Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone change out perfectly good tyres just to try a new set?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-25-20, 10:24 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

Based on some feedback here on the forums, I ordered a pair of Veloflex tubeless tyres. They arrived a couple of weeks back, and every time I go to take my bike out of the garage, the new tyres are there. Tempting me to give them a spin.

Trouble is, the tyres on my bike right now are perfectly fine (watch, now I've cursed myself ). Anyway. For whatever reason I can't bring myself to swap out the current tyres on my bike just to give the new tyres a go. Doesn't seem right for some reason.

Anyone else have this kind of conundrum? Cheers.
Old 08-25-20, 10:31 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
If the chamois/socks/jersey you’re wearing everyday are good, why change them? Spend the time to swap them out. Live a little. Explore your hobby, delve into pneumatic bliss. Or just go for a bike ride and wave at people wearing bibs, half shorts, long socks, no socks, leather saddles, 3D printed seats, carbon bikes, steel forks, rim brakes, no tail lights, cargo racks...
Old 08-25-20, 10:38 PM
cyclic_eric

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 79 Posts
Maybe the old tires could be used in the winter, and the new veloflexes during the summer?
Or maybe, try to wear out the old ones, by riding hard through the worst roads, chewing them up until they die. Then switch to pristine tarmac for the new velos...
Old 08-25-20, 10:39 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Another recent poster asked the same question in slightly different terms. He was considering buying a different bike while his present bike was still serviceable.

It's a left brain/ right brain question:

A pure left brain thinker sees his bicycle as a tool. He's going to keep his present tires until he has worn them out.
A pure right brain thinker will replace the tires immediately so that he can immediately begin to enjoy whatever advantage he thinks they will provide.

Everybody draws the line between those two thought processes differently. Have fun figuring out which better describes you.
Old 08-25-20, 11:04 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
^^^ at least that’s how Phineas gauged it.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 08-25-20, 11:25 PM
shrimp123

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
hell NO.
now, ship them to me.
Likes For shrimp123:
Old 08-25-20, 11:30 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Sure. Occasionally I'll swap tires and tubes the same day, same bike, and ride the same route, just for a reasonably fair impression of both.

In fact, I did that yesterday. Got a new-to-me wheelset for my old steel road bike. I've been borrowing a wheelset for a friend and need to return them soon. The borrowed set has 700x25 Continental Grand Prix Classic skinwalls with latex tubes -- subjectively the nicest riding combo I've tried on chipeal and rough roads. Been riding 'em for almost two months.

The new/used wheelset is nearly identical -- semi-aero Araya rims, comparable loose bearing cup & cone hubs -- so the hardware shouldn't make much difference. Instead of swapping over the Conti GP Classics and latex tubes, I put on a set of 700x23 Conti Ultra Sport II and fairly lightweight Bontrager tubes.

Yup, riding the familiar route confirmed my impression. The somewhat bigger Conti tires and latex tubes really help.

But the cheaper, skinnier Conti tires and butyl tubes really weren't bad. Just a bit harsher on some pavement. No real difference in grip, overall handling. Mostly just a comfort thing.

Which reminded me why the cheap Conti Ultra Sport II are such a great value at around $15-$20 each. But the GP Classics look nicer and ride just a tiny bit better on chipseal and rough stuff.

A couple of weeks ago I did the same thing with my favorite hybrid. I usually use Continental Speed Rides (nominally 700x42, actually closer to 700x38). Great inexpensive tires. But I had a puncture and slow leak overnight (first in two years on that bike), so I figured it'd be a good opportunity to try a pair of Conti Sport Contact II in 700x32 I got a year or so ago to fit a set of Bluemel fenders that were too narrow for the SpeedRides. I rode the Sport Contact II briefly when I first got them and seemed to recall that I didn't like them. But this time they seem fine. The difference might be the wheelsets. I replaced an older set of wheels with wider rims around 622x19 or so with narrower 622x14. The Conti SpeedRides are really too wide for such narrow rims and lose some handling on fast curves and bumpy roads -- they feel a bit jouncy and squishy, kinda imprecise. But the narrower, firmer Sport Contact II felt fine on the narrower rims.
Old 08-25-20, 11:47 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
yeah, i've done it once or twice. i've eventually gotten around to remounting the older tires on a bike (4 to choose from) when necessary. generally tho, no.
Old 08-25-20, 11:54 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I bought some heavy duty tires for winter and swapped them when some events happened. Write how many miles they have on them on the sidewall and put them aside.
Old 08-26-20, 12:28 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
If you think they might increase your riding pleasure, go for it. Maybe wait for a rainy day.
Old 08-26-20, 01:30 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
The mental anguish of knowing that you have those tires just sitting there is probably more costly than the effort it takes to swap tires. The tires won't get ruined if you take them off. Just be sure not to make this a habit. Or else you'll end up with a stockpile of barely used tires. Sounds familiar...
Likes For smashndash:
Old 08-26-20, 02:05 AM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
I bought a touring bike in 2014; it came with Continental "Town and Country" tires. I went ahead and got a set of Schwalbe Marathons, put them on immediately. They survived the death of that bike in a car crash, and I put them on the replacement bike. 5000 (probably a lot more) miles later, I'm still trying to wear them out. The Continental tires are waiting for their opportunity to serve.
Old 08-26-20, 05:28 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
When I buy a set of tires that I want to try out sooner than waiting for the in-use tires to give reason to take them off, I end up buying a new complete wheel set very soon after the tires are shipped in. Now I have three complete wheel sets. Could go a different way, I could have three additional bicycles....
Old 08-26-20, 06:51 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I do it all the time just because I like riding on the best tires.

