Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How much do you care about bike weight?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-18-20, 07:59 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts

I probably won't buy any times soon but I have been looking for some time and have 2 on my shortlist now, cost almost the same. Components are equivalent. Already test rode one, the other I will too at some point.

However, one is 1.2kg lighter. The other one isn't heavy for a disc brake endurance bike (8.4kg) but 7.2kg is just very, very light. Now I know I am neither a pro nor does weight actually matter that much, but I do ride a lot up. For sure the light one (sadly I only test rode it on the flat, I will go back to go uphill too) feels light. It was a nice ride. But yes, what do people here think? Should I be less swayed by the weight (depending on test ride, at same weight I would go for the other one).
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 09-18-20, 08:04 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Not much, within reason. I'm not chasing every gram savings possible. Losing it off my body is cheaper.

Likes For Andy Somnifac:
Old 09-18-20, 08:13 AM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
It sounds as though one bike is an endurance bike with disc brakes. Does that mean the other bike you are considering is more of a race bike with rim brakes? If so, then you are not comparing apples to apples. Your decision between the two bikes should be based on which one you feel will serve your needs better. Endurance bikes are supposed to be designed in such a way as to make riding the bike all day more comfortable. That means there will be some amount of isolation of vibration from the road to the rider. A race bike is designed for speed and is likely more rigid so the rider will feel the road much more. In addition, the disc brakes on the endurance bike will weigh more than rim brakes and could be most of the weight difference between the two bikes. As I see it, weight isn't what should dictate here but how you intend to ride should dictate your choice.
Likes For MntnMan62:
Old 09-18-20, 08:14 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 206 Posts
While light weight really doesn't matter to me ( I carry a lot of extra weight around my waist) there is something about a light bike that seems to be ingrained in the culture. I recently purchased a bike that was weighed in a road test at 7.55 Kg for size M. I got a small, so less I would guess. didn't need light, but it has a certain cache to it, and I think the weight difference of my 2 choices (maybe more than 500 g, 1 lb) played a part in my purchasing decision.
Old 09-18-20, 08:15 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I am more concerned with fit. If the bike is is the $3,000.00 or more range, it will be light enough for me.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 09-18-20, 08:18 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
It would depend on what the bike was for/how it fit within my riding habits. I'm no weight weenie, but lighter is funner, all other things equal, if it's to be an all-around bike. If it were something like a dedicated long-distance bike, I'd go with the heavier if it meant more comfort and better performance for long days.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-18-20, 08:21 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Get the cheaper one. The way I think about bike weight is riding a heavier bike makes me stronger and lighter - truly. I have 3 classics that are 25lbish and a moderno that 17-18ish and they are all much loved and ridden.
Old 09-18-20, 08:30 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by sced
The way I think about bike weight is riding a heavier bike makes me stronger and lighter - truly.
No, not really.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-18-20, 08:34 AM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by MntnMan62
It sounds as though one bike is an endurance bike with disc brakes. Does that mean the other bike you are considering is more of a race bike with rim brakes? If so, then you are not comparing apples to apples. Your decision between the two bikes should be based on which one you feel will serve your needs better. Endurance bikes are supposed to be designed in such a way as to make riding the bike all day more comfortable. That means there will be some amount of isolation of vibration from the road to the rider. A race bike is designed for speed and is likely more rigid so the rider will feel the road much more. In addition, the disc brakes on the endurance bike will weigh more than rim brakes and could be most of the weight difference between the two bikes. As I see it, weight isn't what should dictate here but how you intend to ride should dictate your choice.
Both are endurance bikes both are disk brake both have the same groupset.
Old 09-18-20, 08:36 AM
ZHVelo

Get the cheaper one. The way I think about bike weight is riding a heavier bike makes me stronger and lighter - truly. I have 3 classics that are 25lbish and a moderno that 17-18ish and they are all much loved and ridden.
Price difference is negligible to be honest. Like less than 5% for sure. And not really. Just pedal harder on a lighter bike...
Old 09-18-20, 08:38 AM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
Both are endurance bikes both are disk brake both have the same groupset.
Ok. Then is there a price differential between them? If price is comparable, I'm buying the lighter bike, all other things equal. You said same groupset. Any differences in the quality of other compnents such as the wheelsets? If not, I'd go with the lighter one with similar pricepoints. If the lighter one is significantly more expensive, then I'm no longer counting grams and would go with the less expensive one, all other things equal.
Old 09-18-20, 08:46 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
If they fit the same, i like the look equally, and they cost the same- then sure grab the lighter option.

