Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

New to PDX, bike swaps/shows etc?

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-18, 04:11 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I moved down to Vancouver (WA) just over a year ago from Seattle and am realizing I have a lack of knowledge about some stuff that Seattle has, and Portland must too, but I don't know when and where.

Can you good folks inform me if Portland has a bicycle swap meet type deal where civilians (and some businesses) rent out spaces and sell their extra components and bikes? I tried a little googling, but wasn't having any luck. If I could just learn the names of these events I can track down the when/where.

Many thanks!
Old 01-08-18, 06:15 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
There is a swap meet during Pedalpalooza in the summer. It is associated with Norther Cycles.

Albany had a swap meet last May 6. A little funky. Not real big.

Check out this thread on "Velocirque"
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post20060291

It looks like they've set a date of February 24. Not a swap meet, but a good way to meet the locals.
Old 01-08-18, 07:41 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,872 Times in 1,439 Posts
It happens now and then. Portland doesn't seem to be as organized about it. As Clifford said, Norther Cycles is one place to watch. They try to publicize the swap meets near their shop, but they don't have a terribly loud voice, so to speak.

If your goal is to sell stuff, Sellwood Cycles sells bikes, frames, and components on consignment. Their current inventory is online and will give you an idea of the quality level they work with. The process is super easy and they're a great shop to work with, but they prefer to price things to move and take a sizeable cut so if maximum return is your goal you're better off using Craigslist.

Watch the Bike Portland blog for announcements of random bike events. Other than Pedalpalooza, I'm not sure anything happens at a predictable time. You may also see announcements for bike swaps on Craigslist.
Old 01-09-18, 12:39 PM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
As previous posters have said, there doesn't seem to be a lot of big and/or regular swap meets in the Portland Metro. Norther does a few through the year. There usually is one or two (plus the Norther one) during Pedalpalooza. Everything else is pretty scattershot, the type of thing you hear about on BikePortland on Friday afternoon for that weekend.

The one big annual one I know of is the Iron Ranch one in Ridgefield, WA (north of Vancouver) in September. But its focus is around early-mid 20th century American bikes. So if you are looking for a period correct horn for your 1956 Schwinn Typhoon, it's the place to go. Not so much a period correct Deore XT groupset for your 90's GT MTB.
Old 01-09-18, 01:20 PM
CliffordK

Oh, another thing to put on your calendar.

Oregon Handmade Bike Show

2017 Oregon Handmade Bike Show

I haven't ever been to one, but I've heard they're fun.
Old 01-10-18, 01:53 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
If you look at Bike Portland once a week or so, you'll keep up on all events and shows in the area. On the menu top bar there is a calendar button, a good resource for rides and events in Portland. Welcome, I hope you enjoy living here.

https://bikeportland.org/
Old 01-22-18, 07:31 PM
doug1193

Bikes: Kona Dawg Delux, Gary Fisher Marlin

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out the community bicycle hub run by Bike Clark County at 17th and Main St, in Vancouver. Not a bike swap, but a non-profit that builds bikes for the underprivileged and recycles good parts.
Old 02-04-18, 11:45 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,392 Times in 3,676 Posts
Definitely come to Velocirque on the 24th, always a good time. Ride at 10, show at 3.

Originally Posted by Medic Zero

I moved down to Vancouver (WA) just over a year ago from Seattle and am realizing I have a lack of knowledge about some stuff that Seattle has, and Portland must too, but I don't know when and where.

Can you good folks inform me if Portland has a bicycle swap meet type deal where civilians (and some businesses) rent out spaces and sell their extra components and bikes? I tried a little googling, but wasn't having any luck. If I could just learn the names of these events I can track down the when/where.

Many thanks!
Old 02-04-18, 11:49 PM
Medic Zero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CliffordK
There is a swap meet during Pedalpalooza in the summer. It is associated with Norther Cycles.

It looks like they've set a date of February 24. Not a swap meet, but a good way to meet the locals.
Originally Posted by merziac
Definitely come to Velocirque on the 24th, always a good time. Ride at 10, show at 3.
Woot! I'm actually off that day, and that sounds really cool! Thanks for the heads up!

Any idea what the bike parking situation is like at this event?

Last edited by Medic Zero; 02-04-18 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-04-18, 11:56 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Plenty of good racks for locking up out front, key is to bring something C+V to park inside and show off. C+V can be very loose so anything close is good, you may be able to park inside anyway depending on the turnout. Tell any like minded about this.

Woot! I'm actually off that day, and that sounds really cool! Thanks for the heads up!

Old 02-04-18, 11:58 PM
Medic Zero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by doug1193
Check out the community bicycle hub run by Bike Clark County at 17th and Main St, in Vancouver. Not a bike swap, but a non-profit that builds bikes for the underprivileged and recycles good parts.
Thanks! We just stopped by there earlier this week. I really like what they are doing, it's great that they've got community benches and tools, and I'm excited that they have used parts, forks, and frames for sale. All that said, I went into the Rolling Right bike shop on Burton, and really like the owner of that shop, so I'll be going there for the repairs that I need that are beyond me.
Old 02-05-18, 12:00 AM
Medic Zero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Oh, another thing to put on your calendar.

Oregon Handmade Bike Show

2017 Oregon Handmade Bike Show

I haven't ever been to one, but I've heard they're fun.
Thanks!

Last edited by Medic Zero; 02-05-18 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-05-18, 12:11 AM
Medic Zero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andy_K
It happens now and then. Portland doesn't seem to be as organized about it. As Clifford said, Norther Cycles is one place to watch. They try to publicize the swap meets near their shop, but they don't have a terribly loud voice, so to speak.

If your goal is to sell stuff, Sellwood Cycles sells bikes, frames, and components on consignment. Their current inventory is online and will give you an idea of the quality level they work with. The process is super easy and they're a great shop to work with, but they prefer to price things to move and take a sizeable cut so if maximum return is your goal you're better off using Craigslist.

Watch the Bike Portland blog for announcements of random bike events. Other than Pedalpalooza, I'm not sure anything happens at a predictable time. You may also see announcements for bike swaps on Craigslist.
Thanks! I'm more looking for deals on used stuff, but at some point, I should probably sell some stuff that I'm never going to use...
Old 02-05-18, 12:23 AM
CliffordK

Plenty of good racks for locking up out front, key is to bring something C+V to park inside and show off. C+V can be very loose so anything close is good, you may be able to park inside anyway depending on the turnout. Tell any like minded about this.
I think they're doing a theme this time. Touring & Randonneuring.

I'm working on fixing up an older Jamis for the event. Turing/Utility setup. TIG welded.. Hopefully they'll let me inside.

I should have had it done months ago, but trying to get a few things thrown together. I'd imagine there'll be some very spectacular builds there... leaving mine looking like a forgotten stepchild
Old 02-05-18, 12:32 AM
merziac

True that, also 3 speeds, should be very cool.

Everybody's going to have to see my Merz as usual.

I doubt anybody else will have actually ridden theirs anywhere near as far as you will to get here, while we're talking about it, you will have already done it.

I think they're doing a theme this time. Touring & Randonneuring.

I'm working on fixing up an older Jamis for the event. Turing/Utility setup. TIG welded.. Hopefully they'll let me inside.

I should have had it done months ago, but trying to get a few things thrown together. I'd imagine there'll be some very spectacular builds there... leaving mine looking like a forgotten stepchild
Old 02-05-18, 12:42 AM
Medic Zero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Excellent, thanks!

Wonder if a 28 year old mountain bike converted to a tourer counts as C & V?
Old 02-05-18, 01:16 AM
Medic Zero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shifty
If you look at Bike Portland once a week or so, you'll keep up on all events and shows in the area. On the menu top bar there is a calendar button, a good resource for rides and events in Portland. Welcome, I hope you enjoy living here.

https://bikeportland.org/
Many thanks! Liking it very much so far. That calendar is a great tip.
Old 02-05-18, 01:19 AM
Medic Zero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by adventurepdx
As previous posters have said, there doesn't seem to be a lot of big and/or regular swap meets in the Portland Metro. Norther does a few through the year. There usually is one or two (plus the Norther one) during Pedalpalooza. Everything else is pretty scattershot, the type of thing you hear about on BikePortland on Friday afternoon for that weekend.

The one big annual one I know of is the Iron Ranch one in Ridgefield, WA (north of Vancouver) in September. But its focus is around early-mid 20th century American bikes. So if you are looking for a period correct horn for your 1956 Schwinn Typhoon, it's the place to go. Not so much a period correct Deore XT groupset for your 90's GT MTB.
Thanks!

Sorry I missed everybody's replies earlier, for some reason I don't think I got any notifications until the last one.
Old 02-05-18, 01:20 AM
CliffordK

Excellent, thanks!

Wonder if a 28 year old mountain bike converted to a tourer counts as C & V?
Toss some bags on it.
Smear some dirt on it.

And you'll be good to go
Old 02-05-18, 08:35 AM
Medic Zero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Toss some bags on it.
Smear some dirt on it.

And you'll be good to go
Well, the large Carradice style bag lives on it, as well as a "trunk" bag on top of the front rack, and since I'm using it as my commuter right now, it's pretty well covered in dirt and grit.