Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

30 mph ebike this morning

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

30 mph ebike this morning

Old 10-27-19, 07:54 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
"Real cyclists" ride bicycles, with no motor. E-bikes are motorcycles (any of them, pedal assist or not, 10mph or 50mph top speed) to me, so if they pass me I'm just as bothered as if a Harley passes me (I'm an old man, BTW).
Actually anyone riding a bike is a real cyclist. But there are some that think ONLY they are real cyclist. Snobbery is alive and well.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 10-27-19, 08:10 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
"Real cyclists" ride bicycles, with no motor. E-bikes are motorcycles (any of them, pedal assist or not, 10mph or 50mph top speed) to me, so if they pass me I'm just as bothered as if a Harley passes me (I'm an old man, BTW).
This, qft.
Old 10-27-19, 08:15 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Actually anyone riding a bike is a real cyclist. But there are some that think ONLY they are real cyclist. Snobbery is alive and well.
Is there a difference between "riding" a bike and "driving" a bike?

I have nothing against e-bike, they have their place. But going too fast on a MUP with children, dogs and pedestrians is not it. Same goes for pedal bike going too fast in the same situation.

They give all cyclists a bad name.
Old 10-27-19, 08:25 AM
badger1

Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
I would agree that "anyone riding a bike is a real cyclist" provided we understand that by 'cyclist' or 'cycling' we are referring to the activity of riding a bicycle for which the sole source of motive force is the power physically generated by the rider.

The sad thing is the number of people on here who want to re-define cycling to include the riding of motorized vehicles such as e-bikes.

Riding e-bikes and the like, where permitted by law (a different set of questions), is a perfectly legitimate activity, though not one that interests me, but it is not cycling.

Simple, and nothing whatsoever to do with a fictive "snobbery" that exists in, and only in, your mind. I am a "real cyclist", though an old, slow, and Fredly one. Someone whose riding is done on an e-bike is not. That is not a normative judgement; it is a simple conclusion predicated on a commonly-accepted and rational definition of 'cycling'.
Old 10-27-19, 08:28 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Where is the dislike button?
Old 10-27-19, 08:30 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by GlennR
Is there a difference between "riding" a bike and "driving" a bike?

I have nothing against e-bike, they have their place. But going too fast on a MUP with children, dogs and pedestrians is not it. Same goes for pedal bike going too fast in the same situation.

They give all cyclists a bad name.
Like the 3 times I was driven off the bike path by fast riding "real cyclist" staring at their front wheel? Something they claim they dont do.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 10-27-19, 09:07 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Should trikes (or for that matter, pedal-cars) be on bike paths?
Old 10-27-19, 09:13 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Like the 3 times I was driven off the bike path by fast riding "real cyclist" staring at their front wheel? Something they claim they dont do.
Really? Did those fast riding "real cyclists" stop after driving you off the bike path to claim to you that "they" were not responsible for your problem, were not staring at their front wheels and did not ride too fast for conditions?

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 10-27-19 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-27-19, 12:10 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

I have to add that there's only 2 MUP near me. One heads north and i avoid it on weekends and when I know it's crowded. There's plenty of roads that go to the same place.

The other goes to the beach and after the first mile or 2 there's very few pedestrians and other related obstacles.
Old 10-27-19, 12:28 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Really? Did those fast riding "real cyclists" stop after driving you off the bike path to claim to you that "they" were not responsible for your problem and do not ride too fast for conditions?
Nope none of the 3 stopped, they just pedaled on doing over 20mph! But then that is what I would have expected from that kind of cyclist.
Old 10-27-19, 12:29 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Should trikes (or for that matter, pedal-cars) be on bike paths?
What do you have against trikes? The point here is these trails are called Multi Use!!!!!
Old 10-27-19, 01:00 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
That's what people in cars say of cyclists.
I could say the same about a LOT of bicyclist and skate boarders I encounter on the roads. Like someone said, "If Common Sense is so common, then why do we see so little of it?"

Cheers
Old 10-27-19, 01:40 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

What do you have against trikes? The point here is these trails are called Multi Use!!!!!
You called it a bike path. Nothing against trikes per se, though with "Multi-Use" there still should be qualifiers as to vehicles allowed of some sort, given that there's a fixed amount of available width, with perhaps no 'shoulder' to move over onto, etc. Once electric bikes are given the OK, progression then to electric trikes, then to electric golf carts, then to...
Old 10-27-19, 02:42 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

You called it a bike path. Nothing against trikes per se, though with "Multi-Use" there still should be qualifiers as to vehicles allowed of some sort, given that there's a fixed amount of available width, with perhaps no 'shoulder' to move over onto, etc. Once electric bikes are given the OK, progression then to electric trikes, then to electric golf carts, then to...
Last week there was a maint truck and service car on the MUP with a work crew. The car crossed over a pedestrian bridge, luckily the truck did not.
Old 10-27-19, 03:08 PM
Lab4Us

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport 3 in Volt

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
Is this a e-bike?

