Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone use a reflective coating on you bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-15, 11:23 AM
cncwhiz

Bikes: Cannondale synapsis, Giant 29r rigid tail

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I am starting a Build. I have a older road bike that I am building up. It will be ridden a lot. I live rural so bike paths are few and far between. I want my bike to be well seen by cars when I am riding at dusk. I have the frame stripped down to bare metal. Someone before me removed all the badges, stickers, sanded it and painted it with rattle can ugly. Has anybody used a reflective coating that did not look bad in the daytime. Was it in the base coat or painted on after the base coat was done. I want to be able to pick out any color and either make it reflective or put a reflective coating on after paint.
Old 09-02-15, 11:37 AM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cncwhiz
I am starting a Build. I have a older road bike that I am building up. It will be ridden a lot. I live rural so bike paths are few and far between. I want my bike to be well seen by cars when I am riding at dusk. I have the frame stripped down to bare metal. Someone before me removed all the badges, stickers, sanded it and painted it with rattle can ugly. Has anybody used a reflective coating that did not look bad in the daytime. Was it in the base coat or painted on after the base coat was done. I want to be able to pick out any color and either make it reflective or put a reflective coating on after paint.
Paint is expensive to make look good and last on a bike, so I think most would just use reflective stickers.

Stickers can be a pain to remove later depending on the adhesive so multiple stickers may also serve as a theft deterrent, as the more easily identifiable a bike and the more of a pain it is to de-identify it, the better.
Old 09-02-15, 11:56 AM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
If you really want to be seen, wrap your bike in 3M ScotchLite. It even comes in "black"!
Old 09-02-15, 12:37 PM
KenshiBiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andr0id
If you really want to be seen, wrap your bike in 3M ScotchLite. It even comes in "black"!
That' what I did to my winter commuter - only I used blue, to better match the paint. It's not perfect, but then I don't need it to be.
Old 09-02-15, 01:32 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
Maybe if you ask on the commuter forum you'll get more advice. I think there is a shop in the boston area that will paint a bike in reflective paint. There is also a forum about lighting that could be helpful.
Old 09-02-15, 02:34 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Halo Powder coat is reflective HALO® Retro-Reflective Coatings, Anaheim CA, Crest Coating, Inc.

ask your favorite powdercoater what they charge .. My friend, out here, says the electricity to heat the Oven is what costs the most.
Old 09-02-15, 02:44 PM
FRANK CANNON
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
^^Yup.

Old 09-02-15, 08:21 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Note that if you're really wanting to be noticed at dusk, active lighting will probably be a safer bet. Reflectors require an active light source to be effective and there are some motorists out there that do drive without any lights on (for whatever reason).
Originally Posted by andr0id
Check this thread for examples- https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...down-road.html
Old 09-02-15, 08:23 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3146 Post(s)
Liked 1,711 Times in 1,033 Posts
Yeah, I think reflective glass beads can be added as a layer over any color, but the trick is to get the coating of beads even so it looks continous. I don't know how Halo does it, but that's how it should be done. You could sprinkle reflective beads on any wet paint, but the look can be choppy, rough, and subject to rapid wear.

Volvo sells, in some markets, a translucent, reflective, temporary paint called Volvo Cars Life Paint which lasts about a week, if not washed off. It may be an option worth considering, if as a supplement rather than a paint replacement.

I agree that the most sensible option, for a daily-use, any-weather bike, is reflective adhesive tape, like Scotchlite or Lightweights. Bikes see a lot of abuse out in the elements, and replacing sections seems more economical than full repaints, if durability is a concern (excepting VolvoLifePaint).