Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Height Lost Over Aging

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Height Lost Over Aging

Old 02-20-20, 05:35 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Quoth Steven Wright.
One of my favorite comedians. Very underrated imho.
Old 02-20-20, 10:00 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 225 Posts
I would encourage the OP to keep up with core exercises and maybe get one of those inversion tables. I think it would have helped me. I have bad scoliosis and went from 6' in HS to 5' 10" 35 years later. I felt it happen almost at once though. In a short amount of time my clothes did fit the same. The real blow to my morale came when I was at the Dr. and the nurse asked my height. When I said 6' she was skeptical. A measurement confirmed the sad truth. Xray are depressing. My spine looks like a spiral staircase. I used to have Lemond bikes, but the top tube length is a bit too stretched out for me. However, I have long arms and legs and can still ride 56 - 58 frames. I think next year I will get the operation to straighten my spine out. I'll have to wonder if my current bikes will fit after that.
Old 02-20-20, 12:07 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Aging sucks! I haven't lost any height but I have lost flexibility. So while I can still ride all my old bicycles without any change in saddle position, the favourite riders have trended towards slightly shorter stems with higher positions. Brifters are also a lot more comfortable than down tube shifters and dual pivot brakes give good braking, despite diminishing grip strength. Indexing solves the worries about being accused of "grinding coffee" when the hearing has deteriorated from decades of wind noise. I won't even get into the gearing changes. However, the biggest inconvenience is the deterioration in eyesight. I can't read my bicycle computer without reading glasses, which means I can't wear sunglasses unless they're those ugly grandpa style or I pony up the big bucks for prescription. Ugh, I may have to buy a helmet visor! Or maybe I could develop a magnifying lens to fit over bicycle computers. Hmmm.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 02-20-20, 01:18 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate
I think next year I will get the operation to straighten my spine out. I'll have to wonder if my current bikes will fit after that.
Based on what a friend of mine went through having T3-L2 fused (or braced, or whatever that steel rod procedure is), you may want to expect having limited ROM leaning forward. He was able to fit his old bikes but switched to shorter, taller stem and straight bars, had to ditch the drops. Eventually just switched to riding hybrid/ATB/MTB frames.

Originally Posted by T-Mar
However, the biggest inconvenience is the deterioration in eyesight. I can't read my bicycle computer without reading glasses ... maybe I could develop a magnifying lens to fit over bicycle computers. Hmmm.
Can't help but think someone must make a magnifying adhesive you can just stick onto the face, sort of like these bifocal adhesives.

