Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike pic mission game, if anyone wants to play.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike pic mission game, if anyone wants to play.

Old 02-21-20, 07:15 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
Location the Audi dealership on West Katy Freeway:

Audi dealership on West Katy Freeway near Houston TX.

'Round back there is a bike rack, which I initially thought was for employees:

Bike rack on west side of service bay.

But then I rolled past the display and saw that it might be infrastructure for bicycle servicing. (A brief panic that I might not be able to fulfil the mission since now I was looking at a bike shop instead of an automotive dealership, but that feeling passed in, oh, 30 nanoseconds.)

Audi bikes apparently sell as well as cars!

And right in front of the dealership a sobering reminder of what's important:

A reminder to make sure no one gets hurt on our trip.

Please don't let the last item hijack this thread. We're just having fun here. Please do remember what's really important.

Next Mission: Returning to the big public infrastructure theme, I would like to see your bike in front of a wooden (not concrete, not steel) train trestle. Extra credit if the train is on it at the same time.
Well Done! The participants of this thread have been rewarded by your perseverance in not only fulfilling the mission requirements but including interesting related pictures and commentary. I'll have to sit this one out since therte isn't any wooden train trestles near here.
Old 02-21-20, 07:41 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 943 Posts

^^^ That looks similar to that recent PVC bike !

https://www.bikeforums.net/21330412-post71.html

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 02-21-20 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-21-20, 08:54 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Argh, late to the party. Sorry.

Local car dealer (Hyundai up the hill, Chevy down the hill) who also owns a mill complex behind the dealer. Some buildings are car related, this one has artists. One mechanic’s bike is locked here, won’t say which one:

LBS, but of the other type of bike:

p.s. It’s fifteen degrees F here.

Next Mission from flangehead: Returning to the big public infrastructure theme, I would like to see your bike in front of a wooden (not concrete, not steel) train trestle. Extra credit if the train is on it at the same time.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 02-21-20 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Late to the party
Old 02-21-20, 08:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts

I can't seem to find any info on those Audi bikes (other ones, yes). Anyone know what those are?
Old 02-21-20, 09:01 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
^^^ That looks similar to that recent PVC bike !

https://www.bikeforums.net/21330412-post71.html
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I can't seem to find any info on those Audi bikes (other ones, yes). Anyone know what those are?
That’s a Vanmoof, somewhat popular in the Netherlands, very popular in Brooklyn, and also good for greenwashing car brands.

Next Mission from flangehead: Returning to the big public infrastructure theme, I would like to see your bike in front of a wooden (not concrete, not steel) train trestle. Extra credit if the train is on it at the same time.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 02-21-20 at 09:22 AM.
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 02-21-20, 09:12 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

But then I rolled past the display and saw that it might be infrastructure for bicycle servicing. (A brief panic that I might not be able to fulfil the mission since now I was looking at a bike shop instead of an automotive dealership, but that feeling passed in, oh, 30 nanoseconds.)

Next Mission: Returning to the big public infrastructure theme, I would like to see your bike in front of a wooden (not concrete, not steel) train trestle. Extra credit if the train is on it at the same time.
I bought three new bikes (Vaterland, Calvin, and ZeroSeven) for myself and 2 daughters at the local Opel car dealership in Reilingen (near Heidelberg), Germany around 1999 and 2001. It sold and repaired both cars AND bikes. None of the bikes were badged with the Opel name, but they did have a sticker applied on the head tube or rear fender that identified the bikes' source. The yellow sticker on the head tube of my Vaterland bike identified the Opel Dealership as the source.

Next mission remains as bolded above in quoted text box and repeated below:
Old 02-21-20, 09:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by mr_bill
That’s a Vanmoof, somewhat popular in the Netherlands, very popular in Brooklyn, and also good for greenwashing car brands.
-mr. bill
Thanks! Gotta say that in terms of styling, to me it's more of a Vanwoof. No arguing taste, I guess, but that's a clunky look.
Old 02-21-20, 10:35 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts

-mr. bill
I've never heard that term before. I am educated yet again.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 02-21-20, 10:44 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
I like the idea of putting the next mission in bold. I think I will go back to the first page and mention that.

I have the distinct honor of agreeing with everyone. LOL. Being too much of a stickler for the rules is not always helpful and not adhering to any rules is not fun either. I like the banter. I only mentioned something to "Too Old and Too Slow" cuz it seemed like he thought he had to complete every mission. Which I guess if that's what he wants to do, more power to him. But on doesn't have to do that to participate.

