Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

New Trek

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-11, 08:06 PM
Shrktank

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Trek

Hello newbie here

After too many years of not biking, my wife and I are getting back not it. Oh my how things have changed in the last 20 years!

I purchased a KaiTai on Tuesday. I debated between the Kaitai and a DS 8.4. based upon cost I went with the Kaitai. I got home and my wife said she would be ok with me getting the DS 8.4. Called the Trek sales guy today and he said no problem on returning and getting the DS 8.4. Drove the 8.4 around the lot for several minutes and immediatly knew I made the right decision! Much smoother shifting and also disc brakes.

Wife and I are planning our first ride this weekend. Not sure where yet, but if anyone has ideas for the St Louis area I would love to hear them.
Old 07-06-11, 08:28 PM
retneprac

Bikes: Trek 7300 & Trek 7300 WSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shrktank, New also. Congrats on the bike! You didn't say if you had enough money left over for your wife to get a bike too. My wife and I just got 7300's. After spending a month adjusting seat heights, handle bar heights and stretch and hand positioning we're getting to feel like we can ride them all day. Actually we're only up to to 12 miles in one stretch, but that's an improvement. Vermont has a lot of hills. You're right, things really have changed. I think you're going to love that bike. Need pics!!!! Welcome to the forum. These guys know everything!

clifford
Old 07-06-11, 08:45 PM
Shrktank

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes my wife also got a new bike. She is only 5 foot tall so somewhat harder to find a bike. She ended up with a Schwinn Sporterra NX8, which has a 8 gear internal hub. She likes it thus far

Originally Posted by retneprac
Shrktank, New also. Congrats on the bike! You didn't say if you had enough money left over for your wife to get a bike too. My wife and I just got 7300's. After spending a month adjusting seat heights, handle bar heights and stretch and hand positioning we're getting to feel like we can ride them all day. Actually we're only up to to 12 miles in one stretch, but that's an improvement. Vermont has a lot of hills. You're right, things really have changed. I think you're going to love that bike. Need pics!!!! Welcome to the forum. These guys know everything!

clifford
Old 07-15-11, 06:50 PM
nutmegTN
Ride like the wind!

Bikes: Trek 700 wsd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Shrktank. How'd your first week with your new bikes go?

I just love my Trek! I'm only 5'1" so I had a hard time finding a bike to fit me too. Ended up special ordering a 13.5" frame.
Old 07-18-11, 05:54 AM
Shrktank

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went very well. We event out about 3 times this past week and very enjoyable. Both feel like we are starting to get back not shape. Problem has been the MidWest heat this past week as well as my first flat tire!

Overall, both happy with our bikes and looking forward to a day ride
Old 07-18-11, 06:44 AM
sedges

Bikes: Trek 820 Antelope (1992)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If your wife's bike is comfortable on a crushed stone trail you could take your Kaitai on the KATY. Your new bike bike is a perfect match for this trail!

https://www.bikekatytrail.com/
Old 07-25-11, 05:22 AM
Shrktank

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the information regarding the Katy trail.

We are planning on heading out that way soon. Rode Grants Trail the other day and just keep doing our local rides to get strength and endurance up. Thinking of a 50 mile Katy Trail ride this summer, with a stay at a bed and breakfast along the way

Originally Posted by sedges
If your wife's bike is comfortable on a crushed stone trail you could take your Kaitai on the KATY. Your new bike bike is a perfect match for this trail!

https://www.bikekatytrail.com/