Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1978 Holdsworth Frame Upgrades

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1978 Holdsworth Frame Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-20, 03:31 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by davefidd
jlaw you can see some pics now
Yes - very nice!

I agree with others - keep the fork. I like modern components but I don't think that the expense of a carbon fork will be worth it -might save a few grams (and look pretty cool on an old frame with original paint) but actually provide a harsher ride than that nice steel fork (531 steel?) you have now with the 'flick' or curve at at the bottom.

Here's my suggestion - which I've recommended many times before to other posters:

650b wheels - this will allow for larger tires - maybe 35 to 38mm. Measure a distance of 320mm from the front and rear axle to the choke points (fork crown, chain stays, seat stays). The distance between the forks, chain stays, and seat stays will tell you how wide a tire is possible with 650b. Leave yourself at least 4mm clearance on each side of the tire.

If you go 650b you will need longer-reach brakes. The Tektro 559s are a popular and affordable choice for this. Measure the reach that you actually need before buying (brake bolt hole to the rim) - you may be able to use a 'medium-reach' brake or there is a small possibility that you would need something longer than the 73mm max. that the 559s provide. This question should be answered BEFORE you decide to use 650b wheels. You'll need to make sure that your brake levers work with the new brakes (long pull vs. short pull).

If you can fit a 130mm hub between the rear dropouts I'd go with a 2x10 drivetrain with a super compact crank. An MTB crank with something like 40/28 and a 10 speed cassette with 11/32 or 11/34 is nice if you have hills. Flatter terrain or stronger rider might go with a 46/30 crank (the new Shimano GRX 10 speed gravel components are reasonably priced). You'll need a new RD, but the original FD might work if you are friction shifting the FD. I like Shimano 10 speed indexed downtube shifters - but they only work with a road RD. If you are going to use brifters then you should consult your vendor (or BF) to make sure all your new parts are compatible.

For the stem you can use a threadless adapter in order to be able to use 31.8 bars and a threadless stem with a removable faceplate. Or, you could re-use the existing 1" threaded stem and bars - or a Nitto Technomic (tall) stem with original bars or new bars that are 26.0(?)mm like the original. Another option - Velo Orange makes a cool 1" threaded stem with a removable face plate - a bit pricey but nice quality and less ugly than a threadless adapter. https://velo-orange.com/collections/...ceplate-31-8mm

You can re-use the seat post and whatever seat you want.

Get some fenders that are about 10 to 15mm wider than your new tires. Your frame and fork are ready to accept these. Fender installation requires some fiddling and patience. Good fenders come with a bag of hardware that should cover all of the possible challenges.

How much stuff do you want to carry on this bike? This is not a touring rig or an 'adventure' bike - light/medium loads only. Perhaps a front rack with a bag of some sort. Here's one possibility that should be fairly easy to fit - but this means installing fender stays and the bottom connection for this rack into the lone eyelet near the dropouts on your fork. https://velo-orange.com/collections/racks/products/vo-
constructeur-front-rack

Basically, I'm recommending a randonneur-style bike. I simply like the looks and function of that style. However, my ideas are adding some weight to your bike - but to me that doesn't matter. If done this way the completed bike would probably weight in the neighborhood of 28 to 30#.

So, these are my ideas - there are plenty of other possibilities.

Old 06-06-20, 04:09 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
Hi Jetboy, yeah that's pretty much what I want to achieve and one of the main reasons why I want to put together a bike with such features. Unfortunately I live in Scotland, sorry pal!
Its a good path: one i have done myself in the past, but then moved and changed jobs so that I have a lot more open flat then huge hills on my commute so throwing my fully geared bike on my shoulder is a small price to pay for the speed and climbing capabilities gears give me.

Also Scotland makes sense: few in the US would be thinking to mod a Holdsworth as they are relatively rare (and beautiful) - and why not just mod a Schwinn?

