Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Drilling holes for internal brake cable mod

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-20-18, 12:01 AM
scorpiox

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought an used 2014 Ridley aluminum frame road bike to use as my indoor trainer bike, it has external rear brake cable and internal shift cables, none of these mean much to me until I have to mount the bike at the repair stand, since the bike frame is a bit bigger than I normally ride, I end up having to clamp the bike at the top tube because there is not enough seat post left.

The rear brake cable keeps getting pulled enough that it will cause the brake to drag or even lock up, I want to drill 2 holes in the top tube so I can run a new cable housing from brake lever to brake caliper, can't find much info online so I thought this may be a good source

I already contact Ridley bikes twice and my first respond was " we don't recommend drilling into carbon fiber frame " I submitted the same question again and this time I didn't get any reply

Any input will be greatly appreciated, it looks like a simply job but I worry it may compromise the structure integrity of the frame by drilling holes into the top tube

Last edited by scorpiox; 02-20-18 at 12:05 AM. Reason: misspelled
Old 02-20-18, 12:14 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by scorpiox
it looks like a simply job but I worry it may compromise the structure integrity of the frame by drilling holes into the top tube
Well, yeah. There's your answer, isn't it.

If the cabling is only a problem when you put the bike up on the work stand, either a) adjust your seat height when using the work stand or b) get a different work stand, which will be a lot cheaper than a new frame.
Old 02-20-18, 02:25 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Indoor trainer bike?
Brakes?
Work stand?

I think a trip to the LBS is in order before installing drillium.
Old 02-20-18, 04:51 AM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To things

Firstly, you can't ride the bike off the trainer if you do this. Your comprising the structural integrity of the frame. Secondly, you kill the resale value (Customer: 'What's that dot I see there' ... Reminds me of that famous Seinfeld episode about the sweater and the red dot).

I bought an used 2014 Ridley aluminum frame road bike to use as my indoor trainer bike, it has external rear brake cable and internal shift cables, none of these mean much to me until I have to mount the bike at the repair stand, since the bike frame is a bit bigger than I normally ride, I end up having to clamp the bike at the top tube because there is not enough seat post left.

The rear brake cable keeps getting pulled enough that it will cause the brake to drag or even lock up, I want to drill 2 holes in the top tube so I can run a new cable housing from brake lever to brake caliper, can't find much info online so I thought this may be a good source

I already contact Ridley bikes twice and my first respond was " we don't recommend drilling into carbon fiber frame " I submitted the same question again and this time I didn't get any reply

Any input will be greatly appreciated, it looks like a simply job but I worry it may compromise the structure integrity of the frame by drilling holes into the top tube
Old 02-20-18, 05:03 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 81 Posts
Scorpiox, there was a recent thread about Miyatas that had internal cabling, and cracked at the holes because the holes had no reinforcements.

The simplest answer IMO would be to get a quick-release seatpost clamp so you can extend the seatpost when you put it in the workstand. You can also get a small band to clamp around the seatpost at the edge of the seat tube, so you can re-insert the seat post at the same depth.
Old 02-20-18, 05:20 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Indoor trainer bike?
Brakes?
Work stand?

^^^^^^^^^
This

You don't need a rear brake on a trainer.
Old 02-20-18, 06:24 AM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Either
  • Adjust the seat post height when you (rarely if ever) need to put the bike in the work stand; or
  • Remove the (never-needed) rear brake cable.
Old 02-20-18, 10:31 AM
scorpiox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raria
Firstly, you can't ride the bike off the trainer if you do this. Your comprising the structural integrity of the frame. Secondly, you kill the resale value (Customer: 'What's that dot I see there' ... Reminds me of that famous Seinfeld episode about the sweater and the red dot).
Thank you for the input, resale is not my concern here, I have 6 bikes and this was to be a trainer with possible some road trips.
Old 02-20-18, 10:33 AM
scorpiox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Indoor trainer bike?
Brakes?
Work stand?

My first post and didn't take long for the hater to charm in
Great way to welcome forum newbie mate
Old 02-20-18, 10:49 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Athens80
Adjust the seat post height when you (rarely if ever) need to put the bike in the work stand
This
Old 02-20-18, 10:52 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Clamp the seat tube in the stand.

Better than clamping the top tube anyway.
Old 02-20-18, 11:00 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
My first post and didn't take long for the hater to charm in
Great way to welcome forum newbie mate
I didn't take his post as particularly mean-spirited.

My vote is for marking the seat post, then moving it up as req'd in the workstand. How often do you intend to put your trainer bike in the workstand anyway?
Old 02-20-18, 11:04 AM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would recommend AGAINST drilling an Aluminum frame even more than I would against drilling into carbon. Any hole in the wall of AL tubing is just asking to develop cracks and structural failure if not done properly. That's why you don't see many AL frames with internal cable routing, and when you do, it's on higher end frames and often with additional support welded/bonded in place.

If that frame will only ever see life on the trainer and will NEVER see road use again... fine, do it at your own risk and it probably will survive, but I would do it under the assumption that if you drill it the way that I think you're wanting to, it's a dead frame and should never be ridden on the road again.
Old 02-20-18, 11:40 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
You know the disclaimers.

