Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need some advice on PAIR of Chrome Schwinn Paramount P15-9's

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Need some advice on PAIR of Chrome Schwinn Paramount P15-9's

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-20, 05:51 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by miyagibike
Hi, All,

I have just posted some new photos on my Flickr photostream of the 1971 P15-9 Paramount frameset which I have now cleaned and polished somewhat. (the link to my Flickr phototream is below). The 1971 photos start with a rear view of the seat bolt area and ends with a view of the right side of the seat tube/headtube junction.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189736756@N05/

The 1971 P15 has the red pinstriping which made it difficult in regard to dealing with rust specks nearby. I just left them there rather than risk removing/ruining the original pinstriping. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks again to everyone for all of your collective help!
They have gel Evaporust that stays where you put it so you can target any spot you want. It doesn't work as good as soaking in the liquid and is a little challenging to get the dried goo off but totally doable with care.

You can rewet a layer or two, then you have to clean and reapply if necessary.

I would practice on a safe spot to get the hang of it and use a small paint brush to apply.

They had it in stock at Oreilys auto parts and its a bit spendy but does work if you are patient.
Old 09-16-20, 05:57 PM
miyagibike

Bikes: 1970's Kalkhoff, 1980 Univega Gran Turismo, 90's Cannondale 3.0 (Campagnolo) Criterium, 1993 Specialized Epic Carbon, 2001 Merlin Extralight (Tom Kellogg), 2006 Bianchi D2 Crono TT, Trek 5200 OCLV (Campy Record Carbon gruppo, Zero G brakes, 14.7 lbs)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
They have gel Evaporust that stays where you put it so you can target any spot you want. It doesn't work as good as soaking in the liquid and is a little challenging to get the dried goo off but totally doable with care.

You can rewet a layer or two, then you have to clean and reapply if necessary.

I would practice on a safe spot to get the hang of it and use a small paint brush to apply.

They had it in stock at Oreilys auto parts and its a bit spendy but does work if you are patient.
Wow! Fast reply, Merziac - thanks for the great tips! I may try that (or leave it to a new potential owner!) Thanks again!
Likes For miyagibike:
Old 09-16-20, 06:06 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by miyagibike
Wow! Fast reply, Merziac - thanks for the great tips! I may try that (or leave it to a new potential owner!) Thanks again!
You're welcome, if I took my own advice, I would have a huge pile of nice bikes instead of a big pile of stuff but I'm sitting here scouring for info, tips, tricks and such, drooling over your great work.

Looks fantastic.