Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What is your quintessential Silver Era, USA bike boom bicycle (circa 1965-1975)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What is your quintessential Silver Era, USA bike boom bicycle (circa 1965-1975)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-15, 09:09 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
I grew up around Raleighs. As much as I'd love to say it was a Competition, or an International, or a Professional, or even a Team Professional, I think a Grand Prix or Super Course would get the nod.

Most iconic... It would either be a PX-10, or a Raleigh Team Professional (as I stretch the end date of this window out to 1977)
Old 12-18-15, 03:18 PM
LeicaLad 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
While I've heard of the Golden Era, and of the Bike Boom, I'd never seen the label "Silver" applied to the Boom period.

The Golden era produced the first paved roads in America, too. They were because of the cyclists, not automobiles that came later.

Anyway, 1971 Gitane Tour de France.

I ordered the gaspipe InterClub, which was $123. The shipment arrived sans my bike and the shop owner took pity on my utter dejected state, and offered me the TdF for $169. I had to borrow $, but did it. It came with very fine silk sew-ups, to boot. I still have the bike and rode it today.
* 1971 Gitane Super Corsa (crashed)
* rebuilt as upright cruiser
1971 Gitane Super Corsa #2 (sweet replacement)
1980 Ritchey Road Touring (The Grail Bike)
1982 Tom Ritchey Everest
(replacing stolen 1981 TR Everest custom)
1982 Tom Ritchey McKinley (touring pickup truck)
1985 ALAN Record (Glued & Screwed. A gift.)
Likes For LeicaLad:
Old 12-23-15, 09:37 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
I will throw a vote in for the Raleigh Grand Prix.

A guy I once worked with told me all about his Grand Prix he had when he was in his teens. "It was the best Raleigh you could buy" he told me. I explained to him about the other top end Raleighs, but he replied , "No, the Grand Prix was the top of the line at T.L. Fritts".

T.L. Fritts is a local sporting goods store, and along with many other sporting goods stores during the boom years, would stock the Raleigh Record for the budget conscious and "the top of the line" Grand Prix for the sports oriented rider. The Super Course and higher end bikes were for the bike shops to sell. But to many the Grand Prix was the best bike you could buy.
Old 12-23-15, 09:54 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
The Varsity.

I was born in '69 so my contribution to this thread can be discounted.

When I was growing up in Santa Barbara, California, we would ride our bikes through the college town (1978-83?), and the survivors were the Varsitys. They were dubbed "IV Cruisers" and most were relegated to single speed duty with the bars rotated backwards (bar ends facing forward).

The Free Spirit was also in abundance, but the Varsity was the king.
Old 12-24-15, 08:04 PM
spiker

Bikes: Lotus Odyssey - Shogun 400 - '75 Raleigh Tourist - Raleigh Grand Prix - Gitane Tour de France- Schwinn Le Tour - Univega Maxima Sport (winter bike) Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Another nod to the Grand Prix. Seemed to come out of nowhere. Through HS no bikes, college, bikes. I got a Record, think it was $96 , Grand Prix was $125 , minimum wage $1.40. That price difference was hard to ignore. One buddy who got a good job as a draftsman after graduating from voc hs got a Super Course. The difference was obvious. This was '70 or so. But I just remember seeing GP's everywhere.

The very first 10 speed I ever saw was in 1967. Friend's brother got a Dynamax for 8th grade graduation. His mom got it at the department store she worked at. Anyone ever heard of this brand?
Old 12-24-15, 09:40 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by spiker
The very first 10 speed I ever saw was in 1967. Friend's brother got a Dynamax for 8th grade graduation. His mom got it at the department store she worked at. Anyone ever heard of this brand?
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...de-france.html

You saw this right?
Old 12-24-15, 10:14 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
I grew up around Raleighs. As much as I'd love to say it was a Competition, or an International, or a Professional, or even a Team Professional, I think a Grand Prix or Super Course would get the nod.

Most iconic... It would either be a PX-10, or a Raleigh Team Professional (as I stretch the end date of this window out to 1977)
I borrowed this slide from USAZorro, not USA pedigree but as others have posted bikes from different countries I thought I would chime in with my candidate..... It is an allegro with smoke fade paint.
I remember seeing one at the local schwinn dealer,it had black veins on it and was so out of reach but such a piece of art...never rode it and never forgot it.
Light, limited numbers and very exotic.

