Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Savers find - GT All Terra Talera

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-19, 02:33 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts

hey guys! I've been wanting a gt triple triangle bike for probably 25 years or so, but nothing ever came up. Today, while at savers, I found this China made talera for $25.

I know it's nothing fancy, probably a 90s era cheap hybrid, but it's 4130 and the color's great and I thought it might be a good project for a beater around town kinda ride. I just hope I didn't over pay by much at $25 😬

the whole bike needs gone through, chain, tires and cables replaced, needs a seat and probably some other stuff, but I just couldn't pass it up. did I goof up? here's some pictures. anyone able to tell me a year or any other info based on the bb stamp?

P5AF28924

Thanks for any info!
Likes For t_e_r_r_y:
Old 10-29-19, 03:07 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
My opinion is that you did good for $25. These type of bikes make great commuters and around town bikes. I put smooth tires, fenders, racks and lights on my Trek 800s . They handle good, they don't get flats, and if I hit potholes and debris in the road it is no problem. Wheels are sturdy and don't require truing.

Some people put drop bars on these bikes to get more hand positions, there are other bars that also give you more hand positions too. I just have the original straight bars.

It is a good solid bike. Good luck with it. Keep us updated if you do add or modify it.
Old 10-29-19, 03:18 PM
t_e_r_r_y

cool, glad I did at least ok with this! back in oregon I have my univega dirt drop bike that I have a thread on here for somewhere, but I'm in santa fe now and I'm not sure when I'll be going back to get everything, so I kinda wanted to build another for around here.

plus one can't have too many bikes, right?

here's my univega, and maybe the direction I'll take this gt
Old 10-29-19, 03:19 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
You can never go wrong with a "triple triangle"...
Old 10-29-19, 04:07 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Good find. If nothing is frozen i.e. seatpost and stem, then you're good to go!
Old 10-29-19, 04:36 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
I'd love a triple triangle too. I had an OK Shogun years ago but despite the sellers instance it was a 33" standover it was just too small.

While GT's setip is slightly different the triple triangle is often referred to "Hellenic Stays" for Frank Hellenic they builder who first used them.

I am currently looking for a Mixtie with Hellenic stays.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-29-19, 04:38 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked 3,119 Times in 1,962 Posts
I am pretty sure at $25, you will get more than your money's worth...
Old 10-29-19, 04:51 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
There is so much good times ahead of you with that bike!
Old 10-29-19, 06:20 PM
t_e_r_r_y

thanks everyone, the gt name is kinda scary because I know the quality went way down after they were bought out, but I don't know the brand well enough to know what's what. I didn't want to accidentally pick up a turd due to not being able to see past all them triangles, haha. being 4130, I knew it couldn't be completely terrible.

seatpost and stem aren't frozen, thankfully. the more I clean this up, the nicer it is! the paint is mostly great, even the cables are in good shape, just overly lubed at some point. they looked rusty at first, but it was mostly just dirt covered grease and grime. it looks like they may have been replaced not all that long ago.

i may just pick up some tires and a seat and try to clean everything else up for now! i'll get more pictures as i work no it, since threads are worthless without pictures.
Old 10-29-19, 07:14 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll

I am currently looking for a Mixtie with Hellenic stays.
Seriously? Sounds like a joke coming our way.

And it was Frank Hellens who originated them.
Old 10-29-19, 08:37 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
That's the type of frame that I would covet and coddle and stroke and groom and love and hold dear until it burst from its cocoon, becoming something quite grande.
Old 10-29-19, 09:46 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
That's the type of frame that I would covet and coddle and stroke and groom and love and hold dear until it burst from its cocoon, becoming something quite grande.
Damn, dude.
Old 10-29-19, 11:27 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Tough to go wrong when you start at $25 looks like it would make a monster commuter/townie/gravel grinder fwiw I liked the Schwabe city jet tires I put on a Specialized rock hopper I had briefly this summer, they come in either black or skinwall
Old 10-30-19, 02:51 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Seriously? Sounds like a joke coming our way.

