Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Mini Velo Bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-16, 06:46 PM
Jixr
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mini Velo Bikes?

I've been reading a little bit on mini velo bikes, and thought it would be kind of fun to get myself one.

I currently only have 2 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes, and have been looking into getting a geared bike, and love the novelty of having something a bit unique and fun.

Anyone have any opinions on them? Do they really ride like full sized bikes? Should i just get a cheap one and then spend more money on a proper road bike?

Bikesdirect has a cheap one, no idea on the quality of it.

There is an old school diamondback F1 race bike locally, I could pick that up as well but can't find much info on them.
Old 08-10-16, 07:17 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts

i own four minivelos (i.e. bikes with 20", 406 or 451, wheels and classic geometry). no, they don't ride exactly like big bikes. but that's the fun. due to the small wheels and smaller wheelbase, they accelerate like a jack rabbit, and turn agilely on a dime. the unusual, uber-cool factor is frosting on the cake.

fyi, minivelo lovers take refuge on the Folding Bikes channel.

one of them is my light tourer (20-119 gear-inches on tap) here in Bali...

Looking to tour New Zealand in one of them next year.

i would not bother with the Mercier Nano. Instead, I'd look to a used Dahon Dash, Hammerhead, Silvertip or Smooth Hound.

Don't believe the uninformed hype that they are inherently slow or uncomfortable. outside of MTB, the most fun to be had on two wheels.

Originally Posted by Jixr
I've been reading a little bit on mini velo bikes, and thought it would be kind of fun to get myself one.

I currently only have 2 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes, and have been looking into getting a geared bike, and love the novelty of having something a bit unique and fun.

Anyone have any opinions on them? Do they really ride like full sized bikes? Should i just get a cheap one and then spend more money on a proper road bike?

Bikesdirect has a cheap one, no idea on the quality of it.

There is an old school diamondback F1 race bike locally, I could pick that up as well but can't find much info on them.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 08-10-16 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-10-16, 10:09 PM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
I own 4 MiniVelos as well if my Schwinn Runabout can pass for one.What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (21.2 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by 7up; 08-10-16 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-10-16, 10:48 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
No comment.

Originally Posted by 7up
I own 4 MiniVelos as well if my Schwinn Runabout can pass for one.What do you think?
Old 08-11-16, 04:28 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3153 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts
I like my Nano well enough, even having but once-again the bike cost into upgrades, and accepting its limitations. I think it's a good place to start to get a sense of minivelo riding if you're in the USA, but Nano is not a high quality bike in any sense

Old 08-11-16, 10:20 AM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
That Mercier is the bike that started it all for me with MiniVelos.When I took notice they were out of stock.I searched for the Dahon Hammerhead and a few others before I purchased my Tokyobike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (21.7 KB, 93 views)