https://www.amazon.com/Hydrotac-Bifo...dp/B00GHRKWFI/

Old 02-20-20, 01:24 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
Based on what a friend of mine went through having T3-L2 fused (or braced, or whatever that steel rod procedure is), you may want to expect having limited ROM leaning forward. He was able to fit his old bikes but switched to shorter, taller stem and straight bars, had to ditch the drops. Eventually just switched to riding hybrid/ATB/MTB frames.
I'm hoping that is not the case, but would be something to discuss with my doctor. I'd hate to give up cycling like I do. I've been on the fence about it and my doctor has been reluctant to do the surgery. However, I've recently been watching the problems of an older worker who also has bad back problems, but did nothing about it. Now she is too old and has to live with the pain and lack of mobility. I'm worried that might be me in the future.
Old 02-20-20, 06:51 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Aging sucks! I haven't lost any height but I have lost flexibility. So while I can still ride all my old bicycles without any change in saddle position, the favourite riders have trended towards slightly shorter stems with higher positions. Brifters are also a lot more comfortable than down tube shifters and dual pivot brakes give good braking, despite diminishing grip strength. Indexing solves the worries about being accused of "grinding coffee" when the hearing has deteriorated from decades of wind noise. I won't even get into the gearing changes. However, the biggest inconvenience is the deterioration in eyesight. I can't read my bicycle computer without reading glasses, which means I can't wear sunglasses unless they're those ugly grandpa style or I pony up the big bucks for prescription. Ugh, I may have to buy a helmet visor! Or maybe I could develop a magnifying lens to fit over bicycle computers. Hmmm.
Y'know brother, I think you should just give all your bikes to me. I'll buy you a decent massage and a spa visit. Relax knowing that your bikes will be well-loved and cared-for.
Old 02-20-20, 07:35 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
However, the biggest inconvenience is the deterioration in eyesight. I can't read my bicycle computer without reading glasses, which means I can't wear sunglasses unless they're those ugly grandpa style or I pony up the big bucks for prescription. Ugh, I may have to buy a helmet visor! Or maybe I could develop a magnifying lens to fit over bicycle computers. Hmmm.
I've been wearing progressive bifocals for years now. I can easily see anything on the handlebar in close focus with them. I originally had a sunclip made to fit these glasses, but the sunclip broke and a replacement is expensive. So I opted for the other extreme, budget-wise. The glasses are small enough that I can wear those cheap two-dollar Harbor Freight sunglasses over them. A little clunky/Fred-esque, and the shades get scratched just by looking at them the wrong way. But at two bucks a pop, I buy them in quantities, and if I lose a pair, or one gets run over by a car after falling out of my pocket (happened twice so far), fah.
Old 02-21-20, 10:20 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
Y'know brother, I think you should just give all your bikes to me. I'll buy you a decent massage and a spa visit. Relax knowing that your bikes will be well-loved and cared-for.
The fishing gear goes before the bicycle gear. Got $75K?
Old 02-21-20, 11:20 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
I’ve had very bad eyesight all my life, so aging just makes that pre-existing condition worse. 🙄 For glasses, just pony up the extra money, for transition lenses, that get darker as you need them. Most insurance covers them, with a possible extra charge out of pocket, for the transition lenses. But it’s so worth it, when you don’t have to worry about losing your shades, or forgetting where you stashed them. 🤔😉
Old 02-21-20, 07:54 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
I’ve had very bad eyesight all my life, so aging just makes that pre-existing condition worse. 🙄 For glasses, just pony up the extra money, for transition lenses, that get darker as you need them. Most insurance covers them, with a possible extra charge out of pocket, for the transition lenses. But it’s so worth it, when you don’t have to worry about losing your shades, or forgetting where you stashed them. 🤔😉
I had the Photo-Sun (darker than Photo-Gray) photo-chromatic prescription lenses back in high school 45+ years ago when I was taking flying lessons to combat glare... Of course in 'oversized' aviator frames. Those never got really totally clear, even in the dark, but I got used to them. People who didn't know that I was an aspiring pilot thought that I was some sort of a 'stoner'... (cue the 'Hyde' character in That '70s Show...). Nope, I was Eagle Scout, US Air Force Academy Selectee... On the straight and narrow...
Old 02-21-20, 08:03 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
I had those Photo-Suns as well, but only about 42 years ago. Aviators, of course, each lens the size of a semi windshield. And everyone knew I wasn't a scout or aspiring pilot, so I got the "Hyde" treatment.
Old 02-21-20, 08:06 PM
Cougrrcj

Now I've gotta try to find a pic of me wearing the PhotoSuns...

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 02-21-20 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-21-20, 08:17 PM
Cougrrcj

BTW, after getting Lasik almost 20 years ago, I have to ask 'Why did I wait so long'?

Going back that 45+ years, my Optometrist (who sat on Ohio's Board of Optometry) told me, when I had inquired about RK (Radial Karactotomy) in the '70s told me to wait - that there was better stuff coming. He was right! Now almost 20 years after my Lasik correction procedures, I'm still 20/20 (I was 20/15 after the six-month-later 'fine-tuning' second procedure)

Now at 62 years old, yes, I need discount-store 'readers' for close vision, but weighed against 20+ years of perfect distance vision? I wore glasses for 30+ years of nearsightedness - since Second Grade for crissakes!!!

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 02-21-20 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-21-20, 08:50 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
"Height lost over aging" could be the title to a very good song. I'm thinking a lot of Fmaj7 in that one.

It wouldn't be so attractive as the name of a cover band full of elderly guys ... unless they were really, really good.
Old 02-21-20, 09:27 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
People who didn't know that I was an aspiring pilot thought that I was some sort of a 'stoner'... (cue the 'Hyde' character in That '70s Show...). Nope, I was Eagle Scout, US Air Force Academy Selectee... On the straight and narrow...
My “Scout” days ended in 5th or 6th grade, when I tried to graduate from being a Webelos to a full-fledged Boy Scout. I had all the badges & requirements, but wasn’t aware of the minimum age. I would have had to wait almost 3 years, and got frustrated & quit. 🙄 For better or worse, I DID turn out a lot like Hyde. 😎✌️😎 😁😉
Old 02-21-20, 09:39 PM
Cougrrcj

minimum age was 11yrs old to be a Boy Scout... I made Eagle by 15.
Old 02-24-20, 12:12 PM
kastigar

Bikes: Trek 7.2FX and a Trek 720, hybrid modified for road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a step-thru bike. It's not my height that's a problem. It's my width!
Old 02-24-20, 12:21 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWonder
I was wondering if any of you old timers have any experience losing height over time or not fitting your favourite frame? The reason I ask is because I have a wonderful touring bike one size larger than what I would normally ride, but it's still great and comfortable. I'm early 20s, 5'10, and the bike is a 60cm with a 58 top tube from seat tube to head tube.