As others I'd keep the fork as unless you spend serious money on a CF fork, its not actually that much of a weight gain. The weight vs price is huge on CF forks: cheap ones are heavy, expensive ones are light- if you have the cash, go for it and get something ridiculous. but if you have not, you wont gain much if anything over the original.

bars and cranks- yes: why not. seatpost and saddle, sure. then its all about the wheels. I have not found a set of wheels that are light, strong, and smooth for less than $300 USD. so that is a big consideration but makes more difference for the ride than anything else.
Old 06-07-20, 02:39 AM
davefidd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks jlaw , all good ideas and advice! I'll give it a thought!
Old 06-07-20, 02:43 AM
davefidd

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
jetboy thanks for your thoughts Yeah, at the end of the day the CF fork is more of a cosmetic choice for me as I can't afford to spend hundreds on a very light product. What about lightweight wheels for no more than 300 bucks? Any recommendations? Cheers! D
Old 06-07-20, 06:06 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
I've never understood the reason for this. Once you take an older steel bike and change the fork for carbon fiber and put some sort of deep dish modern wheels on it the ride characteriistics are completely lost so why would you do it?

I've replaced all freewheels with a cassette hub to reduce axle issues but still use box section rims to get the ride quality. I can understand upgrading to index downtube shifters. If you want an all modern bike just go buy one.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 06-07-20, 06:37 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Thanks Wildwood ! Which fork did you use?
I would like to toss my two coppers onto the table here, concerning 1" threadless forks. My advice is that if you are still going to do this, unzip your skull, and wash your brain with hot soapy water. Let dry, and resume coherent thought. My experiences with 1" threadless has been in range of poor to just north of unsatisfactory. This, and if you wanted to run a handlebar sized in 31.8, the stem choices are even fewer. Not good. My Bilenky has 1" threadless, and I consider it the only flaw in the bike.

Can you tell how I feel about 1" threadless?
Old 06-07-20, 07:13 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
Yes - very nice!

I agree with others - keep the fork. I like modern components but I don't think that the expense of a carbon fork will be worth it -might save a few grams (and look pretty cool on an old frame with original paint) but actually provide a harsher ride than that nice steel fork (531 steel?) you have now with the 'flick' or curve at at the bottom.

Here's my suggestion - which I've recommended many times before to other posters:

650b wheels - this will allow for larger tires - maybe 35 to 38mm. Measure a distance of 320mm from the front and rear axle to the choke points (fork crown, chain stays, seat stays). The distance between the forks, chain stays, and seat stays will tell you how wide a tire is possible with 650b. Leave yourself at least 4mm clearance on each side of the tire.

If you go 650b you will need longer-reach brakes. The Tektro 559s are a popular and affordable choice for this. Measure the reach that you actually need before buying (brake bolt hole to the rim) - you may be able to use a 'medium-reach' brake or there is a small possibility that you would need something longer than the 73mm max. that the 559s provide. This question should be answered BEFORE you decide to use 650b wheels. You'll need to make sure that your brake levers work with the new brakes (long pull vs. short pull).

If you can fit a 130mm hub between the rear dropouts I'd go with a 2x10 drivetrain with a super compact crank. An MTB crank with something like 40/28 and a 10 speed cassette with 11/32 or 11/34 is nice if you have hills. Flatter terrain or stronger rider might go with a 46/30 crank (the new Shimano GRX 10 speed gravel components are reasonably priced). You'll need a new RD, but the original FD might work if you are friction shifting the FD. I like Shimano 10 speed indexed downtube shifters - but they only work with a road RD. If you are going to use brifters then you should consult your vendor (or BF) to make sure all your new parts are compatible.

For the stem you can use a threadless adapter in order to be able to use 31.8 bars and a threadless stem with a removable faceplate. Or, you could re-use the existing 1" threaded stem and bars - or a Nitto Technomic (tall) stem with original bars or new bars that are 26.0(?)mm like the original. Another option - Velo Orange makes a cool 1" threaded stem with a removable face plate - a bit pricey but nice quality and less ugly than a threadless adapter. https://velo-orange.com/collections/...ceplate-31-8mm

You can re-use the seat post and whatever seat you want.

Get some fenders that are about 10 to 15mm wider than your new tires. Your frame and fork are ready to accept these. Fender installation requires some fiddling and patience. Good fenders come with a bag of hardware that should cover all of the possible challenges.

