Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Your opinion on this 7 speed customization

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-18, 06:44 PM
bikeclone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like 7 speed Shimano internal hubs for my type of biking.
Given that, I want to build a Cruiser from a standard 7 speed I can buy for under $180, delivered.
This is the donor: Kent 26" Men's Bay Breeze 7-Speed Cruiser .
In and of itself it looks like a nicely finished alum frame standard cheap commute bike with f & r caliper brakes. My main interest is the alum frame and brakes.
I intend to swap in a Shimano Nexus 7 speed internal hub/F&R SSspoke alum wheel combo [26" same size] and finish with BMX style bars to raise my steering profile up a few more inches. [Never have liked the exaggerated, wide style beach cruiser bars].

In the end, I should have a near customized 'low to no maintenance-light to load into back of my tacoma' cruiser with a nearly sand, water, ocean-air proof drive system. Maybe add a stainless steel chain later and look forward to very looow maintenance beach cruiser, but one that I can do a 10 mile run on without much trauma.

The whole customization will cost $400, provided I do all the work.
Looking around at whats available stock alum bikes w/Nexus 7 speed internal hub-F&R SSspoke alum wheelset, I haven't seen anything under $550, let alone that I like.
My use will be casual 3-10 mile rides at a time x 2-3x/week on beach streets and concrete boardwalks having a fine coat of loose beach fine beach sand. Occasional graded dirt/decomposed granite city maintained bike scenic roadways. I project to get at least 10 years out of this ride before I get tired of it or interested in a future bike.

Your thots.??
Old 04-12-18, 06:39 AM
SHOFINE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 15 Posts
Does the donor have horizontal dropouts? I can't find any good pics of this bike.
I've never had a 7 spd Nexus but have 3 Nexus 8 speeds and a Alfine 8 speed that have been bulletproof. I converted my 82 Schwinn road bike to a hybrid/cruiser like bike to a Nexus 8 speed. I also like being able to use the Alfine Shifters on the Nexus hubs as the Nexus twist shifters are crap.

This bike would be ok except for that set back seat.

Save Up To 60% Off Cruisers Mango LongBoard 8 Speed Shimano Nexus Internal Geared Cruisers from bikesdirect.com
Old 04-12-18, 07:13 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So for $580, you'll have a Kent with internal gears.
If you're looking for something crank-forward (which the pics online show the Bay Breeze is), just get a Mango with an IGH.
Old 04-12-18, 11:13 AM
bikeclone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe I mis-stated.
The whole customization will be $400: Kent 7speed bike, $170, ShimanoNexus7-IH w/F&R wheels: $200, Mid or hi-rise BMX bars: +/-$30.
I would be at minimum, $550 for stock 7spd-IH BeachCruiser w/alum frame, and still need BMX bars.
Old 04-12-18, 11:45 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeclone
Maybe I mis-stated.
The whole customization will be $400: Kent 7speed bike, $170, ShimanoNexus7-IH w/F&R wheels: $200, Mid or hi-rise BMX bars: +/-$30.
I would be at minimum, $550 for stock 7spd-IH BeachCruiser w/alum frame, and still need BMX bars.
I did misunderstand.

But a $400 Kent is still a Kent. Take one for a test ride before shelling out any money and definitely before trying to modify one.
Old 04-17-18, 07:27 PM
bikeclone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree w/Shofine; the 'Mango' sounds like a great bike, but for $500 I still have to swap in my preferred bars and I have to live with the crankforward [isn't for me].
Alternately, and to Jimmie65's point, in the end, I still will have a Kent- frame at least.

Based on those scenarios, this appears to be the only way [and cheapest] to my chosen options: +/-9" hirise BMX bars, Nexus 7spd IH with F&R Shimano rims, alum frame w/out 'Crankforward'. And yes, I'll immediately also need tubes & tires.
Basically, I'll be on a Kent frame w/cheap brakes, but the Nexus has a coasterbrake, so I can live with that for a while.
So here's my 'Failsafe' plan: Likely order bike fr/the big T, and try it out; if it's absolutely horrible, I can return to the local T for full refund. If not, I'll order my Nexus combo, Bars and tires and put it all together for $465.
The same bike from the W, or even the A, sells for $165 delivered but returns could be like self administered root canals; I'll pay the xtra $45 to the big T for the convenience of a no hassle return.
If it works out, I'll have a 'CPO' beachcruiser for about $465 [and w/out the 'crankforward universe].
But yes, it is still a Kent frame, albeit aluminum.

So, here goes, unless someone out there knows of a bike being currently marketed w/my CPO items.

Thx,
Joe
Old 04-18-18, 05:39 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I agree w/Shofine; the 'Mango' sounds like a great bike, but for $500 I still have to swap in my preferred bars and I have to live with the crankforward [isn't for me].
Alternately, and to Jimmie65's point, in the end, I still will have a Kent- frame at least.

Based on those scenarios, this appears to be the only way [and cheapest] to my chosen options: +/-9" hirise BMX bars, Nexus 7spd IH with F&R Shimano rims, alum frame w/out 'Crankforward'. And yes, I'll immediately also need tubes & tires.
Basically, I'll be on a Kent frame w/cheap brakes, but the Nexus has a coasterbrake, so I can live with that for a while.
So here's my 'Failsafe' plan: Likely order bike fr/the big T, and try it out; if it's absolutely horrible, I can return to the local T for full refund. If not, I'll order my Nexus combo, Bars and tires and put it all together for $465.
The same bike from the W, or even the A, sells for $165 delivered but returns could be like self administered root canals; I'll pay the xtra $45 to the big T for the convenience of a no hassle return.
If it works out, I'll have a 'CPO' beachcruiser for about $465 [and w/out the 'crankforward universe].
But yes, it is still a Kent frame, albeit aluminum.

So, here goes, unless someone out there knows of a bike being currently marketed w/my CPO items.

Thx,
Joe
Just to make sure I was clear - a Kent frame would make a great anchor. All of the Kents I've seen are heavy, poorly welded, and would be very difficult to upgrade. They suck.

Check out some of the Amazon reviews for the Bay Breeze (https://smile.amazon.com/Kent-7-Spee...-no-redirect=1)
Lots of issues with the paint, pedals, crank, etc.

It is NOT a good choice for upgrading.
Old 04-18-18, 08:09 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by n0+4c|u3
Of all the low end bikes I work on, Kent's have some of the nicest looking welds. At one point I was considering building a BMX out of a La Jolla model.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Kent-L...Green/37536336

That one is nice-looking. Still, I wouldn't recommend the Bay Breeze, based solely on the pics I've seen and the reviews. Just wanted to be clear to the OP that I wasn't recommending it.
Old 04-18-18, 12:20 PM
SHOFINE

If Electra had come out with the Super Moto 8i before I got my Sawyer ...??? Sometimes you can get some good deals at the Trek dealer stores. I did on both of my Treks.

Old 04-18-18, 06:34 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
How about getting this: Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29 SS Single Speed 29er Mountain Bikes
I converted mine to a 3 speed - Shimano Nexus internal geared hub.
Old 04-19-18, 05:04 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by SHOFINE
If Electra had come out with the Super Moto 8i before I got my Sawyer ...??? Sometimes you can get some good deals at the Trek dealer stores. I did on both of my Treks.
Now that's effing nice! I've wanted a cruiser with disc brakes, if that was single speed, it'd be perfect.
Old 04-19-18, 05:18 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmie65
Just to make sure I was clear - a Kent frame would make a great anchor. All of the Kents I've seen are heavy, poorly welded, and would be very difficult to upgrade. They suck.

Check out some of the Amazon reviews for the Bay Breeze (https://smile.amazon.com/Kent-7-Spee...-no-redirect=1)
Lots of issues with the paint, pedals, crank, etc.

It is NOT a good choice for upgrading.
The Kent/Next LaJolla is not heavy, at least the old ones weren't. Especially compared to Schwinns walmart line of cruisers. They're usually aluminum and probably wiegh less than the bmx bikes. Now this Next Bella Vista I been stripping down is pretty heavy, but it's a steel hardtail cruiser. Not sure if I wanna use it or scrap it.
Old 04-19-18, 06:04 PM
SHOFINE

Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
Now that's effing nice! I've wanted a cruiser with disc brakes, if that was single speed, it'd be perfect.
Electra came out with the Moto 1 (single speed 29er) & Moto 3i a couple years before the Super Moto 8i (650B +).

Old 04-20-18, 12:01 AM
bikeclone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, convinced.
The Kent bike is more likely than not to be a regrettable purchase....so, still looking for a Non ForwardCrankset.

Maybe the best find so far: a 20 yr old "Electra 7 Speed Street Rod"; specs per BicycleBluBook:

Hubs: Front: Shimano Nexus Roller brake, Rear: Shimano Nexus Inter 7 Roller brake
Rims: EBC TA-5 aluminum, 36-hole
Tires: 700 x 38c EBC City Slicks
Spoke Brand: Stainless steel, 2.0mm straight gauge
Spoke Nipples: Brass nipples
Components
Brakeset: Shimano Nexus Roller brake
Shift Levers: Grip Shift SRT-400
Crankset: Tracer, 38 teeth
Pedals: Wellgo resin/aluminum
Bottom Bracket: Cartridge
BB Shell Width: 68mm English
Rear Cogs: 7-speed internal, 18 teeth
Seatpost: Kalloy aluminum micro-adjust, 26.8mm diameter
Saddle: EBC Touring w/springs
Handlebar: EBC Euro-City aluminum
Handlebar Stem: Kalloy
Headset: 1inch threadless YST

...just got to see if frame can handle a 26x1.95 or 2.125 tire set.

and a lot under my $465 upper limit-

comments?
Old 04-20-18, 12:04 AM
bikeclone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh, mis-stated in last post:

hopefully the frame and existing rims will accomodate a 1.95 or 2.125 tire...?
Old 04-20-18, 07:14 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok, convinced.
The Kent bike is more likely than not to be a regrettable purchase....so, still looking for a Non ForwardCrankset.

Maybe the best find so far: a 20 yr old "Electra 7 Speed Street Rod"; specs per BicycleBluBook:

Hubs: Front: Shimano Nexus Roller brake, Rear: Shimano Nexus Inter 7 Roller brake
Rims: EBC TA-5 aluminum, 36-hole
Tires: 700 x 38c EBC City Slicks
Spoke Brand: Stainless steel, 2.0mm straight gauge
Spoke Nipples: Brass nipples
Components
Brakeset: Shimano Nexus Roller brake
Shift Levers: Grip Shift SRT-400
Crankset: Tracer, 38 teeth
Pedals: Wellgo resin/aluminum
Bottom Bracket: Cartridge
BB Shell Width: 68mm English
Rear Cogs: 7-speed internal, 18 teeth
Seatpost: Kalloy aluminum micro-adjust, 26.8mm diameter
Saddle: EBC Touring w/springs
Handlebar: EBC Euro-City aluminum
Handlebar Stem: Kalloy
Headset: 1inch threadless YST

...just got to see if frame can handle a 26x1.95 or 2.125 tire set.

and a lot under my $465 upper limit-

comments?