And it was Frank Hellens who originated them.
I don’t know how many times I posted that but you are one of the few people to pick up on it.

oh yes Hellens, just speed typing.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-30-19, 05:36 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Based on the serial number this should be a 1995 model. and this is would be correct for the Alvio components. At the time, the Talera was 3rd from the bottom of the line had an MSRP of $370 US.
Old 10-30-19, 12:46 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Nice find, about the same generation as the Explorer. That was made in China? Interesting; our '91 (same price at the local thrift) was Taiwan-made. I bet you'll really like how it rides when you swap a street tire in on the rear.
Old 10-30-19, 03:58 PM
t_e_r_r_y

thanks for the info, everyone! 95 is what I was thinking after trying to decipher the serial number, good to have the verification.

it had a made in china sticker on the headtube that was mostly scratched off. tiawan is technically china 🤔

tires, tubes, and a seat will get me going, i'm going to start shopping around for a used seat!
Old 10-30-19, 04:07 PM
tricky 

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by t_e_r_r_y
thanks for the info, everyone! 95 is what I was thinking after trying to decipher the serial number, good to have the verification.

it had a made in china sticker on the headtube that was mostly scratched off. tiawan is technically china 🤔

tires, tubes, and a seat will get me going, i'm going to start shopping around for a used seat!
GT didn't really die until the early aughts. I had an entry GT XCR5000 i-drive from '99 that I loved. This frame is a great starting point. The components are very entry level (like on my XCR), but if you can get it riding, shifting and stopping then use them until they wear out and then replace with nicer stuff. Post up your build on this thread!
Old 10-30-19, 10:14 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
i'd be surprised if that was actually made in china. it's the same era of my backwoods made in taiwan. nevertheless, if actually made in china, good job 'cause the alivio/acera...while not grail stuff (haha)...they are better than anything found at wally mart...where stuff is really from china. my backwoods came with alivio all around 'cept the rear derailleur being stx. the whole set held up for a good long time from abuse before i even knew or cared about "grail" stuff. the trigger shifters went pretty quick, though. meh

anyway, $25 is a great score in my book. solid bike, man

btw, i picked up tequesta a few months ago that came with the very same stem. great dirt drop piece. haven't done so yet, but the goal is a drop bar conversion and the stem gets the bars right up there on a mock up. you'll likely have to flex the clamp a bit to get drop bars through, if you use it. i had to, and didn't hurt anything. convenient cable routing on it, also!

edit: i see yours has a removable face. mine doesn't...pfth. all the better for ya
Old 10-31-19, 10:35 AM
t_e_r_r_y

I agree about the stem, while not as sexy as the ld stem on my univega, it would work great for some drops. I'm not sure if I'm going that route yet, but I may.

the front shifter is acting up, won't shift into the big ring (the shifter itself is being weird, not the derailleur), but it may just need a cleaning. I'll open it up and see what I can see.
Old 10-31-19, 11:11 AM
madpogue 

Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
DON'T open up the shifter. Little molecular-scale parts will immediately go sproinging out and fly into nether regions of your workspace, never to show up again. Those trigger shifters work on little spring-loaded pawls, and the lubricant gets thick over time and the pawls don't engage, or engage too slowly. Just shoot some mild degreaser into whatever opening(s) you can, and work the triggers a gazillion times. Eventually you'll feel the pawls start to hit. Then re-lubricate with a light lube.

Stems on the earlier 3T GTs were cro-mo and color-keyed to the frame. Similar design, but some did not have the removeable face.

BTW, there's a "Triple Triangle GT" thread here in the C&V section. Post your new quarry there as well, for those who might still be subscribed to it.
Old 11-03-19, 08:04 AM
t_e_r_r_y

good call on not pulling the shifters apart, if I get some time today I'll try your suggestion and just spray stuff in there to get them to free up.

tires and a seat. I just got to santa fe and am still looking for regular work, so I can't drop money on this like I did on the univega, so it may be time for a trip to walmart for tires. ugh

the seat looks like it was a big, padded, box store purchase that someone ripped the padding off of, leaving the uncomfortable plastic base. unfortunately it's unusable.

hopefully I'll be riding it somewhat soon!
Old 11-14-19, 12:04 AM
t_e_r_r_y

not the best picture, but seat and tires acquired! got the turbo on here and while not the most comfortable thing, it'll do for now.

i think i'm going to convert this one to a single speed since my other is a 10 speed. santa fe is pretty flat too, i think it'll be a fun ride.

some platform pedals, 1 speed conversion, and revamping the brakes and i think this'll be my new favorite ride.

please excuse all the mopeds - we have a club and my garage is the clubhouse haha.
Likes For t_e_r_r_y:
Old 11-14-19, 09:39 AM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
@t e r r y

i just purchased one of these over the weekend as part of a 4 bike lot for , it’s going to a friend who has a loved one that needs a bike after my friend does the overhaul on it as you can see in the photo this one has that kinda funky cool blue splatter kinda rain drop pattern paint on both the stem and frame set. I am guessing it’s from the late 80’s - early 90’s
Old 11-14-19, 10:14 AM
t_e_r_r_y

Originally Posted by SamSpade1941
... as you can see in the photo ...
it doesn't look like you're picture made it through, but it sounds awesome!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.