Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Will a 60cm LHT fit me?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Will a 60cm LHT fit me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-20, 01:18 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Will a 60cm LHT fit me?

I found a Surly LHT within a couple hours drive of me but I'm a newby on frame sizes. It's a 60cm frame. That makes the stand over 33.3". I ride a Schwinn now with the same stand over height without trouble. I'm 6'2 with a 33" inseam and 170 lbs. I have a long torso and need tall clothing when I can find it slim enough. I don't really have much clue on all the other measurements and I know fit is personal but I might can do a trade on this bike I didn't think I could afford. My original intention was to try to get on a LHT before ordering a certain size but this deal just sort of came up so I need some fit advice in the worst way and fairly quickly.
Old 02-21-20, 02:23 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
I found a Surly LHT within a couple hours drive of me but I'm a newby on frame sizes. It's a 60cm frame. That makes the stand over 33.3". I ride a Schwinn now with the same stand over height without trouble. I'm 6'2 with a 33" inseam and 170 lbs. I have a long torso and need tall clothing when I can find it slim enough. I don't really have much clue on all the other measurements and I know fit is personal but I might can do a trade on this bike I didn't think I could afford. My original intention was to try to get on a LHT before ordering a certain size but this deal just sort of came up so I need some fit advice in the worst way and fairly quickly.
Same height and same inseam. (I have to buy 32" pants because I'll walk on the ends of 34" pants.) I have a 60cm LHT. I like my touring bikes on the slightly larger side. It's possible that you will find the 60cm too large. I definitely had to replace the monster stem with a shorter one.
Old 02-21-20, 03:23 PM
RH Clark

Thing is I'm inexperienced enough that I might not even know it's too big for 4 months. I plan on riding it before I buy it but I'm not sure if I can tell much. I got on a 59cm Schwinn Voyager for a bit recently and I ride a 23" seat tube length, 5 speed Schwinn Cruiser a good bit. The Cruiser has a 33- 3/8" stand over height and it doesn't give me any problems, and I ride it rough sometimes through the ditches and over the hills. It has 26" MTB type tires.
Old 02-21-20, 03:46 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I'm also 6'2" with long torso and find I'm between 58cm-60cm with a lot of bikes. You maybe able to make 60cm work with adjustments, but It really depends on the other measurements. Compare the reach and stack of the geometry as well (if you can find it) to your Voyageur. It will be more difficult if comparing flat to drop bar geometry.
Old 02-21-20, 04:09 PM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by katsup
I'm also 6'2" with long torso and find I'm between 58cm-60cm with a lot of bikes. You maybe able to make 60cm work with adjustments, but It really depends on the other measurements. Compare the reach and stack of the geometry as well (if you can find it) to your Voyageur. It will be more difficult if comparing flat to drop bar geometry.
The whole drop bar thing has me left scratching my head. I've been through this huge body transformation and lost half my body weight. It's been difficult to learn what fits me. I've owned 3 Trek Mountain bikes different sizes and I ride a 19.5 Marlin 5 29er most of the time now. I am just starting touring and just now getting some experience on drop handle bars. I had planned to buy a cheap bike the size I thought I needed and then when looking in that same area ,I ran up on this LHT that I could possibly do a partial trade on, thus putting myself into a much more expensive bike. My first thought was to buy cheap to have drop bar and approx. size experience and then buy a more expensive bike after having a better idea what fit me. Then I ran up on this deal in a bike I have had on my radar for a while. I'm just in a cycling desert in NW Alabama and don't get much chance to even look at other bikes in person.
Old 02-22-20, 11:47 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I'm just the opposite of you. I am 6' and have a 34" inseam. I ride a 58cm LHT, and had to use a shorter stem to adjust for reach. The top tube length, which affects reach, on LHTs are on the long side compared to most touring bikes. If the standover height is OK, it seems like your longer torso might work on a 60 cm frame. It will also depend on the height of the steerer tube. If it was cut short it may make a difference.

A rough guage of fit would be to have a body angle of about 45 degrees when your hands are on the hoods. That is assuming that the saddle is adjsuted properly in height and fore and aft. Do not huse the saddle adjustment to compensate for reach. Do a search for bicycle fitting, and you can find information that will show you some of the basics.
Old 02-22-20, 06:12 PM
RH Clark

Thanks guys. I had a possible trade deal going and panicked a little over size decisions. I've done some measurements and learned a bit more now. The 60cm Surly is real close to my Trek MTB now in size except that my MTB has even more reach. The effective top tube length is virtually the same as close as I can measure and the stand over is very close to the same when measured in the center of the MTB top tube. I've made the deal on the Surly LHT. It's a dream that I didn't think would happen this soon. Ya'll wish me luck. Nothing is sure until in hand but things look real good for me to get this bike with less than 100 miles on it since new.

There was some confusion about the Schwinn Voyager I mentioned. I only rode that bike a little. Just enough to think that I could ride it's 59cm frame. Just wanted to clear that up. I ride the Trek Marlin 5 29er 19.5 inch and an old Schwinn 5 speed cruiser in a 23" frame as close as I can tell. The Schwinn has 26 X1.9" tires and a 5 speed rear friction adjusted. It's top tube stand over is 33" which does me fine and the 60CM Surly is a 33.4 inch stand over. I did the stand over the book against the wall measurement and got a whopping 35" even though I wear 32" -33"inseam pants.

Anyway, thanks again for all the help. I feel this is the one that will take me places.

Last edited by RH Clark; 02-22-20 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-22-20, 09:37 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Congratulations, now you owe us a photo when you get it.