Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1984 Miyata One Thousand resto

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-18-20, 06:43 PM
Chronosvandien

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone, newbie here. I have a One Thousand that I'm trying to get back in good shape and need some help finding parts. I thought everything was fixed and good after sitting for 25 years, replaced tires/tubes and a few other things then took it for my first ride on it but ended up busting the pawls in the cassette.
My problem is I'm having a hard time finding replacement pawls. Does anyone on here know a good source for Miyata parts? I've not had much luck with searches or local shops. Thanks for any info.
Old 09-18-20, 06:59 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 967 Times in 507 Posts
The pawls aren't Miyata parts, but whoever made the freewheel, most likely Shimano. It's pretty hard to find replacement pawls, and a pain to put them in. It would be much easier to buy a new freewheel and be on your way.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 09-18-20, 07:02 PM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
Hmm,,I think you have a freewheel, not a cassette. Most people would buy a new freewheel...but I'm sure more knowledgeable will chime in.
It came with a 5 speed Shimano UG 14-28. I don't know is Shimano still makes anything like that, but Sunrace has a 5 speed 14-28 for less than 15 dollars.
Old 09-18-20, 07:12 PM
Chronosvandien

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
The pawls aren't Miyata parts, but whoever made the freewheel, most likely Shimano. It's pretty hard to find replacement pawls, and a pain to put them in. It would be much easier to buy a new freewheel and be on your way.
I dont know much about bikes so I'm learning as I go. I haven't been able to find any the same size anyways. Your option sounds like it might be the way to go. Thanks.
Old 09-18-20, 07:16 PM
Chronosvandien

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John Nolan
Hmm,,I think you have a freewheel, not a cassette. Most people would buy a new freewheel...but I'm sure more knowledgeable will chime in.
It came with a 5 speed Shimano UG 14-28. I don't know is Shimano still makes anything like that, but Sunrace has a 5 speed 14-28 for less than 15 dollars.
I'm not very familiar with bikes to be honest. Someone said it was a cassette at a local shop so that's what I went with when talking about it. I'll check out the Sunrace. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-18-20, 09:38 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by Chronosvandien
I dont know much about bikes so I'm learning as I go. I haven't been able to find any the same size anyways. Your option sounds like it might be the way to go. Thanks.
Well you're in the right place. We love Miyata's. Check out this thread of people showing off their 1000's for some inspiration.

When you've got 10 posts on the forum go ahead and post some pictures of the bike here and ask whatever questions you may need.
Old 09-19-20, 04:44 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Tell us more about "busting the pawls ". I'm suprised to hear that but, sometimes, English is not useful for explaining things. Have you actually opened the freewheel and found both pawls broken to pieces, getting dragged around inside the mechanism? Or has something happened that lead you to believe that you had busted the pawls?

I'm not suprised at what the Local shop told you. At ours, most folks know very little about vintage/classic bikes. If the owner is not there and I'm not there, a customer will probably not get the right answer. Try another LBS, one with a couple of old farts with grey hair at the benches.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 09-19-20, 05:48 AM
Chronosvandien

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
Tell us more about "busting the pawls ". I'm suprised to hear that but, sometimes, English is not useful for explaining things. Have you actually opened the freewheel and found both pawls broken to pieces, getting dragged around inside the mechanism? Or has something happened that lead you to believe that you had busted the pawls?

I'm not suprised at what the Local shop told you. At ours, most folks know very little about vintage/classic bikes. If the owner is not there and I'm not there, a customer will probably not get the right answer. Try another LBS, one with a couple of old farts with grey hair at the benches.
Yes, I opened it up and they were busted. It locked up the chain in the process and it got jammed and bent. At first i thought it was the chain being that it was original but after i replaced the chain it still acted like it was locking up so I took it apart and found the pawls in pieces.
Old 09-19-20, 06:27 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Wow, bad luck. If that happened to me I would just find another, maybe new, FW. With metal bits grinding around inside the FW body, I would worry about damage to the bearing races, not to be repaired. As to parts, see if the FW is really a Miyata part. I doubt it. Likely Suntour or Shimano. You could, again, acquire another like FW for the parts you need but why? Just use that FW.

Check to see that the width if the new FW is the same. Ensure that the new FW is not French threaded. I have a drawer full of old FWs and very few of those cogs are worn out. Old FWs generally have low mileage and little wear, just dried up grease and it sounds like overhauling an old FW would be easy for you.