Regards, Ben
Attached Images

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Last edited by xiaoman1; 12-24-15 at 10:28 PM. Reason: heard santa's sleigh
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 12-24-15, 11:17 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
Most kids in my neighborhood wanted a Schwinn. A couple kids owned one. They were the richer kids. I had a $22 Wards Hawthorne. No where near as cool as a Schwinn. Once I got a job at 15 I bought a white Varsity. I didn't know there were truly nice bikes out there.
Old 12-25-15, 09:42 AM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 160 Posts
Fun thread. I missed this era of cycling, but I do remember being in a bike shop a bit later and aching over a black and white Peugeot. I didn’t know anything about road bikes, but somehow knew that one was lustworthy. The checkerboard motif was just so cool. I wonder now if it was a PX10.

I’ve since had the chance to ride a UO8 and found it to be a capable machine. I think I would’ve felt lucky to own one back then.

I’m guessing a lot of the Schwinn mystique during this era was due to the fact that 1) they weren’t making just department store bikes and 2) they were made in America.
Old 12-25-15, 01:07 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
"Firenze" was TV Lenny's (Len Matioli) brand. One year he got dinged by the CPSC and had to "upgrade" the brakes on all his bikes with Mathauser pads. When I lived in Madison, I used to scavenge those pads from bikes left on the curb at the end of the semester. I still have a set on one of my bikes.
In the SF Bay Area, it was Matthew's, Top of the Hill, Daly City (the town that "Little Boxes" was written about, aka the theme song to Weeds). Buy a stereo, get a bike. Buy a tv, get a bike. They also gave away a Firenze. They were so bad that most bike shops refused to work on them for liability issues, also because it gave the impression that bikes were so cheap they should be given away.
Old 12-25-15, 01:19 PM
jjames1452 

Bikes: Trek 720, Trek 620, Trek 520, Steel Schwinns, AD Puch, Kona, Nishiki Pro, All City Disc Spacehorse, Waterford

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Shp4man
Here's what I was riding back then. It was an ultracool ride. (then)

I'm well over 50, and would ride that, and think it was cool now!
Old 12-25-15, 06:00 PM
CuttersRidge

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have Glenn's Bicycle manual and in it, they work on Peugeots so, not my favorite bicycle but that is what I'd vote for. Yes, Schwinns and others are in there too but that jumps out at me. Then, there was John Marino's bike manual and his wearing the checkered jersey along with his bicycle. That is probably cerca 1981, he won an early race across America (RAAM).

Honorable mention, I think if one is in Canada, CCM and some of their '70s offerings which in those days, probably looked even better. I happen to have a Reynolds "straight gauge" 531 on the 3 main tubes from then.

Last edited by CuttersRidge; 12-25-15 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-27-15, 08:20 PM
spiker

Bikes: Lotus Odyssey - Shogun 400 - '75 Raleigh Tourist - Raleigh Grand Prix - Gitane Tour de France- Schwinn Le Tour - Univega Maxima Sport (winter bike) Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Uncle uncle, thanks for the link. Can't recall any details other than the color, brown, bronze? That bike was my introduction to derailer bikes. I was a sophomore in hs and it was no more than a passing curiosity.
Old 12-27-15, 08:45 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Growing up in small town hell, Arizona, the Free Spirit was pretty much the only 10-speed game in town as far as I can remember, and I got one sometime around 8th or 9th grade. Mostly though, as I was a young'un in the 70s, it was about the BMX bikes for us. A couple of kids had Rampar (Raleigh?) BMXs and all I can remember of them are these super long cranks that'd grab the ground any time you tried pedalling through a turn. The rich kids had Schwinns, the cool kids had chrome Mongooses, and since I was neither I rode department store bikes throughout my youth.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 12-28-15, 10:32 AM
bassogap

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale R5000 1986 Basso Gap(Super Record) 1986 Schwinn Voyager SP 1975 Schwinn Paramount Track Bike 1974 Raleigh RRA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
boy, that smoke allegro....I was working at a shop in 1975 that offered the allegro for $415-tipo hubs and stronglight crank....an international was $385 back then.

