Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 06-08-20, 10:48 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Fiesta and parking are open and the road is pristine.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 06-08-20, 11:42 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
How was the weather? Did you stay up there? I want to go back and ride some trails again.
Weather was perfect: high 70s. We came up to escape the heat in Sac (102F). My family has a place in Tahoe City so it’s pretty easy for us to go up. Kids still had Zoom classes, but we were able to spend a lot f time outside.
Likes For caloso:
Old 06-09-20, 08:22 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
I have a group of riding friends back in Montana who put on a "Working Man's Training Camp" every May where they ride 50 miles a day on the same route at 5:30am each day for a week, in lieu of jetting off to some warm, exotic location in February. The idea is that you can get relatively big miles in every day before work and since it's the same route every day people can join where they can if they don't make the start. I'm thinking about doing my own solo for type 2 fun next week. We can do 2up rides here in Scotland now, but I don't know if I'll get any takers with the early start (I love early rides!).
Likes For Yep:
Old 06-09-20, 06:31 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Fiesta team time trial 20K. The wind was very light and temps okay. It was fabulous to be riding Fiesta again.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 06-09-20, 10:50 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
Fiesta is great, ain't it? I found myself out there as well this evening, Very windy though.

Rest week randomness today, ~45 min on the MTB this morning and then about twice that much in the evening on the road bike. I rode with my guitar player out to Fiesta for a couple laps and then back. He rides sometimes, owns a totally period-correct TdF Lemond Gan team bike from 1994. We're close enough in size and ride the same pedals (Look) so we swapped bikes a couple times on the ride. Fun!

Tomorrow morning I will head back out there for a 1x20' or 30' on the TT bike, tempo-SST watts by feel.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 06-10-20, 08:01 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Richmond hilly loop is a perfect little VO workout. Warmup, hammer hill, short recover, hill sprint, short recover, threshold to the line. Cooloff, repeat.

275w NP for the hour. I soft pedaled a touch after the tough efforts then rode in upper Z2. So AP was still 230w. I was able to recover in upper Z2 for these, yessssssss. The HR tracking on the efforts and recovery was looking really good, like the investment in aerobic paid off.

Over 450 for 1:30 up the KOMs and over 500 up the little hill sprint. Almost got both KOMs, two seconds shy.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 06-11-20, 08:03 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

High intensity isometrics yesterday. I hit the targets for max bone growth but not as much force as last week. The trainer said it is typical for force generation to vary. It may have been the TTT from the day before. The primary goal of this work is bone growth with strength gains as an upside. Our gym is opening on Friday so back to the mines.
Old 06-11-20, 09:20 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Our gym is opening on Friday so back to the mines.
Lucky. Not sure when our gyms will reopen.
Old 06-11-20, 01:03 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Didn't get solid training in this week. After camping Sunday night and terrible allergies I was sleeping too much to train on Monday or Tuesday. Yesterday I spent too much time researching a portable monitor to buy. Did a group ride last night, got some ride time in there. Almost up to 0 TSB by now. Not a bad thing I guess. I'm missing the gym though, and seem to be down ~4 lbs. I'm gonna be a weakling when the gym reopens in July.
Old 06-11-20, 01:27 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Rest week continues, headed to Fiesta for the second day in a row to spend a little more time in aero on the TT bike. Ended up with ~26 min min, two long laps and one short. I felt pretty powerful with high SST just going off feel.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 06-11-20, 02:23 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
more sweet spot, every day is 60mins time in zone. 3 more weeks of this routine (building to 80-90min TIZ by the end of the block). I've also been taking (forcing lol) my son to get out and exercise and we've done 6hrs together this week, two 17mile rides on a local bike path and two 11mile rides around our .25mile neighborhood. we're averaging about 11mph the last couple of rides, so a little more peppy than 7-8mph lol
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 06-11-20, 02:49 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Lucky. Not sure when our gyms will reopen.
Hopefully ours will stay open.
Old 06-11-20, 02:51 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
you gym rats can just come up to MA, this guy should be your hero lol

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/06/...own-officials/
Old 06-11-20, 06:36 PM
aaronmcd

Oh I just got an email that my gym is opening equipment use on sidewalks starting Tuesday! Only 55 minute sessions and no racks or large machines, but supposedly we can use barbells, dumbbells, and benches.
Likes For aaronmcd:
Old 06-11-20, 09:57 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Zwift Race, didn't do too hot, was one of the last in the group of A's. My wattage was down about 20, but I was far from fresh so I'm not too concerned. CTL at 84....I don't why but it is.

It looks like our local group ride numbers are relatively back to normal, the people holding out from the rona are being replaced by newbies.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 06-12-20, 08:20 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Rode outside for first time since beginning of March last Sunday on my race bike. I did noodle around with GF on my fixie around the neighborhood thought. What a difference in terms of handling, and acceleration. I guess before when I was riding it regularly I just got used to it, and it felt normal. lol
Likes For UmneyDurak:
Old 06-12-20, 02:01 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

First gym workout in 3 months. It was great to be back in the gym with others and the associated energy.