I ride steel road bikes and am 6'5, so while weight is important to me, it is obviously a different area of the weight spectrum that I operate in. I will never have an incredibly light bike just based on size and what I would be willing to spend.
But yeah, I still consider weight when looking at framesets and all components because why would I want to get a heavier than necessary bike within the parameters that I am considering?

8.4kg or 7.2kg?...if they fit the same and all components are the same/equal, then get the one that looks best. Either way your bike will be very light and you will hold it back instead of the other way around.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-18-20, 08:55 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
I'm good with anything 18 lbs. or lighter.

If you want to get stronger by riding a heavier bike, you need to ride a tandem with your wife.
Old 09-18-20, 09:12 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Light bikes are a fun hobby to chase.

I'd always choose the lighter of two otherwise identical bikes if I had a choice that cost me nothing.

However, in real life it really doesn't matter that much to me compared to other factors. I have a 15.5 lb bike and a 19.5 lb aero bike. I always race the aero bike.
Old 09-18-20, 09:20 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
Color and aesthetics will still play a bigger part at that weight difference for me. Assuming fit, components, price and other things have been justified in my mind.

But it wouldn't be wrong in my opinion to let that be your tie breaker. While others might goad us that we have much more body weight to loose, this is one thing you can do toward the total ride weight that is immediate and relatively permanent.
Old 09-18-20, 09:23 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Fit
Material/Components
Aesthetics
Weight (last)

In that order. None of my bikes are under 19lbs (riding weight).

Last edited by jadocs; 09-18-20 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-18-20, 09:24 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
not all that much really. As long as my road bike is under 25lbs I am good. Mine are closer to 20lbs.

I am more concerned about my weight than my bike.
Old 09-18-20, 09:30 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
It’s a tiebreaker, and worth a bit extra money or effort to reduce, but it’s a low priority.
Old 09-18-20, 09:38 AM
Gary in NJ

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3, 2015 Trek FrankenMarlin Gravel Thing

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 31 Posts
Did both manufacturers provide their weight on the same size frame? Look to see if independent tests of the bikes provide weights different from what that manufacturer has provided. You may find that the bikes weigh the same.
Old 09-18-20, 09:46 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Originally Posted by WhyFi
No, not really.
Physics and common sense disagree with you.
Old 09-18-20, 09:51 AM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by Iride01
Color and aesthetics will still play a bigger part at that weight difference for me. Assuming fit, components, price and other things have been justified in my mind.

But it wouldn't be wrong in my opinion to let that be your tie breaker. While others might goad us that we have much more body weight to loose, this is one thing you can do toward the total ride weight that is immediate and relatively permanent.
Indeed, and I cannot lose much more bodyweight unless I really start to eat conscientiously, which I don't want to. I am already quite low body fat% by most standards.
Old 09-18-20, 09:52 AM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by Gary in NJ
Did both manufacturers provide their weight on the same size frame? Look to see if independent tests of the bikes provide weights different from what that manufacturer has provided. You may find that the bikes weigh the same.
With that much of a difference?
Old 09-18-20, 09:53 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
If you do the same workout (effort x time) you get the same benefit with a lighter, more aero bike; you just go further in the process. It works if, and only if, the slower bike forces/ allows you to spend more time pedaling on a time-limited workout.
Old 09-18-20, 09:54 AM
WhyFi

No, not really.
Old 09-18-20, 10:53 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
If you do the same workout (effort x time) you get the same benefit with a lighter, more aero bike; you just go further in the process. It works if, and only if, the slower bike forces/ allows you to spend more time pedaling on a time-limited workout.
Nobody I know rides until they've burned a specific amount of energy=calories and then stops. Excepting special cases, for a given route=ride=course a person will do more work on a heavier/less efficient bike that a lighter/more efficient bike, and more work requires more energy/calories - it's physics and common sense.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.