Caveat - 20 years old might need some maintenance and replacement parts (but I assume you're more than capable of handling that).
Old 04-20-18, 02:54 PM
bikeclone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you mentioned that.
I'm also concerned about max width of tire that can safely mount between the forks and existing brakes. If bike can tolerate a 50mm [1.95"] tires, maybe I'm in.
Old 05-07-18, 09:59 PM
bikeclone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found and bought today. Trek beach cruiser
Aluminum frame
7 speed Shimano IH w/disc brake rear, Caliper front
26x2.125 tires,SS spokes, presume alum rims
Front shock absorber fork
Trek stock hi rise bars? 3 piece alum stem
Nice seat w/Trek backrest [to really feel like a 'senior']
Gloss black/silver finish
Forward crankset [I'll live w/it]
Age= +/- 3 year old, $300

Wish I could post pics but keep getting message : 'Cant post URLs until you have 10 posts'

Stock Trek hi-rise bars & 3 piece stem

Trek shock absorber fork

Shimano IH 7 spped w/disc brake

Trek backrest- not gonna keep, but I'll try the 'Senior' look for a while.
Old 05-08-18, 10:02 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by n0+4c u3
Just looked at the specs on this. I've gotta say it looks like a pretty good deal for an aluminum framed internally geared 8 speed.
Old 05-08-18, 10:23 AM
bikeclone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Ballenxj. I knew that the 7 speed IH w/disc brake alone was worth 1/2 the price. I'm ecstatic I just happened to cruise this BS, as I haven't set foot in there since 1983, having moved 26 miles north to Carlsbad back in '86. I was more than happy to not try to negotiate the BS any lower, since it's obvious he's not much of a new bike marketer anymore as much as he is a repair/accessory/ mod shop. It helps that he's on the main drag into the heart of one of the most popular beach communities in San Diego. Pacific Beach is somewhat of a 18-40 yr old haven of bars and new age/hipster restuarants and shops, so as janky as his shop is, he's been in a great place for bike biz for 40 years now.
Guess I have to keep posting here to be allowed to post pics?
Old 05-08-18, 10:40 AM
Ballenxj

Thanks Ballenxj. I knew that the 7 speed IH w/disc brake alone was worth 1/2 the price. I'm ecstatic I just happened to cruise this BS, as I haven't set foot in there since 1983, having moved 26 miles north to Carlsbad back in '86. I was more than happy to not try to negotiate the BS any lower, since it's obvious he's not much of a new bike marketer anymore as much as he is a repair/accessory/ mod shop. It helps that he's on the main drag into the heart of one of the most popular beach communities in San Diego. Pacific Beach is somewhat of a 18-40 yr old haven of bars and new age/hipster restuarants and shops, so as janky as his shop is, he's been in a great place for bike biz for 40 years now.
Guess I have to keep posting here to be allowed to post pics?
Like the real estate folk are always saying, location, location, location. As far as you posting an image here, I don't remember what the minimum requirements are, but most forums require about 30 text posts before they allow picture posts?
Old 05-08-18, 11:41 AM
bikeclone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just looked it up [didn't notice decal on upper frame tube, duh]; its a Trek 'SoleRide 300' from 2006.
Well this bike can't have more than 100 miles on it based on appearance, so based on age, I think it should have been a bit cheaper, but b/c of it being a 'trend' in the last 10 years, especially in beach towns, there sufficient demand. Still, at $300 I could have done much worse- thanks to my readers who called me out on the Target or Amazon generic cruisers I wanted to mod. Finding this Trek turned out to be the path of least resistance with the best return.
For what it's worth, the archive pic is identical, except the PO had a 'Trek' branded backrest installed on the saddle post.
[Hopefully, if I keep yammering on with posts about this bike I can post pics.]
Old 05-08-18, 11:52 AM
bikeclone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally- 10 post minumum fulfilled!
Here's Johhny!

without the backrest should look much more 'sportster'

Stock Trek hi-rise bars & 3 piece stem

Trek shock absorber fork

Shimano IH 7 spped w/disc brake

Shimano IH 7 speed
Old 05-08-18, 04:27 PM
Ballenxj

Nice bike and tires. I would probably lose the backrest after riding with it first to see. That depends on you though, you might like it.
Old 05-08-18, 06:53 PM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice!
Looks like you have a little room to go wider on the tires if you want.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.