Last edited by bassogap; 12-28-15 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-28-15, 02:32 PM
MKahrl

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Falcon San Remo. Central Ohio was awash in them where they competed with Schwinn, Raleigh, Peugeot, Gitane, and Nishiki. Falcon imports petered out and stopped in the early 1980's so nearly all of them you see today are Bike Boom bikes.

I saw a Falcon recently on a COTA bus rack so they're still being used to get people to work.

What sort of celebration will we have in 2021 to honor all the 50 year old bikes still on the road?
Old 01-05-16, 10:57 AM
CuttersRidge

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Falcon Black Diamond is suppose to be a great bike. Falcon headbadge is tremendous as well. I know little about this bike but apparently, some are big fans of the marquee.

Last edited by CuttersRidge; 01-05-16 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-01-20, 06:55 AM
kantquit

Bikes: FeltV90f

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cheetah bike

Originally Posted by Pompiere
This was it for me too. I got an orange Huffy Cheetah Slick when I was about 7 and rode it until I got a Kabuki ten speed when I was 15. I remember waiting at Kmart in Ft. Wayne for them to bring it out, and thinking how strange it was for my parents to be buying me a new bike and it wasn't even Christmas or my birthday.
I found what I think is an old Cheetah stingray type bike pretty rough shape no name badge on it,I’m trying to decide if I want to restore it but can’t find out what it looked like originally
Old 08-01-20, 09:57 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 1,004 Times in 514 Posts
Originally Posted by kantquit
I found what I think is an old Cheetah stingray type bike pretty rough shape no name badge on it,I’m trying to decide if I want to restore it but can’t find out what it looked like originally
I can't help you with the brand, but it looks pretty complete as is. During the 1960s, every maker had a version. Here is a site that specializes in that type of bike: https://thecabe.com/forum/index/schw...scle-bikes.10/
Old 08-01-20, 10:42 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
My first 10 speed was a basic Nishiki with "rat trap" pedals and turkey levers. I rode that bike everywhere. Fast forward a few years (ahem) and I picked up a mid 70s Sekine SHS 271. The bike is my go to commuter. It's also definitely a silver era bike with chrome socks and lots of shiny aluminum bits. Most importantly it has a set of turkey levers which are almost required on a boom era bike, And it's a Canadian-Japanese import which was imported here during the bike boom era.

Likes For bikemig:
Old 08-01-20, 03:04 PM
Bogester 

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 125 Posts
My 70s bikes, gifts from parents, were this Free-spirit followed by a crappy Huffy ten speed. If I could have chosen what I wanted it would have been a Schwinn. The red LeTour in the catalog was pretty awesome in my mind...Paramount wasn’t even a realistic thought. I think I’ll ride one today!
Likes For Bogester:
Old 08-02-20, 02:50 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Since this thread has come back to life:

When this pic was taken the bike was 38 years old. Peugeot UO-8.

It has gone through several periods of upgrades and restorations. It is currently more upgraded than appears here.

I'd still be riding it if we didn't have covid-19 hanging around. In 2017 (I think it was) I rode it up Cadillac Mt in Acadia National Park.
Likes For jimmuller:
Old 08-02-20, 07:46 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,374 Times in 1,580 Posts
I'll say my '74 Raleigh International.... chromed Nervex lugs, half chromed forks and stays, Campagnolo Record parts, and seriously shiny. Classic!

Steve in Peoria
Old 08-02-20, 10:11 PM
slenten
Lotus Must Recite

Bikes: 1991 Waterford Paramount

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Quintessence for me thru those years: 1966 Schwinn Continental; 1968 Schwinn Krates;
Richard Ballantine's Condor on the 1972 Edition of his bike book; 1975 P13-9 Paramount and Voyageur II.
Old 08-03-20, 04:42 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
^^^^^^ I cringe and my toes curl up when a self appointed "expert bicycle mechanic" decides to publish a photo, world wide, showing him/her working on a bicycle with an adjustable wrench. Oh, I forgot, metric wrenches and sockets were not invented until the '80s.

I really cringe when I witness such in real life. Adjustable wrenches are good for straightening soft steel DOs on BSOs though. Or for holding the fixed nut on a crank removal tool. Our local Giant grocery has happy photos displayed showing happy family life. One has Grandpa helping little Tommy fix his bicycle, with an adjustable wrench. Start em early, Pops!
Likes For Prowler:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.