Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is my height not right?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is my height not right?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-15, 08:43 AM
kelseymeaghan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is my height not right?

Hi all,
I recently purchased a 2005 Specialized Allez Comp Cr-Mo Double from my LBS. Since this is my first road bike, I relied on the owner to show me the ropes. He told me a 56" mens frame or 57" women's frame would probably work best for me and showed me the bike I bought as a 55" frame. I called specialized to figure out what it actually measures since I know there isn't a 55". According to the head tube length, it is a 54" frame. I am just shy of 6ft tall and have a 32.5 inseam, so I'm worried it may be too small for me. It feels comfortable riding, but I haven't gone far with it. Should I return the bike and look for something bigger, or is it fine as it has been fit to me by the shop? I have a history of hip and knee problems from running, so biking was supposed to help me out in that aspect, while providing a way to race. The seat was raised 3/4" from where the original owner had it. Any thoughts appreciated! Here is a picture:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1535.jpg (103.2 KB, 41 views)
Old 07-02-15, 08:47 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 627 Posts
It should work for you.

Try a longer stem if you like to stretch out while riding.

Old 07-02-15, 09:01 AM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
You need to feel comfortable and stable on your bike, and that takes a bit of adjusting. I'm 6'0" with a 32.5 inseam, and I felt my 57cm compact frame Bianchi was too small. After trying a couple other bikes, I found that 58cm bikes with a little shorter stem seem to work best for me. One of my bikes is a wonderful steel frame Gazelle that has a 60cm frame. I have it set up OK, but it is still a bit of a reach for me. If I could get a 58cm frame, it would be perfect. We each need to find our comfort level on our bike - and that's not necessarily what the bike shop says we should ride. You might find three different size bikes with different geometries that will work for you. If it doesn't feel right, I'd try a different size (or geometry) frame.

Good luck with your search!
Old 07-02-15, 09:05 AM
68venable

Bikes: 1988 Cannondale Criterium SR500

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam and the bike shop put me on a 56 Allez. By chance, I traded a kayak for an old Cannondale SR500 which is a size 63. I mostly prefer the Cannondale. They both fit OK once a bit of tweaking is done.
Old 07-02-15, 11:59 AM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It sounds like the bike is a bit small for you. Too bad. But, you may be able to improve your fit with a longer and/or taller handlebar stem.

I'm 6'1 with an 89 cm pubic bone height (aka "cycling inseam"). I prefer a 59-60 cm frame, but I found a great deal on a 57 cm road bike. With a taller seat post and taller/longer stem, it fits pretty great.

There was a time when weight weenies would recommend a smaller frame, in order to save a couple grams.
Old 07-02-15, 12:14 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by kelseymeaghan
Hi all,
I recently purchased a 2005 Specialized Allez Comp Cr-Mo Double from my LBS. Since this is my first road bike, I relied on the owner to show me the ropes. He told me a 56" mens frame or 57" women's frame would probably work best for me and showed me the bike I bought as a 55" frame. I called specialized to figure out what it actually measures since I know there isn't a 55". According to the head tube length, it is a 54" frame. I am just shy of 6ft tall and have a 32.5 inseam, so I'm worried it may be too small for me. It feels comfortable riding, but I haven't gone far with it. Should I return the bike and look for something bigger, or is it fine as it has been fit to me by the shop? I have a history of hip and knee problems from running, so biking was supposed to help me out in that aspect, while providing a way to race. The seat was raised 3/4" from where the original owner had it. Any thoughts appreciated! Here is a picture:
If you are riding a 55" (inch) frame, it is way too big for you. But a 55 cm frame might work.
Old 07-02-15, 01:25 PM
kelseymeaghan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
If you are riding a 55" (inch) frame, it is way too big for you. But a 55 cm frame might work.
oops, I obviously meant cm, not inches. That's what I get for trying to blast this out quickly!

Thank you to everyone for the responses, I'm going to ride around a bit more tonight and see how things feel. I am a Spin instructor, so I know how to keep decent form...but things are different on an actual bike of course. Since I'm prone to injury I'm trying to do things by the book. I know comfort is key, but I also don't trust my comfort gauge...I did continue running on a torn hip labrum for quite some time before realizing that pain wasn't normal.
Old 07-02-15, 08:01 PM
pacificaslim
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
If the saddle height in that picture is good for you, I think you'll be fine with that frame. I can't really tell the effective top tune length from the photo but if you feel the bars are too close, you could get a longer stem. I'm 6'0" and ride a bike with only a 55.5 top tube so I just use a longish stem (120).
Old 07-03-15, 07:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Trends in Bike racing have moved more towards that setup.

a lot of seatpost showing bars a good bit lower & sloping top tube makes the seat-tube shorter .. yes a stem that is much longer , perhaps .

as more a Cycle-tourist with a road bike , I pick the 56cm size (level top tube, 56.5cm) Im shorter ..
My fit shows a lot less seat post

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-03-15 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-03-15, 07:41 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If its comfortable the size is irrelevant. Don't get overly concerned about numbers. As long as it is comfortable for you to ride off the showroom floor there is plenty of room to make minor adjustments to dial it in after you get some time in and see what you really want out of it.
Old 07-03-15, 07:59 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
The key factor is leg to torso length ratio.

Bikes with longer seat tubes tend to also have longer top tubes. Bikes specifically designed for women (color aside) tend to have top tubes that are a bit shorter than a similar bike that was designed for men. The bottom line is that you are looking for a bike that has the right geometry to fit your individual leg to torso length ratio. If you focus too much on either top tube length or seat tube length without considering the other, you might to get it wrong.
Old 07-03-15, 08:49 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
It should work for you.

This. Every bike shop I know has a drawer full of stems taken off stock bikes that they sell at a discount.
Old 07-03-15, 09:53 AM
kelseymeaghan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
It should work for you.

This was the trick! I took it back to the LBS and talked it over with the owner...he said I was all leg, so going up to a 56cm frame would require a very short stem that would make steering a little funky. He put on a longer stem for free and it feels so nice now! Thank you everyone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4680.jpg (102.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-03-15, 01:36 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 2,218 Times in 1,490 Posts
I don't really think a shorter stem affects handling that much. But I do think that's the right size frame for you with the longer stem. There's nothing like a frame that's too big to make you feel like you are riding a tank.