Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Buy or build a tubular wheelset?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-11-20, 06:01 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 347 Posts

I'm far from a master wheelbuilder, but have probably build a couple of dozen of them over the past ten years, all of which have performed well. I'm now planning to outfit one of my bikes with tubular tires, and am weighing the pros and cons of picking up a good set of used wheels vs. finding a nice set of Normandy Luxe hubs (or something similar; the wheelset is for a 1970s French bike) and building up the wheels myself.

What do the tubular-knowledgeable recommend for a modern-ish rim if I go that route? I like to keep things period-correct if I can, but I tend to default to modern rims when building up bikes that come to me without wheels. Partly that's because I'm a little bit concerned about the safety of used rims, but mostly because I've had some challenging wheel builds when starting with less-than-perfectly-round used rims. Possibly an old but NOS set of rims would be a good choice? I'd welcome some experienced advice about this.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 05-11-20, 06:15 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Rims for a ‘70 would be a basic polished silver box section tubular like a Mavic Monterly Route or maybe an AVA.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-11-20, 06:30 PM
Steven_04

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Honestly like you said used tubulars you can run into issues not perfectly round, glue residue ect. I just built a new set of wheels for a Raleigh professional I just restored. The sun m13II clincher and can could not be happier, trued up perfect. They have a nice norrow vintage profile but eyeletted and double wall so plenty strong.

Last edited by Steven_04; 05-11-20 at 06:35 PM.
Likes For Steven_04:
Old 05-11-20, 06:30 PM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
I recently built a set of tubulars for my Grand Record with Normandy Luxe Competiton and Monthlery Route rims - the rims were NOS and the build went very smoothly. A year or so back I built up a set with Araya 1 Aero rims - lightly used and that went okay, maybe not as smoothly as NOS or new but not onerous either. That said comparing aero to box section rims is probably not indicative..
Old 05-11-20, 06:50 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 347 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Rims for a ‘70 would be a basic polished silver box section tubular like a Mavic Monterly Route or maybe an AVA.
Yeah, I like the look of those old red-label Mavic Montherly rims--they're what came on my previous Gitane TdF, which I bought new in 1971, if I'm remembering correctly that far back.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 05-11-20, 07:20 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 1,386 Times in 758 Posts
I don't have any experience with new tubular rims, but unlike clinchers, i have a feeling that most current production is probably carbon fiber.
Old 05-11-20, 07:30 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,136 Posts
Jon,
I have been using Weinmann rims lately for my builds. For the clinchers it has been the LP18, but haven't looked into tubulars. I am still a big fan of Mavic GP-4, but they are hard anodized and not 70's era correct. And with Mavic up for receivership I'm not sure about a source for them. If your frame can fit a 27" wheel I have a set of NOS Wolber rims. Lemme know, MH
Old 05-11-20, 07:37 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
If you are happy with 25mm wide tires or wider, the Velocity Major Tom is available in a polished version and would look good on a classic build. https://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/major-tom-622
Old 05-11-20, 07:59 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
IMO building new wheels with used rims is a waste of time and I won't do it. If you must, at least check them for flatness against a glass window or something. There are still NOS vintage tubular rims floating around. Try ebay? There was a lot of old stock left in bike shops when tubulars became uncool. It was hard to give them away. I used to have big stack of rims.

Buying a complete built up set has historically been a better way to get a good deal.

I think most modern tubulars are going to be carbon. That Major Tom ^^^ is probably about as good as it's going to get for a modern alloy tubular rim that looks at least a little bit vintage if you get polished. I have the clincher version and have no complaints. The stickers peel off.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 05-11-20, 08:04 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
I haven't built with 70s vintage Tubulars, but I have built two sets of 80s vintage rims. One of the sellers sold the Record hubs separately on eBay and the other seller kept the Record hubs to build a clincher set. I'm sure you could find a nice pair of shiny tubular rims.
Old 05-11-20, 08:11 PM
Classtime 

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
If you are happy with 25mm wide tires or wider, the Velocity Major Tom is available in a polished version and would look good on a classic build. https://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/major-tom-622
I had a pair of Major Toms for CX and when I was done with that, I thought I could use them on the road with 25s. But the radius of the Major Tom bed is greater than the radius of 25mm tires and when mounted, there is not enough contact at the edge.
Old 05-11-20, 08:11 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Jon,
I have been using Weinmann rims lately for my builds. For the clinchers it has been the LP18, but haven't looked into tubulars. I am still a big fan of Mavic GP-4, but they are hard anodized and not 70's era correct. And with Mavic up for receivership I'm not sure about a source for them. If your frame can fit a 27" wheel I have a set of NOS Wolber rims. Lemme know, MH
The name is goofy, but Mavic Open Pro T rims can still be found online. (In silver, too!)
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-11-20, 09:05 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
I also second the building of new rims but if the used rims are in very good shape I would be ok with that too but perfectly round rims make it easier.

