Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Tricyclist Killed in Portland Suburb

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Tricyclist Killed in Portland Suburb

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-19, 01:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
You may as well put the subject poster on ignore then, 'cause if he can't get into a pissing contest, he ain't happy.
Don't ever underestimate his micturition skills!

I believe he is the authoritative expert in the field of Expert Authority of Things Sundry and Ill-Defined, and has received the award of the Unpleasant-Smelling Legume Cluster from the Order of Ill-Tempered Wombats. .
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-10-19, 02:46 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Don't ever underestimate his micturition skills!

I believe he is the authoritative expert in the field of Expert Authority of Things Sundry and Ill-Defined, and has received the award of the Unpleasant-Smelling Legume Cluster from the Order of Ill-Tempered Wombats. .
Yay! I learned a new word today.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 12-10-19, 04:04 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 2,976 Times in 1,496 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
It would be nice to have a full detailed police investigation file and accident reconstruction for each accident. Do you wish to get that much detail?

But, I believe there is some that can be learned from every accident. Yes, we probably get some details wrong. But, there are general things that are included. Place where it occurred, time of day, directions, etc. So, looking up information on the streets, light/dark/etc.

There has been debate about the term "accident" which conveys a lack of intent. What was traffic like? Speeds? Lights? Side reflectors/lighting? Was the guy crossing the road to the other side (perpendicular to traffic)? Etc? Whether or not those were all factors, they are important factors for us all to consider in hopes of modifying the variables that we can to make our cycling experience safer.
appears to have attempted to cross the road.R.I.P. https://www.kgw.com/article/news/loc...b-0f364aa3ff42
Old 12-10-19, 04:40 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I find the uninformed post-mortems based on the sketchy information publicly available quite distasteful. …If we want to do debriefs on our own accidents, fine, I might do that if I'm trying to figure out how I could've handled the situation differently.

But let's face it, these threads don't produce any knowledge, they're just water cooler arguments over corpses and maimed cyclists
It would be nice to have a full detailed police investigation file and accident reconstruction for each accident. Do you wish to get that much detail?

But, I believe there is some that can be learned from every accident. Yes, we probably get some details wrong. But, there are general things that are included. Place where it occurred, time of day, directions, etc. So, looking up information on the streets, light/dark/etc.
"Look both ways before you cross a street".... ingrained in most of us since childhood, but still worth reminding people, especially if failing to do so means getting flattened….

Anyway, I think one of the reasons to have these accident reports in A&S is to allow us to consider situations, and what we can do as road users to be safer ourselves, or potentially safety advocacy with community governments for safer infrastructure or safety awareness.Not blaming the cyclist.

Not blaming the driver. But, considering a set of circumstances that came together to create a deadly accident. Alter a few factors, and the cyclist might be alive today.

Somebody didn't get the memo.
I think we're rerunning an argument we've had here before. We already know those are risk factors, how does knowing the details of any given incident tell me something about lighting, for example, that I don't already know?

We're not the NTSB, we're not going to have the resources to do the kind of discussion that might actually uncover some sort of subtle point
Sorry, but I don't think that's how any of this works. I just got hit by a car a couple weeks ago...Definitely a lapse in judgment on my part, and I make no excuses.

But I'm quite sure that whether or not you or anyone else had posted "don't proceed into an intersection if your vision is impaired" would not have had any effect on whether or not I would have caught myself before making that mistake.

I know that's the rule, for some reason I was just tired or distracted enough not to follow it.
A common conclusion from many safety threads is not necessarily specific practices, but how to actively maintain situational awareness. I have often posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
So often on these threads about calamities or near misses, I post about my mindset that I believe gives me that extra edge..
Itry to keep safe with certain aphorisms in my head that come to mind to alert me when I encounter a situation where unseen dangers may lurk, such as “Like a weapon, assume every stopped car is loaded, with an occupant ready to exit from either side.” or“Don’t ride over an area (such as puddles or leaves) when you can’t see the road surface."..

Over the past few months I have come to realize that my safety aphorisms (link), collected over the years by personal or vicarious experience, are my way of actively aligning the stars in my favor, to anticipate those unseen and otherwise unanticipated dangers. FWIW, for my own information at least, my other aphorisms:

Those are all I remember for now, and they all pop-up in my mind as I encounter the situation.
Yet, not to toot my own horn
(from a now-closed thread) I think I have absorbed all the good advice I can for a complete and agreeable cycling lifestyle, and recently I have clicked on many fewer threads than before.

In the past I have offered IMO several useful suggestions about cycling, particularly for winter and urban cycling, to multiple repetitive threads. They are usually lost in the morass of often scores of replies, both in agreement and dispute with mine.
Originally Posted by alan s
You do realize that once this is out of the top 5 threads, no one will read it, and after it drops off the first page, it is ancient history.

Good luck keeping it active and getting anything useful out of it
So with this persistent churning of threads with numerous posts I continue to post to keep my advice in the moment, FWIW.

For example:
… 90% of us also know that trucks making a right turn is bad news. But, it never hurts to remind that remaining 10% that the rear wheels don't track with the front wheels. Simply stopping next to a turning truck can be deadly
FWIW, for my own information at least, my other aphorisms [include]:

1)…6)...

7) truck at corner in sight, don't go right." I’m also wary of passing on the right at an intersection, especially next to a bus or truck, after reading of fatalities on my routes)

8)...9)...

Those are all I remember for now, and they all pop-up in my mind as I encounter the situation.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-11-19 at 11:13 PM.
Likes For Jim from Boston: