Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Zunow Hummingbird

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Zunow Hummingbird

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-20, 05:15 AM
Baypathbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Zunow Hummingbird

A neighbor has offered me a Zunow Hummingbird with the "Designed by Zunow" decal on the top tube at the aft end near the seat tube lug, so not the bespoke Zunow version with the ornate cast lugs. The bike has a Shimano 600 Tri-color group on it and has issues including a missing front wheel and installation of aero bars, I am curious as to whether there is a reference out there to serial numbers on these, I need to make decisions here on acquisition and sourcing date correct parts including the 600 front hub, Mavic rim and bladed spokes, Thanks Todd
Old 07-08-20, 01:37 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
I don't know if there is a serial number reference- but i know some other Zunow "production" bikes- not made in his own Osaka shop- were made by Miyata. So it might be a Miyata built bike to Kageyama's specs, which should be a dang fine bicycle. the non production models do not have serial numbers (edit: old thread posted below proves I am wrong.. forgot they have numbers near the drop outs.. probably sequential but no dates)

I think the hummingbirds were Tang Prestige tubing? so also top of the line tubing- best out of Japan and perhaps the world at the time.

Last edited by jetboy; 07-08-20 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-08-20, 01:41 PM
NatusEstInSuht

Bikes: 1970's Piasentin Super Vitus 971, 1979 Carlton Professional, 2005 Trek 5000, 2011 Niner EMD, 2018 Argon 18 XRoad, 1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 55 Posts
Others have been asking this same question. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...pretation.html It appears there is not a reference.

As for the Shimano 600 components, cross reference what you have with VeloBase's database. VeloBase.com - View Group
Old 07-08-20, 02:11 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Hummingbirds are not the handmade pieces of art models , but they are really nice bikes none the less. I would take one!

post some pics of it if you can. dont see Zunow's that often!
Old 07-08-20, 03:01 PM
Baypathbike

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I hate camera phones but here is a quick pic
Old 07-08-20, 04:02 PM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 147 Posts
I just picked up a Zunow Humingbird locally, that my brother-in-law in AZ purchased off CL. His is also built with a full 600 group. It's super clean too, near mint condition. Build quality is very very good. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's a Miyata built frame.
Old 07-08-20, 04:45 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
since @fleslider posted, we also know that some of the "Centurion" Iron Man racing bikes were actually Zunow in centurion clothing! makes me wonder if the centurion prestige and the hummingbird (prestige tubing) may have some similarities.