if you're in Toronto I have a few anodized rims.
Old 05-12-20, 04:57 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
I had a pair of Major Toms for CX and when I was done with that, I thought I could use them on the road with 25s. But the radius of the Major Tom bed is greater than the radius of 25mm tires and when mounted, there is not enough contact at the edge.
Ok, good to know. Velocity promotes them as a CX rim. Too bad they dropped the Escape. Most of my track riding customers want tubulars, and the rim choices are really slim unless you go carbon. Ambrosio is one option still out there. https://ambrosiowheels.com/en/rims/classics/nemesis/
Old 05-12-20, 05:22 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 1,386 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
I am still a big fan of Mavic GP-4, but they are hard anodized and not 70's era correct. And with Mavic up for receivership I'm not sure about a source for them.
Surely the GP-4 isn't still in production, is it? Looking on the rims page on the Mavic website, I saw one tubular (they don't even offer that as a filter, just clincher and tubeless), the Open Pro T. It's very much not like a classic box section tubular rim, what with its not-quite-box-section profile and machined brake surface.

I did see some Mavic SSC rims on eBay yesterday. Again, anodized, so not really 70s-compliant, but tough (and kinda expensive these days).
Old 05-12-20, 05:44 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
I had a set of polished Major Toms built this past winter for road use. I haven’t used them yet. I wondered about that wider bed radius and compatibility with different widths and brands of tubular tires.

Can I ask what brand of 25mm tubular tire did not have enough contact? I notice that the Major Tom has a nice center channel that I thought would let the thick sew-up part under the base tape not interfere with flat mounting of the tire. I have a set of 27mm Vittoria I could try which would probably be nice if they will clear my frame. But actually, I was hoping to be able to use standard width road tubulars.
Old 05-12-20, 05:46 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
I've been collecting tubular rims over time. Find them on CL occasionally, usually NOS. most of them have been Mavic 330's with an occasional 280. Trick is to find them with the right number of holes. Couple of Campagnolo's in there too. Part of my search list.
Old 05-12-20, 06:46 AM
Classtime 

Originally Posted by masi61
I had a set of polished Major Toms built this past winter for road use. I haven’t used them yet. I wondered about that wider bed radius and compatibility with different widths and brands of tubular tires.

Can I ask what brand of 25mm tubular tire did not have enough contact? I notice that the Major Tom has a nice center channel that I thought would let the thick sew-up part under the base tape not interfere with flat mounting of the tire. I have a set of 27mm Vittoria I could try which would probably be nice if they will clear my frame. But actually, I was hoping to be able to use standard width road tubulars.
They were 25mm Continental Sprinter Gatorskins. I really wanted to make them work. There might have been enough contact for most riding situations but it wouldnt inspire confidence cornering at speed. And I imagined grit collecting in the sticky gap and as the tire flexed in use against the rim there would be some abrasion.
Old 05-12-20, 06:59 AM
semroc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 62 Posts
These are pretty cool CB Italia ? Cerchi in Legno Vintage per Biciclette, Bicycles Wooden Rims, Holzfelgen für Fahrräder, Jantes en Bois pour Bicyclette. I've been thinking about trying the roubaix.
Old 05-12-20, 07:41 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
They were 25mm Continental Sprinter Gatorskins. I really wanted to make them work. There might have been enough contact for most riding situations but it wouldnt inspire confidence cornering at speed. And I imagined grit collecting in the sticky gap and as the tire flexed in use against the rim there would be some abrasion.

That’s a bummer. I built up an 11 speed set with Silver Chris King R45 28 hole front/rear hubs and the polished Major Tom rims. The wheelset is under 1400 grams I believe. I was going to use them on a used Cannondale CAAD9 frame that I picked up. This frameset is from about 2009/2010 era and AFAIK is limited to 25 mm tires clearance wise at the fork and seat/chainstays.

That sticky gap gap would bother me as well. I wonder if you could get better contact with double sided tape? Or perhaps the type of tubular tire that does not have the sewn carcass such as TUFO or Continental Grand Prix 4000 tubular?