No idea, but I’d instantly buy one for an e-bike price vice the MSRP!
Old 10-27-19, 03:09 PM
Lab4Us

Originally Posted by Miele Man
I could say the same about a LOT of bicyclist and skate boarders I encounter on the roads. Like someone said, "If Common Sense is so common, then why do we see so little of it?"

Cheers
Because...Darwinism’s survival of the fittest principle...
Old 10-27-19, 03:14 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Lab4Us
Because...Darwinism’s survival of the fittest principle...
Ah but far too often the ones who get injured or killed are the innocents. in a car/bicycle collision the bicyclist will most likely be the loser. The same would hold true for an E-bike/bicycle collision especially if the E-bike is going fast. An E-bike has a lot more mass than the average bicycle.

Cheers
Old 10-27-19, 03:43 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Lab4Us
No idea, but I’d instantly buy one for an e-bike price vice the MSRP!
This one is $13,500
Old 10-27-19, 03:49 PM
Lab4Us

This one is $13,500
lol, but many others are $3-4k (USD) or so...
Old 10-27-19, 05:03 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
You called it a bike path. Nothing against trikes per se, though with "Multi-Use" there still should be qualifiers as to vehicles allowed of some sort, given that there's a fixed amount of available width, with perhaps no 'shoulder' to move over onto, etc
As long as they're totally human powered you can't really make a case against them. At least I wouldn't.
. Once electric bikes are given the OK, progression then to electric trikes, then to electric golf carts, then to...
Now this, on the other hand, is the natural progression that is undeniable. Especially since we've already seeing the e-bikes getting more powerful by the day. And half of those don't even need to be pedaled to move.

Again, my issue isn't with the e-bikes, but with their encroachment onto previously totally human powered and already over-crowded territory.

Last edited by KraneXL; 10-27-19 at 05:33 PM. Reason: sentence clarity
Old 10-27-19, 05:08 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by KraneXL
As long as they're totally human powered you can't really make a case against them. At least I wouldn't.
Now this on the other hand, is the natural progress that's undeniable. Especially since we've already seeing the bike get more powerful by the day. And half of them you those don't even need to be pedaled to move.

Again, my issue isn't with the e-bikes, but with their encroachment onto previously totally human powered and already over-crowded territory.
The issue is limited space and room. Will we get to a point that we tell pedestrians that they can't use "MUPs", because they themselves aren't efficient enough, and there's no room for the 4-passenger pedal-car to get around them if they happen to come by? After all, that pedal-car is transporting 4 people, and the walking pedestrian is a just a complete waste of valuable space and moving way too slow.
Old 10-28-19, 07:02 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
We’ve reached full stupid.

I just got a Bikeforums advertisement show up here for a 1000w e-bike painted like a WW2 fighter jet.

ONE THOUSAND watts.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 10-28-19, 09:09 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
This Weekend's Great Pumpkin Ride...

had my wife and me meeting up with four other riders, of whom two were acquaintances and two were strangers. One stranger, the wife, was riding some form of e-bike. Well, her battery was giving her problems, and she was forced to bail out on the ride early on. It seems that lugging a 55 lb bike up the hills with the rest of us "conventional" riders was too much. I don't blame her. Her husband had to peel off immediately to keep her company, and they missed the ride completely. Oh well.

It seems that this is the greatest drawback to the concept of an e-bike. Electrical component/battery/motor failure that leaves you astride a boat anchor. No thanks.
Old 10-28-19, 09:19 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
We’ve reached full stupid.

I just got a Bikeforums advertisement show up here for a 1000w e-bike painted like a WW2 fighter jet.

ONE THOUSAND watts.
That is a WHOLE 1 and 1/4 horsepower.
Old 10-28-19, 10:33 AM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
It seems that this is the greatest drawback to the concept of an e-bike. Electrical component/battery/motor failure that leaves you astride a boat anchor..
It is my hope that the high cost and dependability problems will damp down the current ebike fad and they will just go away. Becoming another relic of cycling’s many fads from over the years. When Costco is selling ebikes in that featured area near the entrance, their days are numbered.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.