I haven't had any issues with sizing or fit. Normally I would ride a 57-58cm frame.

Anywho, I have this fear that at some point the frame might not fit me anymore, which would then lead me to having to trade the frame with a fellow C&V member for the desired 57cm.

Have any of you experienced not fitting on a frame as you age?
Good Grief! Why are you worrying about this now? Yes, it's not all uncommon to get a little shorter as you age...I have...at 68, same size frame works for me as did 20 years ago...but even if this will become an issue, you've got DECADES before it will.
Old 02-24-20, 12:28 PM
dkatz1

Originally Posted by Dfrost
Thanks for the proper medical explanation, John.

I lost about 1-1/2” in height during my 50’s (70 YO now). Thankfully the ‘79 Miyata 912 purchased new back then still fits, albeit with a taller and shorter reach stem. Notably, I’m very long-legged for my now 72” height, and that 912 is a 25”/62cm frame. So if there’d been leg length loss, I certainly would have noticed.

The other surprising physical change was my shoe size, or at least fit, changing rather suddenly at age 65. I’d been very happy with the same pair of Sidi Dominators for 14 years, with of Shoe Goo and other methods over the years to rebuild worn soles. Riding over those years included several multi-week tours and plenty of long (50+ mile) rides. Then when training for the 2015 200-mile Seattle-to-Portland (2 days for me) ride, my feet decided to become quite painful on anything longer than 40 miles. Apparently my feet, already more squarish than many, spread out below the metatarsal area, necessitating a wider and longer toe box.
All my life I've had a hard time with shoes...have weird shaped feet...by the time I get one that's wide and deep enough for my (hammer) toes, the heel is too loose.
In the last 8 years or so, it's gotten much worse, as my arches finished collapsing, making it even more difficult to get shoes that fit.
Old 02-24-20, 12:35 PM
dkatz1

Originally Posted by dirtman
I'm just shy of 64, when I was 18 I rode a 63cm frame, now that I'm older, I lost only about 1/2" of height but it was early on in life due to a crash. (Spine compression in a rather minor helicopter crash).
I find two issues 'fitting' on a bike these days, especially since I'm getting back into it again after about 18 years of not riding.
I have reach issues, leg extension issues, and back issues that prevent me from riding a bike with dt shifters, or drop bars for that matter. My knees are bad, have been for years, riding a bike that doesn't give me full leg extension leaves me in pain after riding, as does riding in a drop bar position. Its a combination of my gut getting in the way and the fact that I can't breath properly bent over combined with back pain.
Most of my road bikes have been downsized to a 57cm frame but with taller stems and taller seat posts. This was mostly for reach issues. I run all straight bars now.
I also can't ride as long as I used to because the road shock starts to cause back pain.
As I get older, having worked with my hands all my life, my hands also have issues holding the bars in one position for very long. My hand fall asleep on even short rides if I don't keep moving positions. Cold weather makes all my joints stiff, I move slower these days. I also don't have the same natural balance I used to have. Some of that is likely due to loss of some hearing and vision over the years. I noticed the biggest declines physically in my mid 40's, and its been a steady downhill slope since then. A broken foot, and broken leg in '07 due to a fall, and a knee injury again to the same leg in '17 has only made for more issues over the year. three hernia surgeries two years ago, and one on the way, lung and breathing issues from a bad respiratory infection in '15 have taken their toll as well.
Most of the guys I rode with over the years are gone, buried years ago, most were older, others just didn't survive to get old. Car accidents, cancer, falls, illness, physical injury all take a toll as you age. Somethings you get past, others you learn to live with. When I was younger, I never figured I'd live this long. I never once pictured my self old with gray hair. I fully expected not to make it much past 35 when I was younger and I lived that way. I'm paying for it now. Having to buy a smaller or larger bike as you get older is a non issue compared to the other things life throws at you.
Sounds like you have carpal tunnel syndrome in your hands....that can be corred via surgery....I ahd both hands done 16 years ago (several months apart)...it worked. Though: it's RETURNING in one of my hands....
Got a lot of your maladys, in varying degrees...
Aside from getting shorter...a car wreck (1972) ended up leaving (afte 65 freakin days in traction---was in a head on collision, broke and shattered femur in theree places) one leg an inch and a quarter shorter than the other.
I can't ride drop handle bard because: my arthritic hands (carpal tunnel surgery doesn't do anything for arthritis) can't really work the brakes.
Old 02-24-20, 12:51 PM
dkatz1

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
"Height lost over aging" could be the title to a very good song. I'm thinking a lot of Fmaj7 in that one.

