Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help With Tubulars

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help With Tubulars

Old 02-05-20, 09:21 AM
cqlink 

Bikes: '72 Paramount 15-9, '74 Schwinn Paramount P10-9, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, 1983 Schwinn Voyageur SP,17 Motobecane Cafe Noir, 1970 Raleigh Competition Tourist, 1999 Rans V-Rex

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 45 Posts
Help With Tubulars

Restoring a '72 PX-10. Wheels are Mavic Montlery. Appear to be Championnat du Monde but the red labels are long gone. There's a small "0372" next to the "Made in France' stamp on the rim.

Rims appear to be 700 x 20mm (W).

First time with tubulars and want to see what all the fuss is about. Plus, I believe the wheels are period correct for the bike.

Can anyone point me to a link regarding how to select and mount the tires? I know I'll need tape and glue but that's the extent of my knowledge here.

Thanks.
Old 02-05-20, 09:59 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Plenty of videos on YouTube and advice here on the forum.
I have been using tubs for decades.
I don't bother preglueng or stretching the tyres (tho that does help) or waiting 24 hrs
Glue on the rim ,pump the tyre a bit , get it on the rim as square as i can. Pressurise fully and ride it. The tyre straightens itself with rolling weight and tyre pressure.
I brush the glue on evenly over the rim. It doesn't take a lot. I don't clean of the old glue.
You want piece of mind. Try and remove the tyre after you have glued it and pressurised it. Try hard.
I don't go downs hills at a hundred kph.
But I have done it this way for nearly forty years.
It's easy
Old 02-05-20, 10:13 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
I've been thinking of using tubular tires as well and I'm considering using double sided tape.

https://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/products/carogna/

https://www.tufo.com/en/accessories/...tubular-tyres/
Old 02-05-20, 11:45 AM
cadillacmike68
Campy NR / SR forever

Bikes: 1977-78 Raleigh Professional - bought new, 1987 Shogun 400 (for the lady)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I've been riding tubs since 1977. Not too much glue. That stuff is sticky. I glued a dorm mates door with it once. They were Not amused.

Blamester has it right on the procedure. They will not roll off if glued right.

You don't have to remove the old glue until it starts to build up like tammy fay baker's makeup.

Tape - I don't know it might not be as strong and adds weight.

I have three sets of Mavic Championnat du Monde Professionnel rims, 1977-78 era, but Mavic was making the plain version (Monthlrey and non Professionnel labeled Championnat diu Monde ) for a few years prior, so they're fine on a 72. The "Professionnel" were labeled for the Raleigh Pro MK v starting in 1977 and had smooth braking surfaces vs serrated surfaces on the others.

Last edited by cadillacmike68; 02-05-20 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-05-20, 12:25 PM
NatusEstInSuht

Bikes: 1970's Piasentin Super Vitus 971, 1979 Carlton Professional, 2005 Trek 5000, 2011 Niner EMD, 2018 Argon 18 XRoad, 1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 55 Posts
I use Tufo tubular rim tape. Dead easy to mount a tire and I've never had issues with rim separation. I'm not going back to using glue. It's too messy. It takes too long and I don't notice any discernible benefits.

Here's a link to Tufo's YouTube site. They have some good instructional videos on how to mount a tubular tire to the rim.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfU...iTZOMmw/videos
Likes For NatusEstInSuht:
Old 02-05-20, 01:31 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
If you want to see what the fuss is about, go weight-weenie by using glue, and spend +/- $100 per tire. However, most of the fuss can be had with $25 tires. I do not recommend Continental tires for a first goround as they are too tight/hard to mount even when stretched. Have fun. Your PX-10 deserves tubulars.
Old 02-05-20, 01:55 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
Originally Posted by NatusEstInSuht
I use Tufo tubular rim tape. Dead easy to mount a tire and I've never had issues with rim separation. I'm not going back to using glue. It's too messy. It takes too long and I don't notice any discernible benefits.

Here's a link to Tufo's YouTube site. They have some good instructional videos on how to mount a tubular tire to the rim.

This changes things for me. I like the way tubulars ride. I used them for racing (way back when), but stayed away for all other riding. The installation with the tape looks simple. I like that the video is not slick with a bunch of over emphasized selling points. Since there is no talking, it works in any language. The guy that installs the tire is not even trying to work fast or being too fussy either.

I also like that this company, Tufo, is committed to tubular tires. I am going to have to look for a set of rims, and hubs.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 02-05-20, 02:17 PM
cqlink 

Bikes: '72 Paramount 15-9, '74 Schwinn Paramount P10-9, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, 1983 Schwinn Voyageur SP,17 Motobecane Cafe Noir, 1970 Raleigh Competition Tourist, 1999 Rans V-Rex

Originally Posted by NatusEstInSuht

Damn. That looks too easy.
Old 02-05-20, 02:40 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,532 Posts
Tubular Tire Mounting Cement Gluing Adhesion by Yellow Jersey; Thoughts on a Front Wheel

also look at totally tubular in the stick section

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-05-20, 02:48 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Good on you for staying with tubulars on that PX-10.

Firstly- Here's an appropriately named 'sticky thread' right here on the forum.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...y-tubular.html

As for Tufo tubulars, the upper line are quite different vs. the budget offerings but are very reliable and rarely a blem out of the wrapper.

Budget Tufo's - Don't expect the fine ride or fast roller (comparative speaking) but if you need a training tubular or perhaps race in a multi-sport / tri event and want to finish minimizing puncture, go for it. The logo is awful for a vintage bike, but what the heck...

(BTW: Regarding Tufo, do read carefully sellers descriptions. There are Tufo tubulars FOR CLINCHERS! Do not use that type for tubular rims. Quite often I come across sellers not accurately stating application nor correct model listing.)

That said, one can always find NOS premium vintage tubulars on eBay. Be frugal and you might be surprised that some cost less than brand new production cheapo's. Italian produced or made in Thailand rubber is the better option.

Other budget cheapo for new production in my pick is Panaracer Practice 270. One shouldn't expect to pay more than $27 usd.

If you want to spoil yourself and plush riding PX-10, go spend a months worth of duck ransom for fine new FMB from France.
Old 02-05-20, 03:10 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

I did see talk of using tape in the tubular sticky section and dismissed it as, "that's not the way to do it". "it's a newbe hack". This fresh thread had me look at the link provided and changed my mind.

Thanks also for the link to Yellow Jersey. "That's the way to do it" when using glue. It is not complicated either.

I do see some small advantages to tape. 1. I can roll the tire onto the rim, 2. I can adjust the tire once on the rim more easily, 3. My hands won't get sticky (I think, we'll see).

The advantage to glue is it is lower cost and it has about a century of good performance.

Last edited by Velo Mule; 02-05-20 at 06:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-05-20, 04:29 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
They are an acquired taste, I had my first back in 1979 and have loved them since. I use either Continental or Vittoria on my Tommasini and Medici rides.

I prefer the glued method, probably just not wanting to switch from what has served me well for so long, but friends using the tape are happy with it also. I've never rolled a tubular tire, thankfully, but I take my time when I am gluing up a set.

The YouTube video linked above is a good resource, and there are several others, including Continental's own batch. As said, that Pug deserves a set.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-05-20, 09:27 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Tape.
Clean.
Fast.
Reliable.
Pretty.
Tape.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 02-06-20, 07:43 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict

As for Tufo tubulars, the upper line are quite different vs. the budget offerings but are very reliable and rarely a blem out of the wrapper.

Budget Tufo's - Don't expect the fine ride or fast roller (comparative speaking) but if you need a training tubular or perhaps race in a multi-sport / tri event and want to finish minimizing puncture, go for it. The logo is awful for a vintage bike, but what the heck...

(BTW: Regarding Tufo, do read carefully sellers descriptions. There are Tufo tubulars FOR CLINCHERS! Do not use that type for tubular rims. Quite often I come across sellers not accurately stating application nor correct model listing.)

That said, one can always find NOS premium vintage tubulars on eBay. Be frugal and you might be surprised that some cost less than brand new production cheapo's. Italian produced or made in Thailand rubber is the better option.

Other budget cheapo for new production in my pick is Panaracer Practice 270. One shouldn't expect to pay more than $27 usd.

If you want to spoil yourself and plush riding PX-10, go spend a months worth of duck ransom for fine new FMB from France.
I've also noticed ebay sellers not able to or interested in distinguishing between tubulars and open tubulars. It's hard to confirm what you are going to get. Ask the seller, yes, of course, but if the seller is not careful, can you trust what they say? Is the Parigi-Roubaix tubular that is on offer open, or not? Challenge used the name for both styles. Does it say "open tubular," but the seller didn't think the word "open" was important? And if the picture was swiped from another posting or a catalog, what then?
Old 02-07-20, 07:33 AM
cqlink 

Originally Posted by crank_addict

Thanks! As mentioned, I'm going tubular but some of them are $$$. Looking for a "budget" pair that rides fairly well in the opinion of forum members. Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 02-07-20, 08:17 AM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by cqlink
Thanks! As mentioned, I'm going tubular but some of them are $$$. Looking for a "budget" pair that rides fairly well in the opinion of forum members. Any suggestions are welcome.
If you are not in a hurry, I have a bunch of tubulars to choose from back in MI. I’ll be back in late April.
Old 02-07-20, 08:20 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Here is a pic of the rims on my Trek 760. They are ‘72 Mavic with Normandy hubs. I glued Tufo S33 Pro 20mm tires on it. They flat out stinkin’ ZIP!

Old 02-07-20, 08:33 AM
Velo Mule

Wait a minute. I got all caught up in how easy it is to install a tubular with tape. What happens when you replace the tire? Do you have to remove the old tape? How hard is that? How do you remove it? Does it just peel off? That's what I would like to see a video on to get me over the "hump".
Old 02-07-20, 09:23 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Wait a minute. I got all caught up in how easy it is to install a tubular with tape. What happens when you replace the tire? Do you have to remove the old tape? How hard is that? How do you remove it? Does it just peel off? That's what I would like to see a video on to get me over the "hump".
I tried it once. It was bxxxxxd to get off.
You could always leave a spot free of tape to get a start.
Likes For blamester:
Old 02-07-20, 09:53 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by blamester
I tried it once. It was bxxxxxd to get off.
You could always leave a spot free of tape to get a start.
Correct. Whether using tape or glue, leave a 3” or so unstuck gap opposite the valve stem for easy index and starter for removal, especially on the fly, out and about.
Old 02-07-20, 10:10 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7338 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,423 Posts
Originally Posted by cqlink
I know I'll need tape and glue but that's the extent of my knowledge here.

Thanks.
No, you need tape or glue. One or the other but not both.

I see someone here rides with the glue still wet. That's a surprise to me.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-07-20, 10:51 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
I, fairly recently, did the "I'm gonna try tubulars" thing. I researched and experimented a bit. This is what I found works best for me...

Use tape and to heck with glue (although I do get happy when I use glue). Tape is easy, clean and extremely forgiving during installation.

Stretch your tubular by fitting it onto a rim and leave it there for a couple of days. Then remove the tubulal.

Ensuring that the rim is clean, apply the tape, making careful effort to center it. Once the tape is installed, but without the outer sticky portion revealed (leave the protective cover on the outer surface tape on for now)' Leave the protective tape ends sticking out each side of the tire/rim fit.

Install the tubular and do your best to get it right in the middle of the wheel rim. Remember, the tubular is not stuck into place yet. That makes it easy to center. When satisfied, carefully pull the protective tape out, pump up the tire to full pressure plus a bit and let it sit for a while. I give it a day at least but not sure if doing so is important.

When done, the tire should be well adhered to the rim, running true to center and your hands are clean. As for what to do when you flat out - don't know. Has not happened yet.

In closing, I run tubulars only on period and model correct bike, with one exception. I gave up on the costly tubular in favor of clinchers for my Legnano which is not a wall art bike. It sees a lot of use...
Old 02-07-20, 10:57 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Does anyone have actual data comparing the adhesion of tape vs glue?

AFAIK the pros still use glue, and it might be assumed from that that glue is a stronger bond. I've never quite grown up and still like to go fast on descents. I trust glue, admittedly perhaps because I grew up with and always used it. It's a little hard for me to see what the advantage of tape is. Less messy I suppose. To me that is a non issue. However, if the adhesion of tape is just as good or better, why not. More expensive is suppose, and more time consuming if you have to remove and replace whenever you flat or get a new tire.

I personally would be scared to leave an unglued/untaped section of a tire. I've never done that nor would I.
Old 02-07-20, 11:24 AM
cqlink 

Originally Posted by jiangshi
If you are not in a hurry, I have a bunch of tubulars to choose from back in MI. I’ll be back in late April.
No hurry. Thanks!
Old 02-07-20, 11:27 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
It seems to be a constant argument against tubulars. Do further research and its a great day to yet enjoy them.

With a little delicate fingering of your smart phone, the deals are galore, quality tubulars OFTEN less than cheap clinchers.

Tape, glues and related.
This is another area where modern advancements have GREATLY improved vs old days goop tubulars.

For one thing, there are fast set glues, some that easily clean any excess and cured on the outer rim. Various tapes ~ track or road and for exclusive carbon or aluminum rims. High temp use applications for rims that heat up or cook and stored in a car.

Figure out your type of riding and suit the tire and means of tape or glue.
Likes For crank_addict:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.