 PM
gios

Bikes: 1990 Gios Compact Pro - 105

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 99 Posts

Likes For gios:
Old 08-24-20, 09:19 AM
bikecrate

So we went on a two hour car ride this weekend with the girls. Bella decides to sit on Cookie for part of the trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.