I'm not sure I'm gonna read your personal message I Like To Bike. It's this simple, I felt like you were needling me to stop posting the rules so much, yet you didn't come out and say it. So your comments irritated me and I think with possibly some good reason. It's been a rough week for me. I slept on the couch for 5 days cuz my wife had the flu and there have just been a lot of frustrations building up. So I'm sorry if that came out. At the same time, I don't feel your comments were necessary. If you don't want to admit that, whatevs. I'm not going to argue with you privately about it. I'd rather it be out in the open where everyone can see our conduct. That's just me.

So anyways.... I love that this thread gets so much participation and the people like the game. It has been a lot of fun to watch.

Is a trestle the same thing as a bridge? I gotta look that up now. LOL.
Likes For 3S1M:
Old 02-21-20, 02:11 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
If I still lived in OR, I think I could complete this mission. As it is, though, I think I'd have to drive to another state to complete it, so I'll wait for the next mission accomplished.
Old 02-21-20, 02:32 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by 3S1M
I like the idea of putting the next mission in bold. I think I will go back to the first page and mention that.

I have the distinct honor of agreeing with everyone. LOL. Being too much of a stickler for the rules is not always helpful and not adhering to any rules is not fun either. I like the banter. I only mentioned something to "Too Old and Too Slow" cuz it seemed like he thought he had to complete every mission. Which I guess if that's what he wants to do, more power to him. But on doesn't have to do that to participate.

I'm not sure I'm gonna read your personal message I Like To Bike. It's this simple, I felt like you were needling me to stop posting the rules so much, yet you didn't come out and say it. So your comments irritated me and I think with possibly some good reason. It's been a rough week for me. I slept on the couch for 5 days cuz my wife had the flu and there have just been a lot of frustrations building up. So I'm sorry if that came out. At the same time, I don't feel your comments were necessary. If you don't want to admit that, whatevs. I'm not going to argue with you privately about it. I'd rather it be out in the open where everyone can see our conduct. That's just me.

So anyways.... I love that this thread gets so much participation and the people like the game. It has been a lot of fun to watch.

Is a trestle the same thing as a bridge? I gotta look that up now. LOL.

Good call on not opening the message. Trust me.

Seems like everyone's on the same page on the rules at this point, and I sure hope your wife feels better.

If it's all the same to you, I will continue in my role as buttinski bystander. This thread is entertaining me through a pretty depressing winter.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-21-20, 03:02 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
If I still lived in OR, I think I could complete this mission. As it is, though, I think I'd have to drive to another state to complete it, so I'll wait for the next mission accomplished.
I’d have to hit 88 mph on my frankndale plus 1.21 gigawatts to get a pic of a railroad wooden trestle bridge around here.

BTW, an artist I know was thrilled to get a surprise visit this morning.

Oh, assume it’ll be a while for this mission, so in the meantime, VanMoof again:

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 02-21-20 at 03:39 PM. Reason: CamelCase
Old 02-21-20, 03:55 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 330 Posts
mr_bill clause for Mission: Timber Train Trestle

..Oh, assume it’ll be a while for this mission....
I'm beginning to think I live in a different universe than y'all. I figured this would be knocked out by noon and I could bag another on the way home and get a two-fer. I can think of several trestles in Houston, I remember them north of Denver on the South Platte (that was years ago..) but I can tell by the murmuring that a mr_bill clause is in order for this one:

Next Mission: Returning to the big public infrastructure theme, I would like to see your bike in front of a wooden (not concrete, not steel) train trestle. Extra credit if the train is on it at the same time. After Saturday 2/22 it can be of any material and may support loads other than rail. See Wikipedia for the explanation of a trestle.

Last edited by flangehead; 02-21-20 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Add context.
Old 02-21-20, 09:49 PM
Fredo_Adagio

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 53 Posts
How about a former railroad bridge that is now part of a bike trail and has a wooden deck. Would that be close enough?

Bridge on Greenbrier River Trail in West Virginia

Bridge on New River Trail in Virginia

One more photo from the bridge on the Greenbrier River Trail

Last edited by Fredo_Adagio; 02-21-20 at 10:06 PM.
Likes For Fredo_Adagio:
Old 02-22-20, 05:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by TooOldandSlow
How about a former railroad bridge that is now part of a bike trail and has a wooden deck. Would that be close enough?

Bridge on Greenbrier River Trail in West Virginia

Bridge on New River Trail in Virginia

One more photo from the bridge on the Greenbrier River Trail
That's a metal trestle on the New River Bridge so does it matter if it was posted before midnight?
Old 02-22-20, 07:16 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 330 Posts
Trestle Trials and Tribulations

How about a former railroad bridge that is now part of a bike trail and has a wooden deck. Would that be close enough?...
That's a nice looking trail. Around here the standard for "scenic" is no concrete in the viewshed and not too much trash...