Interestingly, the high intensity isometrics seem to be working, since the weights I was previously using in the gym felt too light. I was not into increasing weight today. I will see how this develops over time. Maybe all I need is the once per week high intensity session.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 06-12-20, 02:15 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Going to be doing the "Virtual Friday Night Racing" tonight on Zwift with other SD Velodrome members. They've been doing these every Friday night but typically I want to relax and hang out with the lady after work. I'm excited to participate and reconnect with many of the regulars!

The plan is do to a private 45 minute group workout "pre-warmup" then jump into a Zwift race. So far I'm the only "A" signed up out of our group. It's one lap around the volcano which sounds wickedly high intensity (<10 min). I might just bail and free-ride Watopia another few minutes (rest week) but it kinda sounds like fun. Gonna play it by ear and see.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 06-13-20, 08:41 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Hit a rest week just as work got nasty. We are revamping an elementary school (our niche) and the massive kitchen needed the concrete slab sawcut to shreds. Unfortunately, the instability of the cut slab meant no excavators could work safely within the structure soooo it needed to be excavated by hand. We had nobody else available to do the work, so I volunteered to make some fat prevailing wage booty and work up a sweat. Ended up hand shoveling 4 dump truck loads of rock out of a building via wheelbarrow. Not much of a recovery week, methinks.
Old 06-13-20, 08:56 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

@Cypress Yikes. I would need a rest week from the rest week plus a trip to the ortho doc for my back.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 06-13-20, 12:18 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Did the Zwift race, ended up with around 8' at about 5.1 w/kg, which for me is 333 w. Very surge-y as well. That got me 12th/105. It was a mass start with all categories (one lap volcano), only about 40 A's. The Zwift race thing is kind of interesting, def. some different strategies involved than normal road. I look forward to trying more! A few times during the race I would surge over a small roller and find myself at the front, but backing off to let people pass doesn't work the same way as IRL, I would get passed by like 15 people. I think it favors a much more steady effort than real racing. I wonder what a more consistent power would have done for me as far as energy in the last 0.5 miles goes.

More TT work on Fiesta this morning, 30' or so at SST. Actually stopped at 28' b/c my legs were pretty sore, I think from last night and lack of recovery (stretching). It's been a rest week so my TSB is high and I'm not tired, just have some sore legs on a micro level.

Rest day tomorrow.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 06-13-20, 01:40 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Did the Zwift race, ended up with around 8' at about 5.1 w/kg, which for me is 333 w. Very surge-y as well. That got me 12th/105. It was a mass start with all categories (one lap volcano), only about 40 A's. The Zwift race thing is kind of interesting, def. some different strategies involved than normal road. I look forward to trying more! A few times during the race I would surge over a small roller and find myself at the front, but backing off to let people pass doesn't work the same way as IRL, I would get passed by like 15 people. I think it favors a much more steady effort than real racing. I wonder what a more consistent power would have done for me as far as energy in the last 0.5 miles goes.

More TT work on Fiesta this morning, 30' or so at SST. Actually stopped at 28' b/c my legs were pretty sore, I think from last night and lack of recovery (stretching). It's been a rest week so my TSB is high and I'm not tired, just have some sore legs on a micro level.

Rest day tomorrow.
I still really haven't found the the key to winning races in Zwift, but you definitely have to be in the front group at the start (which can be hard because sometimes its all out for 2 minutes) and solo breaks are close to impossible. Since I have no sprint, my technique has always been to get in the lead group, and whittle the group away via attrition and try to get away in the last 5 minutes. It almost works in hilly races, never on the flats.

So its kind of like RL, get a sprint = win races.

I stopped racing the B's because I'd always get in the selection group but lose in a sprint; not enough power to get away. I can probably do 4.5 for 5m but I'd need 5. In the A's I'm mid pack, but I'm being pushed to do more because the pace is faster and there are targets ahead.
Old 06-13-20, 03:36 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
The guy who set course records on most of the hill climbs I did last year, and also won mount washington, recently soloed away at the end of a virtual rendition of one of the big annual central park (New York) races. Embarrassingly I watched the stream of it. He was doing, as I recall 6 watts/kg at the end there and hung on to win by like 9 seconds.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 06-14-20, 09:32 PM
aaronmcd

Didn't get to ride yesterday but went for a 12 mile hike up at Tomales Point with my wife. The mile or so at the end of the point is unmaintained and was pretty overgrown, and I got terrible allergies. Woke up in pain in the middle of the night, and slept almost 10 hours.

Felt ok today. Rode to the cycle track and did 2 hours at ~89%, just to get as much steady TSS in as little time as possible. My lower back, neck, and even feet aren't accustomed to this.
Likes For aaronmcd:
Old 06-16-20, 12:16 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

1.5 hrs w 2x20's by feel, road bike on Fiesta. Did the first at 95%, second at 102%... It probably helped that the Tuesday morning burnout paceline ride was starting up again so I wanted to look fast as riders trickled in to warm up. It was fun after my workout to stop and chat for a bit.

It can take my legs so long to warm up in the AM. HR pretty low for the first one. It's like my internal clock is early (ish) and I'm mentally ready to train, but I most often end up negative splitting my AM intervals or feeling more limber as I go. I think I'm generally capable of more power in the afternoons, but the morning are when I prefer to train.
Likes For TMonk:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.