It wouldn't be so attractive as the name of a cover band full of elderly guys ... unless they were really, really good.
Steven King and some of his writer friends (I forget who) had a rock band they called "the Rock Bottom remainders" (which is where King's books belong). Hack writers, good band name. I bet they sounded awful.
Old 02-24-20, 01:07 PM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Who are you calling old timer? ;-)

how long do plan to ride this bike?

My dad is 87, he might have trouble clearing the top tube on any bike. ;-)

I’m closing on 60. I stopped riding a 50 cm frameset 15 years ago. Now, i switch off riding 2 different 52 cm framesets because on the recommendation of my bike fitter friend. 52cm was simply a much better fit. Clearing the top tube isn’t an issue either way.

I’m not an md, but spinal compression with age is real. I haven’t heard much about leg compression. So you should be safe standing over your touring bike for decades.
Old 02-24-20, 01:14 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I used to ride a 23" or ~57cm frames on vintage Fuji and Peugeot bikes with 27" wheels. The Fuji If began to feel too large (mainly standover height) when I got back into more regular cycling after retirement. Couple that with the 27" wheels WITHOUT hook bead rims, it was getting harder to find good tires< i figured 700c would help a bit also. I bought a new steel framed bike with a sized 55cm frame and a moderately sloping top tube. The big bike shops kept nudging me to a 52-53cm frame, but I felt cramped with my head too far forward. Finally a shop said to come in with my current (old) bike, saw the level height saddle and handlebars, and immediately said a 55 was more appropriate. They said to come back and they could do a stem swap if I needed a bit more or less, but it was dead on..

I had lost a small amount of leg length due to flat(ter) feet and knee wear, but mainly in the torso from back and disk wear. I went from 5'9.5" at 23 (when I bought the Fuji) to 5"8" at age 63. Periods of sedentary employment and weight gains did not help. I do find drops to be very comforting and my back feels great after a ride due to the forward leaning position After rides the next morning is back pain free.

As I am probably an exception - not many ride the same bike in roughly the same configuration for 43 years, so your experience may vary. I just liked the Fuji, with its classic look of glossy black custom paint with chromed fork ends and chromed rear stays with silver Sugino, Nitto, and a few Campy components it was an original. In fact last week I finally found the elusive Mafac brakes and Suntour Cyclone RD that it had for roughly half its life.

Last edited by Bill in VA; 02-24-20 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-24-20, 02:01 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Yeah we shrink as we age, I used to be 5'8" but due to back injury and arthritis I am now 5'5" at age 60. Bikes come and go, its not like its a dog. You can sell them and buy new and love the new one as much as the old. I have had 3 in the short time I have been back riding bikes. I was very glad to replace the Huffy with the Specialized, and the Specialized with the Day 6 when my body failing made a more upright seat important. The important thing is to keep on riding.
But the thought you would still be riding the same bike is probably nil. They wear out if you ride them enough to worry about it. Plus barring injury the regular bike riding should help to keep the shrinking down. Of all the things to worry about this is not one I would choose. LOL
Old 02-24-20, 02:44 PM
julius rensch

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Tourist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Height loss and Frame size

Originally Posted by BikeWonder
I was wondering if any of you old timers have any experience losing height over time or not fitting your favourite frame? The reason I ask is because I have a wonderful touring bike one size larger than what I would normally ride, but it's still great and comfortable. I'm early 20s, 5'10, and the bike is a 60cm with a 58 top tube from seat tube to head tube.

I haven't had any issues with sizing or fit. Normally I would ride a 57-58cm frame.

Anywho, I have this fear that at some point the frame might not fit me anymore, which would then lead me to having to trade the frame with a fellow C&V member for the desired 57cm.

Have any of you experienced not fitting on a frame as you age?
.................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... ...................................................Hello Bike Wonder, I hear ya!
My faithful steed has been a Raleigh DL Tourist (28 inch wheels)
...when the bike was new in 1972, I was 6'4", all was perfect....now in my late 70's, I'm 6'1"...even with the seat all the way down...it's not comfortable....in fact, it seems risky.
ah...the joys of aging....

Julius in Ohio

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.