I've googled that bridge/tunnel and it appears to be supported by large solid masonry piers. Here's my understanding of a trestle:

Not my photo; snipped off Google images.

It wouldn't surprise me if there are "rail-to-trail" spans that are trestles; maybe there is one on Greenbriar Trail.

In all fairness to the legions of cyclists combing the nation (and parts of the former Soviet Union) at this very moment for the original mission, which in my deluded state I still consider very achievable, please hold off until after Saturday February 22nd to invoke the mr_bill clause. (For those of you new to the thread, a "mr_bill" clause is a relaxation of the mission requirements after a given time period when the mission is hard to achieve. In this case, beginning Sunday February 23rd, the mission can be fulfilled with a trestle span carrying any load, including, for example, a bike trail....)

Current Mission: Returning to the big public infrastructure theme, I would like to see your bike in front of a wooden (not concrete, not steel) train trestle. Extra credit if the train is on it at the same time. After Saturday 2/22 it can be of any material and may support loads other than rail. See Wikipedia for the explanation of a trestle.

Last edited by flangehead; 02-22-20 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Grammar and finish with bold mission.
Old 02-22-20, 07:47 AM
Fredo_Adagio

In the set of photos I posted, the first image is of the bridge at Sharps Tunnel on the Greenbrier River Trail between Marlinton and Cass in West Virginia. The second image is of the Fries Junction Bridge on the New River Trail near Galax, Virginia. The last photo is again on the bridge at Sharps Tunnel. I believe both bridges have concrete or masonry piers. We went skinnydipping under the Sharps Tunnel Bridge. I regret I didn't take a photo to show what it looks like from underneath.
Old 02-22-20, 10:00 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Yeah, I was just snapping a pic of a big chicken. As it's on a roof, getting the bike up there would have been a trick. I also didn't want to finish my own challenge.

I wanna see something other than my local giant chickens-- there used to be three in the local area, but somebody stole one.
I get a kick out of people who think they have to have their eye behind the camera. You had an opportunity for a great shot. Bend over in front of your bike and angle the camera up. That would have been fantastic.
Old 02-22-20, 12:35 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Likes For Bryan C.:
Old 02-22-20, 12:39 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I think it's pretty safe to say that the pictured trestle was at one point or another, on fire.

Wood trestles definitely in short supply here in SoCal.
Old 02-22-20, 12:41 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

An old partially burned wooden railroad trestle. The rail line appears abandoned but all the structures and rails still exist.

Next mission: A picture of your bike with wildlife. Any undomesticated type of animal will work, but NO birds or squirrels will be allowed.
Old 02-22-20, 05:06 PM
Fredo_Adagio

Do geese still count as birds if they are too fat and lazy to fly south for the winter? I came across these guys during my ride this morning.

Likes For Fredo_Adagio:
Old 02-22-20, 05:29 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Do geese still count as birds if they are too fat and lazy to fly south for the winter? I came across these guys during my ride this morning.

Ya beat me to asking the same question to the mission assigner, as geese are the only wildlife I come across when I ride my bike around town. On my lawn I get all kinds of wild life of the deer variety every day (see below), but I know that taking pictures from my window or while standing on my lawn as the deer pass by a parked bike would give some folks agida. So I'll have to wait this one out.

Next mission remains: A picture of your bike with wildlife. Any undomesticated type of animal will work, but NO birds or squirrels will be allowed.
Unless
mission assigner approves TooOldandSlow's submission.
Old 02-22-20, 06:55 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Ya beat me to asking the same question to the mission assigner, as geese are the only wildlife I come across when I ride my bike around town. On my lawn I get all kinds of wild life of the deer variety every day (see below), but I know that taking pictures from my window or while standing on my lawn as the deer pass by a parked bike would give some folks agida. So I'll have to wait this one out.

Next mission remains: A picture of your bike with wildlife. Any undomesticated type of animal will work, but NO birds or squirrels will be allowed.
Unless
mission assigner approves TooOldandSlow's submission.

Since geese are actual birds regardless of how annoying they are, not going to work.

My neighborhood is over run with Canadian Geese and Wild Turkeys, not to mention squirrels. Deer, rabbits, raccoons, skunks are all plentiful as well. Let's see how this turns out. I think it's too early for the Mr Bill clause to take effect but fake animals will be included when that kicks in.

EDITED TO ADD:

Last edited by Bryan C.; 02-22-20 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-22-20, 08:24 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 943 Posts
Not recent so I DQ myself, so....

Likes For Deal4Fuji:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.