Sometimes, a tire can be defective. It doesn't happen often, but it happened to this BF poster and has happened to me twice. In this case it's better to find out sooner when you are still able to return it.
Old 08-26-20, 07:51 AM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Based on some feedback here on the forums, I ordered a pair of Veloflex tubeless tyres. They arrived a couple of weeks back, and every time I go to take my bike out of the garage, the new tyres are there. Tempting me to give them a spin.

Trouble is, the tyres on my bike right now are perfectly fine (watch, now I've cursed myself ). Anyway. For whatever reason I can't bring myself to swap out the current tyres on my bike just to give the new tyres a go. Doesn't seem right for some reason.

I bought the Velo Evos in clincher in the Spring, 25's in black and fell in love with them. I wore them down about 50% and decided I needed good back up tires so I took them off and put on Vittoria's that a friend gave me. I do like the Vittoria's but they are no where near as snappy and agile as the Velo's. I do miss the way they ride and handle. In my case I had no back-ups.
Old 08-26-20, 08:00 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
@AlmostTrick's point about defective tires is a pretty good reason to try them out. Nevertheless, despite having experienced that a couple times, I'm too lazy to replace tires that are still good. Heck, half the time it's too much trouble to rotate front to back when I wear out a rear tire.

OP, you obviously need a couple more posts about how your current tires are wearing like iron after N miles, you haven't had a flat, the sidewalls aren't cracking, etc. Make the jinx work for you!
Old 08-26-20, 08:10 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Sounds to me like you need to buy a new wheel set/cassette to go with those new tires just to make it simple and not have to go through the bother of changing tires.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 08-26-20, 08:51 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
I find it more common on mountain bikes. I’ve done it. Ride a tire and it falls out of favor, swap it out for one that works better.

John
Old 08-26-20, 09:00 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I bought a bike used, still with OEM fitted Continental travel contact tires.. tread designed for trekking , touring on paved and dirt roads..

tread design smooth band down center for pavement, a row of knobs on the edges ,
got so many critics, repeatedly telling me my knobby tires need replacing.. worn down smooth in the center..

I changed to Schwalbe Marathons. Continental model still made, a good tire for the ride anywhere cycletourist..

Old 08-26-20, 09:09 AM
BHG6

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
I've done it a few times when I didn't care for the tires that were on there. The old ones end up in the garage and I use them when I have a blowout or something
Old 08-26-20, 09:17 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I try to only buy new tires when the old ones are worn or otherwise need replacement. This keeps costs down and encourages me to ride more, if only to wear out tires I don't like... or am 'tired' of.

Ironically, I find the tired which are the most pleasurable to ride are lighter and don't last as long. The heavy, thick and slow tires that I like less last much longer.

My current Specialized 'Blackbelt' tires have lasted for about 5000 km and 2,5 years. I can't wait to get these slugs off my wheels. They replaced a set of Panaracer Paselas (the ones without flat protective layers, TG or PT) which made the bike feel lighter and faster, but got too many punctures and needed replacement after about 2000 km.
Old 08-26-20, 10:11 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Great/interesting replies. So far my new tyres are still in the box, on the shelf. I haven't broken them out yet. Still running the existing tyres. I'll inspect them on the weekend. Perhaps it's time for a change.
Old 08-27-20, 01:55 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Yes.

My wife tore hers so I had to get one anyway, got 3 in the end to try them myself. This were Conti 5000s in 28mm, from 25mm Conti 4ks. Obviously I cannot isolate if it is the different tire or the larger size, but it was worth it. More comfortable ride and seemingly more grip in the corners.
Old 08-28-20, 06:33 AM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies

Well what's the plan?
Old 08-28-20, 10:05 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Why, of course!

I keep track of mileage on my components, including tires. Last time I wanted to try new tires, I removed the old ones and folded them up with a little note about how many miles they have. Someday, I'm going to blow out a tire and be happy that my old ones, with only 1,100 miles, are safely stored in a box.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.