I particularly like old Suntour ultra 6spd FWs. They work just great and are relatively easy to service. Any bike co-ops near by?
Old 09-19-20, 07:07 AM
Chronosvandien

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, bad luck. If that happened to me I would just find another, maybe new, FW. With metal bits grinding around inside the FW body, I would worry about damage to the bearing races, not to be repaired. As to parts, see if the FW is really a Miyata part. I doubt it. Likely Suntour or Shimano. You could, again, acquire another like FW for the parts you need but why? Just use that FW.

Check to see that the width if the new FW is the same. Ensure that the new FW is not French threaded. I have a drawer full of old FWs and very few of those cogs are worn out. Old FWs generally have low mileage and little wear, just dried up grease and it sounds like overhauling an old FW would be easy for you.

I particularly like old Suntour ultra 6spd FWs. They work just great and are relatively easy to service. Any bike co-ops near by?
the bearings and races are fine. There was a little damage on the teeth where the pawls engage but I think it would be usable if I replaced the pawls. I think it is a Shimano but I dont have it in front of me at the moment. Like I said I'm new to bikes so I'm not sure of any co-ops. I think replacing the FW might be the way to go.
Old 09-19-20, 07:37 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 932 Posts
Only problem is they're relatively difficult to find, and generally cost more than the average 6 speed FW.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-19-20, 08:01 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 932 Posts
Congratulations on joining the Miyata 1000 Club!!!

Like everyone else- we're looking forward to pictures and helping you get it running excellently!!!

I'm not very familiar with bikes to be honest. Someone said it was a cassette at a local shop so that's what I went with when talking about it. I'll check out the Sunrace. Thanks for the info.
If your bike is anywhere near stock- it's a freewheel. If you haven't discovered RJ the Bike Guy on Youtube- he's got fantastic tutorials on how to do stuff. To me, the best part was he used to do the videos with ordinary, mismatched household tools and "tools of opportunity" like any guy has... he doesn't talk down at you.

This is cool because you see how the freewheel comes off

This video isn't RJ, but it was actually the MOST helpful to me- because he shows how to use a vise to get a FW off- and this is how I still do it. Forward to about 2:30.

the bearings and races are fine. There was a little damage on the teeth where the pawls engage but I think it would be usable if I replaced the pawls. I think it is a Shimano but I dont have it in front of me at the moment. Like I said I'm new to bikes so I'm not sure of any co-ops. I think replacing the FW might be the way to go.
I would ABSOLUTELY not bother with repairing a freewheel. I would personally get a 6 speed freewheel- they're going to be around $15. I just googled "Shimano 6 speed freewheel 12-30". This was the first one I came up with:

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...BoCA8sQAvD_BwE

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-21-20, 10:08 AM
Chronosvandien

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 6 speed freewheel you linked, is it pretty much universal to the hubs? And where can I get the socket to take it apart?
Old 09-21-20, 12:37 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2356 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
Actually, if it's indeed a 1984 One Thousand, the catalog ( https://www.ragandbone.ca/PDFs/Miyat...logue%2084.pdf ) specs a Shimano UG (Uniglide) 5-speed freewheel. It should take a standard Shimano splined freewheel tool.

So how did you take the freewheel apart while it's still mounted to the hub?
Old 09-21-20, 12:53 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked 1,282 Times in 853 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Actually, if it's indeed a 1984 One Thousand, the catalog ( https://www.ragandbone.ca/PDFs/Miyat...logue%2084.pdf ) specs a Shimano UG (Uniglide) 5-speed freewheel. It should take a standard Shimano splined freewheel tool.

They seem to be easiest to work on when left on the hub/wheel, keeps the inner body steady while the locking cone is drifted off and back on, and can be set up level for the best chance at getting the thing back together with the balls staying put.
Old 09-21-20, 12:54 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3854 Post(s)
Liked 6,448 Times in 3,188 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
It should take a standard Shimano splined freewheel tool.
Which is the Park Tool FR-1.

Normally, you would use a hammer and punch on the lockring. Leaving it on the wheel serves better than a bench vise. You'll want to remove the axle first.
Old 09-21-20, 01:04 PM
Chronosvandien

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tool info. I actually used some snap-ring pliers to take the nut off and like you said used the wheel to hold it. That part was pretty simple even though I had never messed with one before. Now that I know what tool I need for the nut I should be good to go once I order the replacement.