Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sora 3500 vs Tiagara 4500 brifter

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-31-20, 11:38 PM
StargazeCyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts

The left brifter of my 2012 TCR is broken (A plastic part of the holding mechanism broke into two - don't think it can be reliably used even if I glue it back). So I am looking for a new (left) brifter. The Tiagara 4500 9 speed group set is what I am now using. Because I am broke I have no plan to change the derailleur. I think my options are
1) 'Downgrade' to a pair of Sora 3500. I am not sure whether it is really a downgrade.
2) Just replace the left brifter with another Tiagara 4500. This costs about half of option 1 but the problem is I didn't found any 4500 right brifter available for sale and I don't know how long the old one will last.
3) ???
I am not very knowledgeable with bikes so what would be the best option?

I suppose I also need some tutorial on how to replace a brifter.
Old 06-01-20, 03:02 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I will have to look, but I think I have an extra left side 4400, 9 speed brifter. Obviously, not a visual match, but a workable option. Right side is always hard to find. I guess they wear out due to the amount of use compared to the left. Let me know if you have interest and I will look. Cost of shipping only, should be the flat rate package of $8.50/8.95, whatever that rate is.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 06-01-20, 07:39 AM
StargazeCyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I will have to look, but I think I have an extra left side 4400, 9 speed brifter. Obviously, not a visual match, but a workable option. Right side is always hard to find. I guess they wear out due to the amount of use compared to the left. Let me know if you have interest and I will look. Cost of shipping only, should be the flat rate package of $8.50/8.95, whatever that rate is.
Thanks a lot. I am in China, so I am not sure about the shipping cost, or how to arrange payment. To compare the 4500 above costs 30 USD, a single Sora left brifter is even slightly cheaper. I guess the main question is, should I replace the right brifter as well?
Old 06-01-20, 08:16 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Shipping it to China definitely cost prohibitive. I would probably replace both of them and have the old one for a spare. I have an Schwinn SS DBX that has mismatched shifters, right 4500 and left 4400. I have replacement for the 4400 If I decide to do that. I am actually leaning towards using the 4500's on an early 90's road bike, it has DT shifters still. I have them in friction mode and am using a 10 speed cassette with them. It shifts great, but I think I would like it more with the STI shifters, That would be a strictly 9 speed set up all the way.