How much stuff do you want to carry on this bike? This is not a touring rig or an 'adventure' bike - light/medium loads only. Perhaps a front rack with a bag of some sort. Here's one possibility that should be fairly easy to fit - but this means installing fender stays and the bottom connection for this rack into the lone eyelet near the dropouts on your fork. https://velo-orange.com/collections/racks/products/vo-
constructeur-front-rack

Basically, I'm recommending a randonneur-style bike. I simply like the looks and function of that style. However, my ideas are adding some weight to your bike - but to me that doesn't matter. If done this way the completed bike would probably weight in the neighborhood of 28 to 30#.

So, these are my ideas - there are plenty of other possibilities.
That's basically what I did to my 81 Holdsworth Special. The 650B wheels fit fine with Weinmann 750's.
Old 06-07-20, 11:44 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts

There's mine. Columbus minimal fork.
Carbon bars , allloy stem shimmed and 1 inch everything else.
Threadlless is the way to go so many more options. So simple to work on. And for me an excellent upgrade.
Old 06-07-20, 01:11 PM
davefidd

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
blamester nice! This is pretty much what I had in mind. Would that fork suit a fixed gear bike? Thanks! D
Old 06-07-20, 01:41 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
I have spent most of my working life renovating and restoring homes. As a hobby, I do the same with bicycles. If I can't do a faithful restoration using all of the original parts, then I at least use period correct parts of the same performance level.

Last edited by branko_76; 06-07-20 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-07-20, 02:53 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 746 Times in 407 Posts
I say go for it. It's an unadorned frame that's ready for some more riding, whatever the groupset.

RiddleOfSteel has made some really nice retro roadies, he might have some advice to give.
Old 06-07-20, 05:25 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
Yes: I think people are still a bit colored as we in the US have a bit of reverence to a nice holdsworth frame. In your neck of the woods they are far more common.

But I do agree: if you aren't up to spend the serious money, then your original fork is way better than anything you can get at a price point. Let that go as you are getting nothing for a ton of money- where it could be spend better in wheels. many modern sets would fine- I like ultegra 6800 if I have the chance- not the lightest but smoothest i've ever had and quality. Shimano has its issues but its a hard sell to say they don't do things right in terms of a quality product.
Old 06-07-20, 05:32 PM
grindher

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Fixed gear?

I believe the OP is going to set it up as a fixed gear.
I could be wrong.
Post#10

Last edited by grindher; 06-07-20 at 05:37 PM. Reason: added post#10
Old 06-07-20, 07:22 PM
blamester
Blamester

blamester nice! This is pretty much what I had in mind. Would that fork suit a fixed gear bike? Thanks! D
No problem single speed.
So easy to set up.
Tbh if I was doing it again I would buy the hylix fork and inspect it. They are cheap.
Old 06-07-20, 07:36 PM
blamester
Blamester

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I've never understood the reason for this. Once you take an older steel bike and change the fork for carbon fiber and put some sort of deep dish modern wheels on it the ride characteriistics are completely lost so why would you do it?

I've replaced all freewheels with a cassette hub to reduce axle issues but still use box section rims to get the ride quality. I can understand upgrading to index downtube shifters. If you want an all modern bike just go buy one.
I can see your point on this but it can be a brilliant upgrade over a steel fork. It's so easy to adjust the fit. They are light and handle good. Modern carbon bars are very good.
And most modern road bikes look awful.
So don't knock it till you have tried it.
I wouldn't put one on every bike but they have a place if you know what you want.

Last edited by blamester; 06-07-20 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-07-20, 07:46 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
That's basically what I did to my 81 Holdsworth Special. The 650B wheels fit fine with Weinmann 750's.
Looks great! Big bike.
Old 06-08-20, 10:57 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
I can understand the fixed gear appeal, i.e. keeping it simple. What I don't get is the carbon fork, how is that an "upgrade" ?
Likes For branko_76:
Old 06-08-20, 01:03 PM
davefidd

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
branko_76 Hi! The fork was more for the sake of weight reduction and also a modern look .. But since most people recommended not to change the fork I might just stick to the original..
Likes For davefidd: