Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

RIP Dirt Rag

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

RIP Dirt Rag

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-20, 03:16 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
RIP Dirt Rag

Looks like Dirt Rag is shuttering its doors. From their FB page

:
It is with a heavy heart that we’re writing to say, that after 30 years of publishing, Dirt Rag is shutting its doors and ceasing all operations, including the website and Dirt Fest.

The reasons are myriad, but the bottom line is that the Dirt Rag print magazine, Dirt Rag website, and Dirt Fest festivals were all integral to our bottom line and that no part of our operation could survive without the others. Hence, all operations are shutting down.

Thanks to everyone who helped keep the lights on for over three decades by supporting our special brand of off-beat journalism and our killer events. Here’s to the legacy of the last 30 years, to the future of our sport, and to every one of you that came along for the ride.

Sincerely,
Maurice and the entire Dirt Rag staff
Makes me sad. DR was my favorite MTB mag, although I enjoyed it less after they spun off Bicycle Times with all the non-mtb content. Now both DR and BT are gone. What a shame.
Old 02-03-20, 08:44 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Dirt Fest gone too

yikes
Old 02-04-20, 02:14 PM
Riv-Lantis

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check SS, Surly Straggler, Surly Steamroller fixed, Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Likely a casualty of youtube and other online content. GMBN/GCN and the like are getting to be my main sources of bike goodness.
Old 02-04-20, 02:40 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
yeah, we've been talking about both on my other forum
not much commitment now to single sources or even events
Old 02-04-20, 06:23 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Mountain bike action is about all that’s left. I do like Kev Central. I can’t get into GMBN for some reason.
Old 02-04-20, 09:31 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
This is sad. Motorcycle Consumer New also just went away. My two favorites gone.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 02-05-20, 06:41 AM
Riv-Lantis

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check SS, Surly Straggler, Surly Steamroller fixed, Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Mountain bike action is about all that’s left. I do like Kev Central. I can’t get into GMBN for some reason.
I can totally get where you're coming from with GMBN. I like all of their presenters and I think they have good content. I'm not much of a tech guy, since I like my bikes to be as simple and reliable to maintain as I can get them. Think Surly Karate Monkey more than some 15 pivot carbon enduro bike.
Where I think they shine are their epic rides they film. I can't get out to ride Patagonia or some other mutli-day trip in an exotic location, so the next best thing is watching a good edit of someone else way more skilled than I am get out there.
I do wish they'd cover more racing, especially either live or at least a wrap-up that includes video of the major races.
Likes For Riv-Lantis:
Old 02-05-20, 10:07 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Did "Dirt Rag" have some kind of drug subculture thing going?? I bought the magazines but also thought they were a bit odd as well.
Old 02-05-20, 04:50 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Did "Dirt Rag" have some kind of drug subculture thing going?? I bought the magazines but also thought they were a bit odd as well.
Well they made no secret of their love of good beer, and there was usually a page dedicated to that. But that is just part of mountain bike culture.
As far as pot goes... there were some occasional references to it, but not a "drug culture" by any stretch, IMO. There was a pot brownie recipe in there one time (or something like that), but this was at a time when that was legal in many states. I would not surprise me at all if a lot of them have partaken for years, but I don't think it made its way explicitly into the pages.
Old 02-05-20, 08:01 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

This could be another thread but I still don’t get why mountain biking and beer are generally associated together.
Old 02-05-20, 09:54 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

This could be another thread but I still don’t get why mountain biking and beer are generally associated together.
I don’t know, but beer (and partying in general) has been part of the culture everywhere I’ve been. Probably has to do with the general irreverence of the culture and a sense of not taking itself too seriously. The MTB clubs I have been associated with usually have gatherings at breweries, and are sometimes even sponsored by them.
Old 02-06-20, 06:04 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Mountain bike beer stuff needs to quit being a trend.
Old 02-06-20, 09:45 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Perhaps beer sponsorship of races is the reason for the trend.
Old 02-06-20, 10:20 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I understand there's a connection between beer and mountain biking, so much so that we now have mountain biking beer.
Old 02-06-20, 11:21 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by Gconan
Perhaps beer sponsorship of races is the reason for the trend.
that’s true

energy drinks/beer/tobacco sponsor so many sports many of us enjoy
Old 02-06-20, 12:41 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Mountain bike beer stuff needs to quit being a trend.
Not if I can help it Besides, its not beer in general, it is craft beer (with the exception of a few hipster interlopers that think PBR is "ironic").

And I do not think beer and tobacco should ever, EVER be lumped together.

But if it makes you feel any better, as both mtb and craft beer have become mainstream and, the connection is far less significant. Just take a look at pretty much any other MTB mag. You see much beer in there?

Back when mtb and craft beer were both counter culture affairs, the fact that there was intersectionality of interest made it a part of the culture. Now that MTB and craft beer are far more mainstream and accessible, the connection is less meaningful. Also, the folks that made up MTB culture 25 years ago are a different lot than the ones coming on board now. It is no longer a counter-culture, Everything about the sport is more gentrified, polished, and presentable to the general public now (for better and for worse).
Old 02-06-20, 12:49 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Riveting
I understand there's a connection between beer and mountain biking, so much so that we now have mountain biking beer.
And New Belgium Fat Tire has been around since at least 2004 (that's when I first had it).

The club where I am now gets some support from a local Brewing Company. The came out with a Pale Ale a few years back, and a certain amount of the profits went to trail projects. A trail got named after the beer.
Old 02-06-20, 12:55 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
In the 90's during my drinking days I has subscriptions to DR and all the others. Every night I would sit on my couch, fire up my home stereo like everyone had, drink a 6 pack and just read the magazines. In the early 2000's when I moved I had boxes of at least 100 mountain bike magazines and I threw them all away. I regret that now.

Bike was actually my favorite.

Last edited by Lazyass; 02-06-20 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-06-20, 01:06 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Not if I can help it Besides, its not beer in general, it is craft beer (with the exception of a few hipster interlopers that think PBR is "ironic").

And I do not think beer and tobacco should ever, EVER be lumped together.

But if it makes you feel any better, as both mtb and craft beer have become mainstream and, the connection is far less significant. Just take a look at pretty much any other MTB mag. You see much beer in there?

Back when mtb and craft beer were both counter culture affairs, the fact that there was intersectionality of interest made it a part of the culture. Now that MTB and craft beer are far more mainstream and accessible, the connection is less meaningful. Also, the folks that made up MTB culture 25 years ago are a different lot than the ones coming on board now. It is no longer a counter-culture, Everything about the sport is more gentrified, polished, and presentable to the general public now (for better and for worse).
I know a group of 20 ish year old mtb riders who hate the beer culture of biking in the area. This group of kids have their act together. Refreshing in fact to see.
Old 02-06-20, 01:16 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I know a group of 20 ish year old mtb riders who hate the beer culture of biking in the area. This group of kids have their act together. Refreshing in fact to see.
Whatever floats their boat.

But I think it is a bit much to call it a "beer culture". We are not talking about Animal House and beer bongs.

Last edited by Kapusta; 02-06-20 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-06-20, 01:53 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
In the 90's during my drinking days I has subscriptions to DR and all the others. Every night I would sit on my couch, fire up my home stereo like everyone had, drink a 6 pack and just read the magazines. In the early 2000's when I moved I had boxes of at least 100 mountain bike magazines and I threw them all away. I regret that now.

Bike was actually my favorite.

Sad to see DR go -- quirky, but always entertaining. I bought a lot of issues of DR over the years, but Bike was always my favourite too, along with Singletrack (UK).

Bike has now been reduced to a quarterly under its new owners, and the staff concentrates more on producing web content. Even the quarterly issues (I subscribe) are just a shadow of what Bike once was, in terms of editorial content. Sad.

Fortunately, another quarterly -- Freehub -- has been improving and expanding. Brice Minnigh, formerly with Bike and an excellent editor and feature writer, is in charge. We'll see if it survives.
Old 02-06-20, 02:03 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Kapusta
And New Belgium Fat Tire has been around since at least 2004 (that's when I first had it).

The club where I am now gets some support from a local Brewing Company. The came out with a Pale Ale a few years back, and a certain amount of the profits went to trail projects. A trail got named after the beer.
And this just happened in my town: https://www.tompkinsweekly.com/stori...ith-bikes,3473
Old 02-07-20, 05:59 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Whatever pays the bills I guess (at the end of the day).
Old 02-07-20, 09:11 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
One could drink iced coffee or lemonade post ride too. All good.
Old 02-07-20, 09:13 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
Because a good craft beer tastes good at the end of a ride. And it's not only biking. Fly Fishing (which I do a lot of also) and beer are associated together in circle of those who fly fish. And for the same reason. At the end of a 8-10 hour day of fishing a beer tastes wonderful. Also the ski crowd (downhill or XC) is the same.

During the summer a group of us locals in my town ride out of the local brewery parking lot. We road ride for ~25 miles then head into the brewery for a beer afterwards. Couple of the other breweries in the next town over have bike racks out front for people.

A Beer Lover's Guide to Fly Fishing - All About Beer

Crafting Flies and Craft Beer a Perfect Match ? Northland Outdoors

https://www.craftbeer.com/craft-beer...-and-pale-ales

https://blog.vailvalleyanglers.com/f...ter-the-hatch/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.