I prefer to drill carbon fibre way more than anything else.
Reason is many/most times it is made with some bladder and the wall thickness varies anyway and it there is lots of extra material built into it. Then, even broken the stuff is tough. An alloy post/part will snap. Steel with bend and CF will crack. Of course enough force and it will snap too, but materials are different and the tolerances are different.
An Extralite (brand) part will hardly ever be modified. It is already perfect. A CF bar I have no issues drilling, but I understand where the stress points are.

Anyway - your bike is on a trainer. Drill. If you do not know where it is safe to drill, don't. But I think you are fine. Alloy will have tighter tolerances and you do want to be careful.

For example - for a cable - I'd drill in the side toward the middle of the head tube. Not a lot is going on there. If the welds are huge, maybe a weld. If they are finely filed -not a weld. If in the TT...careful. A butted tube in the butt/thicker section farther from the weld would be preferred over the thin area. Since alloy is typically not butted, an inc from the weld is good.
You might feel this with the fork / seat post out.

Last edited by Doge; 02-20-18 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-20-18, 11:42 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Take the brakes off. You'll be faster after the weight reduction.
Old 02-20-18, 11:51 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
You know, I never put trainer and the need for brakes together.
Old 02-20-18, 02:38 PM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope

You'll be faster because you can't slow down.
Old 02-20-18, 02:41 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4339 Post(s)
Liked 1,525 Times in 995 Posts
I don't know what work you'd need to do on a trainer bike that can't be done while it is clamped in the trainer.
Old 02-20-18, 06:04 PM
Doge

... drilling holes into the top tube
Sight unseen - I may be off. But drill through the head tube (as per last post). Go around the steer tube, and take it out right before the seat joint.

I assume you can't take it down the down tube under the BB and to the chain stays. Thought I'd mention.

Do you plan on the housing going in side the frame? Think about smaller holes and stops. There are also stops used for this (for bigger holes) so look for them.
Old 02-20-18, 06:11 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Doge
Sight unseen - I may be off. But drill through the head tube (as per last post). Go around the steer tube, and take it out right before the seat joint.

I assume you can't take it down the down tube under the BB and to the chain stays. Thought I'd mention.

Do you plan on the housing going in side the frame? Think about smaller holes and stops. There are also stops used for this (for bigger holes) so look for them.
Are you recommending wrapping the brake housing around the steerer tube so it drags? That seems like a terrible idea.

You have to route the housing through the frame, otherwise the brake wire would cut the frame or steerer over time.
Old 02-20-18, 06:15 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,915 Times in 2,546 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine
Scorpiox, there was a recent thread about Miyatas that had internal cabling, and cracked at the holes because the holes had no reinforcements.

The simplest answer IMO would be to get a quick-release seatpost clamp so you can extend the seatpost when you put it in the workstand. You can also get a small band to clamp around the seatpost at the edge of the seat tube, so you can re-insert the seat post at the same depth.
You beat me to it. I had a c-worker in the '80s who broke a string of those Miyatas at the hole in the back of the top tube. Miyata kept giving him new frames, usually a step up from the last, with the same drillings. A year later he would be waiting for his next one.

Ben
Old 02-20-18, 06:28 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Kontact
Are you recommending wrapping the brake housing around the steerer tube so it drags? That seems like a terrible idea.

You have to route the housing through the frame, otherwise the brake wire would cut the frame or steerer over time.
No. No drag. Like I said, sight unseen is an issue.
A small hole and stop for cable only, or sleeve, not housing in the TT is my suggestion. In several of my frames I could do that. I do similar with Di2 cable, but that is not under tension.

Still, if I read correctly this is a stationary indoor training bike.
Why are brakes needed?
Old 02-20-18, 06:31 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Doge
No. No drag. Like I said, sight unseen is an issue.
A small hole and stop for cable only, or sleeve, not housing in the TT is my suggestion. In several of my frames I could do that. I do similar with Di2 cable, but that is not under tension.
How did you do that without having the bare cable touching the inside of the frame in spots? What kind of stop do you use for an angular exit from the side of the TT?
Old 02-20-18, 06:45 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Kontact
How did you do that without having the bare cable touching the inside of the frame in spots? What kind of stop do you use for an angular exit from the side of the TT?
Drill on the side. The steer tube sometimes has 5mm+ clearance. If you keep the cable in the sleeve, it does not matter if it touches a side, or even bends a reasonable amount.
The exit, I explained has after market stops. I think you have seen them. I can look if needed.
Old 02-20-18, 10:04 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I would drill the top tube in a similar place to where they usually are. Probably close to where the existing rear brake cable stops are. Then with a pin punch or even just the parallel shank of the drill lever the holes a bit so the housing can enter at the appropriate angle more easily. Then run a continuous brake housing from lever to frame. An advantage of this is that your sweat won't get into the brake cable and corrode it.
If you were worried about structural integrity you could fix the housing to the outside of the top tube by other means and not drill it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.